Blow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Blow

So you reckon any of our lads might have tested +ve for blow?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blow

Con Gorozidis wrote:So you reckon any of our lads might have tested +ve for blow?
Qu'est-ce? :? :? :? :?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So you reckon any of our lads might have tested +ve for blow?
Only if they are really dumb.

Reality says that only 26 positives in 1500 tests (not including the 'self-reporters) of young males between 18 and 35 with heaps of disposable income is nowhere near the result you'd get if you tested 1500 non AFL males the morning after a big night out.

So either the AFL players are completely opposite to the rest of the male population of that demographic or the Testing Regime is no good at catching those that have imbibed.

My opinion it is the latter proposition rather then the former.

I also don't believe that any legitimate testing regime on such a sample of players (1500+ tests) could/would/should result in zero positives for weed.

Other than the opportunity for Demetriou to 'trumpet' these results, I see absolutely no point in testing for 'illicit substances' out of competition.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

phew - I always thought it was a witch hunt against Cousins

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Only if they are really dumb.

Reality says that only 26 positives in 1500 tests (not including the 'self-reporters) of young males between 18 and 35 with heaps of disposable income is nowhere near the result you'd get if you tested 1500 non AFL males the morning after a big night out.

So either the AFL players are completely opposite to the rest of the male population of that demographic or the Testing Regime is no good at catching those that have imbibed.

My opinion it is the latter proposition rather then the former.

I also don't believe that any legitimate testing regime on such a sample of players (1500+ tests) could/would/should result in zero positives for weed.

Other than the opportunity for Demetriou to 'trumpet' these results, I see absolutely no point in testing for 'illicit substances' out of competition.

Dont think to many people with high income smoke weed these days. They target test so im unsure what else they can do apart from scrap it altogether but Im of the opinion if it helps one person its better than no testing at all. And being sportsmen i think the figures would be lower than the normal population. Obviously not as low as the figures show though.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

honestly and i might be alone in this but i really couldnt care less if players are on rec drugs on their down time ... it is after all their life to stuff up how ever they like ... what i expect from footballers is to train hard and play the game as hard as they can what they do in their own time is up to them as long as it doesnt effect their training and playing ability and they dont get into trouble with the law then i could care less...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Pfiew, not another duthie episode.

Our players are just as likely as any b.t.w.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My understanding is its out of your system in a day or two - so youd have to be very unlucky to be caught.
No doubt the '+ves" only represent a tiny fraction of actual drug taking events.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:honestly and i might be alone in this but i really couldnt care less if players are on rec drugs on their down time ... it is after all their life to stuff up how ever they like ... what i expect from footballers is to train hard and play the game as hard as they can what they do in their own time is up to them as long as it doesnt effect their training and playing ability and they dont get into trouble with the law then i could care less...
yeah - i dont give much of a hoot either.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

More worried about the 'other' drugs

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty sure Con is refering to cocain

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

All this talk of Blow would explain Gilbo's hair !
He does also have a big honker .

In red white and black from 73
paddy
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:All this talk of Blow would explain Gilbo's hair !
i dont get the connection to gilbos hair?

surely the boys who have short hair/shaved head would be the ones to be suspicious of... to avoid hair testing

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:

surely the boys who have short hair/shaved head would be the ones to be suspicious of... to avoid hair testing

I was attempting to make a light hearted joke !

Gilbo's hair reminds me of some of those famous celebrity mugshots like james brown or nick nolte !
If i had any idea how to cut and paste i'd post them !

In red white and black from 73
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:honestly and i might be alone in this but i really couldnt care less if players are on rec drugs on their down time ... it is after all their life to stuff up how ever they like ... what i expect from footballers is to train hard and play the game as hard as they can what they do in their own time is up to them as long as it doesnt effect their training and playing ability and they dont get into trouble with the law then i could care less...
That's interesting. Most people including probably myself would have the same view.

