Trading players like dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Trading players like dal

All this talk of possible trades of players has me thinking...
As much as it pains me as Dal, joey et al are some of my all time favourite players I believe there is some logic to it.

Fact is we missed our chance with the wonder group we built from the late 90s early 2000s. we all know the history and there is no point in thrashing it out - we didn't get the glory we so desired.
Fact is they are ageing stars and their currency is decreasing albeit still of value to clubs having a tilt
Fact is if traded / compensated appropriately then our rebuild takes an express and we all of a sudden have a core group of talent coming through. (Imagine a bottom 6 finish this year + some compensation pick(s) and we would have some kids of quality) - assumes quality drafting..

In my mind the only untouchable are roo and lenny. any ine else with currency is tradeable for the right price / outcome.

In the end this group may not of delivered us a flag but they may very well help us secure one in the future.

Thoughts?

#1 Ryder fan
shmic_s
Club Player

Re: Trading players like dal

Melbourne... They could have/should have kept green, Bruce, McDonald etc around longer.
Open to the idea but needs to be a balance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Both are now only second rounders. Hardly worth the amount of crap the club would cop and also the bad taste in the mouth it would give supporters. If they want to leave then let them go but dont force them out. If they went as well and Lenny and Milne retiring we would finish last or second last. is that what the club needs?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sentiment aside not sure we could expect much more than a second rounder for Dal.Monty
would make me sick to think we got less for one of them than we gave for Lovett!

shmic_s
Club Player

Already lost BJ. Milne, Lenny, Blake, Kosi will, most likely, be gone too.
So in 2 years, we will need Dal/Joey/Fisher.

(Wont comment on the champ, looking as good as ever when I had believed he was on the decline.)

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

As a restricted free agent are you sure we would only get a second rounder,

Agree about the bad taste element. They'd have to be tempted to leave and then we would need to make the most if it

#1 Ryder fan
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Only if he was unhappy to stay with us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:As a restricted free agent are you sure we would only get a second rounder,

Agree about the bad taste element. They'd have to be tempted to leave and then we would need to make the most if it

You could be right about the FA. We may get nothing. That hasnt been decided yet but hopefully they will stop compensation. Its the only way FA works properly.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Dal is restricted right?

#1 Ryder fan
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Dal is restricted right?

also in Club and Dal's minds contracted for 2014

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Dal is restricted right?

Only if neither party signs a clause he has in his contract for next year.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Melbourne... They could have/should have kept green, Bruce, McDonald etc around longer.
Open to the idea but needs to be a balance.

that's the problem I believe Melbourne's problems are a combination of instilling a loser mentality (by tanking) bad player development/recruiting and cutting experienced players too early and at the same time.

The saints need to avoid those pitfalls and phase out the old players not letting them all leave at the same time, this may require trading a older player timing the retirements carefully

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn don't seem to have a salary cap, maybe they'll entice him like they did… Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake, Guerra, Gunston, Hale…

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dal wouldn't be worth anything now, can't beat a tag, even the Bulldogs would reject him..

Hope he stays and extracts the digit and we get a bit more value out of him...

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I dunno, some players at our clubstill have a sense of loyalty. we go down the path of moving players on the moment they're past their past their best... well wecreate a culture where we encourage players to take the best offer. I think you have to go down the hard line stance of only paying them what they're worth and rewarding the loyalty. Dal shld stay with his money dec the worst he plays

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would say the iconic players are worth more at the club than as trade bait. Lenny won't go any where and will most likely go at the end of the season. Kosi and Blake are already pretty much out the door. I hope he's pushed into a more rewarding role where he isn't forced to try to break tags. Let him run off the back flank and set up play.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

How would Dal go in another postion. Could that work to rejuvinate his interest and get him into the play a bit more. Halfback flank?

felix
Club Player

Dal needs to lose it , go psycho , take some legal angry pills find some spunk and just floor the tagger . So what if he gets rubbed out for a week , the opposition know he is soft on the physical stuff.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

We have only two older players who would get us a first rounder at the moment.
They are Roo and Fisher, because of their respective ages Dal, Monty etc... are likely to get us a second rounder at best.
IF Roo wanted to chase that premiership and Collingwood, Carlton or maybe even Rosco came knocking what would we do?
They would trade their first rounder and possibly even a decent kid as well.
That is the position I would be concerned with.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Dal wouldn't be worth anything now, can't beat a tag, even the Bulldogs would reject him..

Hope he stays and extracts the digit and we get a bit more value out of him...
i think your missing the point .. a club like the bulldogs would have no use for Dal as they are rebuilding themselves ... i dont think any club would be willing to trade Dal in as their number 1 midfielder (and lets be honest he would go close to that with almost every bottom 8 club) but a club that already has a strong midfield would consider Dal to lift the quallity of their midfield as their third tier midfielder ... imagine if Collingwood signed him how much of a tag do you think Dal will cop when the opp has to also worry about swan, thomas and pendles ....

personally i think Dal needs to stay - he is more than likely getting paid what he is worth and deserves to become a one club St Kilda legend

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

A club like the Pies or Hawks would give their first rounder (around pick 15-18) for him for the exact reason Trav mentioned IMO....He's value depends on which team he would go to....He's worth pick 25-30 for a club like the Dogs or Dees.....Personally I hope and suspect he's stays.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Hawthorn don't seem to have a salary cap, maybe they'll entice him like they did… Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake, Guerra, Gunston, Hale…

we have pelchen now..

#1 Ryder fan
St Igmata
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:A club like the Pies or Hawks would give their first rounder (around pick 15-18) for him for the exact reason Trav mentioned IMO....He's value depends on which team he would go to....He's worth pick 25-30 for a club like the Dogs or Dees.....Personally I hope and suspect he's stays.
Who was the last 30 year old turning 31 next year who any club has parted with a first round pick for?
He would be worth a pick 30 to 35. If he was a key position player maybe better

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:How would Dal go in another postion. Could that work to rejuvinate his interest and get him into the play a bit more. Halfback flank?
To be honest, no.

Wright Roberton and likes are developing too well to make room for an under performing Dal.

Start him as sub thus week IMO.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Already lost BJ. Milne, Lenny, Blake, Kosi will, most likely, be gone too.
So in 2 years, we will need Dal/Joey/Fisher.

(Wont comment on the champ, looking as good as ever when I had believed he was on the decline.)
Blake is a definite and I also think Milne and Lenny may hang 'em up....Kos should go out on a high and not look for another contract, especially with Hickey, Lee and Maister being the clubs preferred options in the 'rejuvenation', but......

Kosi now mooted by the Adelaide Advertiser as a possibility to help Tex Walker in 2014. He's got a family to feed, so if the Kos hasn't got another job lined up next year...and if the Crows FC are thinking the same way as the journos over there - you never know.

If Crows are convinced that they're in the premiership window then it is not impossible to conceive (just like Collingwood picked up Ben Hudson and other teams have done with retired players that left there former clubs and have been picked up for depth). The Crows were very good last year when they had the twin towers going and they had confidence in bombing it in and giving Tippett an opportunity to take pack marks or contested marks - that's what the Kos can do best if he is given enough ball. Not sure if we can get anything for him, but that would be a positive for us

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6639667298