GWS why?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS why?

over 500 k.
lol@ backward looking.

but , whatever ya reckon.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Have traditional AFL followers got the NRL bug from the

Melbourne storm would have converted very few (if any) AFL supporters... And the are the most successful club in the last decade in the NRL.

How has it improved AFL at this point
Embarrassing scorelines
Teams getting the advantage of 2 bonus percentage boosting wins (kangaroos were beneficiaries last season) kids playing games too early and having one or two wins in their first 40. The talent pool being watered down. Ridiculous draft concessions that make little sense. Two rugby converts setting the world on fire, getting paid more than Lenny Hayes. Clubs losing greats??
At this point they have been a joke

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joffa

Re read what you just wrote about Tasmania.... It's actually offensive and makes you sound like

A backwater that delivered this clubs only success....

The AFL doesn't have a duty to supporters.... Supporters are the game... Without supporters, no nothing...

Have you ever lived outside of Melbourne.... Or are you insular??
Having lived in Tasmania, Victoria, NSW, and WA

I watched a few games at Skoda.... Absolutely mind blowing the support they've drummed up?! And with all this success, more will come....

Understand why Blacktown residents couldn't give a f### about this team..... They are playing the wrong code.
No amount of money or propping up or cheating to give them success will change the masses generational culture of support to Rugby League, Rugby Union, Soccer...

And seriously man

Are you comparing Tasmania's footy culture to that of Basketball?! Which is a struggle anywhere in Aus??
How about comparing it to cricket??

That's right
3 shields, couple of one day wins in the last ten years.... Two of the last 3 Aus Captains.....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffa

Re read what you just wrote about Tasmania.... It's actually offensive and makes you sound like

A backwater that delivered this clubs only success....

The AFL doesn't have a duty to supporters.... Supporters are the game... Without supporters, no nothing...

Have you ever lived outside of Melbourne.... Or are you insular??
Having lived in Tasmania, Victoria, NSW, and WA

And seriously man

Are you comparing Tasmania's footy culture to that of Basketball?! Which is a struggle anywhere in Aus??
How about comparing it to cricket??

That's right
3 shields, couple of one day wins in the last ten years.... Two of the last 3 Aus Captains.....
And how many turn up to the test match every year ?
That's the problem there's no one there.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cricket will survive and prosper.

Don't like T20 but some do...

There will always be cricket.... Go to a test match, and feel he history you are watching....

See Kallis, Tendulker, Cook, Clarke, Sangakkara, Steyn, Swan create more history in front of your eyes.... That will be spoken of for decades

There doesn't have to be 80 000 bogans screaming to make a sport great or corporate dollar... There has to be a culture rich in history, steeped in tradition and that breeds loyalty and significance....

Quality over quantity

Baldock of Folau

Greg T
Club Player

Eventually Gws will make inroads into that part of Sydney .Rugby crowds are pretty ordinary there anyhow.maybe if there were 10 teams there you may see a difference.Vic is always were the heart of footy will be.its in our blood our culture.
On a recent trip to Brissy,you still here and see f@$k all about afl.more interested in state of origin.
The afl needs to push harder in these places.But not at our expense.
Saints should of had more presence in tassie .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane

3 premierships

Exposure still weak!

Both new clubs are competing for a very small piece of the pie in those cities

In Melbourne
10 clubs compete for a dominant market in a sports mad city.... There is enough food to go around, just!

In Sydney... 2 clubs will be competing for a niche market and struggle to foster support.
In that City, AFL sits a distant 3rd (perhaps 4th) in the pecking order..... Many people hate the game, and despise the fact it's invading their territory. Kick and giggle... Ariel ping pong.... Gay FL...

If we plonked another super12 team in Melbourne.... Would that automatically mean it would start to garner more support??

If the teams were half competitive.... Maybe they'd gather some sort of following.... Kevin can spin in Melbourne
No one in Sydney would even know his achievements... Only Swans fans....

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Brisbane

3 premierships

Exposure still weak!

Both new clubs are competing for a very small piece of the pie in those cities

In Melbourne
10 clubs compete for a dominant market in a sports mad city.... There is enough food to go around, just!

In Sydney... 2 clubs will be competing for a niche market and struggle to foster support.
In that City, AFL sits a distant 3rd (perhaps 4th) in the pecking order..... Many people hate the game, and despise the fact it's invading their territory. Kick and giggle... Ariel ping pong.... Gay FL...

If we plonked another super12 team in Melbourne.... Would that automatically mean it would start to garner more support??

If the teams were half competitive.... Maybe they'd gather some sort of following.... Kevin can spin in Melbourne
No one in Sydney would even know his achievements... Only Swans fans....
Brisbanes exposure is huge in Queensland. And I don't agree with you on the Storm either. NRL is supported well by Melbournians these days compared to 10 and 20 years ago. The membership base is reasonable and the games premier product, the State of Origin, is well recognised and watched in Victoria these days. Sydney loves its sport and are nearly up there with Melbournians when it comes to watching and participating and they have the all important population to support many different types and NRL supporters and Sydney siders in general have adopted the Swans these days as have Queenslanders have adopted the Lions...some premierships will do that.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Just hearing about Sydney's recent 'record breaking' membership tally of 30,000, this is a club that has had exclusive access to a population of what 4,000,000 people? For decades now, won the premiership, 2nd in 10 years, absolutely flying.

On the other hand we are supposedly battling, with 32,000 members, this is after a catastrophic start to the season and a grim short term future, in a city where 10 clubs are fighting it out for support.

If Sydney aren't as big as the smallest victorian clubs, why are we funding the launch of a new one up there? 10 flags on a row & they're still not going to have 30,000 members.

Gold Coast I can understand, as they have always played AFL there, but western Sydney? I get the theory, but really if Sydney don't have 50,000+ members at this point, then what hope does the next side have? How much has it cost the rest of the clubs already?

i don't think sheeds gets it with canberra though...

...in the local rag yesterday sheeds was praising the locals for getting behind gws.....11,000 odd ventured to the game.....in my estimation..about 1/3 to 1/2 wore no colours with about 60% of the rest in the good old red white and black.....most of the people in canberra who follow the afl would already have a team with a great many being swans supporters.....if you lived in canberra why would you support a new sydney team ffs.....? :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Do you people honestly think the AFL didn't stratagise, plan and analyse the expansion of GWS and GC.
I guess this is what I am asking about, I don't doubt that there is a strong strategy behind the plan, I'm just interested in how it looks, when are they expecting to see GWS standing on it's own feet, how much money will go into this venture before the league sees a return…
joffaboy wrote:Heard it all before from inward looking supporters…
So you think we should all just cheer along as the league rolls out these clubs, because the comp will be so much stronger when we are all dead? "Hooray for the Giants" I say
The AFL throw around the term 'integrity of the comp' a lot…
A sport that ensures the success of any team (for whatever reason), is a competition lacking integrity.
We have a board that can find $250,000,000 to pump into 2 new teams, but refuses to get involved in negotiating a stadium deal that wont lose money for 3 of the poorest clubs.

Sorry if I can't get excited about the future potential of AFL in 100 years, meanwhile watching new clubs with no fans dominate for years. We might as well start teams in India & China now too… massive market there, probably just as many people interested in the game too. Might take 500 years, but think of the possibilities.

Furphy
Club Player

I always thought we should have a Tassie team...

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:The success of the Western Sydney Wanderers in the A League has killed off GWS almost before they have started. Ironically WSW came about because the A League bit the bullet and got rid of the Gold Coast. The AFL will be too stupid to deal with reality and will no doubt bend over backwards to hand them a Premiership on a platter. Don't think that will even work, they should end up in Canberra full time.

Can you explain why a summer sport effects the footy? Im amazed footy has survived with cricket going on. And the soccer didnt get rid of the GC. GC got rid of the GC.
Because WSW have won hearts and minds, you need passion to build a solid base of support. WSW have stolen that from GWS.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:The success of the Western Sydney Wanderers in the A League has killed off GWS almost before they have started. Ironically WSW came about because the A League bit the bullet and got rid of the Gold Coast. The AFL will be too stupid to deal with reality and will no doubt bend over backwards to hand them a Premiership on a platter. Don't think that will even work, they should end up in Canberra full time.

Can you explain why a summer sport effects the footy? Im amazed footy has survived with cricket going on. And the soccer didnt get rid of the GC. GC got rid of the GC.
Because WSW have won hearts and minds, you need passion to build a solid base of support. WSW have stolen that from GWS.

Im pretty sure there are soccer people who are passionate about the NRL as well. they are played at different times and there is no rule that you must have passion for only one sport. I have huge passion for footy, Golf and Cricket.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I have huge passion for footy, Golf and Cricket.
I've never understood anyone being passionate about golf, or any individual sport for that matter. They're playing for themselves, they just happen to be Australian. No idea why we celebrate as a country when Hewitt or Scott win tournaments.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I have huge passion for footy, Golf and Cricket.
I've never understood anyone being passionate about golf, or any individual sport for that matter. They're playing for themselves, they just happen to be Australian. No idea why we celebrate as a country when Hewitt or Scott win tournaments.

Yes they do play for themselves most of the time but the image of Scott yelling out come on aussie after holing that putt today will always be in my mind. So will all of Normans triumphs and failures. i just love the game. many dont.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:So you think we should all just cheer along as the league rolls out these clubs, because the comp will be so much stronger when we are all dead? "Hooray for the Giants" I say
No not at all dragit. I am a Saints fan and I see how we are disadvantaged. I understand the traditional supporter will feel peeved. Supported their team their whole lives waiting for that one premiership and along comes the AFL skewing the process to make it even harder.

I am playing devils advocate, and looking at the issue from the AFL PoV. The have a duty to the current clubs, yes indeed. But they also have a duty to the future and in their opinion this is the strategic direction to consolidate the current AFL success and expand it so it will survive.
dragit wrote:The AFL throw around the term 'integrity of the comp' a lot…
A sport that ensures the success of any team (for whatever reason), is a competition lacking integrity.
We have a board that can find $250,000,000 to pump into 2 new teams, but refuses to get involved in negotiating a stadium deal that wont lose money for 3 of the poorest clubs.
Well you can look at it from that perspective, however how long is the $250 mill spend over? And AFAIK the AFL is negotiating to buy the Docklands earlier, while at the same time giving the tenant clubs equalisation handouts (deserved I might add as those three clubs are integral to the 1.2 billion broadcast rights).
dragit wrote:Sorry if I can't get excited about the future potential of AFL in 100 years, meanwhile watching new clubs with no fans dominate for years.
I understand, remember I am an avid Saints fan, however CG or GWS haven't dominated and may not ever dominate. Lets bemoan that when it happens.
dragit wrote: We might as well start teams in India & China now too… massive market there, probably just as many people interested in the game too. Might take 500 years, but think of the possibilities.
Now that is just a silly statement. AFL is a provincial game supported by about 9 million of the 22 million in the country. The AFL has to consolidate its supporter base in the traditional non football areas for it to be relevant in the medium term.

Rusted on places like Tasmania will support AFL no matter what. it is vital for AFL to make inroads in the untapped Northern populations.

I dont like it either but it is a fact of life.

And gaz, I didn't say tasmania was backward, I said it would be a backward step by the AFL. Tasmania is a favourite holiday place of mine. have worked in Tassie, and absolutely love both Launny and Hobart.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
asiu
Saintsational Legend

what you said was ...'Tasmania is backward looking.'

.. just now as i reread it (to confirm)
i realise that you were saying that in relationship to the afl's approach to expanding and consolidating its national position.
.. and i will admit that last night in the heat of the read i thought u were havn a go at us.
:)

and btw , its currently 512k doubled headed bumpkins ,
not 350 k.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So because Tasmanians already support AFL we don't need them.....

Nice

Just like when StK got what they wanted out of Tassie, and then flicked them the bird.... Wonderful attitude...

