Watters needs to stop kidding himself

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters needs to stop kidding himself

Con Gorozidis wrote:Senior 6 for 2014

1. Roo
2. NDS
3. Joey
4. Dempster
5. Gwilt
6. Gilbo/or/Fisher

I think thats it.

Milney, Kosi, Blake, Lenny and CJ will all retire.

We will trade one/keep one of Fisher and Gilbo.

I reckon the way SW has spoken he will not want all them to retire. If Lenny can get some form back after injury I would think he will definitely be asked to play on. You have 5 out Con plus delisting. That will be far to many off the list in one year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Len dog is done.

And Schneider is the worlds oldest 29 year old. Might also be done.

Look im a big supprter of SW. I only have one major beef with him and this is a general comment that all coaches - no matter who you are should stick to coaching. Stay out of contracts and stay out of recruiting. It is pretty clear he got personally involved in recruiting Maister, Lee and TDL to the club (all from Subi). Leave recruiting to recruiters. If the the recruiter says I want to go for Rich can you give him a call as you know him from Subi - thats fine - but let the recruiter run recruiting and dont pressure him to bring your old mates to the club. Thats amateur hour crap.

end of rant

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I reckon the way SW has spoken he will not want all them to retire. If Lenny can get some form back after injury I would think he will definitely be asked to play on. You have 5 out Con plus delisting. That will be far to many off the list in one year.
If we give lenny and fisher another year and they spend 2014 not playing or hobbling on one leg and ferguson and lever go to other clubs and become guns I will totally spew.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If we give lenny and fisher another year and they spend 2014 not playing or hobbling on one leg and ferguson and lever go to other clubs and become guns I will totally spew.
I have no idea where you get these ideas from.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
tony74 wrote:Anyone who doesn't think Scott is the right coach for our club just watch the interview on 360 tonight. He is the one to take us forward.
what did he say?
Nothing particularly exciting for mine but he did definitely say "Stevens" twice when referring to our Jack. I'm beginning to suspect he's just being a smart-arse.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/watters ... 5914646252

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Did anyone on here notice that Scott had Reiwoldt on the bench when we had two forward thrusts in the last quarter when we were only a few points up?
It came in and we had zero forwards there.
I think NDS was there next to him on the bench - and Lennie was subbed off - injured I guess.
Anyway - my first thought was "Oh this is what tanking is."
Then Roo came on in the last few minutes but Foots had got three goals and the game was lost.
Maybe it was just our "normal" rotation - or bad coaching - but I would not rest Roo with 6 points in the game if I were coach unless it was super important - get a goal and nail the victory first.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's amazing how close we were last year in so many games and how different things might have been had we made the finals. This year I'd prefer that we lose the tight games and get as high a draft pick as possible.

The big picture is more important for the future of our footy club than banking the 4 points or taking it one week at a time

Maybe if RL had an eye on the future and an eye on the finals in 2009 instead of banking the 4 points or taking it one week at a time we might have had a second cup in the trophy cabinet. Still don't understand the benefit of trying to win games after round 15 or 16 when top 2 was sown up in '09. He didn't use the depth of the list, the boys were not fresh and firing come September and some of our regulars were worked into the ground. RL's failure also means our membership is where it is now - instead of SKFC having 50K plus in members had he focused on the bigger picture

dragit
Saintsational Legend

That's one of the best yet scollop... Ross Lyon has cost us 18,000 mbers this year... That makes perfect sense.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:That's one of the best yet scollop... Ross Lyon has cost us 18,000 mbers this year... That makes perfect sense.
If there's a war with North Korea you know who's at fault there too don't you :wink: :lol:

Seriously though - have a listen to this and tell it's not wise to plan for September when top 2 is sown up;

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/548982

felix
Club Player

What annoyed me about Lyon and finals was the old it's just round 26 or whatever it's just another game bulls*** Ross it's the bloody grand final it's not just another game..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Which idea? That Lenny and Fisher wont play much longer?

Ok youre right - Lenny and Fisher will play and be awesome and never get injured until 2056.

Happy now?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ok youre right - Lenny and Fisher will play and be awesome and never get injured until 2056.

Happy now?

Your record with telling us about injuries isnt great. Remember Rooy. How is anyone going to know if Lenny or Chips will be injured next year and tell us about Lever. i have seen a few sandy games and no nothing of him. You must have seen more than me.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Happy now?

Your record with telling us about injuries isnt great. Remember Rooy. How is anyone going to know if Lenny or Chips will be injured next year and tell us about Lever. i have seen a few sandy games and no nothing of him. You must have seen more than me.
I got Rooeys knees wrong thats for shizel (although maybe in the older days I would have been right.... but I certainly did underestimate new medical procedures).

Re Lever - I asked the question for discussion. I could have easily said 'Ferg' or "Staley" but as usual you make me explain the obvious - i was pointing out that a 'young tall in good form at sandy' will be de-listed next year if we keep all our old players.

And Ill say it again. Lenny is done.

