Dunnell, Shenton, Ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Dunnell, Shenton, Ledger

I want to see these guys tried out - I fear they will be gone next year if not tried this year - I think we are well and truely into the re build this year and I think these guys should be tried ahead of Saunders for example who I think can develop at the Zebs and will be given his shot next year

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunnell, Shenton, Ledger

Yeah - I tend to agree
These three seem to be on the cusp of having their AFL dream ended. They deserve a fair crack at it because realistically noone will pick them up next year otherwise and they have all shown something.

Of course people on here will go on about not 'gifting games'

But lets face it - we gift games every single weeks at the moment.

a GOP like maister just waltzes back in the side after a month off as if hes buddy franklin.
so these 3 you mentioned ere as deserving as anyone else.

Ferguson is still only 20 - so almost only a 2nd year player really - but he also needs to get a wriggle on.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 22 May 2013 11:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree, also Curren who has been knocking down the door for 18 months. He may well only be a VFL footballer, but he deserves the chance to show us otherwise.

kimberly saint
Club Player

dragit wrote:Agree, also Curren who has been knocking down the door for 18 months. He may well only be a VFL footballer, but he deserves the chance to show us otherwise.

so was sam mitchell :wink:

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If we try out 10 young guys this year, I'd be delighted if we can uncover 2 x 200 game players and 2 x 100 game players. The harsh reality is that 70% of the young guys are simply not good enough. The quicker we can identify and turn them over, the quicker we can build a strong team.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

not Shenton. doesn't win enough own ball.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dunnell yes, lets see a few more good performances from Ledger and Shenton, they are both rookies and we can only elevate one at the moment. I'd elevate Curren or Ferg before Shent or Ledge.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ledge is on the senior list?

But yeah ledge, dunell, ferg, curren and shenton are all on the cusp.

none of them are hopeless or 'duds'. They all have attributes and can play the game. But sadly it will be hard for us to keep all 5 at years end. So we need to figure out which 3 or 4 we do keep and we need to get it right. We need to make the right calls on these kinds of things if we want to rise up the ladder. We cant afford to keep guys who arent going to make it - or worse - let guys go who go to another club and end up guns.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 23 May 2013 12:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ledge is on the senior list?
So he is, he just plays like a rookie. Two years ago I thought he'd be a gun. Unfortunately he's failed to develop into the player he should have.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

judging by what the midfield served up against Adelaide, I would say play Ledger on Saturday, even if it is just as a sub.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote:judging by what the midfield served up against Adelaide, I would say play Ledger on Saturday, even if it is just as a sub.
Ledgers composure not up to it, he apparently has good skills, yet when he gets it he panics and turns it over.

Dunnell, I remember hearing about attitude problems, not sure if they are still there. I would play him over Milera.

Shenton, he is best played off a HBF, but Webster and Wright, together with Dyl and Gwilt are ahead of him.

Sorry, but I wouldn't play them just to see how they go. I would prefer we chose the best ones and play them consistently to get some momentum and confidence. No point getting a taste to be constantly dropped.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dunnell.... Attitude problems?!

His attitude is one of the things that got him on th list! He is seen as a leader at Sandy, and even at Stk where he's in the young leaders group. He is very professional in his attitude, along with Dempster, Curran, Blake, Riewoldt and Hayes he is right at the top of the tree wrt attitude.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What is the main thing holding Curren back?

Kicking? I've heard he is slow, but he doesn't look it to me.

Just watched the bendigo highlights, he did miss targets a fair bit, but he knows how to get the ball obviously, tackles & kicks goals... Could he play a small fwd/rotating mid role?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Dunnell.... Attitude problems?!

His attitude is one of the things that got him on th list! He is seen as a leader at Sandy, and even at Stk where he's in the young leaders group. He is very professional in his attitude, along with Dempster, Curran, Blake, Riewoldt and Hayes he is right at the top of the tree wrt attitude.
From what I heard, it was more a FIGJAM type situation rather than a lazy attitude.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

From what I heard, it was more a FIGJAM type situation rather than a lazy attitude.
Because he plays in the VFL?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
dragit wrote:

Because he plays in the VFL?
I'm sure it's pretty common for guys that get drafted...

Mitch Thorp had the 'swagger' of dermie/carey apparently... Just wasn't very good at footy in the end.

southernsaint
Club Player

I agree give these boys a go and i would add curren and ferg to that list. If we are going to make some big calls at seasons end we need to see them at afl level and you just never know what may happen.

Saints94
SS Life Member

His attitude is one of the things that got him on th list! He is seen as a leader at Sandy, and even at Stk where he's in the young leaders group. He is very professional in his attitude, along with Dempster, Curran, Blake, Riewoldt and Hayes he is right at the top of the tree wrt attitude.[/quote]
From what I heard, it was more a FIGJAM type situation rather than a lazy attitude.[/quote]
Because he plays in the VFL?[/quote]
I'm sure it's pretty common for guys that get drafted...

Mitch Thorp had the 'swagger' of dermie/carey apparently... Just wasn't very good at footy in the end.[/quote]

100% sure he told Tom Harley as he was returning from injury in the vfl "I'm gonna end your career today", sounds like a toss to me.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry didn't mean to bag Dunnell, just heard what everyone else has heard, figjam, bit too overconfident in his own ability, that sort of thing. Give me a kid with a Lenny-like modesty any day - that said, if he backs it up on field he can say whatever he likes! ;-)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:100% sure he told Tom Harley as he was returning from injury in the vfl "I'm gonna end your career today", sounds like a toss to me.
I don't get it… why would Dunnell end Harley's career? media career? Harley retired from footy years before Sam played any VFL?

Saints94
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Saints94 wrote:100% sure he told Tom Harley as he was returning from injury in the vfl "I'm gonna end your career today", sounds like a toss to me.
I don't get it… why would Dunnell end Harley's career? media career? Harley retired from footy years before Sam played any VFL?
Sorry I was talking about Mitch Thorp... :shock:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
dragit wrote:
Sorry I was talking about Mitch Thorp... :shock:
Yeah that makes sense… sorry.

When the quoting gets all mixed up, i get confused.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I just cant believe a mature age recruit like Dunell who was playing in the ammos 3 years ago would act like hes good in an AFL club.
Seems preposterous. But anyway. If you heard it you heard it.
Interesting list management at years end for the Saints - I certainly cant predict how they will go. Only really Markworth has security for next year. A lot of work for Bainsy and pelchen coming up and some hard decisions. I just hope we make the right decisions.

Saints94
SS Life Member

I don't get it… why would Dunnell end Harley's career? media career? Harley retired from footy years before Sam played any VFL?[/quote]
Sorry I was talking about Mitch Thorp... :shock:[/quote]
Yeah that makes sense… sorry.

When the quoting gets all mixed up, i get confused.[/quote]

Yeah me to mate, can get frustrating at times :twisted: