Bloody Ross. Lyon that is

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Bloody Ross. Lyon that is

After leaving our list a mess Lyon seems to have learned his lesson and has named three debutantes for Freo's game against Melbourne.
I hope and believe Waters will do the same when we play Melbourne and give a soft game to a few of our youngsters along with the ones who absolutely deserve their spot.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bloody Ross. Lyon that is

This serious? Lyons last year Ross was playing kids, our kids at the time were t that great.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:This serious? Lyons last year Ross was playing kids, our kids at the time were t that great.

People propogate the myth dont they? in 2011 Lyon played something like 8 debutantes. Admittedly most were crap from the lousy 2008-10 recruiting, but he was playing them.

Why do people make up idiot lies?

Can Lyon develop a list? Well so far he hasn't because he took overt wo teams after the hard work was done. if he leaves Freo as **** as our list well it will show he is a parasite and cant develop.

But he did play the kids in 11

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

He may of played many debutantes in his final year but when we were a very good side he didnt blood enough.
Perhaps they weren't good enough.
Armo and Big boy could of had some more games against the lower sides to fast track them
King and Gards didnt have to play together each week
Nobody does it better than Geelong who often make two changes a game to keep the stars fresh and new blood going through
When your play in a good team it is easier for a debutant to come in and do their role

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:He may of played many debutantes in his final year but when we were a very good side he didnt blood enough.
Armo and Big boy could of had some more games against the lower sides to fast track them
Nobody does it better than Geelong who often make two changes a game to keep the stars fresh and new blood going through
When your play in a good team it is easier for a debutant to come in and do their role

Pretty sure Ben played plenty of games for a young ruckman. Armo played 11 in his second year when we made the finals. Steven had bad grions. The rest of them werent good enough. Geelong can afford to do it better because they have better players. The didnt rest guys in the year they won the flag against PA and didnt rest them in the year they beat us until they lost the home and away game against us.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Armo played three games in 09 which was his third year.
I remember going down to Tassie that year when we did have a heap of changes and Armo step into a good team and was BOG that was a win.
He only played two more games that year.
I refuse to believe all the other draftees other than Big boy and Armo were any good

Freebird
Club Player

We had so many rejects/gops from other clubs in lieu draft picks that it minimised the chances of drafting potential

Greg T
Club Player

It was always going to be difficult to make wholesale changes to
a winning formula
When you win 19 games in a row, i would suggest team balance,harmony was achieved.
Watching that year, we new barring injury,you wouldn't have a lot of player movement not
To upset the perfect balance we had.Hence,no chance to bring in the new blood.
He achieved what had to be done,Grand Finals.Thats what we all wanted.
Ultimately , who was responsible for the recruiting ?Im sure Lyon didn't have full control of that.
Top up players worked,what a great ruck combo we had in Gardner/ King .

Unfortunately you have to run with what works,and to me,stability is the key.
Anyone who thinks he can't develop sides ,only needs to look at us and Freo.
He demands success and the sides play accordingly IMO....
See who plays finals this year

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:I refuse to believe all the other draftees other than Big boy and Armo were any good

How many are still there now?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Greg T
Club Player

Freebird wrote:We had so many rejects/gops from other clubs in lieu draft picks that it minimised the chances of drafting potential
We played in 2 very winnable Grand finals ,that was always going to be the trade off IMO.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Hallalj#3
Club Player

People think he can't develop a list? I thought if players improve under ones leadership that's what devleoping a list is all about IMO. A hell of alot of players got better under Ross then didn't.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Geelong obviously handled the rebuild better. I think he has learned a lot from his time at the Saints and there waon't be as many stop gaps. Freos board are pretty rigid in having a development program in place. probably have someone overseeing him too.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Goose is king wrote:I refuse to believe all the other draftees other than Big boy and Armo were any good

That's not the point. If he had of played them, they would've got better. :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our recruiting of kids was crap. If I was Lyon I would not have been playing all of them either.

Under GT's latter years and all of Lyon's years our recruiting department for what ever reason (budget, ability etc...)was about the competitions worst.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
hayes66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Goose is king wrote:He may of played many debutantes in his final year but when we were a very good side he didnt blood enough.

Pretty sure Ben played plenty of games for a young ruckman. Armo played 11 in his second year when we made the finals. Steven had bad grions. The rest of them werent good enough. Geelong can afford to do it better because they have better players. The didnt rest guys in the year they won the flag against PA and didnt rest them in the year they beat us until they lost the home and away game against us.
Haven't we been through all this? If Steven had bad groins why was he playing VFL every week and getting in the best? Wasn't Tom Lynch on our list? How many games did Stanley play? Hutchings did we give him enough time? Sorry, I remember they are all crap. Forget I wrote all this.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Haven't we been through all this? If Steven had bad groins why was he playing VFL every week and getting in the best? Wasn't Tom Lynch on our list? How many games did Stanley play? Hutchings did we give him enough time? Sorry, I remember they are all crap. Forget I wrote all this.