So basically we only care about the players in the context of playing performance and how well they play? What about the health and personal impacts drugs have on players etc?

Philosophically this concept does not sit well with me as it's selfish and sad. Viewing players as a commodity is a reflection of our society we live in; just like profit over people.

Maybe we care more about players having the freedom to choose how they treat their bodies etc. I like that better so I'll go with that. :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I can't fathom why any of them would do it given their positions and income. I'm sure some of them would be high profile with a massive amount to lose, in health, wealth and reputation.

Anyone, not just footballers, buying this rubbish they call "recreational" drugs, is supporting high end organised crime. The higher profile a person the more susceptible they are to being extorted, being subject to match-fixing propositions and more likely to damage the reputations of themselves, their families, their clubs and their code or organisation.

We constantly hear footballers bleating about how their careers are only short compared to other careers so they need to be highly paid, however if you're good at it you can earn in 10 years what the average person struggles to earn over a lifetime. An 18 year old kid probably earns more than the average wage of a family breadwinner with kids to support.

And their money is front-ended, whereas my golden handshake doesn't come until I've done 30 years or more in my job.

Yet they find the need to resort to cocaine and other drugs while they are in their halcyon earning years?

Rosco
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
That's interesting. Most people including probably myself would have the same view.

So basically we only care about the players in the context of playing performance and how well they play? What about the health and personal impacts drugs have on players etc?

Philosophically this concept does not sit well with me as it's selfish and sad. Viewing players as a commodity is a reflection of our society we live in; just like profit over people.

Maybe we care more about players having the freedom to choose how they treat their bodies etc. I like that better so I'll go with that. :roll:
We care, but I also care about my work colleagues too. They don't get tested. What are footy players different?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:I can't fathom why any of them would do it given their positions and income. I'm sure some of them would be high profile with a massive amount to lose, in health, wealth and reputation.

Anyone, not just footballers, buying this rubbish they call "recreational" drugs, is supporting high end organised crime. The higher profile a person the more susceptible they are to being extorted, being subject to match-fixing propositions and more likely to damage the reputations of themselves, their families, their clubs and their code or organisation.

We constantly hear footballers bleating about how their careers are only short compared to other careers so they need to be highly paid, however if you're good at it you can earn in 10 years what the average person struggles to earn over a lifetime. An 18 year old kid probably earns more than the average wage of a family breadwinner with kids to support.

And their money is front-ended, whereas my golden handshake doesn't come until I've done 30 years or more in my job.

Yet they find the need to resort to cocaine and other drugs while they are in their halcyon earning years?
Pretty sure that there are so many doing it that it actually seems like normal behavior.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Munga
Saintsational Legend

So who are the players?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:I can't fathom why any of them would do it given their positions and income. I'm sure some of them would be high profile with a massive amount to lose, in health, wealth and reputation.

Pretty sure that there are so many doing it that it actually seems like normal behavior.

Id be pretty sure there are much less than normal society doing it that it is more abnormal than normal.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

pretty sure Icouldmt care less.

AFL needs to spend all its energies catching REAL performance enhancing drug addicts aka Essendon and not wimping out on soft penalties which they will do.

“Yeah….nah””
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

I think you are spot on. Most chemicals pass through your system within a matter of 2 days hence the reason they are so popular with people that work in an industry that has a drug testing regime. Also most places have a policy for rehabilitation that provide you with a safety net if you get caught. Most people including AFL footballers would see it as a sport within itself to circumvent the system.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Id be pretty sure there are much less than normal society doing it that it is more abnormal than normal.
I'd be pretty sure that this is the company line. I'd file that with the Easter bunny and sex after marriage.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
paddy
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:
paddy wrote:

I was attempting to make a light hearted joke !

Gilbo's hair reminds me of some of those famous celebrity mugshots like james brown or nick nolte !
Oh, sorry mate...

i'm a lil on the slow side today

:lol:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: I was attempting to make a light hearted joke !