Brogan to Tribunal for Newnes hit-(broken jaw?)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brogan to Tribunal for Newnes hit-(broken jaw?)

sunsaint wrote:
joffaboy wrote: So what you are saying is because Newnes made the initial contact, Brogan had the right to smash his face in with his forearm?

Yeah OK. :roll:
no I am saying
if brogan was kosi & newnes was collingwood player everyone here would be saying he got whats coming
I would have thought the collingwood rule is pretty self explanatory for most

That is rubbish. Do think any right minded person would condone one of our players breaking the jaw of a teenager because he bumped him?

Fair dinkum, we are speaking of a young man here, i dont care what flipping colours he wears.

Were you happy when Plugger smashed Cavens head in? if you were you need help immediately.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He initiated contact by holding his path up, if someone does that in a supermarkert they go to gaol. Not on IMO. If kosi hit a Collingwood player off the play i would lose respect for him as a person too. I think he means after Newnes says he initiated contact so i assume he hasn't understood the incident as it sounds like newnes ran in and try to hit Brogan but bounced off his arm. He obviously takes someone getting in his way badly.

As for we get picked on Byron, I think they just have flexible rules. If one of their new franchises, Collingwood who can cause them head aches or a major club will be dealt with differently. I think the umpires are poorly instructed, over complicated instructions are heaped on them and they are biased and or corrupt.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Why do you keep referring to Newnes as a kid or a teenager Joffa?
Because he fkn is.
Moods wrote:They are playing senior footy - everyone is equal out on the field.
Yes FOOTBALL, not assualt where you get illegally get your jaw broken by a thug with form.

So Lenny was wrong to say to Brogan "did you deck one of our young blokes off the ball"

You know more than Lenny about AFL football do you?
Moods wrote:You are like a journalist with your emotive language
And you are a defending someone who broke one of our palyers jaws - nice :roll:

Moods wrote: Who cares what Brogan has done off the field. It's irrelevant to this set of circumstances.
He assaulted people in aitrports and parks. he assaulted a footballer on a football field - totally relevant.
Moods wrote:Why Newnes would be trying to check someone running off the ground appears ridiculous? Did he deserve to have his jaw broken?
Sound like you think he DID deserve it.
Moods wrote: Brogan will miss 3 weeks and Newnes will learn a valuable lesson about senior footy.
So whats the lesson moods? Dont be physical? Dont touch the other players? Expect to have plates inserted into your face because you checked a player?

you and your ilk will cry blue murder if Newnes takesa look or ducks his head. But hey he learnt a lesson, say the tough guy on the internet. You eating your dinner through a straw moods? :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
gringo wrote:
They are not picking on us ..........

Gringo, you wrote this I've quoted above.......and a few posts earlier in the thread you wrote this, "If it had been one of ours hitting someone like Cameron it would have been 30 weeks."

So which one is it? Are "they", whoever "they" are, picking on us or not.
Calm down rainman. I think they are probably on the take as they seem unable to officiate in an even manner. Not just our games. Something is broken- either the instructions to them are poor or they given so many new laws they don't know what to do anymore. The tribunal seems to have different rules for different clubs. North, Bulldogs, Dees and Saints cop the huge penalties as we will shut up and take it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6621097199
Asked by AFL legal counsel Jeff Gleeson where he struck Newnes, Brogan said:"I can't explain where I hit him.'

'The Giants big man said he was "fully aware'' of the league's crackdown on "a lot of stuff'' off the ball.Newnes said in a statement to an AFL investigations officer that "I decided to run over and bump (Brogan) to provide a presence."

He said he felt contact to the jaw, but couldn't be more specific.

"I think I stayed on my feet, but I don't remember too much after that,'' he said.

St Kilda trainer Andrew Waddington told the hearing that he saw the clash as he ran towards Newnes with a drink bottle.

"I saw his (Brogan) shoulder come up. The elbow wasn't out, but considering his height, I believe that's what hit Jack,'' he said.

