Kosi needs to come in for Maister

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Kosi needs to come in for Maister

Bring Kosi in at the expense of Saad we look better with 3 talls and leave Stanley down back !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Bring Kosi in at the expense of Saad we look better with 3 talls and leave Stanley down back !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Kosi has had it. Cant move, he's a statue. And Saad had 4 shots at goal and was ok.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Saad was poor again... Milne was worse

Two very average games from both of them...

Don't just look at the goal column to assess their games

lefty
Club Player

Maister tried and did ok, but you MUST take those marks, the simple one he dropped with Dal left for him was killing me inside.
I said during the week, he cannot play as a second tall. You need twin towers. I wouldn't play Kosi next week, I'd play Lee, but for the Essendon game, I'd play Kosi.

You need someone who can take pack marks.

Milne also will be lucky to be in the side next week.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Tom Lee for mine... get him out there

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Maister is like Jason Heatley.
Not really able to take a mark above his head.
Apart from Rooey, have we had any forwards in the last 4 years who could take a contested grab?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
battye
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Kosi 2001 yes, Kosi 2011 no!
Kosi 2013 yes! He'll have a great year :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Maister did his job how many contests did Milne, Saad or Milera win toinight !
Why can't people see the two are connected?

Kosi has a game that enhances others, it's not a coincidence.

I'm over talking about it though.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Maister did his job how many contests did Milne, Saad or Milera win toinight !

Lol.

Kosi enhances others because he rarely gets a touch and others have to make up for his deficiencies.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
cross2012
Club Player

We went in one too many smalls. We have three small forwards that get a little lost going through the midfield. Beau is a third tall at best. I think Stanley needs to fill a hole down back.
Not sure on Lee just yet. IMO If Hickey can step up, Ben could spend more time forward and he can mark and kick. Otherwise our next best option is a fit Kosi. Great mark and great kick, tackles hard. I think it compensates for lack of chase and below the feet issues.

saint6709
Club Player

I thought maister was pretty
good - presented &marked well -laid a big shepherd - let him self and the team down with a couple of simple and really important drops - kosi is gone - Blake needs to give way to youth - Stanley looks at sea in the forward line - much more competent down back - not sure why everyone keeps seeing him as the answer forward - melera could be great if he could get a bit more focused - schneider a class above - sippos hasn't yet got a tank and maybe is running hard to the wrong contests ??? Newnes has been the most disappointing for me - think he needs a spell in the vfl

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maister is an GOP at best. You know what you get with him. He is the least of our problems. The midfield is the problem. Far to slow. Jack is the only one with pace but he can butcher the ball because is trying to take players on and because the mids struggle the small forwards and then a waste of space. We need pace through the middle to help the smalls and talls in the forward line. Our back up mids also lack pace though so there is no easy answer. I tell you one thing though Kosi isnt the answer. Play Lee if he does ok tomorrow but why play Kosi. We played Blake in the last 2 games when surely Simpkin could have easily done as bad of a job as Blake.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If our midfield is slow

Why do we have a hard running basketball style transition game plan with no stoppages? We had something like 3 ball ups for the entire game last night and the same vs GC....

There is no ball control or tempo control....

And Jack butchers the ball in space, he has a flawed kicking technique.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If our midfield is slow

Why do we have a hard running basketball style transition game plan with no stoppages? We had something like 3 ball ups for the entire game last night and the same vs GC....

There is no ball control or tempo control....

And Jack butchers the ball in space, he has a flawed kicking technique.

You can keep knocking Jack all you like because I think and hope you will be proven wrong in the long run. Luckily a coach thought he was our third best player last week and I reckon they know what their jobs are in a game. I reckon you need to ask your wife if it ok to go see a game live. it is certainly different to watching a game on TV where all you see is around the ball. it can make people say a player runs like a super rules player when they 100% dont and then still refuse to say they were wrong.

There is less stoppages in the AFL this year after one round and by a fair margin. Also based on last week and if I was coach I would want less stoppages. We got smashed in the clearances last week .

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Beau was OK but he does not break open packs. Kosi would need to be showing a lot at Sandy to get the nod.
Milne and Saad need a big target to bring the ball down if they don't mark.
Moving Stanley forward is not the answer as it is quite clear that he reads the game far better in defence than he does up forward.
I think we need both Hickey and McEvoy in the side with one resting in the forward pocket.
We still need that third tall who can mark and is good on the ground as well.
The only forward we have who can mark and win the ball at ground level is Roo and we someone else.
Maybe Lee can be that third tall I have not seen enough of him to know.
The other option would be Siposs as he seems capable of playing an all round game but that does rob Peter to pay Paul.

felix
Club Player

Beau needs to wear a glove , maybe with suction pads on it .

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Beau is great foil for roo and it shows in roo's game for mine.
Lee would be more like roo and I don't think that's what we need.
Roo needs to roam and beau needs on play closer to goal.
We need a structure in the forward line not individual brilliance.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I am not one for coincidence either.

However the connection is rather that our midfield is not what it was. Tigers and Suns mids by contrast have improved.

Milne while a great crumber, has also always been a small leading forward. He thrives on good passes. Not many forthcoming in either of the last two games.

Saad in year 2 now gets more attention. Last night he got enough shots on goal. For an 18-gamer he will get better.

Kosi is not going to thrive from a midfield, now under the pump, and rushing kicks when they do get them.

Now do not get me wrong. Maister is no star and never will be. But he is solid and more rounded than Kosi.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintjake
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
spert wrote:I would rather try Lee out. The big probem is not Maister, it's the midfield etc
This.
Agreed, I would like to see Lee tried out. I don't think Lee or Maister are going to be any good as a lone Full Forward. But if we played both as well as nick, then one of them would get the third tall defender and might just be a chance to snag a few. And if Lee isn't ready then send Siposs back forward. Allow Schneider, Dal or Milera to be the get out kick from the back line

a bit like Jack Darling at the Eagles
Last edited by saintjake on Sat 06 Apr 2013 12:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lee would be worth a try with maister and Roo he is more a mid sized forward despite his height.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maister was taking plenty of overhead marks last season, plus has the mobility wich Kosi hasn't got. Who would want to be a forward at St Kilda with a midfield who spray the ball all over the place

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Kosi back in.....noooooooooooooooooooo.....
Why? He's got to be in his last year and we have a fella like Lee on the list. If a change at FF needs to be made, then get some games into Lee. Kosi is only there because he has a contract. As someone said, he's a statue. Defensive pressure = zero.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Kosi back in.....noooooooooooooooooooo.....
Why? He's got to be in his last year and we have a fella like Lee on the list. If a change at FF needs to be made, then get some games into Lee. Kosi is only there because he has a contract. As someone said, he's a statue. Defensive pressure = zero.
I thought the umpiring was poor last night, what is your opinion?

lefty
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Kosi back in.....noooooooooooooooooooo.....
Yes, but Kosi takes big marks and breaks packs. He kicks a few goals and all of a sudden theres "scoreboard pressure." There's a presence. There's a direct kick where you know he's got a good change to take a big pack mark. With Maister, I always see an attempt at a big pack mark, but I know generally that its always going to be a a spoil/ball hits the deck scenario. Its not like Jack from the tiger's, you know he'll leap and grab that overhead pack mark.

I know Maister gives it his all, runs hard, tackles and applies pressure which Kosi does none of, and tbh I really like it, but really being the #2 target, you've got to take the big grabs. Its his biggest problem. If he could fix that, he'd be the all rounder we are after.

McEvoy can do it, he did it last night. Kosi would have too. But I didn't see Maister do it once. He needs to practice one grab marks, get some soap on the balls and kick it to him up high at training.

Lee is not Kosi either, he can't play at FF.

As for Hickey, I won't rate him until I've seen him take overhead marks around the ground like Big Mac does. It takes time, but last week he nearly got falconed in the forward line. He's young, it takes time, I understand. Just don't rush him in because Kosi is old and hes young. If he's ready, play him, if he's not, give him time to get some confidence in the reserves