Punt rd & Visy park boutique stadium options: AFL inquiry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Punt rd & Visy park boutique stadium options: AFL inquiry

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bou ... 2gdoa.html

Better late than never!

Even I it never happens, of they could convince Etihad's owners to drop their selling price to $150m then the AFL could purchase Etihad and dramatically improve our stadium deal.

And then maybe we could say bye bye to NZ and home games at the G!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Punt rd & Visy park boutique stadium options: AFL inquir

Interesting...the free markets at play. Who would have thought. It was suggested to me recently that Victoria will never get another ground and the bloke that suggested it is really connected and in the know.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Interesting...the free markets at play. Who would have thought. It was suggested to me recently that Victoria will never get another ground and the bloke that suggested it is really connected and in the know.
it's just a play to drive down the buyout price of Etihad.

In 15 years time the AFL get it for $1, so it won't have much value if the owners wait too much longer!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Interesting...the free markets at play. Who would have thought. It was suggested to me recently that Victoria will never get another ground and the bloke that suggested it is really connected and in the know.

Have you noticed where the grounds are Cairnman? Right near the city and are already built and even then it still wont happen. You wanted a ground in the middle of the SE, where ever that is and it would cost 100 million to build and not once have you been able to say who would pay for it. And I aint connected or in the know. Its actually called common sense.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have you noticed where the grounds are Cairnman? Right near the city and are already built and even then it still wont happen. You wanted a ground in the middle of the SE, where ever that is and it would cost 100 million to build and not once have you been able to say who would pay for it. And I aint connected or in the know. Its actually called common sense.
I believe you Oneup66. Why wouldn't I.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Build it and they will come...........at Moorabbin!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Build it and they will come...........at Moorabbin!
You'll need 100 million according to Oneup66!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Well how much do you think you would need. 3 million? Still havent heard where the money is coming from. By the way like the name. I am always oneup on you.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Like Charles Foster Kane, in citizen Kane, who had his "Rosebud", once I make my billions, i'll have my "Moorabbin". I don't care what it costs! Or I might have to marry Gina and ask her to build it for me.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could petition channel 7 to create a show to take on the Block, Rebuild a football stadium.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Well how much do you think you would need. 3 million? Still havent heard where the money is coming from. By the way like the name. I am always oneup on you.
Not sure. I'm still trying to figure out why the AFL and the Queensland government come up with 3 million dollars to upgrade Cazaly's in Cairns so they could play 3 AFL matches there. Where did the money come from I can hear you ask. I'd say it is your classic boutique ground with a capacity of around 10k yet someone must have calculated an ROI somewhere along the way. I'm still trying to understand your pre-occupation with where money comes from, I've tried to help you understand the concept of free markets but you still want to know where the chicken comes from. But your're right, where does it come from.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Cairnsman wrote:
if waterhouse can plow $25mil into the nRL
surely our mob can do the same for us - & we develop junction oval

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Not sure. I'm still trying to figure out why the AFL and the Queensland government come up with 3 million dollars to upgrade Cazaly's in Cairns so they could play 3 AFL matches there. Where did the money come from I can hear you ask. I'd say it is your classic boutique ground with a capacity of around 10k yet someone must have calculated an ROI somewhere along the way. I'm still trying to understand your pre-occupation with where money comes from, I've tried to help you understand the concept of free markets but you still want to know where the chicken comes from. But your're right, where does it come from.

Cairnsman, there's no such thing as a free market.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

That sounds deep. What do you mean?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
if waterhouse can plow $25mil into the nRL
surely our mob can do the same for us - & we develop junction oval
The problem with the Junction Oval is the cricket club (landlords). Why do you think we left there so long ago? And that is why Fitzroy left too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Well I don't know what you meant by free markets but I don't think we have any free market in any sector apart from the small business sector. The AFL isn't certainly a free market. You even said that Victoria was an impossible place to do business because of red tape and govt intervention. Most places are.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Well I don't know what you meant by free markets but I don't think we have any free market in any sector apart from the small business sector. The AFL isn't certainly a free market. You even said that Victoria was an impossible place to do business because of red tape and govt intervention. Most places are.
I think you are getting the AFL regime conspiracy theory mixed up with free market. It is possible that the article on turning Punt Rd or Princess Park into a boutique ground is part of a game being played by the AFL, but if it isn't what it might be is a bunch of fat cats sitting around a yum cha banquet table discussing the financial prospects of opening up more grounds because there is some cabbage to be made. Who knows...strange things happen when someone thinks some money can be made. The market dictates is what I meant by free markets.

SuperDuper
Club Player

these grounds (and GWS ground) are not boutique.... they are simply small... for when you have small crowds

As usual, the media are just sycophants of the AFL, using such a ridiculous term

Apples
Club Player

Changing direction slightly, can anybody tell me how long we are locked in for to play home games at "Idiot Stadium" as an anchor tennant, when does our agreement expire?
I find it unbelievable that unless we draw 34,000+ then we have to write a cheque to the stadium owners for the privlidge of playing there. By contrast, Geelong make a minimum of $500,000 playing at Simmonds Stadium and over a $1m for big games. I'm not sure who signed off on our disastrous deal, I do know we received an up front inducement from the AFL to move from Arctic Park to become an anchor tennant but it seems in hindsight that was the biggest con of the century. How long are we locked into this financial anchor???

battye
Saintsational Legend

Which one is Visy Park again? Is that Optus Oval?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
gringo
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Which one is Visy Park again? Is that Optus Oval?

Yeah it's the good old Princess Park in Parkville The problem is no parking and only trams close transport. They can't clear Southern cross so imagine 10000 on the 1 tram every hour. It would take 2 days to get everyone home.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
it's just a play to drive down the buyout price of Etihad.

In 15 years time the AFL get it for $1, so it won't have much value if the owners wait too much longer!
12 years...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Like Charles Foster Kane, in citizen Kane, who had his "Rosebud", once I make my billions, i'll have my "Moorabbin". I don't care what it costs! Or I might have to marry Gina and ask her to build it for me.

shudder......some things money can't buy ww....and gina has proven that....looks and class....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Apples wrote:Changing direction slightly, can anybody tell me how long we are locked in for to play home games at "Idiot Stadium" as an anchor tennant, when does our agreement expire?
I find it unbelievable that unless we draw 34,000+ then we have to write a cheque to the stadium owners for the privlidge of playing there. By contrast, Geelong make a minimum of $500,000 playing at Simmonds Stadium and over a $1m for big games. I'm not sure who signed off on our disastrous deal, I do know we received an up front inducement from the AFL to move from Arctic Park to become an anchor tennant but it seems in hindsight that was the biggest con of the century. How long are we locked into this financial anchor???
i think our original contract has expired...therefore we stay as it were/was so to speak... and no one is willing to give us a new contract..and we have no where else to go...so we are virtually stuffed because of the afl's overall agreement to play a certain amount of games at the dome each year....