Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Re: Adam Goodes should promote the King Kong musical

Just underlines that shows like the Footyshow and MMM are underpinned by moronic humour and 'blokey' attitude in order to get laughs and hence ratings. The ha ha belittling of chosen people eg. Milne/Straunies Mum, Sam/Dunstall is an easy translate to acceptable bullying type behaviours when viewed by a teen or child.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:just proves the point everyone saying Saints should have a President like Maguire gotta be kidding

The guy is a fool.

Acted the same way when Brad Cooper handed all the money to Collingwood on sponsorship when HIH insurance went belly up.
I'd take him with all his faults over our no name say nothing create no PR for the club prez.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Viking3
Club Player

Can't wait for the 2 hour Police grilling!
Time to bend over Eddie.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I found this comment even more offensive than the original comment from Friday night. Because Eddie can espouse all the political correctness to earn brownie points from the AFL but underneath this is his true thoughts and his big gob caught him out.

Maybe Goodes will be less unforgiving the next time it happens.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Interesting.

Some here are attacking the person, some are saying its fine to think racist thoughts, some are saying its typical Collingwood.

Focus on the issue. Goodes was called an ape with all the connotations that means for a person of black skin ( ape - less than human, savage, not civilised).

McGuire understand the issue and was very good with his response.

Now McGuire was trying to be funny or ironic and it fell completely and utterly flat. He has apologised because he **** up.

IMO I believe him and dont believe that McGuire is a racist.

However this latest frenzy of hysteria will only arm the real racists out there who will try to use this as some form of proof that it is all "PC gone mad" and that because a bloke made a stupid MISTASKE which he immediately apologised for, he is being hung drawn and quartered.

Lets get real here. Eddie made a bad mistake, but it is a storm in a teacup.

We need to keep sight of the fact that even on this thread approval of racism is being mooted. Apparently to one foolish poster on here, it is OK to think racist thoughts.

Well its not OK to think racist thoughts, its not OK to call an aboriginal an "ape".

Equally it is not OK to raise the hyperbole and hysteria over a poorly though out comment gone flat.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Luv Eddie and the way he goes about things but he has certainly put his foot in it here!

PADDLEPOP1000
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:Just underlines that shows like the Footyshow and MMM are underpinned by moronic humour and 'blokey' attitude in order to get laughs and hence ratings. The ha ha belittling of chosen people eg. Milne/Straunies Mum, Sam/Dunstall is an easy translate to acceptable bullying type behaviours when viewed by a teen or child.

Exactly SSM. Very well put.

markp
Saintsational Legend

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Interesting.

Some here are attacking the person, some are saying its fine to think racist thoughts, some are saying its typical Collingwood.

Focus on the issue. Goodes was called an ape with all the connotations that means for a person of black skin ( ape - less than human, savage, not civilised).

Now McGuire was trying to be funny or ironic and it fell completely and utterly flat. He has apologised because he **** up.

However this latest frenzy of hysteria will only arm the real racists out there who will try to use this as some form of proof that it is all "PC gone mad" and that because a bloke made a stupid MISTASKE which he immediately apologised for, he is being hung drawn and quartered.

We need to keep sight of the fact that even on this thread approval of racism is being mooted. Apparently to one foolish poster on here, it is OK to think racist thoughts.

Well its not OK to think racist thoughts, its not OK to call an aboriginal an "ape".

Equally it is not OK to raise the hyperbole and hysteria over a poorly though out comment gone flat.

Agree with this. Reckon he was trying be ironic and missed by the length of the MCG.
Am more concerned by posters on here who think it's ok to be a quiet racist and not an overt one. Amazing that someone would say they're not a racist because they think racist thoughts but don't say them. Am not surprised though that particular poster would think so. The ugly underbelly of Australian racism right there folks.
And then come the denials, "I'm not a racist, I'm definitely not". Yeah right. You definitely are.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Im humourless or thick or both I don't get the irony or attempted joke he was going for?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Let's remember that Eddie is a minor in all of this.

A minor moron.

He should understand how to be PC by now surely?

Nothing wrong with thinking what he said, but don't say it publically!

Doesn't he know the difference between off air and on air yet??

So it's ok to be a racsist as long as you're all pc about it?
It's ok to think what he said but don't say it publically, that's what I mean.

We don't have to like all races and religions, but we have to tolerate and not publically abuse others that's all I'm getting at.
No. It's not ok to think that because it's called bigotry. It's not a matter of liking anyone or anything but assessing someone on what kind of person they are, regardless of their race, religion and ethnic background.

I love the word tolerance in this context. You're black, you're gay, you're whatever. I tolerate you; I hate you but I put up with you.
Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 29 May 2013 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
noddy04
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Interesting.

Totally agree joffaboy.

markp
Saintsational Legend

He has form though, let's not forget his falafel eater comment or mocking of gay figure skaters during the winter olympics.

He didn't criticise his (then) coach (or his cheer squad for that matter...) for publicly calling one of our players a rapist, then has a go at a fan for making a comment about krakouer kicking a head instead of a ball.... a hypocrite is what he is.
"The position at the moment is that Leon wants to talk to Rex to make sure that Rex understands the impact of his comments, whether they were implied or otherwise on Friday night.

