Umpiring like a Grand Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring like a Grand Final

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We do on every news paper, on every web site and any other type of media. we scrutinise decisions to an inch of their life. Look at Harry O'Brien yesterday. They also have something on the AFL website explaining correct and incorrect decisions. Im pretty sure we cant go through 350 decisions a week to say if they are right or wrong. Or should we only do our decisions?
The analysis is never directed to a string of decisions or performances by one umpire in particular. It is on a very controversial free kick paid (rarely on one missed).
In our game against the Tigers, there should have been a fairly detailed analysis performed of those decisions.
I'd like to see stats come out from the umpiring department showing a breakdown for each umpire showing free kicks paid to each team, free kicks missed for each team...then broken down by each player.
I'm sure the players (e.g. Milne) would like to know why he gives away a lot of frees but rarely gets them paid the other way. To show that this is not just a St Kilda thing you can throw Jake King into the that mix.

Well I reckon the umpires get everything you said. The only reason we get the stats on players is because people are interested otherwise we wouldnt get them either. And its only champion datas opinion on what is a good and bad kick. They could easily do the same if people wanted that information. I could bet the clubs would never give out their information if it was different to champion data.

And Im sure if we a professional club then we would ask the umpiring department why Milne for example gives away a lot of frees.

And I take it you have been involved in local footy which is where we get our umpires from. less and less people want to do umpiring because of the scrutiny they get in the AFL. If you dont beleive me ring Benny Goodman in the Ammos and he will tell you the same thing and that is the biggest comp in Australia.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

My main concern is why the St.Kilda players are being so badly free kicked compared to their opposition.

We need to get reps from the umpires down to training and discuss how we can improve.

Is it technique? is it something else? Are we just having a poor run with rub of the green?

Seems the umpires were pro-active in help Saad with his goal kicking technique to fit into the 30 seconds.

We need to be pro active and get help from the umpires to even up the count.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote: You do realise they have a coach and are dropped if they make a lot of wrong decisions.
So I imagine the umpires that officiated the Saints v Tigers game were dropped then??

Not necessarily. it may have only been one umpire and also may have been the best umpire in all the practice and proper games played this year. We didnt drop Milne even though he was really struggling.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bad call get made .. often both ways aafter all the rules is all about interpretation .. the thing im finding disapointing by the umpires so far this year is the basic skills - how many dodgy bounces have to be called back how many shallow throw-ins , how many late whisles ? i dont have the stats but i cant remeber seeing more of these things then i have seen this year ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:bad call get made .. often both ways aafter all the rules is all about interpretation .. the thing im finding disapointing by the umpires so far this year is the basic skills - how many dodgy bounces have to be called back how many shallow throw-ins , how many late whisles ? i dont have the stats but i cant remeber seeing more of these things then i have seen this year ...

My guess is because less and less people want to umpire. They are trying to get retired footballers to do it because there is less quality around in lower leagues. Well certainly in the Ammos which is the biggest competition in Australia.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

point taken Pluggs but then should the AFL not be working on making the job easier for the lower quallity umps not installing more grey areas in regards to what is and isnt a free kick ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:point taken Pluggs but then should the AFL not be working on making the job easier for the lower quallity umps not installing more grey areas in regards to what is and isnt a free kick ?

I have umpired now on and off for about 25 years and i can honestly say i dont find it any harder than it has been admittedly in a very low grade and also the seconds of that low grade but we still have the same rules as the AFL bar a couple which are practical.

I have no idea how hard it is to umpire in the AFL though.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:My guess is because less and less people want to umpire. They are trying to get retired footballers to do it because there is less quality around in lower leagues. Well certainly in the Ammos which is the biggest competition in Australia.
Getting ex-footballers is a great idea.
That model works really well in cricket.

For that to really work, though, the bounce needs to be eliminated completely from the game. Most ex-players really struggle with the height of the bounce.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Umpiring this week plugs?
Ill be shouting over the fence supporting my team mates. Then playing the following game!

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Siposstar#2 wrote:Umpiring this week plugs?
Ill be shouting over the fence supporting my team mates. Then playing the following game!

No not this week but you will know the umpire. Mark Fine has the job this week. i will be either runner or up at the life members luncheon. Id wish you luck in the main game but I reckon we may be in a fight with you for relegation. You guys must have been poor last week.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Siposstar#2 wrote:Umpiring this week plugs?

No not this week but you will know the umpire. Mark Fine has the job this week. i will be either runner or up at the life members luncheon. Id wish you luck in the main game but I reckon we may be in a fight with you for relegation. You guys must have been poor last week.

We were doing okay up till the last quarter. Ran out of legs.
They kicked like 12 goals in the last

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:My main concern is why the St.Kilda players are being so badly free kicked compared to their opposition.

We need to get reps from the umpires down to training and discuss how we can improve.

Is it technique? is it something else? Are we just having a poor run with rub of the green?

Seems the umpires were pro-active in help Saad with his goal kicking technique to fit into the 30 seconds.

We need to be pro active and get help from the umpires to even up the count.
Regardless of the why this is exactly what the club needs to do.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "