Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt

matrix wrote:yup did all that effort
and then the f****** cherry was turned over right beside him about 20 meters away
roo still had his hands behind his head from being knackered from the chase

i wouldve been spewing
Yeah, that was an iffy free against Hickey in the throw in, from Roo's great contest.

Dixon missed it but still s***

Quixote
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:When Roo ran from outside the car park and then the length of the field in a sprint race with a bloke muuuuuuuuch younger than him and beat him to the ball I thought there you go, if ever you needed inspiration there it is. I've got to be honest as soon as I saw that I thought surely as Roo's teammate you would think you were 10 foot tall and bullet proof.

Unfortunately the bald nut on the other side produced a couple of plays that went one or two better.

For the record and to be factual how old was the young guy that Roo beat in that contest.

Very good point mate he ran the length of the field from memory to make a smother on the opposition's goal line.

Having said that, I'm still extremely worried about his capabilities in 2013 and think Watter's needs to be very smart with how we use Nick.

He is a champion of the game and one of our best, we do not need to see him have a shocking year.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me, or do we kick it to Roo's feet a lot? He seems to be reaching for his bootlaces, often when he has managed to beat his opponent to space. When coupled with the number of times he gets the ball plonked on his head, it's no wonder he gets testy with his team mates. I acknowledge he's not the player he once was, but the service he received was nothing short of terrible.

I feel for him. I too hope he's played out of the square more to extend his career, but if our disposal doesn't improve, he may as well play in row 15 in the crowd. Or, they could try painting a giant target on his chest. Come to think of that, it gives me an idea for a sponsor.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me, or do we kick it to Roo's feet a lot? He seems to be reaching for his bootlaces, often when he has managed to beat his opponent to space. When coupled with the number of times he gets the ball plonked on his head, it's no wonder he gets testy with his team mates. I acknowledge he's not the player he once was, but the service he received was nothing short of terrible.

I feel for him. I too hope he's played out of the square more to extend his career, but if our disposal doesn't improve, he may as well play in row 15 in the crowd. Or, they could try painting a giant target on his chest. Come to think of that, it gives me an idea for a sponsor.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His stats were pretty much his career average...

14kicks
9 marks
2 marks

Any CHF who got that every week would go down as a great of the game..... Because that's about what Loewey averaged

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:His stats were pretty much his career average...

14kicks
9 marks
2 marks

Any CHF who got that every week would go down as a great of the game..... Because that's about what Loewey averaged
Agreed.

If he nails that then he gets close to 50 and job sorted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rooy was Ok last week. He hasnt had a full pre season games wise and only a person without huge footy knowledge would write a champ off after game. i wouldnt write anyone off after one game. having said that I did which I shouldnt with Gamble after one game 2 years ago.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He is no longer a champion.... But still a serviceable CHF

His best is no longer physically allowed by a crumbling body, but a willing mind... And a fair amount of talent will be enough..

Gee you went out on a limb with Vegas..... After he had 6 years at Geelong. Big call there, we did give up pick 91 for him... So he was a big trade.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He is no longer a champion.... But still a serviceable CHF

His best is no longer physically allowed by a crumbling body, but a willing mind... And a fair amount of talent will be enough..

Gee you went out on a limb with Vegas..... After he had 6 years at Geelong. Big call there, we did give up pick 91 for him... So he was a big trade.

This is how you get around saying I follow your posts when it is actually pretty much even on who follows who. You dont have the courage to quote. And thanks for replying on Vegas. I actually said I shouldnt have done it if you read what I said which isnt very often going by the last few days.

And a champion is always a champion in my eyes. You can think otherwise. Last year someone said after round one he was moving like a super rules players. Some people just dont respect champions. You can call him a former champion if you like.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

He's going better than pav and brown, how do they rate now?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

He's going better than pav and brown, how do they rate now?
they're all crap.

8-)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Browny is a shell of his former self.... He knows that

Pav is still excellent.... May have even been AA last year. He has not been battered or injured like the other two.

P66 silly stuff to try and win points

My three idols
Roo will always be remembered as a Champion, and I think he is underrated... Like Harves.... But he will be remembered for the 200 games beyween 2002-2010 .... And his dizzy heights. Not for his output from 2011-2014, his thigh light years.

Harves was serviceable from 2006-2008 .... Far from champion output... Does that mean he wasn't one?

Rick Ponting was the greatest champion I saw play cricket... Should we not call him a champion at the end of his career, because in his last years he averaged 30? He was not elite in that period.

Champion over a career, does not require elite status for the entirety of a career... In fact no great athlete can lay claim to that... Unless they retired too soon or were freaks
Ali, Woods, Jordan, Tyson, Ablett, Armstrong, Schumacher, Federer, Sampras, Graf, Johns.... All two things in common
Champions of their sport and Decline

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Browny is a shell of his former self.... He knows that

Pav is still excellent.... May have even been AA last year. He has not been battered or injured like the other two.

My three idols
Roo will always be remembered as a Champion, and I think he is underrated... Like Harves.... But he will be remembered for the 200 games beyween 2002-2010 .... And his dizzy heights. Not for his output from 2011-2014, his thigh light years.

Harves was serviceable from 2006-2008 .... Far from champion output... Does that mean he wasn't one?

