St Kilda - The forgotten team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

St Kilda - The forgotten team

It's not often a team wins 12 games, loses another five by 13 points or less, finishes ninth on the ladder, then gets so completely overlooked in final eight speculation the following pre-season it's as if it ceased to exist.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z2OuKqjiyB

The first word of optimism I have heard about the Saints this preseason from an outsider.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda - The forgotten team

I've said it earlier, but I think we will surprise many this year and still think we have the best compliment of small forwards in the comp.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Rohan couldn't wait or the slow news day got to the subbies

he mentioned he had done this article on this mornings radio

ona similiar line I heard someone give a tip last night against the saints and they suggested the reason was that the saints had too many old and past it players.
I checked 3 of the other teams who have been contending in the last few years- and have won a few.
Pies have 11 players around 30
Cats have 13 players around 30
Hawks have 8 players around 30
and Saints have 10 players around 30

why should Mitchell be assured of getting through a season
why should Fletcher be assured of getting through a season
why will Chappy survive if injections are reduced....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Rohan couldn't wait or the slow news day got to the subbies

ona similiar line I heard someone give a tip last night against the saints and they suggested the reason was that the saints had too many old and past it players.
I checked 3 of the other teams who have been contending in the last few years- and have won a few.

Silly reasoning by Rohan and Co. What makes me think we will struggle this year (we should account for Gold Coast) is cos unlike those other clubs mentioned we lack quality in the middle age group which has been highlighted internally and in the media. We've got a good group of players 28+ and between 19-24 however lack players in their prime years 25-28.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't Rohan who did the reasoning on the aging and past it list- but there seems to be this perception..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:It's not often a team wins 12 games, loses another five by 13 points or less, finishes ninth on the ladder, then gets so completely overlooked in final eight speculation the following pre-season it's as if it ceased to exist.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z2OuKqjiyB

The first word of optimism I have heard about the Saints this preseason from an outsider.
Why do some supporters seemingly get off due to media coverage or lackthereof?

Why not just enjoy what your team does and go from there?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:I've said it earlier, but I think we will surprise many this year and still think we have the best compliment of small forwards in the comp.
agree, and i like coming into the season under the radar... just like in 04 and 09.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
chook23
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:I've said it earlier, but I think we will surprise many this year and still think we have the best compliment of small forwards in the comp.
agree, and i like coming into the season under the radar... just like in 04 and 09.
list talent and guns at different stage than 04 and 09

09 we were coming off a prelim.........we were not under the radar

saint4life
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Rohan couldn't wait or the slow news day got to the subbies

Silly reasoning by Rohan and Co. What makes me think we will struggle this year (we should account for Gold Coast) is cos unlike those other clubs mentioned we lack quality in the middle age group which has been highlighted internally and in the media. We've got a good group of players 28+ and between 19-24 however lack players in their prime years 25-28.
Agree, we've recruited heavily to help rectify this problem, but unfortunately they don't come with experience. I would like to see a figure for total games accumulated by players under 27, I reckon we would be at the very bottom.

Lee, Hickey, Saad, Milera, TDL, Maister, Roberton, Dunnell... Some very good potential there, but I think it is unrealistic to expect them to be at full flight until they are approaching the 50 game mark, which is 2 years away. It's why I think it is do important to get games into them while our stars are still there. Delisting Polo, Peake, Clarke etc was a good start, but I really don't want to see Kosi, CJ and even Blake played in front of these mid 20's guys.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

yep agree re Blake, Kosi and Jones - its kid time now and fast.

what scares me as we wait say 2 yrs to get near 50 games into some of these players is the lack of A Grade quality.
when we drafted Roo, Ball, Kosi (?) even Dal we knew we knew in there some stars were brewing.........now in Newnes, Armo, Steven, Saad, Lee, Milera, we havent a clue what weve really got.

Glad and interested to hear Watters say we are going for an A Grade midfielder and gun defender........we need to re inject some top line quality BUT mayeb the thinking is.........get a core of better skilled, capable support cast players......and go hard free agency?????

Dunno buut its gonna be interesting.

