Efficiency the issue not effort

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Efficiency the issue not effort

According to Scott that is

I'll be damned if that's the case - the effort on display was friggin ordinary if you ask me

#1 Ryder fan
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Efficiency the issue not effort

MC Gusto wrote:According to Scott that is

I'll be damned if that's the case - the effort on display was friggin ordinary if you ask me
Effort and efficiency are different things.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If that was a reasonable standard of effort then we won't win a game this year. We were actually significantly more efficient with the ball than Gold Coast.

Watters does tend to blatantly lie to the media though, surely he's just avoiding negative headlines (eg Butter Boys) that can occur when an official bags the team in public.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Losing the clearance, contested ball, tackle count and spoils would indicate otherwise you'd reckon?!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Losing the clearance, contested ball, tackle count and spoils would indicate otherwise you'd reckon?!

What do they teach in that Seaford Academy...

How to find a Latte

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We were also killed on the spread.... Which is a direct indicator of effort....

Work rate was poor as a team.... Some Individuals worked.... Some didn't

Milney, Saad, Newnes in particular did not work at the level required.... Newnes still developing the physical level of his game.

There was also ability issues, with Ray, Maister, Milera, Steven, Gilbert, Blake making critical errors...

Quixote
SS Life Member

Agree with the OP. Was stunned to read that.

Too many cuddles going around for mine.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
jays
Club Player

lol

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
BigMart wrote:Losing the clearance, contested ball, tackle count and spoils would indicate otherwise you'd reckon?!

What do they teach in that Seaford Academy...

How to find a Latte
Look after the Saints Angels, as they feed he players greasy roast chook and salad for lunch due to te lack of Latte shops in Seaford!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
oh when the
Club Player

we lost to a club in its 3rd yr have won only 7 games
that just should not happen
it is typical of us and the club's lack of demand for winning football
and being happy to simply participate in AFL

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:According to Scott that is

Effort and efficiency are different things.
True, but we were poor in both.

If one cannot apply pressure against a team chockfull of very young players, when will we?

If one cannot be efficient under the pressure applied by a young and physically immature team, then how will be go against more eperienced teams.

I can understand Watters not wanting to bag the team in front of the media, but let;s not kid ourselves, despite anything Watters says that was a seriously poor team effort by any yardstick that you want to look at.

Hopefully we can turn it around in 6 days, as we were a long way short of the mark.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

As Big mart said :
Losing the clearance, contested ball, tackle count and spoils would indicate otherwise you'd reckon?!
I just hope that a few "ins" next week will make a difference, but we can't risk bringing them all back at once.

Also, I have been watching some of the Geelong/Hawthorn match - they are two very polished, seriously efficient teams, that are drilled in their approach. Unfortunately, we have a long way to go!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

oh when the wrote:we lost to a club in its 3rd yr have won only 7 games
What a load of steaming hot bullsh1t. We are the ONLY club in the competition to have a better than 50% win/loss record in the last decade. The club and the current crop of players hav given us more highs than lows in recent history. Sure we didn't win the big one in this time, but hat had nothing to do with lack of effort or a team just willing to participate.
It's one frigging game and let's reserve judgement after a few rounds, you never know GC might be 4-0 after this time and we won't look so bad

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The last post is surely not serious.

Should we be happy with that loss, because we are proud of winning games in the last decade... A mindset of a club very accepting of its performance

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We were also killed on the spread.... Which is a direct indicator of effort....

Work rate was poor as a team.... Some Individuals worked.... Some didn't
I don't know how it's possible to tell that from the TV. I certainly have trouble gauging how much off the ball running is done from 1200km away.

That said, I agree with both you and Watters. The basis for the loss was the dropped marks, missed passes, poor handballs - horrible efficiency. But Gold Coast were worse than us on that front and made up for it with effort. Our guys didn't look like they were fit enough to play a tough four quarters in the humidity.

Also, I reckon they haven't come to grips with the game plan yet. It's pretty simple: absorb opposition pressure with numbers in the backline, then break fast up the wings and bomb it into the forward line. Play on quickly most of the time, and rarely use the centre corridor. Pretty similar to the way Collingwood played when Scott was there.

