Stanley listed to play this weekend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley listed to play this weekend

Saunders is a goer.... Cannot kick
Brodie had a shocking first half, better second half. Looks a similar talent to Seb Ross. Different type of player, but same body size.
Webster tried to do a bit too much with the ball. Not as good as last week... Less space at Frankston oval
Lever struggled up fwd
Staley just OK
Shenton was good on Lourey
Minchington, Curren both extremely quick and both very good.
Spencer White was terrible, lazy, laconic, did not chase and not a second effort in him, concerned last week...he needs a rocket
Tom Simpkin was heckled by the usual peanut gallery, as he was having a shocker... But got a bit better during the game
The young Ruckman looked like a young Ruckman playing his first senior game
Schnieder did some nice things, but I was disappointed in his effort.

Best for Sandy
Curran, Marigliani, Cooke, Minchington, Cockie, Micheladis, Tiernan

Some Frankston player impressed me, namely their Ruckman.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Saunders is a goer.... Cannot kick
Brodie had a shocking first half, better second half. Looks a similar talent to Seb Ross. Different type of player, but same body size.
Webster tried to do a bit too much with the ball. Not as good as last week... Less space at Frankston oval
Lever struggled up fwd
Staley just OK
Shenton was good on Lourey
Minchington, Curren both extremely quick and both very good.
Spencer White was terrible, lazy, laconic, did not chase and not a second effort in him, concerned last week...he needs a rocket
Tom Simpkin was heckled by the usual peanut gallery, as he was having a shocker... But got a bit better during the game
The young Ruckman looked like a young Ruckman playing his first senior game
Schnieder did some nice things, but I was disappointed in his effort.

Best for Sandy

Curran, Marigliani, Cooke, Minchington, Cockie, Micheladis, Tiernan

What I liked about this post was the line "similar talent to but different type of player". Really made me think.

Not much better for it though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jonathan Brown and Nick Riewoldt would be similar talents.... But different type

Both outstanding CHF's though

Brodie is a flanker type with solid body and ok overhead
Seb is an inside mid with a big body good off the deck

Same running styles and I'd reckon there dimension would be similar

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Bigmart.....is spencer white the boy you watched tearing it up in school footy? or am I confusing it with another you commented about.

saint4life
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, he did pretty much as he pleased...

Could you imagine a 6'5" gun athlete with extraordinary leap and good hands who could kick 55m running around in a secondary school game??

He would have had 30+ possessions 15 marks 5 goals in an 80 point win for MHS... My boys were no match for him...
I dis have a 202cm basketballer rucking... But spencer jumped all over him..

Having said that, that is not senior VFL footy.... Today he was shown up with his lack of effort

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Minchington continuing to impress by the sounds of it. Thanks to those who provided match and player summaries.

Scoop
Club Player

BigMart wrote:
....Hamish Shepherd....from WA...has a real crack....very impressive today....and has had quite a haircut from last week...

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Scoop
Club Player

Once again agree with a lot of what BigMart has said

Saunders is a real goer.... his kicking is a bit hit or miss....is quite small, but he is pretty tough and hopefully will develop into an AFL player. Got crunched today...straight down the middle....would have hurt a lot....I thought that may have been the end of him for the day....but he shook it off and played on....like him.
Murdoch is a tank.....pace is a concern, good mark and kick (altho kicking was a bit off today) ....I think he could be a player...especially when his body gets a bit more chiselled (like what Watson has done...not saying he is going to be as good as Watson tho....although hoping).
Lever didn't do a lot, apart from taking one strong grab. Still a mile off it....needs to bulk up considerably.
Staley slow and not strong enough at the moment....does kick well tho....played down back and a bit in the ruck......would persevere a bit longer.
Shenton was solid....did what he had to do on a competent, strong VFL player.
Curren was very good today.....showed a turn of pace and a fair bit of skill....exactly what I was bagging him for last week as lacking....may need to reconsider!!
Spencer White was everything that BigMart said he was. As I said last week, he is going to thrill and he is going to frustrate....just hope the thrill outweighs the frustration!
Schneider was ok, not as good as last week....did what he had to without overly pushing himself.
Minchington was pretty good again.
Tom Simpkin was pretty ordinary early, but finished the game strongly.
As I mentioned earlier, Lewis Pierce looked ok in his half a game. Still very skinny, but looks like he has got something. Obviously will need to see some more from him, but I am enthused.
As BM mentioned, Webster was not as good as last week, but he really does show something. Great kick and some of his handballing today was excellent.

