Maister/ Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maister/ Kosi

Anyone that thinks Kosi playing a team role isnt important is a fool. Of course youd play him if it helps Riewoldts game. Stupid to suggest otherwise.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

It's not about feeling warm and fuzzy about Kosi ,Lee and White are no where near ready for AFL and gifting them a couple of games to "get games into them" could wreck their future careers ,it's about time we looked after the young kids coming through instead of gifting them games.Let them put 3 or 4 good games at Sandy before putting them in the seniors ,if that means gifting Kosi and Maister a few games to plug holes well so be it.At the moment we are killing Sippos with the expectation loaded onto him preseason of being the next Goddard.He needs to go back to Sandy and string a few good games together.

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Anyone that thinks Kosi playing a team role isnt important is a fool. Of course youd play him if it helps Riewoldts game. Stupid to suggest otherwise.

Who cares if it helps Rooy. I care if it helps our club. We won against carlton and GWS. Kosi didnt play either game and Rooy played very well in both games. If you are working on your principal then Kosi will play until Rooy retires. What a lot of rubbish that would be. Kosi figures this year and in the second half of last year means he should play at sandy.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:It's not about feeling warm and fuzzy about Kosi ,Lee and White are no where near ready for AFL and gifting them a couple of games to "get games into them" could wreck their future careers ,it's about time we looked after the young kids coming through instead of gifting them games.Let them put 3 or 4 good games at Sandy before putting them in the seniors ,if that means gifting Kosi and Maister a few games to plug holes well so be it.At the moment we are killing Sippos with the expectation loaded onto him preseason of being the next Goddard.He needs to go back to Sandy and string a few good games together.

Did you watch SW's presser after the Adelaide game? Talks specifially about getting games into the younger guys so they can learn. Agree that White is too green. But Lee. Give him a go. Bottom line for me is Kosi has been sub-par for a long time now and his time is up.
"Gifting" games to Kosi because he helps Roo is a damn silly idea. What's the point? Better to develop a new relationship between Roo and forwards who actually have a future. Hanging on to Kosi for any other reason than his own on-field contribution is a complete waste of time.
Giving games to Maister yes. He looked ok before he got injured. Give him a good run at it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Anyone that thinks Kosi playing a team role isnt important is a fool. Of course youd play him if it helps Riewoldts game. Stupid to suggest otherwise.

I reckon it's a myth that Kosi helps Roo any more than playing Maister or another tall forward. It's backward looking and hanging on to the past.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Who cares if it helps Rooy. I care if it helps our club. We won against carlton and GWS. Kosi didnt play either game and Rooy played very well in both games. If you are working on your principal then Kosi will play until Rooy retires. What a lot of rubbish that would be. Kosi figures this year and in the second half of last year means he should play at sandy.

Once again a completely irrational arguement by yourself. Right now Kosi is on our list rightly or wrongly hes on the list. If our captain and best player thinks that having him in the side is a good thing thats all that needs to be said.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Once again a completely irrational arguement by yourself. Right now Kosi is on our list rightly or wrongly hes on the list. If our captain and best player thinks that having him in the side is a good thing thats all that needs to be said.

Curly, that's crapola. Roo doesn't select the side. The match committee does. One player's personal preference for who's in and who isn't is irrelevant. It's about re-building so we can have a shot at a flag.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Getting your arse handed to you on a plate helps no one. If our best player and captain feels he performs better and the forward line functions better with Kosi in he plays.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:I just don't get what it is with Kosi that causes people to keep hanging on to old ideas about him. He's done and dusted at AFL level. Emergency back up player at best and will retire at the end of the year.
Im afraid I don't get what is with kosi that has you popping up every couple of posts.

If he gets a game he has my support, nothing we say will determine if he will or won't

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I will tell you whats irrational. Picking a player because another player may play better, even though it doesnt seem so, but not worrying about the team results. kosi has not helped the side this year at all. Im happy for you to show me how he has but stats dont show it and watching the game shows it even less.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Well clearly from you watching you have a better feel for how the forward line is functioning than our captain and coach. Sorry for doubting you what was Riewoldt thinking to suggest Kosi helps his game when clearly from what youve said it doesnt.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Well clearly from you watching you have a better feel for how the forward line is functioning than our captain and coach. Sorry for doubting you what was Riewoldt thinking to suggest Kosi helps his game when clearly from what youve said it doesnt.