So apart from the previous issues, the execution problem on Saturday night is that our bombs into the forward line were seriously ineffective, mainly because the small forwards all had shockers against a pretty solid set of small defenders (Broughton, Harbrow, Murphy, etc). The talls were doing an OK job of bringing it to ground (though a bad job of marking it) but the smalls were horrible.

I'm not convinced that bombs into the forward line is the right way to go, but that's definitely what we were doing on Saturday night, so let's hope the forwards get used to it.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The last post is surely not serious.

Should we be happy with that loss, because we are proud of winning games in the last decade... A mindset of a club very accepting of its performance

Not true...it's the mindset of that poster in that post...

There is a HUGE difference, the club most likely don't know about that posters opinion, or yours, or mine....Our opinions are inconsequential to the clubs performance......
Last edited by bobmurray on Mon 01 Apr 2013 7:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i watched one of the suns players being interviewed recently........said they used to have a couple of full time coaches with a couple more part time....now they have 9 full time coaches and their whole approach is very different and much more professional....harder bodies too.......made me a bit wary of the weekend's match....and a reason i decided not to travel to the gold coast...long way home if you lose.....which i thought was on the cards.....oh...all the coaches paid for by the afl no doubt...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's not hard to tell...

When a player has the ball.... What he has to kick to, is an indicator of work rate ... If we continually have to go down the line to a contest... Or don't get run from behind overlap... We are not working

When we lose the ball,.... How many free player they have fwd of the ball is a work rate indicator... Are we working back on the spread...

TV is a wonderful thing, so are statistics....

They stopped to a stand still in the second quarter.... It was noticeable. They just didn't maintain their work rate.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's not hard to tell...

When a player has the ball.... What he has to kick to, is an indicator of work rate ... If we continually have to go down the line to a contest... Or don't get run from behind overlap... We are not working

When we lose the ball,.... How many free player they have fwd of the ball is a work rate indicator... Are we working back on the spread...

TV is a wonderful thing, so are statistics....

They stopped to a stand still in the second quarter.... It was noticeable. They just didn't maintain their work rate.

I thought we had a great second quarter. If that quarter was no good how bad was the last?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
oh when the wrote:we lost to a club in its 3rd yr have won only 7 games
What a load of steaming hot bullsh1t. We are the ONLY club in the competition to have a better than 50% win/loss record in the last decade. The club and the current crop of players hav given us more highs than lows in recent history. Sure we didn't win the big one in this time, but hat had nothing to do with lack of effort or a team just willing to participate.
It's one frigging game and let's reserve judgement after a few rounds, you never know GC might be 4-0 after this time and we won't look so bad
Well said we have started eating our own a little early. I think we are the new tigers

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

Not true...it's the mindset of that poster in that post...

There is a HUGE difference, the club most likely don't know about that posters opinion, or yours, or mine....Our opinions are inconsequential to the clubs performance......
Not to big note, he thinks if he demands a win we will win.
It's up to supporters to do their bit and bag the club because that will turn things round.

Thanks for some reality.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying StK members are as demanding as Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton when it comes to winning?!

All of those clubs have been down.... And it's always been assumed, it's just a matter of time before they return to glory... Their supporters, club officials and players expect success in that guernsey.... And won't wait long when it's not delivered..

StK desires success.... Different to demanding it....

We don't expect to win, were happy when we do?? We look at the bad old days and compare better results than that as successful... It happens when you don't have deep expectations...

Great clubs remember glory, and are not happy until they achieve it again.

Why accept a failure such as Saturday night with either excuses or forgiveness.... Can't see how losing such a game can be seen as anything less than unacceptable.... Hopefully coaches have made it explicit. They embarrassed themselves.

Aaron Hamill's point of view when talking about the differences between StK and Carl is interesting. I've also spoken to Russell Greene about this.... He said, the mindset at Hawthorn was failure was not an option. It's funny, it didn't necessarily come from the coach.... Because guess what?!

oh when the
Club Player

one flag in 140 yrs speaks for itself

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Who the hell said I was happy with the loss. I hate losing, but what I hate more is crap overreative bulls***. It's one frigging game in a very long season and excuse me if I prefer to support my club rather than stick the boots in when we hit troubled times.

oh when the
Club Player

its one friggin game we should have won