Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

I wasn't at a great school, but we had history lessons about the terrible things done and it hasn't left me to this day.
Didn't anyone else?

I think it was year 7 from memory.

philtee
Club Player

Terrific posts Twirlyhair and scollop. Sharp, well-reasoned, passionate. A new high for this site!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so when i get asked for a smoke and i say no and then get called a white c***, whats that??

wtf is that?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so when i get asked for a smoke and i say no and then get called a white c***, whats that??

wtf is that?
That is saving your smokes

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you wouldnt believe the shite i got bombarded with at school either

touchy subject racism

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Where does it stop? Just going to go around and around in circles,what's racist,what isn't? Can dissect things to the 1000th degree to make it racist if you want. Then if that's not ok,what about calling people a poof, fat,etc....when is the line crossed?

It's ok to make a stance on being called a poof on the ground,or making a stand against someone being called an ape, but the same person can call some one a fat c*** and that's ok?

The entire topic just has contradiction after contradiction. Analysis paralysis....where is the common sense?

Australians,are we racist, I guess so to the letter of the law,we are also the most multi cultural country in the world where people are free to do what they want no matter where they come from. People walking a suburban street don't get there heads chopped off in public in this country..... we don't have wars. On the whole we all get along,have a look around the world at the race wars/disputes,some perspective please.

If someone is a redneck and crosses the line,then they need there heads pulled in. But really,society needs to toughen up and use some common sense

Bring back the Lockett era
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: It's ok to make a stance on being called a poof on the ground,or making a stand against someone being called an ape, but the same person can call some one a fat c*** and that's ok?
If you dont understand the difference between racial vilification and insulting someone over their weight or hair colour, you shouldn't even try to comment.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

f*** me you know everything joffa

if it is offensive to someone its offensive

the end
full stop

mullet
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:you wouldnt believe the shite i got bombarded with at school either

touchy subject racism
Sorry Matrix, didnt mean to be flippant.

How do you feel when you are called a white c? I would see this as a racist comment also. As I said in an earlier post I get offended when I hear gangs of islanders calling each other "nigger" or "nig" or "nigga". I am neither black or an islander, but I realise how people have fought to get rid of this word and the negative meaning it is to some. Do these islanders realise what they are saying. Reckon people should just respect each other, its a 2 way street. I'm sorry you get called that, just for a smoke.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so when i get asked for a smoke and i say no and then get called a white c***, whats that??

wtf is that?
That is known as racism, but whites are the powerful majority in this country. White men even moreso.

Nobody excuses racism, but if you are aboriginal you have been subjected to racism your whole life. You are an "outsider", you are considered a lesser human.

Even a guy who has won two Brownlow medals, has two premiership medallions and is arguably the ebst of all the indegeneous players. A guy who has reach the top of his profession, has outstayed and outplayed most of his contempories, can still be vilified because of his skin colour.

Basically saying to him, you may have reached the top, but you are still just an abo, and a lesser person than me.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:f*** me you know everything joffa

if it is offensive to someone its offensive

the end
full stop

so its offensive? Didn't say it wasn't.

But it isn't racist.

Sheesh :roll:

Lance or James??

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
jonesy wrote: It's ok to make a stance on being called a poof on the ground,or making a stand against someone being called an ape, but the same person can call some one a fat c*** and that's ok?
If you dont understand the difference between racial vilification and insulting someone over their weight or hair colour, you shouldn't even try to comment.

The racial voice of reason has spoken :roll:

There are people out there who are mentally wounded for life about being teased because they're obese? Is that ok then? Only not allowed if it's either racism,or religious? And before you start labelling me a racist like you normally do to people when you disagree with them on this forum over the years, no I don't think it's ok to be racist in anyway.....my comments were in regards to Harry Obrien....get's on his high horse about homophobia and racism,yet calls a player a "fat ****"

Bring back the Lockett era
matrix
Saintsational Legend

all good mullet
im a white guy but copped it at school from black people for a completely stupid reason that actually had nothing to do with me

another story for another time perhaps

joffa
there is no diff

if THE PERSON IS OFFENDED the feeling that person has is the same
whether its skin color weight sexuality
it matters not
IF ITS OFFENSIVE its all the same

there is no level or degree of what hurts

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Was listening to SEN today and couldnt beleive the crap some people talk. Saying calling Dunstall an ape is the same as Goodes. What crap. Or others saying Goodes should harden up. Then there was a lady said she looked up ape in the dictionary and it doesnt say it is a racist term. It went on and on. Some people have a long was to go on this subject. And there is a difference between calling someone fat and another an ape. Was has put up for 200 years of being regarded as a lesser species. They couldnt even vote for god sake, the other is just coping an offensive word from an obvious d**khead.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:You want him executed?
Yes. that would be a good starting point but does not go far enough!
it should also include the expulsion of the Collingeood Footvall Club from the AFL for bringing the game into disrepute!

