The guys who played well

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

The guys who played well

Too much carrying on going on right now. Don't think we were ever going to be a force this year, not ideal to lose to the Suns but it isn't the end of the world.

Definitely some guys who played well tonight;

- Lenny Hayes - Hasn't lost it, amazing effort from the man to back up time and time again

- David Armitage - Incredible first half, dropped off a bit in the second but still played a great game and looks like he might be able to go to the next level after-all

- Rhys Stanley - Pretty good game first up in defence, plenty to work with there. Took some good marks and didn't lose many contests.

- Jarryn Geary - Found plenty of the footy, disposal was the same as always but still a good game from Jarryn

- Nick Dal Santo - Great first 1/4, Hunt took him out of it a bit in the 2nd but he fought on, eventually got back in the game after Hunt went off. Decent game.

- Arryn Siposs - Good game in defence, found enough of the ball.

Plenty of negatives tonight but don't think it would hurt to focus on some of the more positive things. Another positive is that at this rate James Aish will be playing at the Saints next year :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: The guys who played well

Robertson, Stanley! Armitage, Steven, Gwilt, Geary. That is all.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armo Hayes Steven Geary Stanley

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Thought Roberton was ok. Putrid conditions for a Vic teams first game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What about Milera's 3 goals? Fair effort.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Forgot Steven and you could probably add Roo in there too.

Think we'll win our fair share of games at Etihad this year but will struggle away from there. Probably around 8 wins for the season, 10 would be a good effort.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Thought Roberton was ok. Putrid conditions for a Vic teams first game.
Agree.

It's crazy we've had to travel in 3 of the past 4 seasons in round 1.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:What about Milera's 3 goals? Fair effort.
Does some things right but does a lot of things wrong too. Won't get into it because this thread is for the positives. 3 goals is a good effort from him though.

Thought Wilkes had some excellent efforts, wasn't really his night but I think we'll see him kick a few bags this year at Etihad

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The runners in orange.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Haha, they definitely helped a bit

vacuous space
SS Life Member

A bit of Lenny worship here. I don't think he was anywhere near one of our best. In a game in which our midfield got trounced, I would say that you could only single out Armo as having had a really good game. Geary, Stanley, Roo, Maister, Milera (at least until that turnover) all get at least passing marks.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:A bit of Lenny worship here. I don't think he was anywhere near one of our best. In a game in which our midfield got trounced, I would say that you could only single out Armo as having had a really good game. Geary, Stanley, Roo, Maister, Milera (at least until that turnover) all get at least passing marks.
Agree.

Lennys influence minimal.

Armo best of the mids.

Dal just tagged out of it - try that with Ablett...thats the difference.

“Yeah….nah””
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:The runners in orange.
For a professional sport that was a blooper of major proportion. Kicks were aimed a few times by the Suns at the runner, and we probably avoided his area in confusion.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Thought Roberton was ok. Putrid conditions for a Vic teams first game.
Roberton was going well....then disappeared. But showed some good stuff. Get Fisher, Dempster and Simpkin back in there, and we'll be better.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was amongst best

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:A bit of Lenny worship here. I don't think he was anywhere near one of our best. In a game in which our midfield got trounced, I would say that you could only single out Armo as having had a really good game. Geary, Stanley, Roo, Maister, Milera (at least until that turnover) all get at least passing marks.
Armo had had clearances and overall was good. But as our best he still only good 25 touches.

And there is the rub....we simply did not have many good players. Suns on the whole did not look that good. We were dreadful. Gablett won them the game, and there is a sorry tail that an insipid effort allowed one player to effectively beat us. Half decent ball use by us would ave seen us win.

Poor ball use, sloppy panicy....

So we had a handfull of solid players. Hardly confidence building.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 30 Mar 2013 11:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Gwilt was amongst best
Agree. Was the general back there and his kicking and decision making was back to his pre knee standard. Thought he was our best.

Teflon wrote:
Agree.

Lennys influence minimal.

Armo best of the mids.

Dal just tagged out of it - try that with Ablett...thats the difference.
Once again I agree totally. Lenny got yhe ball but often didnt create anything susbstantial from it, often turning it over by hand and foot. He wasnt alone in this though. Steven seems to turn it over a bit too. Gilbert needs to kick long. I dont trust his short kicking at all.

Best players for me were Armo, Stanley fair, Roberton had a go, Dal in patches, Nick always tries but to much out of position to cause problems, Maister has parts but doesnt get to the contest enough once the ball hits the ground. Armed Saad was the opposite playing good attack for defence and opportunity for others unfortunately they bombed it away to easy contests.

We have a long way to go in backs mids and forward structures.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Think People are being a bit harsh on Dal. Had it 23 times and 9 tackles. Pretty solid effort from him

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Geary was our best IMO

Armitage would have been except he was off for a large chunk of the third and had to play fwd a lot of the last....

Steven, Gilbert, Ray, Jones..... Can't have players who butcher the pill like that

Arryns effort was OK.... Worst game skill wise I've seen from him.... His decision making off

Defenders were OK as a group

Lenny was Lenny, Roo was Roo.... Both 6/10 games...

Newnes was brushed aside and struggled... The Suns exposed him...

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

#1GILL wrote:Think People are being a bit harsh on Dal. Had it 23 times and 9 tackles. Pretty solid effort from him
Got tagged pretty heavily and whilst he had good numbers, didn't influence much. But he fought on, and seemed to be off the ground quite a bit in the last.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Armo had had clearances and overall was good. But as our best he still only good 25 touches.
I'm not a fan of total possession as a stat. Armo's outside numbers tailed off as he sturggled to maintain composure in the heat. He still smashed it in the centre, had nine inside fifties and used the ball better than I'm used to seeing Armo use it. I think there's a few who overrate Armo on here by virtue of him being a tough inside mid, but he deserves every plaudit he receives tonight. To me, he was the best human on the ground since Ablett is clearly of another species.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
FQF
SS Life Member

Not sure how Maister is featuring among people's best.

He wasn't terrible, and holds his spot, but as a full forward did he do his job? Not really.

defacto
Club Player

dal santo decent game. fair dinkum. this bloke needs to be the senior player he is and not hang his head as soon as he cops a tag

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

defacto wrote:dal santo decent game. fair dinkum. this bloke needs to be the senior player he is and not hang his head as soon as he cops a tag
Dal's a very good player but a hard tag will always be his achilles. Definitely not one of those "un-tagables" (Ablett, Swan).

Bad management is bad management