Steven had groins that meant playing in the firsts was more difficult as he couldnt be rotated as much as in the seconds. That is a fact. Stanley actually played more games than his form deserved him to play. Just look at his stats. Hutchings was a rookie and had both hips done at the end of his first year. I have no idea why he wasnt kept longer. My guess is they thought he was to slow. Lynch played as many games in his final year as he did in his first year at Adelaide so if we didnt enough games then neither did they. Our drafting was crap. Pretty simple really. Even Armo isnt really a pick 9 player. Ben maybe a pick 9 player. Steven wa pick 42 so we got that right but not much else.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

he might have named them but they aint playing.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because Ross played guys who were not kids and no good, who were never going to be good...

Anytime he played a Polo etc as the 22nd and a player under 21 played at Sandy he was doing us a disservice.... We could have found out a lot quicker, whether a kid could play... And god know, give opportunity maybe one of the delisted kids probably could....

Winning is the easiest time to blood kids, and he never put faith in kids.... He really debuted them out of necessity

I suspect he's doing the same at Freo....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

That's not the point. If he had of played them, they would've got better. :roll:

Ahhh the Tommy Walsh syndrome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lance or James??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

After 11 (13) games in his second year

Armo played a further 12 in his next two seasons.... And in one of those seasons he was runner up in the Sandringhame B&F

In another, he polled three Brownlow votes and two weeks after was back out of favour?

Jack's groins were so rooted he could only play VFL?!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

here we go :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mark Hiutchings?

Don't think that every person who a certain coach won't play, actually can't play?

Two teams offloaded James Podsiadly whilst he was in his prime and he was later finally given a real. Opportunity at 28..... He had to win a Liston and a Frosty Miller and go to GFC and get a job before a coach actually stood up and take notice...

Do you think Hawthorn would have recruited and put years of development into 18yo Thorpe and Dowler for zero, overlooking Pods because he wasn't deemed good enough by other if they had there time again....

Ian Callinan the same

Both really should have played 150-200 games

Some guys would clearly make it if they got a chance.... But for whatever reason never did...

Brendon Long never played and AFL game? He would be a better footballer than many players who played AFL...

Watched AFL for a long time... And State league level and even local footy... Seen many players that have the ability to match lots of afl players but missed opportunity or were overlooked for reasons other than there ability to play footy...

Since coaching Arryn from Y8 to Y10 I have coached 3 players at his level or better at that age

All have unbelievable Junior records and will never be recruited.... Stingrays have a very closed mind when it comes to development

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Mark Hiutchings?

Don't think that every person who a certain coach won't play, actually can't play?

Two teams offloaded James Podsiadly whilst he was in his prime and he was later finally given a real. Opportunity at 28..... He had to win a Liston and a Frosty Miller and go to GFC and get a job before a coach actually stood up and take notice...

Do you think Hawthorn would have recruited and put years of development into 18yo Thorpe and Dowler for zero, overlooking Pods because he wasn't deemed good enough by other if they had there time again....

Ian Callinan the same

Some guys would clearly make it if they got a chance.... But for whatever reason never did...

Brendon Long never played and AFL game? He would be a better footballer than many players who played AFL...

Watched AFL for a long time... And State league level and even local footy... Seen many players that have the ability to match lots of afl players but missed opportunity or were overlooked for reasons other than there ability to play footy...

Since coaching Arryn from Y8 to Y10 I have coached 3 players at his level or better at that age

All have unbelievable Junior records and will never be recruited.... Stingrays have a very closed mind when it comes to development

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:After 11 (13) games in his second year

Armo played a further 12 in his next two seasons.... And in one of those seasons he was runner up in the Sandringhame B&F

In another, he polled three Brownlow votes and two weeks after was back out of favour?

Jack's groins were so rooted he could only play VFL?!

You dont get it do you. Like they are saying. Pupils are smarter than some teachers now. And Im takling about grade 3. Jack could play less time at Scorpians or Sandy than he could at the saints. And the pressure wasnt so high. He pulled up sorer from an AFL game than a VFL game.

And if Armo was given so many games in his second year it proved that RL would play him. maybe he wasnt doing as required in the next 2 years or maybe RL wanted to lose by not playing the best players. That makes so much sense. Curren won the B&F last year. How many games has SW given him and we are rebuilding? Doesnt suit your argument so we will either ignore that or make up some crap argument that is irrelevant.

And you didnt even want ARMO in the GF side in either of the 2 years but in hindsight now RL made a mistake. In both years you came up with one change to the side. If they made a remake of the movie King of Comedy they could call it King of hindsight and have you as the star. It would be at least funnier than the original.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Mark Hiutchings?

Ian Callinan the same

Is the point of this post to tell us about you because otherwise it makes no sense. I I I eye coached Arryn. It seemed to me ARRYN dad said you didnt but I I I eye did.