Good Friday footy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good Friday footy

markp wrote:Melbourne stubbies are fine... not tried vb since they went back to the original recipe, but if it's in a stubby or otherwise served in glass and it's the correct temperature it should be alright.

Another non can man. Just about all my mates are the same. I dont care but I do like my beer very cold. Is that ok with you?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Colder the better!

SunburySaint
Club Player

is this an open invitation P66?

Now lives in Geelong...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:is this an open invitation P66?

Of course. Just turn up. 12.30 start. Rules are simple. Bring the fish. Argue with me. abuse each other. Say how good the AFL is going. Hug Andy when you arrive. Give lenny a kiss on the cheek. Speak to all my friends like Leigh fisher and Jordan bannister. And clap everytime I put the fixture up on my tv screen.

SunburySaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Of course. Just turn up. 12.30 start. Rules are simple. Bring the fish. Argue with me. abuse each other. Say how good the AFL is going. Hug Andy when you arrive. Give lenny a kiss on the cheek. Speak to all my friends like Leigh fisher and Jordan bannister. And clap everytime I put the fixture up on my tv screen.
Done deal.... we can't mention the war though right?

Now lives in Geelong...
evo
Club Player

Does the sanatorium allow bbq's ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That is great stuff pluggs… Can we also go through the MRP guidelines example video?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That is great stuff pluggs… Can we also go through the MRP guidelines example video?

That will be on a rotating play. I have invited my best mate Ray Chamberlain to explain it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Ahhh! The annual anti good Friday appeal thread brought to you by SP. Love his work. And my annual post to this very important thread, religion is good for one thing...public holidays.

If fish isn't to your liking then you are all invited to my annual FESTIVAL OF THE COW! party.

It's a theme party this year so you must come dressed as your favourite God.

There is a a full cow on a spit all day (and night) and heaps of other delicsous meat dishes and deserts. Beer on tap and live music and scantly clad waitresses...bring a friend.

BYO tooth picks.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Footy Couch

Port Adelaide really have gotten into the holiday spirit, set to give Jesus a debut on Easter Sunday

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Anyone apart from Demteriou still against it?

Surely it's time.
me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:No footy on Good Friday is ridiculous. It's the most boring public holiday of the year. What is the difference between playing on Good Friday compared to Easter Sunday / Monday?

North Melbourne made a big push for Good Friday footy a few years back but failed.

In the past, Channel 7 have been against it clashing with the Good Friday Appeal, but if they worked that into the footy coverage, they'd probably bring in a lot more cash.
if you have to ask, i can't see the point in trying to explain it.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
noob
Club Player

If the season started after Good Friday then these discussions wouldn't be brought up.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually I do eat fish on Good Friday, as everyone knows do believe in the events of the day, but as I say every year have no objection to a Friday night match especially if it is alligned with the Good Friday Appeal and agree it would make a lot of money.
7 have got three free to air stations, they can have the footy on one and the RCH appeal on one of the others.
By the way Plugger, that Barbeque sounds good, bring some nice trout for your barbie if we can continue our discussion regarding the AFL fixture.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Footy Couch

Port Adelaide really have gotten into the holiday spirit, set to give Jesus a debut on Easter Sunday
Man, that is full on. Notice how he's covering his hands? So we can't see the nail wounds?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Footy Couch

Man, that is full on. Notice how he's covering his hands? So we can't see the nail wounds?
Obviously, Port are trying to resurrect their team.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

i reckon you guys could be right. Now that his Socceroo days may well be over, why not AFL...?

Image Image
Parting the Red Sea...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:If the season started after Good Friday then these discussions wouldn't be brought up.
Funny you should mention that Noob… The entire season starts the week before Good Friday this year because the AFL believe so strongly about not playing football on a holy day except… wait for it… they are not willing to forgo the revenue of a single Friday night match, so instead of just having Good Friday off, we have the entire season extended by a week & a split first round. But we don't have time for the players to get two byes a year, no way, the season just goes for too long :shock:

If someone elses religious beliefs are important enough to stop the rest of enjoying what we normally do on a Friday night, then the AFL should have the courtesy of missing out on one single Friday night games revenue, instead of completely stuffing up the beginning of a season with an absurd split/bye round one.

Feel like I've mentioned this before somewhere?