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

agree teffers. we are lacking that genuine a grade marquee player. i just dont see it with steven and armo. good support acts...but not gun material imo. hopefully we find a couple of a graders from newnes, sippos, wright and co.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Forgotten can be a good thing. Look at the Swans.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
linz
Club Player

We weren't much chop in 1997 either but made the GF.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:We weren't much chop in 1997 either .
And we still aren't much chop...hopefully we'll develop as the season unfolds

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
damienc
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Forgotten can be a good thing. Look at the Swans.
You are absolutely right. Well said. The Swannies went on to win the premiership in 2012 more importantly we were one of the few AFL teams to put them to the sword. I think the story in the Age made some very important points that a few people on this forum seem to conveniently forget probably because they are so intent on bagging the team at every opportunity or reminding everyone how useless we are and have been. I have said it before and I will say it again. We have a very good coach. We have some promising new players. Our win lose record last season was not a complete disaster. We have reason to be optimistic. So before we write off season 2013 can we at least wait and see how we go this season? Who knows we might all be pleasantly surprised.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Teflon wrote:yep agree re Blake, Kosi and Jones - its kid time now and fast.

what scares me as we wait say 2 yrs to get near 50 games into some of these players is the lack of A Grade quality.
when we drafted Roo, Ball, Kosi (?) even Dal we knew we knew in there some stars were brewing.........now in Newnes, Armo, Steven, Saad, Lee, Milera, we havent a clue what weve really got.

Glad and interested to hear Watters say we are going for an A Grade midfielder and gun defender........we need to re inject some top line quality BUT mayeb the thinking is.........get a core of better skilled, capable support cast players......and go hard free agency?????

I agree regarding the lack of A Grade talent. Even Steven doesn't seem to quite have the skill set to be THAT good. Siposs maybe?

Would've been great to have nabbed Caddy, but it was never a big possibility.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Forgotten can be a good thing. Look at the Swans.
You are absolutely right. Well said. The Swannies went on to win the premiership in 2012 more importantly we were one of the few AFL teams to put them to the sword. I think the story in the Age made some very important points that a few people on this forum seem to conveniently forget probably because they are so intent on bagging the team at every opportunity or reminding everyone how useless we are and have been. I have said it before and I will say it again. We have a very good coach. We have some promising new players. Our win lose record last season was not a complete disaster. We have reason to be optimistic. So before we write off season 2013 can we at least wait and see how we go this season? Who knows we might all be pleasantly surprised.

if you start high and lose often, it invites disappointment...if you start low and win it is uplifting....

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
andrewg
Club Player

Still feel like James Frawley is on the radar and Brown for west coast (both out of contract 2014), these two would strengthen up defence.

Then it's a matter of poaching one of the young guns from Gold Coast or GWS 2-3 years our wait for a gun 27-28 year old free agent midfielder. Add this to the development from our young guys and we should de pretty well in 2016-17

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It's not often a team wins 12 games, loses another five by 13 points or less, finishes ninth on the ladder etc
He has a point. Those five we lost by 13 or less were a real killer. In at least two we were the victims of some very questionable umpiring.

If a few things go right we can be very competitive this season. But we have to start the season well.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:

Still feel like James Frawley is on the radar and Brown for west coast (both out of contract 2014), these two would strengthen up defence.

Then it's a matter of poaching one of the young guns from Gold Coast or GWS 2-3 years our wait for a gun 27-28 year old free agent midfielder. Add this to the development from our young guys and we should de pretty well in 2016-17
I thought I read the other day that Frawley is contracted for 2014?
I wouldn't be hinging our future defensive stakes on Brown....who cant crack into the Eagles .....that aint A grade

I reckon midfield A grade will be interesting

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

When has any supporter been able to predict when we were a flag threat? You choose to be either upbeat or down beat, reality suggests nobody really knows what is possible. Any negative bias says more about the individual than anything really going on at St.Kilda.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
spot on
Club Player

Really excited to hear that we will target mids and key defenders at seasons end. Hopefully can get some though free agency , while maintaining our draft picks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
andrewg wrote:

I thought I read the other day that Frawley is contracted for 2014?
I wouldn't be hinging our future defensive stakes on Brown....who cant crack into the Eagles .....that aint A grade

I reckon midfield A grade will be interesting

Yes he has 2 years to go including this year. It was a rumour at best.We were never a chance of getting him unless BF or SS carry more weight. Lets forget Brown at the moment as well. If he plays 5 games this year I wouldnt see any reason to get excited. If he plays 18 I reckon WCE will try very hard to get a new contract signed by him.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:
list talent and guns at different stage than 04 and 09

09 we were coming off a prelim.........we were not under the radar
We were considered to be a fair way behind the hawks, cats and dogs in 2008. I don't think anyone predicted our stellar home and away season in 2009.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Judging by the membership numbers, it's saints fans who have forgotten sadly

Hype around teams is heightened by the supporters, they're the barometers