Tough Decisions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Re: Tough Decisions

bobmurray wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Would have said you are mad at the start of the season.

The biggest thing I've learnt from the first 5 rounds is that 2009 was a long long time ago, it was the peak. 9 players that played that grandfinal are no longer with us, 7 are in their 30s or turning 30, another stuck on the fringe. Whos left from that? Dal and Dempster who turn 30 next year, Jones and Gilbert who are a bit of whipping boys on here and Schneider who is having injury trouble. Fast forward another year to 2010 GF and all you can add that list is Gwilt.

Its a new generation for saints and it does excite me, but holding on will only prolong the pain, rip off the bandaid.
Any change for the future needs to be considered with an open mind, it may be hard at first but if it could mean multiple less years of pain down the road, then the move must be made. We know who the club legends are and will honour them no matter what their fate is by the end of the season.

Maybe those that can't let go will learn something from your post, we need to evolve, the players that got us there in 09 and 10 won't get us there again, they will have to be phased out...

That's life folks...Keep evolving Scott.....or rejuvenating if that's what you insist...
Just trying to work it out and one eludes me:
Gardiner
Goddard
Gram
King
Baker
Dawson
McQualter
Ball
who is the other one?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Eddy

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
groupie1
Club Player

markinUSA wrote:Eddy
Thought of him... are you sure he played 2009?

groupie1
Club Player

No... it was Raph Clarke

spert
Saintsational Legend

The oldies have to perform and be leaders, not be selected on past form. Not much good for youngsters to see the older blokes getting beaten to the ball every game. Roo is leading by example, so should the rest.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Maybe trade Dal at the end of the season for a mid 20's player and 30's draft pick??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Maybe trade Dal at the end of the season for a mid 20's player and 30's draft pick??
Which club would be a good suitor to Dal though?

Maybe a team that is a top 4 side and has a midfield issue?

Maybe a team much lower on the ladder but looking to inject some experience around younger guys?

I would think that as far as Dal is concerned he would be looking for maximum dollars and a chance at a flag. Seems the obvious choice but maybe not everyone is wired that way.

The bottom line though is that Dal and the club might be at a stage where it is in the best interest of both parties to part company. It possibly rejuvinates Dals interest and motivation and for the club they can focus on develping his replacement sooner rather than later.

I'll be honest, if we don't start seeing some dramatic improvement over the next few rounds, I would be leaning towards letting him go at the end of his contract. When is that? Can somebody that knows let us know.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 05 May 2013 9:55am, edited 1 time in total.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:
bobmurray wrote:It's all right showing respect for players but respect won't win matches.

If they can't cut it then they should be dumped, Watters needs to evolve the team into one that can compete
with the top teams. I don't care who goes if it helps the team..
Ok Bobmurray so when you dump the players who apparently 'can't cut it' who the faaaak do you suggest replaces
Them!?

Lets pull Leigh fisher off the umpires deserves?! Ha
Wanker
Great comeback, that certainly added something to the debate.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

As I've said before, success this season is not about the win loss ratio, or even winning games. Yes we like to win games, but their has been some great success this year.
Seb Ross, Nathan Wright, Roberton to name a few, and there will be more.
There is no doubt that both Blake and Kosi are in their last season, and personally, and it is good for club culture that Kosi get his 200th game, Strength thru Loyalty our banner says, and not just tossing your champions out breeds culture, just ask Bakes how he was treated by Lyon, he deserved better.
Sipposs still excites me, Stanley does too, in fact after Friday night, I personally think the smartest thing Stanley could be advised to do is go watch a lot of video of how Dustin Fletcher plays and learn from it.
Time may have finally caught up with Milne and Lenny, and this could be their last year as well. But these guys help mentor the young guys, as someone pointed out in another thread on Dermie's opinion of Kosi was how he was teaching the young guys how to play a forward structure, this sort of stuff is invaluable.
There will be a natural attrition over the next few seasons, there is no need to speed it up.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Would have said you are mad at the start of the season.

The biggest thing I've learnt from the first 5 rounds is that 2009 was a long long time ago, it was the peak. 9 players that played that grandfinal are no longer with us, 7 are in their 30s or turning 30, another stuck on the fringe. Whos left from that? Dal and Dempster who turn 30 next year, Jones and Gilbert who are a bit of whipping boys on here and Schneider who is having injury trouble. Fast forward another year to 2010 GF and all you can add that list is Gwilt.

Its a new generation for saints and it does excite me, but holding on will only prolong the pain, rip off the bandaid.
Any change for the future needs to be considered with an open mind, it may be hard at first but if it could mean multiple less years of pain down the road, then the move must be made. We know who the club legends are and will honour them no matter what their fate is by the end of the season.
Just trying to work it out and one eludes me:
Gardiner
Goddard
Gram
King
Baker
Dawson
McQualter
Ball
who is the other one?
Yep...spot on - it was Raph

anyhooo, interesting that Blake, Ray, and Schnieds also not playing in current team ( and only Schnieds is a forced out ). Jimmy and Adam should be in our best 22 if fit, but still....that's 12 new players in the current team in the space of 3 and half years.

Dal or Chips are quality players and anything but past it - would hate to see them leave. Maybe we should be looking to trade a guy like Dempster who should be worth some currency...as for the inevitable retirements, there will be opportunities for the 2014 draftees to learn and SW and team are not shy in giving games to new recruits.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Will be some tough decisions at years end - wont be easy.

Ill have a guess:

7 Outs: Blake, Kosi, Milne, Hayes, Schneider (Retired), Ledger ,TDL (delisted)
7 Ins: Pick 6, Pick #, M Brown, Pick #, Pick #, Ferguson, Curren

The big questions:

1. Does Fisher go around again?
2. Do we trade for NDS?
3. Do Port Power want to trade for Milera?
4. Where is Schnieds body really at?