Maister/ Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maister/ Kosi

SainterK wrote:
I pinched this from somewhere else, so credit to Falchoon on bigfooty for his efforts

Kosi draws defenders away from Nick....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/ ... 3ee6a1.png

Something Maister doesn't appear to have got the hang of yet...

http://bit.ly/14EoC2i

Please look, I don't expect you'll agree...but at least I bothered trying to back up my point ;)

Kosi still enhances other forwards games IMO

Enhancing others games is not enough to warrant selection. What about what he contributes himself? As others have said, he can't ruck any more. He's slow as treacle and offers sfa when we lose possession in the forward 50. I reckon you're sentimental about Koschitzke.
Much better to get games into the younger guys who have a future or at least a shot at a future than persist with Kosi. He's not up to it any more.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Wilkes is a good VFL player, and will never be AFL standard. Kosi is finished.
We need to play Lee, White and Hickey.
Agree. Beau surely must take a back seat to these guys.

The year is gone. Time to play the kids.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Griggsy
SS Life Member

If Watters is going to play a player in the forward line that isn't part of the future then its Kosi.

But I agree that the kids need the experience.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
I reckon you're sentimental about Koschitzke.
Based on what exactly?

I get that a bit it seems, whenever I speak to the selection of Kosi and Geary.

Don't get why.
Last edited by SainterK on Mon 20 May 2013 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is underrated

His role is unknown by many

The structure he creates is important

His understanding of forward play is excellent

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
st.byron wrote:
I reckon you're sentimental about Koschitzke.
Based on what exactly?

I get that a bit it seems, whenever I speak to the selection of Kosi and Geary.

Don't get why.
Can't comment about Geary but re Kosi - supporting his selection because he enhances someone else's game is to me like saying that someone deserves a spot in the team not because of what he contributes himself but because he has a secondary effect of improving others. And to me it's not enough on its own to warrant selection. A player has to pull his own weight as a part of the team based on his ability to directly contribute through his own deeds and on-field actions.

I've read plenty of posters saying Kosi 'improves our structure" because he draws a defender away from Roo. OK, so he has more experience than Lee, Hickey or Maister and has played a lot with Roo, but that alone is not enough. Especially since the defender he draws runs off him at will when we lose possession. The only way the younger guys are going to learn is to play them. Playing Kosi has zero value for the future.

Hence I reckon plenty of people support his selection based on what they think he might do, what he's done in the past, because he's a nice bloke and deserves 200, because he crashes packs......all of which are IMO insufficient reasons to play him and I think are largely based on a somewhat sentimental idea of what he was and not what he is as a player today.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Well people want Milne in because he leads singing of club song!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Well people want Milne in because he leads singing of club song!
Equally as stupid a reason to pick someone.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hickey was also a witches hat defensively

He looked as slow as treacle when the ball hit the deck.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Kosi is underrated

His role is unknown by many

The structure he creates is important

His understanding of forward play is excellent

His role is unknown to himself.
Generally he will go for a mark, if that fails he's lost, unless a kid runs by and he sticks an elbow out.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Greg T
Club Player

There's probably another 12 blokes on our list that wont even get near
what Kosi has done for the club.,or be half the player he was.

So kick some of their heads in ,
I'm more embarrassed by some of the crap
at the club ATM than him
Hope he's back in this week....IMO

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Greg T wrote:There's probably another 12 blokes on our list that wont even get near

at the club ATM than him
good post

Fortius Quo Fidelius
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Disappointed that they persist with forwards who can't really do much for the team. Maister reminds me of Gamble, in that whenever they get near the ball, you expect their opponents to be able to run off them. No defensive pressure, must be horrible as a defender to keep sending it in, only to see it come back with interest.
Coaches are supposed to field the BEST 22 (unless you're tanking), how can Maister be in the reckoning?
Why keep on with players who don't seem to bring their "A" game?
Drop Saad, Milera, Milne and bring up some others who may have a crack!
Or is Sandringham full of 'B' grade players?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:There's probably another 12 blokes on our list that wont even get near

at the club ATM than him

I would hope most on here are talking about his current form which is poor. Anyone having a go at Kosi about his career just doesnt understand footy and should be ignored when writing in the future.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

at the club ATM than him

Why exactly do you hope he's back?

