Tom Ledger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tom Ledger

Pretty much the forgotten man on our list.
I hate to be macabre or cruel but is his AFL dream over?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 14 Apr 2013 12:40am, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Ledger

Con Gorozidis wrote:Pretty mush the forgotten man on our list.
Is his AFL dream over?
He'll get chances this year, way too early to call - but he's got some work to do.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't that long ago when people on here were saying that Ledger and Cripps were going to be super stars. Cripps is gone and Ledger hasn't come along as we hoped.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It wasn't that long ago when people on here were saying that Ledger and Cripps were going to be super stars. Cripps is gone and Ledger hasn't come along as we hoped.
Cripps had a stinker today.

But realistically we just signed Markworth for 2014 and Curren simply has to be ahead of Ledger. Nate Wright plays a similar brand of footy to Ledge but is better at it. So Ledge must be seriously up against it for getting his contract extended for 2014.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I still reckon Ledger is a player.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I lost $10 over the over reaction to Ledger in his first year.

Still struggling to make it at senior level now three years later.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Take out Lenny, NDS, Montagna, CJ and we are going to need some depth at the very least…

I agree he'll need to play senior games this year to stay on the list, but he should get a chance to do that, what he does then will be the deciding factor.

Butchering most of his kicks doesn't bode well for his career though.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I rated him as a good up & comer last year, but a lot more competition to get into the team now, which is a good thing.

Should get games later this year, which will be his chance to show what he can do - proof of the pudding is in the eating!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

clean up his disposal and improve his fitness and he should be OK

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
mildurasaint
Club Player

Think he has been good at the centre clearances in the small amount of time we have seen him. Would like to see more.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wright is a smooth half back flanker with run and ledge is a grunt ball winner who plays in and under footy. Not a very fair comparison IMO. More Armo style or a smaller Lenny.

westcoast
Club Player

He actually needs to be given an opportunity to show himself one way or another. In 2012 he played every NAB cup match & was selected in to play Round 1, but was replaced by Polo at the last minute. In 2013 he has only played about 20 minutes of NAB cup altogether. He has 5 preferred midfielders in front of him, so he certainly has a task to be considered alongside them.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

westcoast wrote:He actually needs to be given an opportunity to show himself one way or another. In 2012 he played every NAB cup match & was selected in to play Round 1, but was replaced by Polo at the last minute.
True dat. He ended up playing four games, rounds 2, 20, 22 and 23. Not much continuity for the kid. Give him five games in a row to perform and at least he's had a good shot.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Needs to put his hand up in the VFL and get amongst the best so Watters notices. Apparently a very ordinary game last week.

noob
Club Player

When he first got drafted I watched his under18 highlights. He was quick but his ball use was ordinary. Watching his performances last year (in vfl) his decision making at times was also below par and slow. He is/was far off it from last years input.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Saints have to delist 3 at the end of the season....If Ledger doesn't fire up soon his name might end up on the wrong side of the white board in the
list managers office....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The Saints have to delist 3 at the end of the season....If Ledger doesn't fire up soon his name might end up on the wrong side of the white board in the list managers office....
There'll be at least a couple of retirements and six or eight players are in a similar position - yeah, he's got a job ahead of him but he won't be let go lightly.

johng
Club Player

Sorry to say but a midfielder with no pace is going to be in trouble to get any games

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

johng wrote:Sorry to say but a midfielder with no pace is going to be in trouble to get any games
Are you suggesting Ledger is slow?

8856brother wrote:
johng wrote:Sorry to say but a midfielder with no pace is going to be in trouble to get any games
Are you suggesting Ledger is slow?
ledger is a worry. he has absolutely no tank. his port adelaide game in the NAB Cup was the worst i have ever seen of any player. he was literally walking in the background and was absolutely spent.

he is quick but he is one paced. he is either in a slow jog or flying and the problem is, his flying stops once he runs out of fuel. the other issue is his skills and pace are not good enough to be a jetta/milera type player that can use his pace. he doesnt have the tank to be a monty either.

i am now 75% sure he wont make it. some of it is between the ears.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think he can really play.... A natural ball winner... Is scrappy, but skills are no worse than Steven, Jones.... And he's tough as nails

I reckon he is very unpopular at StK and that he's a bit of a wanker perhaps or an individual..... But from what I've seen, he doesn't look happy..... Bit like how Beetham used to appear

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I think he can really play.... A natural ball winner... Is scrappy, but skills are no worse than Steven, Jones.... And he's tough as nails

I reckon he is very unpopular at StK and that he's a bit of a wanker perhaps or an individual..... But from what I've seen, he doesn't look happy..... Bit like how Beetham used to appear
IMO he's tough in terms of putting the head over the pill but i'm not sure he shows the same trait when having to play through injury or push through the "Wall"

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think he can really play.... A natural ball winner... Is scrappy, but skills are no worse than Steven, Jones.... And he's tough as nails

Spot on!
He has a ton of ability, but thinks he can do it all by himself. I was hoping he'd realise he's part of a team, but three years on nothing has changed.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Spot on!
He has a ton of ability, but thinks he can do it all by himself. I was hoping he'd realise he's part of a team, but three years on nothing has changed.
what a shame if do as I really rated the glimpses I saw - attack at the footy was excellent.

surely as a club we can convince him hes being a d**khead ?

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Can he back it up?

They don't have to win popularity contests, or be meek and humble.

I don't care if he's cocky and can play well, the only reason for his continued absence is that the ego is impacting negatively on his footy?