What I learned from tonight's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

What I learned from tonight's game

1. Gilbo is close to our best wingman. His run and carry is so valuable in a team of predominately plodders
2. Jones is the fittest bloke at the club and runs harder than anyone. He also knows how to find the ball in traffic. He is in our best 18
3. Stanley is a Defender, didn't look like getting it in the forward line and struggled in the ruck
4. Milne has hit the wall. Age has caught up with him quickly, looks slow. Hate saying this about a champion but unfortunately it happens to the best of them
5. Maister is not the answer as a key forward. Doesn't get to enough contests.
6. Schneider will never start the game as a sub again.
7. Sippa is a long way off. Needs to be left to one position so that he can develop his game
8. Newnes is going to be a good player, but his kicking needs to be worked on immediately if he is to be an A grader

Watts the Buzz
Club Player

Re: What I learned from tonight's game

Good call.....agree with all points but maybe you've gone too early on point 4 - let's not write the great man off just yet.

With regards to point 7, I get the feeling Sippa may have started believing the hype about himself being the next Goddard - whilst there is obvious talent there, he's still a million miles away from that.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

if Wilkes can't improve he'll be a dud

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
loris
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:if Wilkes can't improve he'll be a dud
He must be playing with Sandy this weekend..................... Wilkes wasn't playing against the Tigers tonight :wink: :wink: :P :P

Sainter93
Club Player

Didn't we say this at the same time last year about Milne? Then went on to kick 55+ goals. He'll be bouncing around again

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I learned McEvoy will become a v good ruckman
Weve found a tall, athletic and quick defender in Stanley
Blake is finished
Maister is a 3rd tall option at best
Jack Steven will never be elite till he loses headless chook
You cant substitute good foot skills.....Schneider has them
Robberton goes ok but needs to beat his man 1 on 1 (an area Simpkin IMO excels in)
TDL was a waste recruit
Lenny has aged
Milne back to 1 ground trick pony

How long is Harvs injured for?

“Yeah….nah””
loris
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
How long is Harvs injured for?
2 weeks :wink:

lefty
Club Player

What I learned.... Where the s*** were all the Saints Supporters tonight?

FFS the entire ground was yellow and black, it was actually a really nice and warm night, no excuses, especially first home game.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

lefty wrote:What I learned.... Where the s*** were all the Saints Supporters tonight?

FFS the entire ground was yellow and black, it was actually a really nice and warm night, no excuses, especially first home game.
Excellent point. We have a very soft supporter base. I fear for our club if we do bottom out for a few years

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

lefty wrote:What I learned.... Where the s*** were all the Saints Supporters tonight?

I live in Perth, and I couldnt take the day off to fly to Melbourne.
Will try to get over for the Bombers game if I can get an injection of funds. Lol

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It kills me but I do wonder if we have the softest group of front-running fans in this city. I'm serious. They go into hiding. We're no better than Melbourne in this regard.

People crap on about how passionate they are. Yeah, they're passionate when we're winning alright. When we're up against it, Bob and Daisy find the trip from Beaumaris 'a little bit too much'.

Our home game and we were savagely outnumbered in the stands...by a team who doesn't make the finals (ever). Spare me.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:1. Gilbo is close to our best wingman. His run and carry is so valuable in a team of predominately plodders
2. Jones is the fittest bloke at the club and runs harder than anyone. He also knows how to find the ball in traffic. He is in our best 18
3. Stanley is a Defender, didn't look like getting it in the forward line and struggled in the ruck
4. Milne has hit the wall. Age has caught up with him quickly, looks slow. Hate saying this about a champion but unfortunately it happens to the best of them
5. Maister is not the answer as a key forward. Doesn't get to enough contests.
6. Schneider will never start the game as a sub again.
7. Sippa is a long way off. Needs to be left to one position so that he can develop his game
8. Newnes is going to be a good player, but his kicking needs to be worked on immediately if he is to be an A grader
Totally agree with your first four points.

5 - Maister isn't necessarily "the answer" but he's our best bet right now.

6 - Schneider was superb. As is the case the last two years it comes down to his fitness.

7 - Totally agree. I don't think he's working well in the new role. He looks lost and gets side stepped repeatedly.

8 - Newnes is a good prospect. Everyone needs to get off his back, he is a kid and will make mistakes. I'm not sure whether he'll ever be an 'a grader' but he's definitely got talent and needs to be persisted with.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

What I learned:

1) Stanley's best position right now is as a key defender
2) Siposs isn't ready to adopt his new role. His role needs to be reviewed - possibly move back to half-forward.
3) Clint Jones is in our best 22. Best tagger, runs all day and one of our best ball winners
4) Sam Gilbert's midfield role is working. He gives us run and carry that no one else can
5) Dylan Roberton is a keeper. Showed much more steel tonight.
6) Stephen Milne has contributed zero in the first two games. Feels like the game is goin past him
7) Lenny looks like he's playing his last season.

pkerr51

evertonfc wrote:It kills me but I do wonder if we have the softest group of front-running fans in this city. I'm serious. They go into hiding. We're no better than Melbourne in this regard.

People crap on about how passionate they are. Yeah, they're passionate when we're winning alright. When we're up against it, Bob and Daisy find the trip from Beaumaris 'a little bit too much'.

Our home game and we were savagely outnumbered in the stands...by a team who doesn't make the finals (ever). Spare me.
Agree,

Such a warm and fantastic night. I was surrounded by yellow and black and the train ride home was worse

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

pkerr51 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:It kills me but I do wonder if we have the softest group of front-running fans in this city. I'm serious. They go into hiding. We're no better than Melbourne in this regard.

Agree,

Such a warm and fantastic night. I was surrounded by yellow and black and the train ride home was worse

Remember it's live on channel 7.

So the softcocks just stayed at home and watched it on telly.

Fecking princesses most of them.

Bring on 20K crowds at Etihad in 2015.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Our home game and we were savagely outnumbered in the stands...by a team who doesn't make the finals (ever). Spare me.
Supporters of a team on the way up were more likely to attend than supporters of a team on the way down? What a surprise.