can someone tell me why...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: can someone tell me why...

Beno88 wrote:We are a distant last in free kick differential, almost double the next worst..

NM +51
WCE +39
GEEL +26
MELB +12
ESS +7
ADEL +6
GC +6
WB 0
COLL -1
PORT -4
BRIS -5
FREM -7
HAW -10
SYD -10
RICH -12
CAR -19
GWS -20
STK -37

-37 is the worst free kick differential after only 10 Rounds since champion data began.

sort of proves my point doesn't it....but doesn't explain why......how the f*** can the roos get 88 frees more than us in just ten games.....about time the prez put his hand up....can't do us any more harm......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:It's not that the umpires deliberately pick on any one team, it's that they're part-time amateurs who work a day job during the week and umpire on weekends.
I reckon that's basically correct. It's a very hard job to do well - and they're not even getting close to that. It's probably as inconsistent as it's ever been, and we're not very good this year so we end up on the wrong side of that more often than not. I can't see the logical justification for bias though.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Beno88 wrote:NM +51
STK -37
sort of proves my point doesn't it....but doesn't explain why......how the f*** can the roos get 88 frees more than us in just ten games...
One potentially valid explanation could be that our tackling technique is very poor and theirs is very good.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:
STK -37
sort of proves my point doesn't it....but doesn't explain why......how the f*** can the roos get 88 frees more than us in just ten games...
One potentially valid explanation could be that our tackling technique is very poor and theirs is very good.
Incorrect the North v West Coast game proved that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:
STK -37

got an explanation why milne can be basically assaulted mugged and robbed on a footy field without even the maggots blinking an eye????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

i saw four infringments that would have eventuated in a free kick to any other player ...in just one game.....even the commentators...baised as they were...commented on the last one...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

by the way...i don't have a problem with all but two of the frees paid to the doggies.....just with the ones not paid to us...in both the roos and dogs games......

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:got an explanation why milne can be basically assaulted mugged and robbed on a footy field without even the maggots blinking an eye?????
Nah, I have no doubt that they pre-judge him so he always gets the rough end of the pineapple. I just don't think that extends through the rest of the team.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:got an explanation why milne can be basically assaulted mugged and robbed on a footy field without even the maggots blinking an eye?????
Nah, I have no doubt that they pre-judge him so he always gets the rough end of the pineapple. I just don't think that extends through the rest of the team.

roo gets the odd free...but i saw another four or five that he should have got in the doggies game......clear blatant infringements, not paid......

...so that's two treated unfairly for starters....armo is another one who nearly gets his head pulled off in most games without a free being paid.....i could go on.....

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Beno88 wrote:We are a distant last in free kick differential, almost double the next worst..

NM +51
WCE +39
GEEL +26
MELB +12
ESS +7
ADEL +6
GC +6
WB 0
COLL -1
PORT -4
BRIS -5
FREM -7
HAW -10
SYD -10
RICH -12
CAR -19
GWS -20
STK -37

-37 is the worst free kick differential after only 10 Rounds since champion data began.

sort of proves my point doesn't it....but doesn't explain why......how the f*** can the roos get 88 frees more than us in just ten games.....about time the prez put his hand up....can't do us any more harm......
My problem with this, and it seems to be the same view as most posters on here, is that it's the frees that aren't paid the our way that is the reason for the discrepancy.
We absolutely need to address this with the AFL...as we will be -80 by the end of the season if we don't.
We need to go with a two-fold plan...
1. Why are we giving away so many frees...especially inside our defensive 50?
2. Why are our forwards not receiving frees for the same infringements?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
stinger wrote:

NM +51
WCE +39
GEEL +26
MELB +12
ESS +7
ADEL +6
GC +6
WB 0
COLL -1
PORT -4
BRIS -5
FREM -7
HAW -10
SYD -10
RICH -12
CAR -19
GWS -20
STK -37

My problem with this, and it seems to be the same view as most posters on here, is that it's the frees that aren't paid the our way that is the reason for the discrepancy.
We absolutely need to address this with the AFL...as we will be -80 by the end of the season if we don't.
We need to go with a two-fold plan...
1. Why are we giving away so many frees...especially inside our defensive 50?
2. Why are our forwards not receiving frees for the same infringements?

gotta agree with that....

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Possible reasons,
GTs comments still linger
An AFL directive due to a behind the scenes infringement and cover up by the club
Maybe we are smart a$$'s on the field and the umps are paying back

Anyone who has watched the last 18 months of our games,can surely observe we have been obliterated and targeted

Bring back the Lockett era
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Possible reasons,
GTs comments still linger
An AFL directive due to a behind the scenes infringement and cover up by the club
Maybe we are smart a$$'s on the field and the umps are paying back

Anyone who has watched the last 18 months of our games,can surely observe we have been obliterated and targeted
yep...and it only the naive, fooish or afl apologists who fail to see/acknowledge that...imhfo that is....