Medical reports submitted by the Saints said Newnes was "dazed and confused'' when taken off for a formal assessment and eventually subbed out at quarter time.

He was sent for a scan and X-ray after complaining of soreness to the jaw and he's expected to miss at least the next two rounds.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moods
Saintsational Legend

JB - you need to calm down and stop carrying on like a half wit.

Not defending Brogan in the slightest. I reckon what he got from the tribunal was fair enough. Just because I'm not screaming for his blood and hollering emotive rubbish on an internet forum doesn't make me neither a tough guy or a soft c**k. The way you are jumping up and down, you would think that Brogan ran in from behind 100m off the ball and swung at Newnes Barry Hall style, then trotted off the ground. You seem incapable of grasping that Newnes initiated the entire thing. Not having a go at him, but why try and check a bloke running off the ground? What purpose does it serve? What possible advantage do the saints get from it? It was silly and he paid a harsh penalty. He certainly didn't deserve to have his jaw broken - rarely does anyone deserve that - and I don't reckon I said that. All I'm saying is that I don't reckon (from what I've read and viewed) is that it wasn't Brogan's intent to smash his face in. I reckon 99% of ruckman of his physique would have done exactly the same thing though. That is raise a forearm to protect himself from unexpected contact. Why is that so unreasonable to you?

If Brogan had of done this to say Leigh Montagna, would it have mitigated the incident somewhat in your eyes because Joey is approaching 30? Makes no difference to me. It was either dirty or it wasn't - stop trying to hysterically drum up the thing by wailing about Newnes being a 'kid' or a 'teenager' Your the one who actually makes Newnes appear a bit soft by talking like that. He's a young man playing against other men, some of them his own age or not much older.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: So Lenny was wrong to say to Brogan "did you deck one of our young blokes off the ball"

You know more than Lenny about AFL football do you?
Maybe Lenny doesn't know his name yet.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:?

If Brogan had of done this to say Leigh Montagna, would it have mitigated the incident somewhat in your eyes because Joey is approaching 30? Makes no difference to me. It was either dirty or it wasn't - stop trying to hysterically drum up the thing by wailing about Newnes being a 'kid' or a 'teenager' Your the one who actually makes Newnes appear a bit soft by talking like that. He's a young man playing against other men, some of them his own age or not much older.
What a load of s***.

Its not hysterical. I have a right to be disgusted in some thug with form who has assaulted people in parks and airports smashing in the face of a young player, or is having two plates inserted into his face just a good learning experience as you reckon?

Yes he is a young man playing against other men. Playing FOOTBALL not getting his face smashed in by a neanderthal ape and a known thug.

But good on you for defending him to the hilt. Must make you feel worthy to defend his honour and the fact that AFL is a "mans game" hey?

Well pal, i find nothing manly in breaking someones jaw. But of course it was Newnes fault for having the audacity of bumping Brogan.

You people want to carry on about the tough sport AFL is. Well you can be tough but fair, and if you think anything is fair about getting your jaw broken so badly that you have to have two plates inserted into your face there is something seriously wrong with you.

Newnes is an AFL footballer and would expect to have injuries, that is not the issue. But this BS defense of "oh its AFL football" is just absolute unmittigated garbage.

Brogan is a dinosaur and an anachronism. These dog acts belong to a bygone era, and if you think they are part and parcel of AFL football, so do you.

Lance or James??

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
joffaboy wrote: So what you are saying is because Newnes made the initial contact, Brogan had the right to smash his face in with his forearm?

Yeah OK. :roll:
no I am saying
if brogan was kosi & newnes was collingwood player everyone here would be saying he got whats coming
I would have thought the collingwood rule is pretty self explanatory for most

That is rubbish. Do think any right minded person would condone one of our players breaking the jaw of a teenager because he bumped him?