I respect that people have faiths and beliefs that mean sport on certain days is not kosher, but should everyone else have to follow the same ideals? We never used to play football on a Sunday either, times change, devout followers should be free to boycott any matches that fall on their said holy days, but I don't believe everyone else should have to adhere.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
noob wrote:If the season started after Good Friday then these discussions wouldn't be brought up.
Funny you should mention that Noob… The entire season starts the week before Good Friday this year because the AFL believe so strongly about not playing football on a holy day except… wait for it… they are not willing to forgo the revenue of a single Friday night match, so instead of just having Good Friday off, we have the entire season extended by a week & a split first round. But we don't have time for the players to get two byes a year, no way, the season just goes for too long :shock:

If someone elses religious beliefs are important enough to stop the rest of enjoying what we normally do on a Friday night, then the AFL should have the courtesy of missing out on one single Friday night games revenue, instead of completely stuffing up the beginning of a season with an absurd split/bye round one.

I respect that people have faiths and beliefs that mean sport on certain days is not kosher, but should everyone else have to follow the same ideals? We never used to play football on a Sunday either, times change, devout followers should be free to boycott any matches that fall on their said holy days, but I don't believe everyone else should have to adhere.

Dragit you know that isnt correct. They couldnt get any of the main grounds last week. They tried for about 2 months last year to get them. It was in the paper on numerous occasions but the cricket still have sway at the moment. I think it may change next year hopefully. And you do realise the footy has started on the Easter weekend many times and they still havent played good Friday. And if they wanted the revenue from a Friday night game that much surely they would play good Friday.

Viking3
Club Player

dragit wrote:

Well said 'dragit'.
Like most things in the world today the minority have a greater say than the majority.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Dragit you know that isnt correct. They couldnt get any of the main grounds last week. They tried for about 2 months last year to get them. It was in the paper on numerous occasions but the cricket still have sway at the moment. I think it may change next year hopefully. And you do realise the footy has started on the Easter weekend many times and they still havent played good Friday. And if they wanted the revenue from a Friday night game that much surely they would play good Friday.
Okay, can you tell me why they didn't they just have 9 games this weekend?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Dragit you know that isnt correct. They couldnt get any of the main grounds last week. They tried for about 2 months last year to get them. It was in the paper on numerous occasions but the cricket still have sway at the moment. I think it may change next year hopefully. And you do realise the footy has started on the Easter weekend many times and they still havent played good Friday. And if they wanted the revenue from a Friday night game that much surely they would play good Friday.

Because they want to continue to put pressure on the other cricket grounds. They want to start early. Maybe next year even 2 to 3 weeks early if they get the grounds. That is my opinion. Could be wrong. I usually am. Why did they start early last year when Easter had nothing to do with it?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

we have our own Contender for a part on the Weekend

and probably joined by Cam Shenton.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Because they want to continue to put pressure on the other cricket grounds. They want to start early. Maybe next year even 2 to 3 weeks early if they get the grounds. That is my opinion. Could be wrong. I usually am. Why did they start early last year when Easter had nothing to do with it?
Last year they started early with another absurd split round standalone game GWS vs Sydney because Sheedy pointed out that there would be an opportunity for extra promotion and and money to be made.

Sydney beat Freo by 2 goals in round 2, after they had 6 more days to rest & prepare. They only finished in the top 4 by one win… in a game of percentages and inches this stuff matters, tacking on a week can make a difference.
I think that the draw is skewed way too heavily towards revenue and TV rights, instead of one with integrity that gives all clubs the best chance of the ultimate prize. Let's see how Ess, Freo, Adel & WCE go in round 2 this year with an extra weeks break.

I can't think of any other reason than greed why all teams aren't just starting round 1 together this weekend.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote: Okay, can you tell me why they didn't they just have 9 games this weekend?

Last year they started early with another absurd split round standalone game GWS vs Sydney because Sheedy pointed out that there would be an opportunity for extra promotion and and money to be made.

Sydney beat Freo by 2 goals in round 2, after they had 6 more days to rest & prepare. They only finished in the top 4 by one win… in a game of percentages and inches this stuff matters, tacking on a week can make a difference.
I think that the draw is skewed way too heavily towards revenue and TV rights, instead of one with integrity that gives all clubs the best chance of the ultimate prize. Let's see how Ess, Freo, Adel & WCE go in round 2 this year with an extra weeks break.

I can't think of any other reason than greed why all teams aren't just starting round 1 together this weekend.

Its only guess work to suggest the game the week before helped Sydney beat freo. Looking at the form around those weeks you may even suggest it hurt Sydney. And of course the fixture is skewed towards revenue and TV rights. They help us keep 18 clubs but I doubt the 3 games that they have had early in the last 2 years are that big for that reason to be used. Surely you remember the AFL trying to get the first round to be a week earlier to get 2 byes. They were trying to get the Tigers blues game to be the first game of the year but cricket victoria wouldnt budge.

If it was greed would you start with Sydney GWS last year and Adelaide Essendon this year? I wouldnt.