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Just read an interesting stat (haven't researched it's validity at this stage) that in 2012 the team that got the most free kicks won the match in 89% of games !! That's a staggering statistic. Whilst we recognise that better teams are going to be first to the ball, lay more tackles etc and probably win more free kicks, the fact that the winning outcome so closely tracks winning the free kick count is a real concern.
What about all the teams that are relatively closely matched? We often say that free kicks don't determine the outcome of a game, but the statistics seem to say otherwise....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

[quote="True Believer"]Just read an interesting stat (haven't researched it's validity at this stage) that in 2012 the team that got the most free kicks won the match in 89% of games !! That's a staggering statistic. Whilst we recognise that better teams are going to be first to the ball, lay more tackles etc and probably win more free kicks, the fact that the winning outcome so closely tracks winning the free kick count is a real concern.
What about all the teams that are relatively closely matched? We often say that free kicks don't determine the outcome of a game, but the statistics seem to say otherwise....[/quote]

The Richmond game is a perfect example of a team winning on the back of umpiring its impossible to argue against.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:The umpires didn't pay the mark to Picken.

he stood there for a couple of seconds then kicked the ball......i'd say that he thought he marked it...and the maggots didn't object.....it was either a mark or a free to roo....
Why would the umpires object? There's no rule against standing there with the ball.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It looks like we are targeted. It makes sense. Looking at the stats we finish with the biggest differential every year. Well this year. And look at Roos. The afl obviously want them to succeed.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
stinger wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:The umpires didn't pay the mark to Picken.

he stood there for a couple of seconds then kicked the ball......i'd say that he thought he marked it...and the maggots didn't object.....it was either a mark or a free to roo....
Why would the umpires object? There's no rule against standing there with the ball.
i thought they paid a mark to picken...you say they didn't...we can agree to disagree....but it was either a mark to roo...or a free...neither of which were paid......

resaintlee
Club Player

gringo wrote:One of my tigers mates said we copped it because the umps hated our negative footy under Lyon. A melbourne mate has a theory on assumed shitness. Mine is on bookmakers buying them off.
When something appears to be an obvious answer perhaps it is.
A 10 goal win to North, who'd have backed that?
Can you bet on the number of free kicks?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:
gringo wrote:One of my tigers mates said we copped it because the umps hated our negative footy under Lyon. A melbourne mate has a theory on assumed shitness. Mine is on bookmakers buying them off.

No you cant an many would have thought the roos would win by 10 goals.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
resaintlee wrote:

Of course you can. You can bet on anything. Legally? Maybe not, but Indian bookies and organised crime have corrupted officials in criket, Seria A in Italy, in Sth American soccer, why not something that is so unregulated as the umpires in Aussie Rules.

Are you saying it cant happen even after Mathew Head bragged out fixing games?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
resaintlee wrote:

Of course you can. You can bet on anything. Legally? Maybe not, but Indian bookies and organised crime have corrupted officials in criket, Seria A in Italy, in Sth American soccer, why not something that is so unregulated as the umpires in Aussie Rules.

Are you saying it cant happen even after Mathew Head bragged out fixing games?

Yes i am saying that and yes you maybe able to bet on the frees but I doubt it. Are you actually saying umpires know how many frees they will give in a game?

felix
Club Player

We beat Carlton with us wearing a new jumper the umps forgot we were st Kilda for a bit ...lets wear new jumpers more often...

older saint
SS Life Member

Or perhaps we are undisciplined and second to the ball , which poor clearances will support, and with younger players they tend to give away more frees and do not get any 50/50 calls ( same in all teams young players). Yes there have been games where we have been screwed - Richmond last qtr but there are other reason beside everyone hates us etc'

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yes i am saying that and yes you maybe able to bet on the frees but I doubt it. Are you actually saying umpires know how many frees they will give in a game?
If the biggest sports in the world, baseball, cricket, soccer can have corrupt officials, how can you blanket deny that umpires in Australian Rules, especially ones that are so protected and the rules intrepretations so ambigious, that they cant be corrupted? Why is Aussie Rules so different to every other sport and every other aspect of life that can easily be corrupted.

If you know anything about spot fixing, it would be easy for them to say, NOT GIVE A FREE KICK IN THE FIRST QUARTER TO ONE TEAM. Easy to do that. I am sure that may have even happened in a game recently.

Now of course I am not saying the umpires were paid off on a spot fix bet, but it would be easy for it to happen. Easier in cricket with balls and overs, but still can occur.

but hey you say it cant happen. You give absolutely no reason for WHY it couldn't happen, but apparently because you have umpired you know that it cant happen.

Well thats all the proof we all need then :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:
It's probably as inconsistent as it's ever been, and we're not very good this year so we end up on the wrong side of that more often than not.
How do we explain Melbourne's +12 if you use this theory?

Saintsational Legend

Have a mate who umpired VFL and AFL - good standard umpire and reasonably well known. Has told me on numerous drinking occasions that he grew up supporting Geelong and hated Saints, pretty much we were his "Collingwood". Said it was natural that those biases were brought into games and loved every chance to crucify us.