Rick Ponting was the greatest champion I saw play cricket... Should we not call him a champion at the end of his career, because in his last years he averaged 30? He was not elite in that period.

Champion over a career, does not require elite status for the entirety of a career... In fact no great athlete can lay claim to that... Unless they retired too soon or were freaks
Ali, Woods, Jordan, Tyson, Ablett, Armstrong, Schumacher, Federer, Sampras, Graf, Johns.... All two things in common

Try and win points. Like I said you dont read what I post. You were the one who said I followed you around. I just point out it isnt a one way street. Do you really think the way i post is a person trying to win a game 6 love, 6 love. I will answer that. No.

And as i said i still call former champions, champions. Plugger is still a champion to me. Like I said you call them former champions or ex champ or declining champ and I will call them champions.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That's hilarious, answering you own question...

Is Riewoldt still elite?

Can I answer???

Is he a Champion of the game???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:That's hilarious, answering you own question...

Is Riewoldt still elite?

Can I answer???

Is he a Champion of the game???

The funny thing with you BM is you ask a lot of questions but when asked yourself and it didnt suit your discussion you ignore. I rate that up with not quoting and for the same reason. i will answer your question though.

Rooy is not elite anymore but last year shows he is till very close. He doesnt run like a super rules player.

Yes you can answer but you have already but go ahead.

And he is certainly a champion of the game.

And i will continue to call him a champion and like i said you can address him anyway you like.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If I'm judging his current performances.... He is a serviceable CHF who is a valuable player to us.... Moves poorly, in fact he is proppy at best... That's the result of being a champion, courageous CHF for a decade.... He can't bend, change direction or jump like he once could. He is still a good straight line runner, big engine and is now smart.... He will still get a kick, even dominate patches... But if you expect elite output, it's not gonna happen.... And it's unfair to him!

His Career
In the best 20 players I've ever seen, better than champion... He will have a further honour bestowed upon him.
3rd best Saint IMO

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

I know a supers player who still runs a 15+ beep and just two years ago was a B&F in senior footy as a midfielder?? He is a phenomenal runner...

Admittedly ..... He is the exception

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Maaaaate...plugger was a star of the highest order, as was banger...I loved seeing Buckets in his heyday - I would definitely say he 'was' a champion, and Burkey was a champion...and Rooy 'was' a champion of the highest order, but I wouldn't say he 'IS' a champion just because he's still out there having a kick and those other blokes aren't

A champion is someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and is considered the difference between winning and losing. Gary jnr is a champion. We need a consistent team effort these days. It's been a while since Roo was won a game for the Saints solely from his heroic efforts and yeah sure...we used to say it...but IS he still a champion? Is he Still a match winner?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He shouldn't have to be at 30yo

Dermott, Carey, Hart.... All retired by that age

Few CHFs have dominated into their 30s

groupie1
Club Player

taz wrote:I think he may have jarred his knee about half way through the 2nd quarter.
You're right on, man, good pick up

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:He hasn't had the ideal preparation, and I was very concerned about he and Hayes having next to no game time leading into round one. Couple that with the absence of Montagna, Dempster, Fisher, Simpkin, and Schneider, then throw in the departures of Goddard and Gram, and the game was always going to be iffy.

Don't underestimate the impact of those absences and Hayes and Riewoldt being underdone.

Thing about Schneider is be has't played much for about a year... so its not like he was missing.

I think Roo needs to be taken out of bruising marking contests, so I'd like to see him as a wingman. He has good hands uncontested, good ground level skills, great lead, strong, beautiful field kick.

a F line of Maister and Mac to bring it to ground for the smalls. Roo adds some midfield depth

groupie1
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Browny is a shell of his former self.... He knows that

My three idols

Armstrong? Lance Armstrong? You must be having a f****** lend, surely? Armstrong never placed in a Tour de France, didn't win a thing for 8 years. M Jordan went out on top too, (not counting his little Washington thing when he was 48 years old... like we don't count Lockett's comeback). Schumacher never faded. Sampras and Graf didn't either... they retired very high-ranked tennis players.
Monica Seles... she faded. Jim Courier.

There were plenty of examples you could have used but you only cited a couple:

How about Brereton, Seles, Peres (Cathy Freeman's nemesis), Ronaldo, Modra, Damien Martin..., Michael Schtich is the best example of all

Plus, Harvs, i think you'll find, played some excellent footy consistently 06-08. not sure that ranks as fading.

groupie1
Club Player

BigMart wrote:His stats were pretty much his career average...

14kicks
9 marks
2 marks

What ? Why not say 14 kicks and 11 marks? How man goals did he kick?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think you'll find Harves played more than 'some' excellent footy before his slowing post 2006??

I suggest you check your facts some more

Shuey made 1 podium in his last 30 GP
All of the tennis examples you used were incorrect... They all drifted or faded or succumbed to injury

Cheating or not
Armstrong competed before he got caught and was very average

Damien Martyn was in poor form, hence his surprise retirement

PEREC retired due to injury....my point.... Body not up to it

Ronald's was no where near the player he was in his final years.... He was fat and slow

Michael Stich was never a champion of tennis.... Just a good player...

And
Riewoldt kicked 2 goals... Just below his career average

groupie1
Club Player

I suppose we disagree on facts, here, mate. I especially liked your reference to Lance Armstrong as evidence that champions tend to fade, though.