This stuff about what he's done for the club, what a great clubman he is. Yep that's all good. Thanks very much Kosi for your contribution.
But it's totally farkin irrelevant in picking this week's team. If you reckon he should be back in the team based on what he's done in the past, that's exactly what I meant when I posted earlier about people being sentimental over him.

And if your opinion is not based on "what he's done in the past", why exactly do you feel he should be picked? He did sfa in his 2 matches so far this year and last year he was mostly poor. Interested to know what you reckon he offers.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah
dont pick him
after all
everyone up forward contributed last week
i mean look what beau and sipps did lol

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Sometimes what you have done in the past counts.Look at how many people wrote Roo off last year and now he is in all Australian form !

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

Apart from Roo, we have no other forwards playing anything like match-winning football, and plonking 2013 Kosi down there is of no value. Our forward line currently consists of a quality CHF, and 5 other struggling players

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Agreed,but I would give Kossy 2 games and see how he goes ,at the moment Lee and White are not ready for AFL and Sippos's confidence is down.Maister will always get a couple against weak sides but good sides expose him.Roo enjoys Kosi being there and it takes the pressure of 2 or 3 back men belting into Roo each week!

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Agreed,but I would give Kossy 2 games and see how he goes ,at the moment Lee and White are not ready for AFL and Sippos's confidence is down.Maister will always get a couple against weak sides but good sides expose him.Roo enjoys Kosi being there and it takes the pressure of 2 or 3 back men belting into Roo each week!

He was given 2 games and all he did for us was hit a opposition player. 7 disposals in a game with bugger hits out and goals means jack.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yeah
dont pick him
after all
everyone up forward contributed last week
i mean look what beau and sipps did lol
Agree Matrix. But at least Sippos and Lee all have at least potential to develop into more than they are. Maister too. Kosi ain't going to get any better.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Maister needs to put a few games together to regain confidence. He looked serviceable when he put a few games together last season and at the beginning of this season. He'll never be an A grade forward however he's decent enough support for Roo. I'd say he's a stop gap until we recruit and develop more talented forwards. And a better option than Kosi.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Sometimes what you have done in the past counts.Look at how many people wrote Roo off last year and now he is in all Australian form !

Yep...sometimes what you've done in the past counts....as long as it wasn't back in 2009. Roo is a champion. Milney is down this year but was AA the last two years. That counts. But FFS comparing Kosi to Roo as if he's going to suddenly start playing great footy.
That's just another version of 'Kosi's gunna.....".
And we've been hearing for years how Kosi's gunna.......

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Agreed,but I would give Kossy 2 games and see how he goes ,at the moment Lee and White are not ready for AFL and Sippos's confidence is down.Maister will always get a couple against weak sides but good sides expose him.Roo enjoys Kosi being there and it takes the pressure of 2 or 3 back men belting into Roo each week!

How many farkin' games does the guy get to "see how he goes?" He's had farkin years. But still we have, "he's gunna......"
And : "Roo enjoys Kosi being there". Great. It's been really productive the last few years that way hasn't it? Let's keep on with that in the blind rose coloured hope that it's going to suddenly get better. Let's hang on to that and keep waiting to give Lee and Maister a chance to develop. Why give younger players a chance to develop when we can hang on to something that is mediocre and has no future? At least it's familiar eh? And Kosi makes us feel warm and fuzzy coz he's such a great guy and he's had such bad luck with injuries...........sigh
FFS. I just don't get what it is with Kosi that causes people to keep hanging on to old ideas about him. He's done and dusted at AFL level. Emergency back up player at best and will retire at the end of the year.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

One things for certain, we need to play Sippos exclusively as a forward. His possession count has been down but he's taken a few strong contested marks over the past fortnight. He's also a natural footballer and offers a bit of creatively and class in a Schnieder kinda way. Milne doesn't look fit, not sure if he's playing injured or his age has caught up. Saad looks like he's having the second year blues which is only natural. Saad needs to be played to get his games up. We'll reap the benefits once he's got 50 games up. I'm not sure about Milera. He's got a couple of years on Saad and still doesn't have the body for AFL footy. Natural footy player though, without much upside it would seem. I think he's peaked.