Also.....apparently Stanley has trained well this week and may be a starter in Round 1.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:Once again agree with a lot of what BigMart has said

Saunders is a real goer.... his kicking is a bit hit or miss....is quite small, but he is pretty tough and hopefully will develop into an AFL player. Got crunched today...straight down the middle....would have hurt a lot....I thought that may have been the end of him for the day....but he shook it off and played on....like him.
Murdoch is a tank.....pace is a concern, good mark and kick (altho kicking was a bit off today) ....I think he could be a player...especially when his body gets a bit more chiselled (like what Watson has done...not saying he is going to be as good as Watson tho....although hoping).
Lever didn't do a lot, apart from taking one strong grab. Still a mile off it....needs to bulk up considerably.
Staley slow and not strong enough at the moment....does kick well tho....played down back and a bit in the ruck......would persevere a bit longer.
Curren was very good today.....showed a turn of pace and a fair bit of skill....exactly what I was bagging him for last week as lacking....may need to reconsider!!
Spencer White was everything that BigMart said he was. As I said last week, he is going to thrill and he is going to frustrate....just hope the thrill outweighs the frustration!
Schneider was ok, not as good as last week....did what he had to without overly pushing himself.
As I mentioned earlier, Lewis Pierce looked ok in his half a game. Still very skinny, but looks like he has got something. Obviously will need to see some more from him, but I am enthused.
As BM mentioned, Webster was not as good as last week, but he really does show something. Great kick and some of his handballing today was excellent.

Also.....apparently Stanley has trained well this week and may be a starter in Round 1.

Surely we arent that desparate the we will play a guy who has played a half of footy in the pre season.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scoop wrote:Once again agree with a lot of what BigMart has said

Surely we arent that desparate the we will play a guy who has played a half of footy in the pre season.
errr..yes.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have real hopes for Saunders- he has that crazy Joel Selwood ball attack.

On bigfooty they said Spencer was ok but faded and suggested Murdoch went well. I thought they said Staley played forward and was injured?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saunders was certainly nursing a sore jaw at some point

Simpkin could not get out of the umpirs way if he tried today- what ever he did he got pinged for-- I said to friend maybe stick him in the forward line to just see if it changes his fortune-- got a kick at goal and missed.
but the caveman bookend of the back line cetainly stood out.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin gave away at least 5 free kicks today, although the umpiring was comical...must have been 80-100 free kicks. Tom also gave away a number last week, could be lack of size or clumsy attack on the footy?

Saunders is tough.... No doubt, he's is only 18 too, and we are apparently able to excuse younger guys who take short steps... Won't be required for him.

Scoop
Club Player

gringo wrote:I have real hopes for Saunders- he has that crazy Joel Selwood ball attack.

On bigfooty they said Spencer was ok but faded and suggested Murdoch went well. I thought they said Staley played forward and was injured?
In my view, Spencer did very little....got his hands on the ball a fair bit but couldn't hold a mark that was in any way contested....not ok for mine.
Murdoch was ok, but didn't use it as well as he can.
Staley started off down back, did some ruckwork and did spend a little time forward....but not to great effect. Did cop a knock or whatever to his leg (knee), just before 3qtr time and went to the bench after the break. Did think he came back on, but am open to correction.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
gringo wrote:I have real hopes for Saunders- he has that crazy Joel Selwood ball attack.

In my view, Spencer did very little....got his hands on the ball a fair bit but couldn't hold a mark that was in any way contested....not ok for mine.
Murdoch was ok, but didn't use it as well as he can.
Staley started off down back, did some ruckwork and did spend a little time forward....but not to great effect. Did cop a knock or whatever to his leg (knee), just before 3qtr time and went to the bench after the break. Did think he came back on, but am open to correction.

Cheers- I wasn't having a go just trying to clarify. Always glad of reports they are always pretty subjective though so had to ask. Spenser I think already has a few fans so can't do any wrong.

Scoop
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Cheers- I wasn't having a go just trying to clarify. Always glad of reports they are always pretty subjective though so had to ask. Spenser I think already has a few fans so can't do any wrong.
And I am also a fan....just think he is going to frustrate at times...and will need a bit of time to get an AFL body...