Terry Milera on the mid field wing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Terry Milera on the mid field wing

I like Terry a lot for what I have seen so far... he's not solid fella and imo shy's of a tackle at times..

So, why not have him run off the mid field/wing forward to ad some entry pace for the forwards or have a ruining shot himself. I think he could do some damage there. he's quick and has decent kick.

sorry if this has been rasied before.

flame or agree away.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Terry Milera on the mid field wing

He kicked 3 goals last game so he was in the ideal position as far as i am concerned.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Bring back the bloke in your avatar I say.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he's to stay in the team he needs to apply some better defensive pressure than his last effort.

He can be clever (sometimes this comes unstuck) has neat skills and finshes....

Need him to win some footy and pressure better..

He was poor last game in some key areas

spert
Saintsational Legend

Not unlike NDS- silky skills and needs to do a lot more off the ball defensively, but 3 goals in a losing team means you earned your keep. He would probably do OK on a wing, though who knows what Watters has planned for the team- I think Scotty is trying out a lot of things at the moment to see what players can do what in different positions.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He gets around the ground already- they must give him licence to run around as he is often up the ground and will be back trying to link up like Jetta from Sydney. Watch him next week he is often up supporting the backs and then streams up when the ball moves forward. He gets criticised unfairly as he is often out on his feet. He was streaming forward from deep when he lost the ball during a bounce in the GCS game even. Some players are told not to go to ground and stand off the pack and take the dish out. No one knows what his role is so pretty hard to comment on some ones softness when you don't know.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

All player have to tackle when it's their turn?!

A couple of hesitations looked bad.

Last year he gave good fwd pressure..... Light guy like him, it's not instinctive... He will have to train himself to just ' go' when required....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:All player have to tackle when it's their turn?!

A couple of hesitations looked bad.

Last year he gave good fwd pressure..... Light guy like him, it's not instinctive... He will have to train himself to just ' go' when required....

If he did it last year wouldnt that suggest an off night like a fair few had.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Or it just meant he was hungrier last year to impress?! He needs to understand what is required in his position and not get comfortable in his spot.

Not natural defensively, will take a fair slab of time for him not to have to think about it.... The split second that Lenny doesn't take is because he doesn't need to wonder whether to 'go' or not

Fiora suffered a lot because of this (and when it was continually highlighted he lost confidence) I saw Aaron Fiora take one of the more courageous marks I've seen.... Did that come natural to him.... I would say NO because occasionally he hesitated..... he just willed himself on that occasion.... Terry will need to drive himself to do the defensive things required...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Or it just meant he was hungrier last year to impress?! He needs to understand what is required in his position and not get comfortable in his spot.

Not natural defensively, will take a fair slab of time for him not to have to think about it.... The split second that Lenny doesn't take is because he doesn't need to wonder whether to 'go' or not

Fiora suffered a lot because of this (and when it was continually highlighted he lost confidence) I saw Aaron Fiora take one of the more courageous marks I've seen.... Did that come natural to him.... I would say NO because occasionally he hesitated..... he just willed himself on that occasion.... Terry will need to drive himself to do the defensive things required...
We've played 1 game this year, he kicked a third of our goals when we didn't have a single winner on the field & you have deduced that he isn't as eager as last year. Righto.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He didn't play well....

Goals are not always a measure of performance ...... How you get them, yes.

Outside of his few kicks at goal, what else did he do which was beneficial..... And what did he do well defensively?
Game is measured by defensive acts these days.... Because they create turnovers which lead to easier scoring opportunities.... Where the score involvement began, much more impressive than who finished

And we had at least 5 clear winners..... Geary outstanding..

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Thought his game was actually quite good.

Kicked straight and did some nice things.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't outstanding, but 3 goals 2 behinds, 11 disposals, 3 tackles... In his what, his 16th game?

Milne, saad & Hyphen had one tackle between them, Clint Jones had 1.

Milera was probably our best forward with roo.

Suggesting that he is cruising and not doing the harder things this year is laughable, he would know very well that his place in the side is very precarious.

lefty
Club Player

Was an OK game, but as another said, goals doesn't really mean anything. Its the way you get them.
Apart from kicking 3, he seems hesitant to hit the pack, needs to just get tackled/hit and get use to it. Once he gets that big bump/tackle he should fire up a bit and use that adrenalin.

Milne and Saad were far worse, along with TDL.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I am not suggesting... It was clear.

A number of people noticed, if you watched harder.... You might have noticed....

Or you're just being a loyal supporter... If that's the case, ok. But accept reality.

He did not tackle a few times. Scott would have asked him a few forward questions this week... Hopefully his response was that next time when a guy is 40m out from goal I will attempt to tackle him.

BTW
Milne, Saad, TDL were worse.... Doesn't say much

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I noticed mate, Lenny missed tackles too, it was a pretty s*** night all round. I'm sure Scott will be asking for more pressure from all of our players... But I don't think Terry thinks he's on easy street this year, like you are suggesting.

The guy hasn't even got a season if games under his belt, I think he will be given some slack and encouraged on his performance with a few pointers, rather than dropped.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I noticed mate, Lenny missed tackles too, it was a pretty s*** night all round. I'm sure Scott will be asking for more pressure from all of our players... But I don't think Terry thinks he's on easy street this year, like you are suggesting.

The guy hasn't even got a season if games under his belt, I think he will be given some slack and encouraged on his performance with a few pointers, rather than dropped.

Agree.

saint-stu
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I am not suggesting... It was clear.

A number of people noticed, if you watched harder.... You might have noticed....

Or you're just being a loyal supporter... If that's the case, ok. But accept reality.

He did not tackle a few times. Scott would have asked him a few forward questions this week... Hopefully his response was that next time when a guy is 40m out from goal I will attempt to tackle him.

BTW
It was clear that he was one of our best players.

He had 3 tackles for the night. Only 4 of our players had more tackles. Our tagger only had one tackle!

It was obviously a bad night for the whole team. Maybe it was the conditions, maybe there was a virus going around, maybe they were just flat, but he wasn't anywhere near the worst player.

Interestingly, Nick Dal Santo was a top tackler with 9!

1ac46a38
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A couple of hesitations looked bad.
May be held against him. Overlook them and he had a reasonable game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I am not suggesting... It was clear.

BTW
The one obvious one I think you are referring to is when he seemed to have the option of standing back to stop the player behind him taking possession by cutting off a handpass or tackle the player in possession of the ball but seemed to freeze and just kind of stand in the way. Looked more indecisive to me. He just needs some experience to get get better at that.

defacto
Club Player

milera just needs to build on his contested and defencive side of the game.

plays of HFF for me with occassional stints through the wing/guts. putting him in the guts will help beat him into shape

PJ
SS Life Member

His goal assist passes are incredible - mercurial kick, perfect weighting of passes to advantage of his fellow forwards.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not having a dip at his ability... Big wrap for him, was impressed by him instantly. A brilliant bit of recruiting

He made a few cardinal sins last weekend.

Skill errors don't really anger coaches, they frustrate... But are forgiven..... Worked on at training.
Poor Execution with the right intent is something to improve

Effort and commitment are non negotiables....
Lack of leads to punishment.

He will take a lot... If Watters is a good coach... Which I believe he is

He will teach Terry that its not about what the team does for you, but what you do for the team.
Kicking a goal is not his objective.... Creating team goals is...

'It's amazing what a team can achieve when no one cares who gets the credit'

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

PJ wrote:His goal assist passes are incredible - mercurial kick, perfect weighting of passes to advantage of his fellow forwards.
Thats what I think as well... seeing him play a Winmar role off the wing looking into the 50 would be great... lenny armo win it and feed it out to guy like him with pace see you later defence here it comes...

I remeber that game last year where we ripped the blues apart in pace I hoped to see more of it from a guy like Terry.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Quixote wrote:Bring back the bloke in your avatar I say.
How nice would it be to have the G-Train back in the square... so glad we had him in our colors. he really helped make 04 special while we where killing with ease.

Fortius Quo Fidelius