S*** preseason = S*** season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

S*** preseason = S*** season

Obviously we were on the slide anyhow, but I reckon our preseason was horrible. A lot of our senior players had interrupted one's,if they didn't then they got injured early. Then we played in extreme heat in every game which didn't help.

Looking at us at the moment,we look the unfittest and flattest club in the comp next to GWS.

If you have to many carrying/recovering players with a poor fitness base it can only lead to disaster.

Last night, Gwilt,Fisher,Dempster,Hayes. Gilbert in the stands....no wonder our defensive pressure is shot.

We were leaders under Misson, how quickly things can change

Bring back the Lockett era
Kernal75
Club Player

Re: S*** preseason = S*** season

Also have a few kids who can't run out games! Lets face it, the road back is going to be a long and arduous one! No amount of pre-season work will make up for the lack of quality we have at present!

lummox
Club Player

Yeah, remember our s*** 2009 NAB cup? We were a joke that year, no wonder everyone tried to forget it.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I am not talking about Nab cup score board performances. More in preseason fitness bases...we had a shocker this year,add that to a new group of so so kids,and it's a recipe for disaster as we are currently seeing

Bring back the Lockett era
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree. I know that team structure is important, but clearly Fisher is carrying a leg injury (foot/ankle?). He should be rested until he is right to go again, as we need him firing on all cylinders, not at 50% as he is now.

Colorado doesn't seem to have made any physical difference at all to team fitness.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

how many playing now went to colorado?
did webster ross newnes etc all make that trip?

maybe it takes a year for the altitude training to kick in

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:how many playing now went to colorado?
did webster ross newnes etc all make that trip?

maybe it takes a year for the altitude training to kick in
I think it's a case of we don't know for sure. There are contradictory research findings on this. Some suggest that you need t o create a cumulative effect, as in have multiple doses of it for it to make a difference. Others suggest that it makes very little difference at all. Sustained exposure seems to be the way to ensure maximum effect. So other than living and training at altitude, you could be wasting your time. I believe it's why some clubs have altitude "rooms" so players sleep in an atmosphere that replicates the thinner atmosphere. Frankly, if it makes such a difference, wouldn't every club be doing it? i think it might be a case of following, rather than creating new trends.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Poor pre season was identified last year.... Laughed off by experts and an expensive loss in R1 was a lesson

This pre season was even worse.... Warning signs were evident again.

We were never gonna recover from the GC loss.... Belief is gone

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Poor pre season was identified last year.... Laughed off by experts and an expensive loss in R1 was a lesson

This pre season was even worse.... Warning signs were evident again.

We were never gonna recover from the GC loss.... Belief is gone

Makes you wonder why you would have had them in the eight then seeing as you knew all this beforehand. Maybe its the great hindsight coming out again.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Excellent

supersaints
Club Player

Personally I reckon we might have erred getting that guy from the western bulldogs. Their level of fitness under him is about were we are at. They faded out in games just as we are , it's not just the young players either. Couldn't believe it when we went out and recruited him. Major stuff up......

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We have plenty of ageing players and their bodies aren't as resilient. Fisher, Gwilt, Dempster, Stanley, Simpkin added to the losses of gram and Goddard and any team will struggle. That's a good backline all decimated by injuries- then as someone said Gilbert and Wright went down. Roberton and gears are the only defenders not injured yet. Put them in a bubble now.