Tom Lynch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Lynch

Good on him .

I used to rate him .

I could have kicked 2 today .

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
We did get lucky with Newnes who was a great selection....

No luck...but the start of a more disciplined and scientific approach to recruiting. Which was the same reason that Lynch left.

As mentioned Lynch is a good VFL level player...and that was the level of the game today against GWS who are struggling.
BigMart wrote:Easily a top 20 pick IMO and Lynch should've been a second rounder

I'd say we ended up ahead on the deal.....
Agree.

if we can keep ending up ahead in our deals we will improve at a quicker rate.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cannavaro17
Club Player

Can we blame Ross lying for his lack of development to make us feel better?

Winmar
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh kicked 6 against sub standard opposition sio I wouldn't go overboard.

Which forward should we have ditched and kept Lynch?

I thought Lynch was OK, but looked slow and out of his depth in the seniors.

Good luck to him. Did we make a mistake by cutting him? Maybe. May have lost. But we did get Newnes, and we do win sometimes (Roberton seems a goer, Ray has been good for a few years, Schneider and Dempster have been excellent for us).

So you take the good with the bad. Hopefully our drafting gets better as we go forward.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

id rather lynch than kosi

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:id rather lynch than kosi
Well Kosi was playing OK in 2011, was playing forward and relieving in the ruck.

Lynch couldn't play up forward or in the ruck in 2011.

I'd rather Maister to Lynch

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PurpleHayes
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Good on him, but seriously is only an average footballer. Had a day where everything lined up for him
WOW. 10 goals in just his 11th afl game. Against GWS or not that's still a bloody good effort.

Wish some of our young forwards would have a 'day where everything lined up for them'.

People are still knocking lynch on here but I ask why then can't Lee or Maister kick anything near 10 v the suns or giants?

Perhaps lynch has improved and now he is being given opportunity with Tex out?

Will be very interesting to see if he kicks any against us next weekend.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Why can't we just be happy for the bloke.

Didn't get served an opportunity with us? Tough luck. We were going super well and he was pressing but not amazing.

He left for whatever reasons.

Great day for him!

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

cannavaro17 wrote:Can we blame Ross lying for his lack of development to make us feel better?
One of Tom's biggest complaints was that the senior coach had spoken to him personally no more than 3 times in his time at St Kilda. He was ready to move on. SW tried to talk him out of it, but he had already decided he needed to go.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It was his 16th game and he a lifelong Saints supporter. He didn't want to leave, but had no choice under the Lyin regime.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
felix
Club Player

Do you think he will cry next week.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

That wasn't worth posting

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ctqs
Club Player

He wasn't given much of a go, but nor was Simpkin, Steven, and even Armo under the previous regime. Still, I don't know how he'd make us a better team in the long term. GWS was more like an under-19s team with a smattering of experienced players, than an AFL side. Imagine what Plugger in full flight would've done. I remember a game against the Bears at Moorabbin in late 1991 where Plugger was rested. He would've kicked 20 that day had he played. He would've kicked more than that today.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
That wasn't worth posting
Well someone asked who he would replace.
I gave a straight answer. Fact is Kosi is on out list.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:It was his 16th game and he a lifelong Saints supporter. He didn't want to leave, but had no choice under the Lyin regime.
That makes no sense. Lyon left before Lynch did.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
supersaints
Club Player

Thought he showed a bit, but he does have red hair!!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

PurpleHayes wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Good on him, but seriously is only an average footballer. Had a day where everything lined up for him
WOW. 10 goals in just his 11th afl game. Against GWS or not that's still a bloody good effort.

Wish some of our young forwards would have a 'day where everything lined up for them'.

People are still knocking lynch on here but I ask why then can't Lee or Maister kick anything near 10 v the suns or giants?

Perhaps lynch has improved and now he is being given opportunity with Tex out?

Will be very interesting to see if he kicks any against us next weekend.
This is a great point. I've said about a dozen times on here I hope losing Lynch doesnt bite us on the backside.

What you say is correct, last time Saints had someone kick double figures was either Milnes or Roo. How long ago was that? The day Sippo kicks 5 we'll be screaming it from the rooftops, even if its only against a bunch of kids.

Kicking 10 is a major feat and to knock it or to knock Lynch for going out and doing it is poor form.

I wonder what really happened though, crazy Saints family and one eyed Saints supporter, leaves us with a year to go on a contract. We were happy to facilitate the move, I guess it was before Walsh did the dirty on us but still, there must be more to it.

Either way, I continue to rate him and those with the time and effort to go through my posts in the past can attest to that...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

10 is a fantastic effort regardless of the opposition.
We decided that we were happy to let him go so we should be happy to see him succeed.
Another wasted first rounder by our abysmal recruitment team.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it was one of those days
gws were woeful
didnt really man him up
always had plenty of room

good on him

70s sainter
Club Player

At this stage I'd still rather have newnes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hard call between newnes and Lynch. Newnes has played nearly as many games already so hard to judge as Newnes is getting every chance to develop at a young age. My mate had a nephew who played with Lynch and Jack Watts at the Dragons and he always complained that we didn't get games into him. Said he was the type who always needed to get senior games to get his confidence up. Didn't like the fact he wasn't even backed into a position at Sandy. He gave me a call to remind me last night about his call on him.

He actually rated Lynch above Watts at junior level because Lynch had to work his arse off to do the things he did and did them . He said Watts was bigger stronger and just coasted. Sounds like the way he still rolls.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Lynch's departure is one of the major arguments for having a stand alone VFL side. Lynch was drafted as a key forward... & played as a key defender at Sandy (& played quite well). When he was given a run in the ones where was he played? As a 3rd tall forward, trying to get hold of a ball that heads in the direction of Roo or Kosi 95% of the time. From all reports Ross was not focused on developing kids at Sandy but maybe he didn't have any say in the direction that the Sandy coaching staff took with St Kilda listed players.

Everyone raves about how Collingwood & Geelong have a seemingly endless line of kids coming into senior footy & fitting in like a 50 game veteran. They know their role, what to do under pressure & what the game plan is all about. Why? Because their kids have been schooled during their time at VFL level about all of those things. Winning VFL games is not the priority (although the Cats have done alright)... it's about developing their kids in the best possible way.

I have little doubt that if St Kilda had it's own VFL team over the past 5 seasons some of those kids that are now off the list would be playing good quality senior footy.

Back to the original point... I'm very happy with Jack Newnes & think he'll end up having a better career than Tom Lynch.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Lynch's departure is one of the major arguments for having a stand alone VFL side. Lynch was drafted as a key forward... & played as a key defender at Sandy
Very good point.

Lance or James??

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:10 is a fantastic effort regardless of the opposition.
We decided that we were happy to let him go so we should be happy to see him succeed.
Another wasted first rounder by our abysmal recruitment team.
Great post!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:It was his 16th game and he a lifelong Saints supporter. He didn't want to leave, but had no choice under the Lyin regime.
That makes no sense. Lyon left before Lynch did.
Both left at the end of 2011. Tom had asked to be traded before Ross walked.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell