Jimmy Webster debut?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Webster debut?

Should Jimmy Webster replace Newnes this week?

I say yes. Seems to have improved significantly over summer (had a hammy to manage last year).
19yo. 188cm.
Worthy of a debut IMHO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jimmy Webster debut?

No he should not IMO.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No he should not IMO.
Harsh! What did he do wrong?
He has done as much as Newnes had done when he debuted last year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:No he should not IMO.
Harsh! What did he do wrong?
He has done as much as Newnes had done when he debuted last year.

He has done nothing wrong? I dont think he is ahead of others at the moment. No gifting please. In the best next week and a spot opens up then a chance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not gifting. Just seems an opportunity has come up with a concussion and he stepped up and put his hand up for it today. As it should be. Sometimes you get luckier than others. Just seems like he is in the right place at the right time.

FQF
SS Life Member

For those who don't know much about him
What type of player is he? What are his attributes? Does he resemble any current AFL player?

noob
Club Player

FQF wrote:For those who don't know much about him
What type of player is he? What are his attributes? Does he resemble any current AFL player?
I've been wondering the same thing. Some people say his got good skills but is that St.Kilda skills or AFL skills?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He tallish and skinny- but not KPP height or weight a bit tall for a mid? Maybe a young Goddard build, haven't watched any Sandy games yet this year so don't know what he is playing as but probably a winger or utility.

A crazy old man in Tassie told me he is a gun and will be the best player to come from Tassie. No pressure there but I have been pretty patient waiting to see if he's right. might be time to just play the next Doc and carry us to the promised land again.

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

From the odd brief NAB Cup glimpse looked a bit off the pace, but a classically-built winger. Lovely left peg.

saint6
Club Player

Had shin splints when drafted last year and took a long time to get them right. Must be close to being named in the senior side as he has consistently been playing well for sandringham. Would love to see him make his debut but not sure that a game against the big bodies of essendon is the best time.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:Had shin splints when drafted last year and took a long time to get them right. Must be close to being named in the senior side as he has consistently been playing well for sandringham. Would love to see him make his debut but not sure that a game against the big bodies of essendon is the best time.
Shin spints is not something I heard much about until Simpkin came along.

It sounds painful.

Hope Jimmy gets to play soon, it would be worth it just to see him give a big grin if we won.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Webster certainly has made excellent progress in a short period of time, but I think he needs to produce on a consistent basis before he can push for a senior spot .. but very nice to read he featured in the best over the weekend. I have only ever seen him play once and based on what i saw, I didnt think he would make it - so for me as a supporter, he could turn out to be a find that I hadnt counted on.

Also good to see Seb Ross rack up the possessions. Looks like he is starting to find lots of it at VFL level which is encouraging. The only negative appears to be Hickey. Had hoped he would dominate at VFL level but that doesnt look like its happening.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Saints94
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:Webster certainly has made excellent progress in a short period of time, but I think he needs to produce on a consistent basis before he can push for a senior spot .. but very nice to read he featured in the best over the weekend. I have only ever seen him play once and based on what i saw, I didnt think he would make it - so for me as a supporter, he could turn out to be a find that I hadnt counted on.

Also good to see Seb Ross rack up the possessions. Looks like he is starting to find lots of it at VFL level which is encouraging. The only negative appears to be Hickey. Had hoped he would dominate at VFL level but that doesnt look like its happening.
+1.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Webster certainly has made excellent progress in a short period of time, but I think he needs to produce on a consistent basis before he can push for a senior spot .. but very nice to read he featured in the best over the weekend. I have only ever seen him play once and based on what i saw, I didnt think he would make it - so for me as a supporter, he could turn out to be a find that I hadnt counted on.

The report says Hickey clearly won the hitouts…

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Webster was injured or nursing injury nearly all of last year so shouldnt be judged on 2012.
Could be a real smoky.

savatage
SS Life Member

Webster had been injured for the majority of the past 3 seasons - he's taken a long time to get on top of his injury problems. I think he'd be lucky to have played 30 games in the previous 3 seasons - he was always regarded as having the talent but just could not get continuity. Looks like he is developing decently this year. Certainly has beautiful kicking skills.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It's good that he is starting to show a bit but he should be behind Ledger, Curren, Ross and Dunell in the pecking order.

savatage
SS Life Member

Should be, but I personally think he's ahead of Ross in the pecking order.

Saints94
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:Webster had been injured for the majority of the past 3 seasons - he's taken a long time to get on top of his injury problems. I think he'd be lucky to have played 30 games in the previous 3 seasons - he was always regarded as having the talent but just could not get continuity. Looks like he is developing decently this year. Certainly has beautiful kicking skills.
I seen St Kilda Thunda quoted Simon McPhee saying "Webster is the best kick at the club"...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If hes on fire then get him in the sr side.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:It's good that he is starting to show a bit but he should be behind Ledger, Curren, Ross and Dunell in the pecking order.

Why should he be?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
savatage
SS Life Member

Saints94 wrote:
savatage wrote:Webster had been injured for the majority of the past 3 seasons - he's taken a long time to get on top of his injury problems. I think he'd be lucky to have played 30 games in the previous 3 seasons - he was always regarded as having the talent but just could not get continuity. Looks like he is developing decently this year. Certainly has beautiful kicking skills.
I seen St Kilda Thunda quoted Simon McPhee saying "Webster is the best kick at the club"...
No surprises here!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If hes on fire then get him in the sr side.

A weeks enough is it Con. What about players ahead of him. he just goes ahead of them and if he doesnt play well in the seconds this week you will have another you want to promote.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Beekay
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:If hes on fire then get him in the sr side.

A weeks enough is it Con. What about players ahead of him.
What constitutes being ahead of someone?

I'd imagine Ledger was ahead of Wright in general.

I know you're talking about consistent form. But if a player is to have a blinder and do all that is asked of him in order to play seniors, I saw feck the pecking order. Feck the peck.

I'd have the same attitude if we were pushing for GFs. When you get a big nibble, I think it's best to start hoisting, as apose to going after the little nibbles that have been happening all day.
Last edited by Beekay on Mon 15 Apr 2013 4:44pm, edited 2 times in total.