That should balance the ledger and be considered a reasonable outcome

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

scenario

a black man is called an ape and he then comments, while you ignorance is funny and actually moronic i have no hatred towards that person who called me that..f*** them im bigger than that but i do not like it and you need some education my friend

a gay person is ridiculed because of his or her homosexuality
it bothers them immensely and actually to the thoughts of doing some harm to themselves

an obese person is ridiculed at school by their fellow classmates
its been happening for years since junior primary, they are obese because of part genetics and part medication for a disease that needs to be treated weekly but the pills make you put on weight

which one is more offensive??

do we give scores out of ten here?????

if its offensive to the person being ridiculed then its OFFENSIVE

2 cents
imo

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:I wasn't at a great school, but we had history lessons about the terrible things done and it hasn't left me to this day.
Didn't anyone else?

I think it was year 7 from memory.
HSC and a book about aboriginals and the discrimination they faced a particularly in Queensland with the Aboriginal Reserves Act. They could only marry with the permission of the reserve manager, they could only leave with permission of the reserve manager.

I think in those days it was considered to be "paternalism" and we're talking about the Bjelke-Petersen days.

I can still recall a friend of my aunt who let the word "b***g" roll of her tongue and couldn't understand why she was told it was an appalling expression.

I would hope the general Australian public have more self control but this episode seems to have exposed whether you are Aboriginal or an asylum seeker etc it's easy to find themselves a target as generally tolerant Australians hide behind the stereo type to justify their behaviour and it.s not a good look.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Was listening to SEN today and couldnt beleive the crap some people talk. Saying calling Dunstall an ape is the same as Goodes. What crap. Or others saying Goodes should harden up. Then there was a lady said she looked up ape in the dictionary and it doesnt say it is a racist term. It went on and on. Some people have a long was to go on this subject. And there is a difference between calling someone fat and another an ape. Was has put up for 200 years of being regarded as a lesser species. They couldnt even vote for god sake, the other is just coping an offensive word from an obvious d**khead.
well said p66.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Was has put up for 200 years of being regarded as a lesser species.
Adam Goodes is 33 years old. That is considerably less than 200 years.
He might have put up with being called names since he started going to school at five. So that's 28 years of name calling but I am guessing that it is far less prevalent now than it was 20 years ago. I get why he is upset...
If a 33yo Jewish man has been teased since primary school he has as much right as Adam Goodes to be upset by a comment about his religion.
If a 33yo fat man has been teased since primary school he has as much right as Adam Goodes to be upset by a comment about his weight.
No group or individual has exclusivity or rank on being offended. Nobody can say that one comment is more offensive than another. If the target of the comment is offended then they are offended. End of story.

The comment clearly still upsets Goodes but that has nothing to do with the 200 years of being a "lesser species". It has more to do with his life...He even admitted that he'd been teased since school about his colour.
Sins perpetrated by our ancestors should not be ours to pay for. The best way to right the wrongs from history is to never repeat them.

Our society now treats everyone the same...well maybe not the gays and lesbians because they still can't marry...but we do not discriminate based on race, religion or gender (except for those women only gyms). Everyone is treated equally and that is the best way of acknowledging the sins of the past. We are getting there and the reaction of this event and the column inches it has dominated show that. Compare this to five, ten, fifteen years ago.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:scenario

a black man is called an ape and he then comments, while you ignorance is funny and actually moronic i have no hatred towards that person who called me that..f*** them im bigger than that but i do not like it and you need some education my friend

it bothers them immensely and actually to the thoughts of doing some harm to themselves

its been happening for years since junior primary, they are obese because of part genetics and part medication for a disease that needs to be treated weekly but the pills make you put on weight

2 cents
imo
You are right Matrix, who can determine just how much someone gets hurt. As Aretha once said R E S P E C T

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Was has put up for 200 years of being regarded as a lesser species.
He might have put up with being called names since he started going to school at five. So that's 28 years of name calling but I am guessing that it is far less prevalent now than it was 20 years ago. I get why he is upset...
If a 33yo Jewish man has been teased since primary school he has as much right as Adam Goodes to be upset by a comment about his religion.
If a 33yo fat man has been teased since primary school he has as much right as Adam Goodes to be upset by a comment about his weight.
No group or individual has exclusivity or rank on being offended. Nobody can say that one comment is more offensive than another. If the target of the comment is offended then they are offended. End of story.

The comment clearly still upsets Goodes but that has nothing to do with the 200 years of being a "lesser species". It has more to do with his life...He even admitted that he'd been teased since school about his colour.
Sins perpetrated by our ancestors should not be ours to pay for. The best way to right the wrongs from history is to never repeat them.