Fair dinkum, we are speaking of a young man here, i dont care what flipping colours he wears.the

Were you happy when Plugger smashed Cavens head in? if you were you need help immediately.
no i wasnt, and lockett got what he deserved, but i think the point a few of us are tying to make is that newnes instigated the whole thing
Am i happy about his broken jaw~ no dont be rediculous
Its a bit like calling caven a thug if he raised his arm to protect himself against lockett

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
st.byron wrote:
gringo wrote:
They are not picking on us ..........

Gringo, you wrote this I've quoted above.......and a few posts earlier in the thread you wrote this, "If it had been one of ours hitting someone like Cameron it would have been 30 weeks."

So which one is it? Are "they", whoever "they" are, picking on us or not.
Calm down rainman. I think they are probably on the take as they seem unable to officiate in an even manner. Not just our games. Something is broken- either the instructions to them are poor or they given so many new laws they don't know what to do anymore. The tribunal seems to have different rules for different clubs. North, Bulldogs, Dees and Saints cop the huge penalties as we will shut up and take it.

Got proof or again just writing stuff to get the few to say I agree.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

How the hell did the tribunral make this decision on that footage and Newnes and Brogans evidence?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:How the hell did the tribunral make this decision on that footage and Newnes and Brogans evidence?
It was right in front of the bench, wasn't it? I assume there might have been some evidence from other players/staff?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
CURLY wrote:How the hell did the tribunral make this decision on that footage and Newnes and Brogans evidence?
It was right in front of the bench, wasn't it? I assume there might have been some evidence from other players/staff?

Amazing really. Then the question has to be asked Baker on Farmer 8? Brogan breaks a jaw 3??

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Brogan has always tried to injure our players...every game we played against Port he would try to hurt Roo...what a pryk!

Nee!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Newnes has done the old school backing the player in thing and said he was trying to hold him up. You can't just whack someone for getting in your way. I have stood in front of people to stop their path in footy and never got a broken jaw for it. Newnes was helping Brogan out not the aggressor.

Maklom
Club Player

Saw the footage and once again Dean Brogan has again proved how much of a scumbag he really is. He loves hitting our blokes and has been doing so for years.

Anyone thinking that Jack Newnes was in the wrong needs to get their head read. Lenny did the right thing by confronting Bogan after the game and I reckon 3 weeks is soft, he should have got 5 at least.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

3 weeks is plenty
you cant see f*** all from the footage tho

Maklom
Club Player

I can see plenty, we may not be looking at the same footage. Although your double negative may mean that we both agree there was enough to be seen to book him.

What I saw:

Brogan running at pace, Jack near him they are going to cross paths so Jack braces to check him. Either player would have to have moved away to avoid contact, Bogan continues in a straight line and clobbers Jack with an elbow or forearem, Jack has a broken jaw and concussion.

Dirty act from a mongrel of a footballer with a history of violence on and off the field and gets 3 weeks. Glad he got penalized but should have got more.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Moods wrote:?

What a load of s***.

Its not hysterical. I have a right to be disgusted in some thug with form who has assaulted people in parks and airports smashing in the face of a young player, or is having two plates inserted into his face just a good learning experience as you reckon?

Yes he is a young man playing against other men. Playing FOOTBALL not getting his face smashed in by a neanderthal ape and a known thug.

But good on you for defending him to the hilt. Must make you feel worthy to defend his honour and the fact that AFL is a "mans game" hey?

Well pal, i find nothing manly in breaking someones jaw. But of course it was Newnes fault for having the audacity of bumping Brogan.

You people want to carry on about the tough sport AFL is. Well you can be tough but fair, and if you think anything is fair about getting your jaw broken so badly that you have to have two plates inserted into your face there is something seriously wrong with you.

Newnes is an AFL footballer and would expect to have injuries, that is not the issue. But this BS defense of "oh its AFL football" is just absolute unmittigated garbage.

Brogan is a dinosaur and an anachronism. These dog acts belong to a bygone era, and if you think they are part and parcel of AFL football, so do you.