Our coach? he has played Kosi in 2 games out of a possble 6. Curly did we beat Carlton and GWS?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Well clearly from you watching you have a better feel for how the forward line is functioning than our captain and coach. Sorry for doubting you what was Riewoldt thinking to suggest Kosi helps his game when clearly from what youve said it doesnt.

Our coach? he has played Kosi in 2 games out of a possble 6. Curly did we beat Carlton and GWS?
Did you read what I posted yes or no? If Roo believes it help his game he plays.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Did you read what I posted yes or no? If Roo believes it help his game he plays.

And how did he say that? After a press conference did he announce he plays better with Kosi or was he asked the question because if he was i doubt he was going to answer it any other way. And Im glad you arent picking a side because best mates want to play with each other. And i always read what you post. I just think most of it makes little sense.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im so over talking about Kosi

Neither him nor Maister are going to have any impact whatsoever on us making the Top 8 next time around.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Getting your arse handed to you on a plate helps no one. If our best player and captain feels he performs better and the forward line functions better with Kosi in he plays.
Okay, so now you've turned the opinions of yourself and various other posters on here into it being the gospel truth of what Roo thinks. How the F*** do you know what Roo thinks about it? Maybe he also thinks Kosi's best is no longer good enough. How would you, I or anyone else know?
Ridiculous argument.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
st.byron wrote:I just don't get what it is with Kosi that causes people to keep hanging on to old ideas about him. He's done and dusted at AFL level. Emergency back up player at best and will retire at the end of the year.
Im afraid I don't get what is with kosi that has you popping up every couple of posts.

If he gets a game he has my support, nothing we say will determine if he will or won't
K, it's the ongoing rose coloured view that people have of his value to the side. And it's been going on for years. A couple of pages ago I asked Greg T just exactly why Kosi is worth a spot in the side now. No response. And the only other reason I've seen other posters give is that his presence is somehow better for Roo, which in itself is highly debatable.

Apart from that does anyone at all have any reasons for selecting him based on his actual on-field contribution? Why we should be picking him instead of Maister or Lee?

And yep K, you're right, it's one of my hobby horses. Primarily because the excuse making and blind support that Kosi seems to attract only supports on field mediocrity. He's been average or below for years. He had a good year in 2009. For a couple of years before that he was a GOP. Since 2010 he's played a few good games and otherwise gone missing for weeks at a time. Or he takes one good grab and kicks a goal and people hang their hat on one or two efforts like that as to why he should be retained. It's not enough.

And your last sentence of "If he gets a game he has my support". Yes I agree. I'm hardly going to be hoping he fails. Would love to see him have a serious impact on a game. But the fact is that he hasn't done that for a long long time. Early last year he had a couple of good games. Apart from that he's been below average for years. Why would I want to have a below average player in the team and keep on selecting him even though he's proven to no longer be up to it? He's not even a GOP now and others should be given opportunities.

Greg T
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
Greg T wrote:There's probably another 12 blokes on our list that wont even get near
what Kosi has done for the club.,or be half the player he was.

So kick some of their heads in ,
I'm more embarrassed by some of the crap
at the club ATM than him
Hope he's back in this week....IMO

Why exactly do you hope he's back?

This stuff about what he's done for the club, what a great clubman he is. Yep that's all good. Thanks very much Kosi for your contribution.
But it's totally farkin irrelevant in picking this week's team. If you reckon he should be back in the team based on what he's done in the past, that's exactly what I meant when I posted earlier about people being sentimental over him.

And if your opinion is not based on "what he's done in the past", why exactly do you feel he should be picked? He did sfa in his 2 matches so far this year and last year he was mostly poor. Interested to know what you reckon he offers.
Although I totally agree his form has been poor,
Kicking 6 goals in 4 quarters is also poor at AFL standard.

No one in that forward line bar Roo has barely taken an overhead mark for starters.
Sitting him in the forward pocket this week ,say for Milera, least he can kick straight ,
He will lead to the right spots,and can take a mark.Take some pressure off Roo.
That what I think he has to offer for the next couple of weeks anyway.

IMO the forward line has been abysmal all year and clearly the small forwards do not chase,tackle or lock
the ball down.
You have the backs and midfield still coming in to help kicks goals.
The back line at least has unearthed some healthy contributors who will make the grade.
I think the forward line this year has gone backwards .