Joffa
Didn't you call Tasmania a backwater? That the AFL has no duty to fans from there??

Are you backing away from those comments.... If not explain how the AFL has no duty to loyal fans? Isn't that their core business??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So because Tasmanians already support AFL we don't need them.....

Nice
That may be your take on what has been said. Wouldn't say they aren't needed. Look at the great players that have come and continue to come from Tassie.

Does that mean they deserve an AFL team? That is up for debate
BigMart wrote:Joffa
Didn't you call Tasmania a backwater? That the AFL has no duty to fans from there??
I better put that "backwater" statement in the context I meant. In terms of AFL football in relation to the other codes and the relative popularity, Australia as a whole is a backwater. The AFL has to exist in this small backwater with limited scope for expansion. 13+ million of this small population is virtually untapped.

So in that context Tassie is an AFL backwater that cannot expand its popularity the way the northern states can.

Also didn't mean the AFL has no duty to the fans there. They play quite a few AFL games there, as they do in Canberra and now, for the first time New Zealand.

They are being catered for. Maybe not in the way you would like but games are being played in regionals for AFL points more now than ever.
BigMart wrote:Are you backing away from those comments.... If not explain how the AFL has no duty to loyal fans? Isn't that their core business??
I said they have no duty to individual CLUBS or their supporters but a duty to the game as a whole. The whole point was that tasmania dioesn't automatically deserve an AFL team. 3/4 million people in the West of Melbourne. Wyndham fastest growing region in AUSTRALIA. Why does Tasmania deserve a team before them?
Dont back away from anything. Cant help it if you dont understand the nuances of the issue.
Last edited by joffaboy on Mon 15 Apr 2013 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Nice

Just like when StK got what they wanted out of Tassie, and then flicked them the bird.... Wonderful attitude...

Joffa

Are you backing away from those comments.... If not explain how the AFL has no duty to loyal fans? Isn't that their core business??
Hey don't take this the wrong BM but you come accross as a fairly tightly wound up clock and an easy target for some. How do you go on the footy field? Do you get sucked in a bit?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Nice

Joffa

Hey don't take this the wrong BM but you come accross as a fairly tightly wound up clock and an easy target for some. How do you go on the footy field? Do you get sucked in a bit?

Dont ask him that. we will get a list of where he has played and basically his whole career and what type of player he was. If you could be bothered looking there are many posts on his career.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Nice

Joffa

Well I disageree with his premis. he has shown over the year that anyone disagreeing with him gets on hism goat.

Even to the extent of making things up as per the above post. Seems he doesn't like his authority on all things challenged.

Oh well... I tend to think that the hard heads at the AFL would have business acumen that has already proven to be effective in taking a broke VFL in the late 80's to the richest, best run football code in Australia.

they would like to maintain that position and you dont do that by standing still or looking in the rear vision mirror at scenarios that will never grow your brand or product (the game of AFL football in this case).

Lance or James??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can be a touch aggressive.... Done somethings I am not proud of, and would like to take back. Mellowed a lot playing supers and enjoy the game more, instead of a pure focus on winning. But the will to compete is still alive.... Even at 39.

But one thing I do fire up about is people bagging my home state.... Even though I haven't lived there since I was 16. I love Tassie and am a proud Tasmanian.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Nice

Joffa

Well I disageree with his premis. he has shown over the year that anyone disagreeing with him gets on hism goat.

Even to the extent of making things up as per the above post. Seems he doesn't like his authority on all things challenged.

Oh well... I tend to think that the hard heads at the AFL would have business acumen that has already proven to be effective in taking a broke VFL in the late 80's to the richest, best run football code in Australia.

they would like to maintain that position and you dont do that by standing still or looking in the rear vision mirror at scenarios that will never grow your brand or product (the game of AFL football in this case).
This is so True JB. One piece of advice that is always given by the experts is you have to continually develop new products or services or modify or re-package existing ones if you want to grow which I've come to learn means "survive" in the capatilist vocab. Go capitlism! 3 Toilets for every house!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Nice

Joffa

Nope not their core business.