Have we been slow to respond to changing rule interpretation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Have we been slow to respond to changing rule interpretation

From the footy I've watched this season, it seems to me that there have been a couple of clear changes in the interpretation of tackling/disposal rules.

My take is that the rules committee have identified the need to reduce the number of stoppages and so have made these changes:

First change, when the ball is in hot dispute, there will be no penalty for incorrect disposal as long as the ball keeps moving. The only penalties appear to be not being seen to make an attempt to get rid of it, a clear intention to throw or being tackled after you've clearly had time to dispose of it. Some teams appear to have responded more quickly to this than others. In our last two games, we have been beaten badly in the hotly contested packs because our opponents seem to have understood that this year you don't need to get a legal handball or kick away, you've just got to keep it moving. You can let it spill out, you can make an attempt at a handball or kick and miss it, you can even sling it forwards; as long as it doesn't get tied up, all is OK. While we're complaining about 'obvious' free kicks not paid or getting caught trying to dispose of the ball legally we are finding the ball cleared away by the opposition and hence our low contested possession stats.

Second change, in an attempt to stop 'stacks on' packs forming, it appears that any contact with the back of a player on the ground and in possession is being penalized. In previous years, the in the back rule hasn't applied if the player is already on the ground (within reason) but this year, I've seen us penalized consistently for gentle contact where in recent years, we would have received a free paid against the player in possession.

I suspect that our slow response to these interpretation changes is one of the main reasons why we're usually on the wrong end of the frees for/against equation this year.

Thoughts?

Faithful Even Unto Death
lloyd21
Club Player

Re: Have we been slow to respond to changing rule interpreta

Been killed by inconsistent decisions by the men in green actually .

But reality is take negative and turn into positive we will be able to draft the best players in competition for 1st time in a while.