Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lynch

No issue with Lynch leaving isnt much chop to be honest.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Clearly Adelaide had Tex and Tipett last year who were ahead of him

Now he'll get a good go at it

Amazing what opportunity brings

Good on him

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't really get the argument here

Most acknowledge that we got a good trade for him so that's not an issue
Most wish him well
Most acknowledge that he still hasn't made it

I dare say that he has at least proven that he has potential and is worth persevering with

The only contentious issue in this thread is whether or not we developed him well enough... some ppl seem to actually be saying yes?!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Clearly Adelaide had Tex and Tipett last year who were ahead of him

Now he'll get a good go at it

Amazing what opportunity brings

Good on him
So how is that different from when he was at the Saints and had to wait his turn?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintact7
Club Player

Another one starved of opportunities by Ross Lyin who played for the present, no eye on future at all. Lynch obviously not a first round pick cos he was a dud, Johnny Beveridge is better than that.

The kid grew up as a Saints supporter but of course he left when he couldn't get a game ahead of has beens (never weres) like Gamble and Charlie Gardiner from the Cats.

Scott Watters has had to pick upm the pieces and get games into kids that Lyin wouldn't play. Armo, Jack S, benny Mac, Gears etc should have 20-30 more games in them by now and be even more advanced than they are now, hence the gap between the 6-7 elite players and the next level.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintact7 wrote:Another one starved of opportunities by Ross Lyin who played for the present, no eye on future at all. Lynch obviously not a first round pick cos he was a dud, Johnny Beveridge is better than that.

The kid grew up as a Saints supporter but of course he left when he couldn't get a game ahead of has beens (never weres) like Gamble and Charlie Gardiner from the Cats.

Scott Watters has had to pick upm the pieces and get games into kids that Lyin wouldn't play. Armo, Jack S, benny Mac, Gears etc should have 20-30 more games in them by now and be even more advanced than they are now, hence the gap between the 6-7 elite players and the next level.

How many names did Lynch play last year?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintact7 wrote:Another one starved of opportunities by Ross Lyin who played for the present, no eye on future at all. Lynch obviously not a first round pick cos he was a dud, Johnny Beveridge is better than that.

Charlie Gardner played in 2008 and Tom wasn't even at the club.

Young guys could not have played an extra 20-30 games but I appreciate you trying to re write history.

One of the main reasons we got Tom was because he came recommended by Stewie Loewe. It wasn't a great selection for us and I prefer Newnes from what I have seen. Tom is too small to be a key position forward and he's a bit slow as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
savatage
SS Life Member

He will struggle to kick 10 goals for the remainder of the season.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The guy was killing it at SANFL level 33 possies in defence last year. Funny how Jack Darling isn't too small according to some but Lynch is.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:It was his 16th game and he a lifelong Saints supporter. He didn't want to leave, but had no choice under the Lyin regime.
That makes no sense. Lyon left before Lynch did.
Both left at the end of 2011. Tom had asked to be traded before Ross walked.
So he had at least two weeks to change his mind. I can't remember if Watters was in place before trade week but Lynch knew Lyon wasn't coaching.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

By that time, sando probably promised him the world.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

From my memory Watters tried to keep him, but he still left.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:By that time, sando probably promised him the world.
Yeah in his mind it probably came down to Sando or Sandy :wink:

savatage
SS Life Member

I like how he's shrunk to 190cm too.

hayes66
Club Player

CURLY wrote:No issue with Lynch leaving isnt much chop to be honest.
Big call!!
You may well be right but he was continually in the best players at Sandy. Plays well in the SANFL, now has kicked ten goals in an AFL game. If Tom Lee kicks ten in the VFL we will all be hailing him as a ready made AFL player.
Matt Rendall, who Collingwood have now employed, and has a big wrap on him as a recruiter saw something in Tom.
I'm not sure you're right.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

10 goals is 10 goals...

I like Lynch and would've preferred to keep him... He wanted to go, and good on him for taking his chance...

