Brogan to Tribunal for Newnes hit-(broken jaw?)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Brogan to Tribunal for Newnes hit-(broken jaw?)

I know Newnes got in his way but does that mean he should have his jaw broken? 3 weeks isn't nearly enough for me??? 6 to 8 for a broken jaw surely? What a joke...

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:see you next tuesday gutless wonder should be either in jail or a mental institution.

Absolute violent thug who should be made to retire from competitive AFL before he flattens another teenager behind play.

Incredible Baker gets 7 weeks for giving Farmer a blood nose, that nobody saw.

This neanderthal gets 3 for breakign a kids jaw.

Found guilty - charges should be made for violent assault.

Get this thug off the streets.

Sickening.
Vision shows Newnes initiating contact.
So every player who initiates contact deserves to have their jaw broken do they?

yeah good one :roll: :roll:

The guy is an out and out thug. A little bump happens a thousand times a game, but this criminal breaks a teenagers jaw, behind play and you defend him.
Shame on you
JB you like pointing out things that were not said. Where did I say he deserved a broken jaw. When Newnes initiated the contact Brogan obviously did something like stick out an elbow and that then broke his jaw. The tribunal heard all the evidence and found it was negligent contact. And how the hell am I defending the guy. Stop making things up. I take it you thought Plugger and Big carl were criminals as well?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Deserved more....

Broke his jaw with his forearm..... Constituting a strike.

Newnes initiated contact with a block/check as players are instructed to do throughout the midfield..... That doesn't mean Brogan can whack him high with a forearm and with such force he cannot continue, and misses weeks.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[JB you like pointing out things that were not said. Where did I say he deserved a broken jaw. When Newnes initiated the contact Brogan obviously did something like stick out an elbow and that then broke his jaw. The tribunal heard all the evidence and found it was negligent contact. And how the hell am I defending the guy. Stop making things up. I take it you thought Plugger and Big carl were criminals as well?
Cant remember either being brought up on charges of assaulting people in parks and airports.

And I though both were thugs on the field. But if you think 2013 AFL is the same as 1960 VFL or 1990s AFL you are deluded.

A thug breaks a kids jaw and you want to argue that its somehow OK because the tribunal gave him three weeks.

What would you get on the street for breaking someones jaw? What did Matthews get for breaking Bruns jaw?

IMO the AFl made a statement about dirty play in getting rid of Baker. I am applying the Baker rule to this neanderthal who has a long form sheet for violent behaviour.

I have a right to be disgusted in a violent old player breakign the jaw of one of our teenage players, have I not.

I also hae the right to the opinion that Brogan is a blight on the game that the AFl wants to showcase. What is that animal doing playing AFL and doing such reprehensible acts?

You may slavishly fall at the tribunals feet and say "he got three weeks". Well to me it shows a lack of integrity to maim a teenager.

The guy should be charged and put in front of a court for this latest violent act. Thats my opinion and I am sure I am not alone.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:Love lenny

@afltribunal
"After the game, Lenny Hayes asked Brogan if he'd "hit one of our young blokes behind play". Brogan then apologised to Newnes after this."
Apologised to Newnes, who was eating his dinner through a straw.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Deserved more....

Broke his jaw with his forearm..... Constituting a strike.

Newnes initiated contact with a block/check as players are instructed to do throughout the midfield..... That doesn't mean Brogan can whack him high with a forearm and with such force he cannot continue, and misses weeks.
So what you are saying is that in your opinion it was reckless not negligent?

If that was how the tribunal read it then Bogan would've copped 4 weeks not 3.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
paddy wrote:Love lenny

@afltribunal
"After the game, Lenny Hayes asked Brogan if he'd "hit one of our young blokes behind play". Brogan then apologised to Newnes after this."
Apologised to Newnes, who was eating his dinner through a straw.
The animal is always big on apologies once he has inflicted damage. I am sure the neanderthal apologised to the fan and the bloke in the park for violently assaulting them as well. :roll: :roll:

3 weeks. GWS should retire this ape immediately.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[JB you like pointing out things that were not said. Where did I say he deserved a broken jaw. When Newnes initiated the contact Brogan obviously did something like stick out an elbow and that then broke his jaw. The tribunal heard all the evidence and found it was negligent contact. And how the hell am I defending the guy. Stop making things up. I take it you thought Plugger and Big carl were criminals as well?
Cant remember either being brought up on charges of assaulting people in parks and airports.