Our society now treats everyone the same...well maybe not the gays and lesbians because they still can't marry...but we do not discriminate based on race, religion or gender (except for those women only gyms). Everyone is treated equally and that is the best way of acknowledging the sins of the past. We are getting there and the reaction of this event and the column inches it has dominated show that. Compare this to five, ten, fifteen years ago.

You just dont get it. it doesnt matter that Goodes has only been racially abused for whatever years. Their race has been abused for 200 years. And now he and many others are sick of it. Have no idea why you would be the Jewish thing into it. Of course he has the same right to get upset. who said he hasnt. And the same with a fat person. he can also get upset but that is different to calling a black person an ape because on the connotation of the word ape. A fat person is actually fat. a black person isnt an ape. And wasnt it you who sad you looked up ape in the dictionary and there was no mention of racist there. The more I think of that the less i think people understand this topic.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Was listening to SEN today and couldnt beleive the crap some people talk. Saying calling Dunstall an ape is the same as Goodes. What crap. Or others saying Goodes should harden up. Then there was a lady said she looked up ape in the dictionary and it doesnt say it is a racist term. It went on and on. Some people have a long was to go on this subject. And there is a difference between calling someone fat and another an ape. Was has put up for 200 years of being regarded as a lesser species. They couldnt even vote for god sake, the other is just coping an offensive word from an obvious d**khead.
well said p66.

Yes well said, unfortunately there are some on here who either haven't got the capacity to understand this distinction or just dont want to understand.

Doesn't matter how many times you point out the above, the same old arguments are throw back.

Anyway we shouldn't be responsible for others ignorance and education, I tried to point out the difference above and was shot down by people who think that calling a black skinned person an ape and being called fat are the same thing :roll:

Heard the same tired old arguments 20 years ago when Nicky raised his jumper, looks like some just dont want to know.

Lance or James??

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

You just dont get it. it doesnt matter that Goodes has only been racially abused for whatever years. Their race has been abused for 200 years. And now he and many others are sick of it. Have no idea why you would be the Jewish thing into it. Of course he has the same right to get upset. who said he hasnt. And the same with a fat person. he can also get upset but that is different to calling a black person an ape because on the connotation of the word ape. A fat person is actually fat. a black person isnt an ape. And wasnt it you who sad you looked up ape in the dictionary and there was no mention of racist there. The more I think of that the less i think people understand this topic.
I do get it. My point is that offence is not exclusive or ranked and that the sins of our previous generations are not ours to pay for.

I am not saying that using the word Ape is OK. But I seriously doubt Adam Goodes thought much about the 167 years prior to his birth when he pointed the girl to the security staff.
Using your logic of "A fat person is actually fat"...Well there have been cases of aboriginal footballers taking offence at being called black. That is their right to do so but explain how that is different.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
matrix wrote:scenario

2 cents
imo
You are right Matrix, who can determine just how much someone gets hurt. As Aretha once said R E S P E C T
Why dont you people acknowledge the difference between racism, and insults directed at a person.

If you are gay and called a homophic name, it is offensive but it doesn't mean you are not gay.

if you are called fat, it is offensive but it may well be true.

If you are black and called an ape, it has the connotation of you being less than a human and this is patently not true. It is based on skin colour and culture, it is based on race supremism.

The Nazi's took this sub human thought to it horrific conclusion. 6 million Jews murdered (they were stigmatised as sewer rats in Geobells propoganda movies) and up to 20 million slavs in Ukraine, and Russia (and other Eastern European countries) the Nazi's referred to as Untermensch (under man or sub human). They also referred to black Colonial French forces in the battle for France as apes, and shot 3000 of them because they had black skin.

TO refer to a human as less than a human is racist. The Japanese were racist toward the Chinese in their 1937-45 war, thought the whites as lesser men.

It is just not white humans who are racist, it is anyone who thinks their "race" is superior and denigrates another human as something less.

Last word on the subject as I think some just dont want to know.

Lance or James??

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

My two bobs worth on the whole thing.

A stupid thing to say by Eddie ... a poor joke ... but there was no intent to vilify and you have to look at intent in these things. I doubt very much that he is racist.

I don't like him as a bloke. I think he's a consummate spin doctor, but I'll defend him on the basis that he's made a stupid mistake.

An apology ought to suffice if he has hurt Goodes' feelings.

Also, it's worth remembering that from an evolutionary point of view we are all apes - along with the gorillas, chimps, bonobos and orangutangs. In fact humans as a species are sometimes referred to as "the fifth ape".

In other words, we are all in it together and if you want to call someone an ape bear in mind that you are looking at one every time you use a mirror.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 30 May 2013 3:21pm, edited 1 time in total.