Thought he was treated fairly poorly during his years as a Saint... His debut game getting thrown to the wolves was a terrible initiation... Poor player management by Lyon that day..

As I see it, Robert Eddy would not be able to kick 10 goals in an under 12's match let alone on an AFL field... Yet he was given all the time in the world by the previous coaching panel... Got to have the talent to do it, and the opportunity to show it...

hayes66
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:10 goals is 10 goals...

I like Lynch and would've preferred to keep him... He wanted to go, and good on him for taking his chance...

Thought he was treated fairly poorly during his years as a Saint... His debut game getting thrown to the wolves was a terrible initiation... Poor player management by Lyon that day..

As I see it, Robert Eddy would not be able to kick 10 goals in an under 12's match let alone on an AFL field... Yet he was given all the time in the world by the previous coaching panel... Got to have the talent to do it, and the opportunity to show it...
Very good post. Agree 100%.
Case: Poorly treated by The Saints
Verdict: Guilty.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Forwards take longer, isn't that what people are saying about Tom Lee?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:

He played 5 games in his last year at the saints and when he was a year older he played 6 at Adelaide. How have they treated him better than we did?

hayes66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
hayes66 wrote:

He played 5 games in his last year at the saints and when he was a year older he played 6 at Adelaide. How have they treated him better than we did?
For a start, i think they rate him. I say that because they traded for him. Secondly, when Tom is playing for Glenelg, he is played in the position they will play him in when selected for the AFL. Where at St Kilda he was played forward in the AFL and at Sandy, back.
How does that work?
Train, play as a back but when selected for AFL will throw you forward. That confuses me, so it may of confused Tom.
As mentioned previously, debut game, pick up Fletcher, have an off night, that's it. Can't play, go back to Sandy and play back.
But all this is, is an opinion. I felt he was poorly treated.
Am i convinced he will be a good AFL player? Not sure but i am perplexed how people can call him a spud!!
As i previously posted, "That's a big call".
I do think he has ability and time will sort out how good he becomes and i do wish he was still with the Saints.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
hayes66 wrote:

He was treated a whole 1 game better at Adelaide last year.

Development.

Or maybe it's just that he is a bit older now and there is an opportunity at Adelaide with Walker and Tippet out. That might be a bit too simple an explanation for us though. We all want the narrative.

SuperDuper
Club Player

The fact is players hit their peak at 22-23... look at age vs supercoach scores.... Lynch is now getting to his prime. He may be a decent player for the next 5 years.. but GWS is not a good guide.... so lets see. I still think Newenes will be better than him, but good luck to him

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
hayes66 wrote:

He played 5 games in his last year at the saints and when he was a year older he played 6 at Adelaide. How have they treated him better than we did?[/quoteApparently was kept isolated from the senior group and not communicated with. No plan put to him. May be Adelaide set him a program. Anyone bagging the whole academy concept need to realise that this kind of simple structure can give the players vision and hope.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Lynch was drafted around where he should have, just perhaps by the wrong team. He's a Pavlich sized KPF with elite endurance and strong overhead marking skills. The only reason he wasn't top-10 was because it was an abnormally strong draft. I'm not sure he ever made a lot of sense for us. We had Roo and Kosi up front and Lyon wasn't going to play a third tall. My memory has most people around here wanting us to take Sam Blease or Jackson Trengove and I think both of those would have been better fits. I can't blame them for taking the best player on the board though. There's no way to know what you're going to need 3-5 years down the road when picks start to really mature.

Given the shenanigans that went on in Adelaide regarding Tippett, I wonder if they told Tom his chances of getting a KPF spot would be dramatically improved this year. It didn't make much sense at the time. He left a team with older established KPFs for a team with younger established KPFs.

Good on him for kicking ten, even if it was against historically awful opposition. Newnes really does fit our current needs better, so hopefully this is one of those trades that works out for everyone.

Yeah nah pleasing positive