And I though both were thugs on the field. But if you think 2013 AFL is the same as 1960 VFL or 1990s AFL you are deluded.

A thug breaks a kids jaw and you want to argue that its somehow OK because the tribunal gave him three weeks.

What would you get on the street for breaking someones jaw? What did Matthews get for breaking Bruns jaw?

IMO the AFl made a statement about dirty play in getting rid of Baker. I am applying the Baker rule to this neanderthal who has a long form sheet for violent behaviour.

I have a right to be disgusted in a violent old player breakign the jaw of one of our teenage players, have I not.

I also hae the right to the opinion that Brogan is a blight on the game that the AFl wants to showcase. What is that animal doing playing AFL and doing such reprehensible acts?

You may slavishly fall at the tribunals feet and say "he got three weeks". Well to me it shows a lack of integrity to maim a teenager.

The guy should be charged and put in front of a court for this latest violent act. Thats my opinion and I am sure I am not alone.

Im positive many will agree with you on this site. I will be interested in what they say on SEN tomorrow. That gives a good guide IMO. And who said you didnt have a right to an opinion? I didnt even say your opinion was incorrect.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-16/brogan-guilty
The jury, however, found the forceful contact was caused by circumstances within Brogan's control.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Im positive many will agree with you on this site. I will be interested in what they say on SEN tomorrow.

SEN will say whatever the AFL tell them to. They will also dump listeners who disagree with that party line. I have heard them do that constantly.

Fine does it when someone complains about the umpires.

Have your say all day every day - lol

Lance or James??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Im positive many will agree with you on this site. I will be interested in what they say on SEN tomorrow.

SEN will say whatever the AFL tell them to. They will also dump listeners who disagree with that party line. I have heard them do that constantly.

Fine does it when someone complains about the umpires.

Have your say all day every day - lol

You have to be joking. Even KB constantly has a go at the AFL about tribunal decisions and Smith never holds back. KB was disgusted when Thomas got off last week. And Im pretty sure Finey does it with the umpires because he now umpires regularly and understand the game more because of it. Pretty sure it isnt an order.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: You have to be joking. Even KB constantly has a go at the AFL about tribunal decisions and Smith never holds back. KB was disgusted when Thomas got off last week. And Im pretty sure Finey does it with the umpires because he now umpires regularly and understand the game more because of it. Pretty sure it isnt an order.
You pretty sure are you. Have you spoken to Grant Thomas? AFl ordered SEN to get rid of him and threatened them with the broadcast rights.

SEN will do whatever the AFL tell them to.

But nice defence of the AFL as usual.

Lance or James??

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote: <snip>
What did Matthews get for breaking Bruns jaw?

Mathews comparison not even on the same planet
and if you want to apply rules try the collingwood rule

Our ruckman (lets say Kosi) running off in a direct line not deviating his line
Collingwood player (Newnes) alters his course takes a couple of quick bracing short steps into Kosi
the collingwood rule always levels things out

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: You have to be joking. Even KB constantly has a go at the AFL about tribunal decisions and Smith never holds back. KB was disgusted when Thomas got off last week. And Im pretty sure Finey does it with the umpires because he now umpires regularly and understand the game more because of it. Pretty sure it isnt an order.
You pretty sure are you. Have you spoken to Grant Thomas? AFl ordered SEN to get rid of him and threatened them with the broadcast rights.

How am I defending the AFL by stating facts that the presenters on SEN have a go at the AFL constantly. I listen every day and hear it. i take it you listen every day as well. We must hear different things. Have no idea about GT. Is that fact like me hearing the presenters. I am just telling you what i hear. If they dont like the Brogan thing they will say.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Spot on. And channel 7 are a very compliant station also, otherwise Gilligan would have very stern words to his brother Hamish!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Mathews comparison not even on the same planet
and if you want to apply rules try the collingwood rule

Our ruckman (lets say Kosi) running off in a direct line not deviating his line
Collingwood player (Newnes) alters his course takes a couple of quick bracing short steps into Kosi
the collingwood rule always levels things out

So what you are saying is because Newnes made the initial contact, Brogan had the right to smash his face in with his forearm?