Most illogical rant ever. I think you must be a journo - one of the bad ones. Talk about putting words in ppl's mouths. Your problem JB is once you get a grudge against someone (in this case Brogan) you become completely irrational about everything about that person.

Where did I say this entire incident was Newnes fault? I'm merely suggesting that he would be taking a small degree of responsibility for what happened. Newnes by his own evidence appears to agree with me, and the tribunal by their stern, but not harsh, penalty also seem to agree. You see what you want to see, both on the field and in posts on this forum.

Where did I say 'Oh it's AFL football'? Never.

Everything's a dog act. Everythings an absolute disgrace. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Amazing really. Then the question has to be asked Baker on Farmer 8? Brogan breaks a jaw 3??
Yes it makes you wonder how anyone is convicted of a crime without filming it. maybe they heard the evidence. The question is did you?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Yes it makes you wonder how anyone is convicted of a crime without filming it. maybe they heard the evidence. The question is did you?

Yeah I did Newnes said it was his fault. Trainer said it wasnt. Very similar to Bakers just that Baker got 7.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Yeah I did Newnes said it was his fault. Trainer said it wasnt. Very similar to Bakers just that Baker got 7.

I have no idea if it was like Bakes. you heard the evidence of both so can you give us a rundown. And was Bakes given 7 or was that after add ons?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I have no idea if it was like Bakes. you heard the evidence of both so can you give us a rundown. And was Bakes given 7 or was that after add ons?
add-ons.

Think it was 4 plus 3.

Still how this animal gets 3 for breaking a kids jaw makes you wonder - oh thats right he is from the AFL love child the GWS.

Go easy, fella's, can harm the brand up here.

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:no i wasnt, and lockett got what he deserved, but i think the point a few of us are tying to make is that newnes instigated the whole thing
Am i happy about his broken jaw~ no dont be rediculous
Its a bit like calling caven a thug if he raised his arm to protect himself against lockett

so Brogan is the victim in all this? Poor Brogan, Newnes should have got weeks instead hey?

Oh moods BTW, your hyperbole is incredible. Never said everything was a dog act. Kosi got a fractured skull 20 metres in front of me. Never thought that was a dog act.

Goose got knocked out - never thought that was a dog act.

But breaking a kids jaw certainly is. But hey keep defending poor victim Brogan from that dastardly Newnes :roll:

Lance or James??

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Just read the report in the papers of what has been said. Makes me shake my head in disbelief. Brogan running off the ground, Newnes runs over to make contact, for no other reason than a show of strength, Brogan doesn't deviate off his line, doesn't raise an elbow, but according to our own trainers evidence, basically tucked his elbow in and received contact. However because 'young Jack' is significantly smaller than Brogan it appears that Brogan's shoulder has caught Newnes on the jaw as he kept running.

And this is Brogan's fault? :shock:

JB I apologise you're right. NOW I am defending Brogan.

What a joke! Take away the players and teams involved (or who belted who in a park/airport 5 years ago) and consider this. Player A is making his way off the ground and the ball is 100m away. As he he's running off he catches out of the corner of his eye player B making a beeline twds him, with intent to make contact. Player A keeps his line and braces (fairly) for contact by tucking his elbow in and preparing to bump. They make contact. Player A is significantly taller and as a result the point of his shoulder makes contact with Player B's face.

Suddenly Player A is held accountable for the entire incident! Player A has a duty of care to Player B even though Player B was trying to clean him up! :lol: What was Brogan supposed to do? Allow himself to be cleaned up? Stop running? Brogan didn't even stop to remonstrate (which I believe he was entitled to do) He just kept running to the bench.

Of course Lenny had a go at him. He probably thought there had to be more to it.

I actually find myself agreeing with JB on one point. The decision was an absolute disgrace. I can only imagine if we lost McEvoy in these circumstances how annoyed I'd be.