"He's not particularly rapt with it. The AFL, Collingwood Football Club and Leon and his family are determined to make sure people understand the depth of that hurt. When Michael (Long) says that zero tolerance is the AFL's level of tolerance – it means zero tolerance. And, that's for everyone in football.

"I don't think Leon has a problem if Rex wanted to call him a hack or he can't kick or he's no good at football or anything like that. I know that Rex is sorry and I know that that's from his heart, and I have no problem with that. It was clumsy, okay – it hit a nerve, obviously.
Who said that?

http://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/4251

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Have listened a few times now, surely Big Ed was pissed, hungover or had some rubbish up his nose - he was out of it and struggling.

Showed his true "colour".

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

No. It's not ok to think that because it's called bigotry. It's not a matter of liking anyone or anything but assessing someone on what kind of person they are, regardless of their race, religion and ethnic background.

I love the word tolerance in this context. You're black, you're gay, you're whatever. I tolerate you; I hate you but I put up with you.[/quote]
Plus 1, St.Pav. Well put, sir.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gee I never knew there was "Thought Police". If someone thinks something but never acts or says anything then you don't know what they are thinking.

So it's ok IMO to not like all races/religions provided you don't voice your opinion against them in any form that can be of harm!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Ludicrous to think that every person has no biases or prejudices.

Every person is entitled to their own thoughts, whether they be about race, age, gender, politics, religion etc. Plenty bleating about how pure they are sure have a lot to say about their bias regarding politics and religion.

It's just that they don't always need to be verbalised.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Gee I never knew there was "Thought Police". If someone thinks something but never acts or says anything then you don't know what they are thinking.
Of course you dont know what they are thinking - however you said it was OK to think racist thoughts. Taking that to its logical conclusion, it is OK to think Adam Goodes is an ape, or Jeff Garland is a petrol sniffer (as i heard a Saints supporter call him and Eddie Betts), or Nicky Winmar is a black see you next tuesday as he and Gilbo were called all those years ago.

Bigroty is not just an overt issue. It's not a case of dont mention the war.
saintspremiers wrote:So it's ok IMO to not like all races/religions provided you don't voice your opinion against them in any form that can be of harm!
However do you think racists or discriminatory things about them? Would you be comfortable with people thinking - "Hitler was right, all those Jews should have been exterminated"?

Well any right thinking person would think it is wrong, not OK as you said.

because in the end, thoughts lead to mumbles under your breath, which leads to word and then actions.

You cannot divorce your thoughts from your actions. One begets the other.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Every person is entitled to their own thoughts, whether they be about race, age, gender, politics, religion etc. Plenty bleating about how pure they are sure have a lot to say about their bias regarding politics and religion.
You seriously telling me that you equate debating politics and religion with calling a black person an ape?

Goodness me - there is no moral equilivence, and there is no comparision.

Regardless of your beliefs, you still are a human.

Racism attempts to dehumanise and belittle.

there is absolutely no comparision.

Lance or James??

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He linked Adam Goodes with King Kong no different from what the 13 year old girl did . . . she was branded racist but Eddie apparently was just having a joke and can be excused because he was tired.

Racism has a face . . . . the Collingwood Football Club!!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
markp
Saintsational Legend

What he said is worse than what the kid said because many will take it as permission to mock those who are offended by racist taunts, and conclude that 'it's only what everyone really thinks anyway'.

The fact is that footy represents the front line on issues like racism due to the broad demographic range of it's followers, and people like eddie are looked up to and admired by many of our less washed and least toothed.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

June 05, 2011: An AFL supporter got a very public dressing down from Eddie McGuire after he allegedly made what McGuire described as 'borderline racist' comments during last night's Collingwood St Kilda match.

lummox
Club Player

Such eloquence.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I am afraid I cannot understand how he can even have the thought. How would you even think that. I have seen all the King Kong publicity too and never once did Adam Goodes come to mind.

I can only think he must have been out of his mind, whether tired, or lack of concentration, who knows.

But it isnt up to me and how I feel, it is up to Adam Goodes and apparantly he is hurt badly again, what a week Adam.

One thing though, and it prob makes no difference to Adam, but I admire him a lot more than I did last week, and understand a lot more how words can cut deep.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

All the "holier than thou" stuff going on is this thread is nauseating.
We all have on occasion had racist thoughts because we are human and all have the frailties that go with being human.
Anybody who says they have never had a racist thought is either lying or horribly self deluded.

Is this 13 year old girl racist because she called Adam Goodes an "ape" or because he perceived a racist intent behind it?
If it is just the statement why then has Neil Mitchell not been pilloried for calling Buddy Franklin a "Gorilla" last week?
There is very little difference between the word ape and the word gorilla and both players are of aboriginal extraction.
Is it just because we know the intent behind it?
Do we know what the young girl intended or even Eddie for that matter?
It is very easy to play the race card when any disparaging comment is made against a member of a minority group.
I was once accused of racism for calling Leon Davis a hack, a definition with no relevance to race what so ever.

Racism is abhorrent and must be stamped out but we must not allow it to descend into a witch hunt.