Yeah OK. :roll:

Lance or James??

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the grainy vision here
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-04-16/ ... orkstation

after the hird stuff

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

joffaboy wrote: So what you are saying is because Newnes made the initial contact, Brogan had the right to smash his face in with his forearm?

Yeah OK. :roll:
no I am saying
if brogan was kosi & newnes was collingwood player everyone here would be saying he got whats coming
I would have thought the collingwood rule is pretty self explanatory for most

Seeya
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Why do you keep referring to Newnes as a kid or a teenager Joffa? They are playing senior footy - everyone is equal out on the field. You are like a journalist with your emotive language. Who cares what Brogan has done off the field. It's irrelevant to this set of circumstances. Why Newnes would be trying to check someone running off the ground appears ridiculous? Did he deserve to have his jaw broken? Off course not. Brogan will miss 3 weeks and Newnes will learn a valuable lesson about senior footy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

St kilda capt Lenny Hayes.......lol

Get it right.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Matt Thompson says that Bogan is unlucky..AFL flunky. He had his jaw broken you idiot by Bogan's raised arm.

The AFL should let clubs have their own websites and should top trying to be a media outlet. It's laughable.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 16 Apr 2013 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Why do you keep referring to Newnes as a kid or a teenager Joffa? They are playing senior footy - everyone is equal out on the field. You are like a journalist with your emotive language. Who cares what Brogan has done off the field. It's irrelevant to this set of circumstances. Why Newnes would be trying to check someone running off the ground appears ridiculous? Did he deserve to have his jaw broken? Off course not. Brogan will miss 3 weeks and Newnes will learn a valuable lesson about senior footy.
What's the lesson? That you can bust someones face with a raised arm/elbow and get 3 weeks and deemed to be unlucky?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Matt Thompson says that Bogan is unlucky..AFL flunky. He had his jaw broken you idiot by Bogan's raised arm.

The AFL should let clubs have their own websites and should top trying to be a media outlet. It's laughable.

Isnt Matt Thompson going against the AFL by saying Brogan was unlucky. Surely if he was going to go with the AFL he would have said it was the right decision.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Moods wrote:Why do you keep referring to Newnes as a kid or a teenager Joffa? They are playing senior footy - everyone is equal out on the field. You are like a journalist with your emotive language. Who cares what Brogan has done off the field. It's irrelevant to this set of circumstances. Why Newnes would be trying to check someone running off the ground appears ridiculous? Did he deserve to have his jaw broken? Off course not. Brogan will miss 3 weeks and Newnes will learn a valuable lesson about senior footy.
What's the lesson? That you can bust someones face with a raised arm/elbow and get 3 weeks and deemed to be unlucky?

The lesson is when playing senior footy, don't pick the biggest bloke on the field to try and block for no apparent reason. FFS I can hear the outrage now if the roles were reversed and say Daisy Thomas ran into McEvoy deliberately and came off second best. Harsh reality. Brogan copped his whack. It wasn't a king hit, it wasn't even close to a king hit. Could easily be argued that he was taken by surprise by the contact (afterall, the ball was no where in the vicinity) and he put his forearm up to defend the contact. There was nothing to suggest that his intention was to harm Newnes. I actually reckon it was dumb football by Newnes, and will be something he will learn from. And Brogan copped a 3 week penalty. I fail to see what the whining is about. I say we save our whinging for the umpires or the unfair draw.....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Matt Thompson says that Bogan is unlucky..AFL flunky. He had his jaw broken you idiot by Bogan's raised arm.

Isnt Matt Thompson going against the AFL by saying Brogan was unlucky. Surely if he was going to go with the AFL he would have said it was the right decision.
I get your point but because he should have got more, he's going the other way and downplaying the incident.

Anyway, it's a stupid thing to say that he was unlucky.