You also keep going on on about Ray - clearly he hasnt developed as a player as I expected which is quite disappointing. But my comment wasnt as crazy and mis-directed as you make out. Clearly we have a massive leadership vacuum in the 25-28 age group which is typically where the next captain would come from. There is still no obvious successor to Roo on this front. So as much as you think you are bashing me on this - the issue is a troublesome one for us.

Anyway - lets not get sucked into a typical plugger "me against you' thing which you love so much.

Im just saying IMHO - Lenny is playing his last season right now and old father time has caught up with him.

And Fisher is a shadow of his former self. Sure his stats looked ok last weekend but hes a smart player and knows how to keep cheat stats. But in 09/10 the guy was simply amazing with his intercept marking. He rarely if ever does that anymore.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Happy now?

I got Rooeys knees wrong thats for shizel (although maybe in the older days I would have been right.... but I certainly did underestimate new medical procedures).

Re Lever - I asked the question for discussion. I could have easily said 'Ferg' or "Staley" but as usual you make me explain the obvious - i was pointing out that a 'young tall in good form at sandy' will be de-listed next year if we keep all our old players.

And Ill say it again. Lenny is done.

You also keep going on on about Ray - clearly he hasnt developed as a player as I expected which is quite disappointing. But my comment wasnt as crazy and mis-directed as you make out. Clearly we have a massive leadership vacuum in the 25-28 age group which is typically where the next captain would come from. There is still no obvious successor to Roo on this front. So as much as you think you are bashing me on this - the issue is a troublesome one for us.

Anyway - lets not get sucked into a typical plugger "me against you' thing which you love so much.

Im just saying IMHO - Lenny is playing his last season right now and old father time has caught up with him.

And Fisher is a shadow of his former self. Sure his stats looked ok last weekend but hes a smart player and knows how to keep cheat stats. But in 09/10 the guy was simply amazing with his intercept marking. He rarely if ever does that anymore.

The point i was getting at is you have about 5 retiring plus delisting. There is no point in retiring Lenny to get pick 130. That is plain stupid. And if they decide Lenny is more important than Lever then I think they are making the correct decision. Con most players dont make it and many dont get games because the coaches who watch every game know some are just wrong picks. Lenny is injured at the moment. his form was still netter than about 15 players when he was fit. As usual you go early. And spewing about keeping 2 AA over guys who havent got a game in 2 and half and one and half years makes more sense than what you propose.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Scott Waters gets my vote of confidence. He inherited a group devoid of class players under about 28 years of age. It will take time to rebuild a team, as far as I'm concerned Watters and Pelchan are going about it the right way. They have my support.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If possible, Lenny needs to play one more year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote:Scott Waters gets my vote of confidence. He inherited a group devoid of class players under about 28 years of age. It will take time to rebuild a team, as far as I'm concerned Watters and Pelchan are going about it the right way. They have my support.
+2!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Scott Waters gets my vote of confidence. He inherited a group devoid of class players under about 28 years of age. It will take time to rebuild a team, as far as I'm concerned Watters and Pelchan are going about it the right way. They have my support.
+3
He inherited a few kids and a heap of battle scarred old blokes who had climbed the mountain several times and walked down the other side empty handed.

They are doing well in the circumstances.

I dont think SW is kidding himself - but I think he is trying to win enough games to keep his job - and also do a rebuild. Not easy unless the Board come out and back him.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 30 May 2013 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

karnaby
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:If possible, Lenny needs to play one more year.
That's a really interesting thought.

With the likelihood that there will be plenty of turnover at the end of this season I can see a lot of sense in having Lenny around, even if he only managed to play half a dozen games. Yes, we'd lose the chance that pick #90+ wouldn't develop into a player for us but it would offer great support for those young players that we'll all be basing our hopes on in the future.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

karnaby wrote:
SaintPav wrote:If possible, Lenny needs to play one more year.
That's a really interesting thought.

With the likelihood that there will be plenty of turnover at the end of this season I can see a lot of sense in having Lenny around, even if he only managed to play half a dozen games. Yes, we'd lose the chance that pick #90+ wouldn't develop into a player for us but it would offer great support for those young players that we'll all be basing our hopes on in the future.

There's some real merit in the idea, but be prepared for some real screeching from some of B4E's famous "wrist wranglers" on here..... :lol: :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
AP Erebus
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
+3
He inherited a few kids and a heap of battle scarred old blokes who had climbed the mountain several times and walked down the other side empty handed.

They are doing well in the circumstances.

I dont think SW is kidding himself - but I think he is trying to win enough games to keep his job - and also do a rebuild. Not easy unless the Board come out and back him.
+4

I don't think he's trying to win games to keep his job, he's trying to win games because that's what the whole idea of this sport is. After watching the AFL 360 interview, it's clear they have a plan and are recruiting and team selecting to that plan. You don't want to burn out the kids too early in the season, because that's when they get injuries that become recurring injuries later on in their careers.

He's absolutely right on keeping older blokes around to protect the young kids. Melbourne is a perfect example of what happens if you don't do that.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.