Drop Dal Santo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

Drop Dal Santo

Said on The Footy Show his contract stipulates he has another year subject to good health.

He is playing in preservation mode IMO.

Players like him should be setting the standard for our young brigade.

Send him back to the twos, and send the message that anyone not prepared to give their all will not don the jumper.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Drop Dal Santo

Gotta agree. He's not working hard enough.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Our problem is that WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH QUALITY MIDFIELDERS. Dal Santo is a quality "Outside" midfielder who cops a hard tag every week. If we had another 2 or 3 QUALITY inside-outside midfielders we would be better able to spread the load. I say keep Dal for another couple of years and allow him to help teach/develop our midfield of the future !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

As i mentioned earlier haw can you tell he isnt trying?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As i mentioned earlier haw can you tell he isnt trying?
Because he has been beaten in nearly every quarter of footy he has played this year. He looked ok in the Carlton game and that was mainly because he was given a job to do himself.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Because he has been beaten in nearly every quarter of footy he has played this year. He looked ok in the Carlton game and that was mainly because he was given a job to do himself.

So Milne isnt trying or kosi or Maister or Fisher or Just about half the side. looks like he is trying to me but getting a hrd tag and lacking form and confidence.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Happy to see NDSgiven a tagging run with roll,re carlton game

Dont go with the not trying bit,imo he is trying.................very trying

Allways been a big fan of NDS,so a tagging role may get him back into some better form

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

So Milne isnt trying or kosi or Maister or Fisher or Just about half the side. looks like he is trying to me but getting a hrd tag and lacking form and confidence.
I have no idea why you are mentioning other players because this thread is about Dal and I am writing about my opinion on Dal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I have no idea why you are mentioning other players because this thread is about Dal and I am writing about my opinion on Dal.

I needed to tell you about other players to prove you are dumbing people down. Please post something that will help peoples IQ.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

We need to persevere with him - no-one else with his skills and/or potential. His weekly heavy tagger will then move on to Joey and cut down his efficiency.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:We need to persevere with him - no-one else with his skills and/or potential. His weekly heavy tagger will then move on to Joey and cut down his efficiency.

Exactly right. That is also the reason you dont retire or trade most older players even though none of them will be around in next upward period. It is better the older guys get the tag rather than guys learning the game.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I needed to tell you about other players to prove you are dumbing people down. Please post something that will help peoples IQ.
I still have no idea why you are mentioning other players in a thread about Dal. What I do have an idea about is that you always go the man when you are in discussion with someone that has an IQ higher than my dog.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I still have no idea why you are mentioning other players in a thread about Dal. What I do have an idea about is that you always go the man when you are in discussion with someone that has an IQ higher than my dog.

Firstly i was joking just like you do to me but obviously you just cant get it today and secondly I was pointing out that your reason for Dal proving he isnt trying is illogical otherwise those others I mentioned are also not trying.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
And Carrazzo was a late withdrawal.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
And Carrazzo was a late withdrawal.
Put' his Carlton game into perspective then. More and more people are observing that he is not trying hard enough including the coach who recently challenged him in public. I know there are others in the team that aren't giving us what they have in the past but and I reckon it's time we turned up the heat on Dal. He's got no trade value so he should take a leaf out of Roos book and show some pride in his work while he plays out the end of his career.

StNoodles
Club Player

I don't think he's 'not trying'. As I said I reckon he's playing in preservation mode. We all know what he is capable of, and he's not producing that. You don't lose your ability so drastically over a matter of months. Is he injured? If so, rest him.

I love Dal -- I reckon he's a great clubman and a wonderful presence for the younger guys off the field, but needs to do what's expected of him on the ground to really give the next generation an understanding of what playing for this club is all about.

Just my take.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He hasn't looked match fit all season. Possibly carrying a niggling injury. Perhaps he needs some respite.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Greg T
Club Player

Maybe the competition is catching up with Dal.
It seems the whole side have fitness queries hanging over them at the minute.
Perhaps he is getting ready to move on.
He is not the only problem down there at the moment either.
Seems unmovtvated.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Hallalj#3
Club Player

He isn't trying hard enough, i don't think, he runs on the spot and that upsets me weekly loves to carrel. Tackle go to the ball carrier don't just carrel. But i've said it before he would be an exceptional HB at this stage of his career. Lyon sent him back about this time in 11 and got confidence up and had his best ever year. Played on Watson last year and did great. i dont know why Watters hasn't tried this. He has to try something.

Richter
SS Life Member

I doubt that he is in the top 3 in the Brownlow or on All Australian form. Seriously with his talent he should shine every year. And if he doesn't it must mean that he can't be bothered.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
defacto
Club Player

StNoodles wrote:Said on The Footy Show his contract stipulates he has another year subject to good health.

He is playing in preservation mode IMO.

Players like him should be setting the standard for our young brigade.

Send him back to the twos, and send the message that anyone not prepared to give their all will not don the jumper.
pretty much

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Can't see the situation improving for him or the team, with NDS in the magoos. All up for him being used in a different role, but the comment above re: shifting the tag from NDS to Monty is very appropriate. He needs to work harder and persevere at this level, he's not a kid, he doesn't need a smack on the wrist.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:He isn't trying hard enough, i don't think, he runs on the spot and that upsets me weekly loves to carrel. Tackle go to the ball carrier don't just carrel. But i've said it before he would be an exceptional HB at this stage of his career. Lyon sent him back about this time in 11 and got confidence up and had his best ever year. Played on Watson last year and did great. i dont know why Watters hasn't tried this. He has to try something.
He's getting a heavy tag every week which hasn't happened much in the past. Drop him and Steven will get the tag.

As a matter of interest what does a "small cubicle with a desk for the use of a reader or student in a library" have to do with anything? That's what a carrel is.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Hallalj#3
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:He isn't trying hard enough, i don't think, he runs on the spot and that upsets me weekly loves to carrel. Tackle go to the ball carrier don't just carrel. But i've said it before he would be an exceptional HB at this stage of his career. Lyon sent him back about this time in 11 and got confidence up and had his best ever year. Played on Watson last year and did great. i dont know why Watters hasn't tried this. He has to try something.
He's getting a heavy tag every week which hasn't happened much in the past. Drop him and Steven will get the tag.

As a matter of interest what does a "small cubicle with a desk for the use of a reader or student in a library" have to do with anything? That's what a carrel is.

Don't know how to spell the word mate but guarding space is what I mean.

And if you don't think Dal Santo hasn't had a hard Tag his whole career well then your not watching properly.
Last edited by Hallalj#3 on Mon 27 May 2013 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Superboot
SS Life Member

Dal is a Rolls Royce kind of player. Like Dennis Bergkamp. He just glides about and never looks like he's trying. He never has looked like he's trying.

It hasn't mattered until now.