Sipposs must retain his spot week in week out to become the player he should be.
Kosi will retire by years end,but I think he can still give us something that other blokes in
Our shot up forward line hasn't .
If anyone one else can come in by all means bring them in......
Simple logic tells you no one else bar Roo has been any better at all IMO
And yes,I do respect Kosi,he's done the hard yards and given more than most
Of the 2013 forwards will ver achieve .Just my opinion.......
Yes I'm sentimental ,but so is this great game called footy !

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Although I totally agree his form has been poor,
Kicking 6 goals in 4 quarters is also poor at AFL standard.

No one in that forward line bar Roo has barely taken an overhead mark for starters.
Sitting him in the forward pocket this week ,say for Milera, least he can kick straight ,
He will lead to the right spots,and can take a mark.Take some pressure off Roo.
That what I think he has to offer for the next couple of weeks anyway.

IMO the forward line has been abysmal all year and clearly the small forwards do not chase,tackle or lock
the ball down.
You have the backs and midfield still coming in to help kicks goals.
The back line at least has unearthed some healthy contributors who will make the grade.
I think the forward line this year has gone backwards .

Sipposs must retain his spot week in week out to become the player he should be.
Kosi will retire by years end,but I think he can still give us something that other blokes in
Our shot up forward line hasn't .
If anyone one else can come in by all means bring them in......
Simple logic tells you no one else bar Roo has been any better at all IMO
And yes,I do respect Kosi,he's done the hard yards and given more than most
Of the 2013 forwards will ver achieve .Just my opinion.......
Yes I'm sentimental ,but so is this great game called footy !

Agree that the forward line is very much a work in progress and the smalls haven't delivered. But why persist with someone who has had so many poor games and is going to retire at years end? Take your point about there being no other outstanding option, but to me giving a go to Maister at least is a better option. He's still only played less than 40 games and IMO deserves a go ahead of Kosi.

Maybe SW and the coaching staff will see it your way. We'll find out tomorrow.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Would Kosi or Maister get a game with any other team?
Even GWS? Think about it.
The match committee has to field the best 22.
Kosi and Maister belong in the VFL. For ever. NEITHER OF THEM scares opp coaches.
Defenders would be BEGGING to be put on Kosi because he makes them look good.
How many marks has he taken per game?
He won't chase, so when the ball goes to ground and our small forwards fall over themselves, their defenders treat it like a training drill to sweep it away.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely its a trade off and a balance?

Would you rather:

Riewoldt 8/10
Kosi 3/10
Total = 11/20
or

Riewoldt 7/10
Some other bloke 5/10
Total = 12/20

So kosi makes roo player better but the overall result still aint flash

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Would you rather:

Riewoldt 8/10
Kosi 3/10
Total = 11/20
or

Riewoldt 7/10
Some other bloke 5/10
Total = 12/20

What if having Kosi gets Milne up from a three to a 6 and the other forwards up another one or two.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Would you rather:

Riewoldt 8/10
Kosi 3/10
Total = 11/20
or

Riewoldt 7/10
Some other bloke 5/10
Total = 12/20

What if having Kosi gets Milne up from a three to a 6 and the other forwards up another one or two.

But he hasnt this year. Its a myth. They have been poor when he plays and when he doesnt play. Look at the facts Curly instead of something that doesnt happen. We have won 2 without Kosi. Rooy has played well with or without Kosi. The smalls have struggled with or without Kosi. Kosi has had 14 Possessions in 2 games. he has had 12 hitouts in 2 games and kicked 2 goals. hardly a reason to bring him again this week. If he is played this week i hope he kicks 5 goals and we win.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Surely its a trade off and a balance?

Would you rather:

Riewoldt 8/10
Kosi 3/10
Total = 11/20
or

Riewoldt 7/10
Some other bloke 5/10
Total = 12/20

Uh huh......so as well as telling us that Roo has said Kosi makes him a better player, you're suggesting he makes Milney a better player as well.
What though if when Kosi plays Dal goes from an 8 to a 5, Armo from a 7 to a 4 and Dempster from 9 to 3? He also makes some of the physios perform worse, but the trainers and water carriers prefer him to play. Tough call eh?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Clearly you understand nothing about the make up of a football team. If Roo feels he plays better with Kosi in the side he plays if the team feel they play better with him he plays. Cant understand why people would think differantly.