Saints v Suns - Rd 1 - preview and discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Suns - Rd 1 - preview and discussion

Gears on Ablett?

Interesting.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Gears on Ablett?

Interesting.

I doubt it. We dont need geary as a mid. He has pretty much played back all pre season. No point in even tagging Ablett but CJ will try.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No point in even tagging Ablett but CJ will try.
You think he's back in the 22 after being out of it end of last?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:No point in even tagging Ablett but CJ will try.
You think he's back in the 22 after being out of it end of last?

Yep he is certain round one because he is going ok and also Joey is out. We are short a few mids as it is. We have very poor midfield depth compared to the top 6 sides from last year.

rexy
SS Life Member

From what I heard from today Simpkin sounds like a fair chance, will be a few changes IMO

Maybe this year?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

geary stanley gwilt
fisher gilbert dempster
ray hayes nds
milera roo schneider
milne wilkes hickey

mcevoy armo steven

roberton newnes siposs sub saad

suspended : montagna
emergencies: simpkin lee wright

stevie
Saintsational Legend

If Gazza is racking up possies where it don't matter, then it don't matter who he have on him. He's most dangerous when he sneaks forward to kick goals.

If it doesn't affect our defence, let Gears run with him all day maybe

sverik25
Club Player

If St Kilda lose to the Gold Coast then I think we can pretty much discount them as a top eight chance, this game is a must win, even if some players are injured/underdone.

PJ
SS Life Member

If Stanley & Dempster don't come up Roberton looks likely to play. Blakey may well prove a good call for keeping on the list if the backs have injuries and Rhys is consistently in that category.

Backs Gwilt Simpkin Geary
Half-back Roberton Fisher Sipposs
Centre Gilbert Hayes Dal
Half-forward Schneider Maister Saad
Forward Hickey Riewoldt Milne

Followers McEvoy, Armo, Steven
Interchange CJ, Newnes, Ray (Dunnel - sub)
Emg Milera, Blake, Wright

Possibly the Blake in the back mix.

I can't see anyone else pushing into that squad with maybe TDL the exception.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Roberton will play most games this season and especially if he takes the chance that opens up by us missing several backline players. I think Blake probably won't play because they don't really have a dominant tall forward- I think Danny Stanley is their FF but he's not exactly Cloke. Gwilt will probably play as his undersized opponent -Fisher with Tom Lynch or vice versa.

Roberton isn't as stylish as Simpkin but seems slightly taller and is a little less attacking and more staid. This might sound stupid but I would think about playing Simpkin away from defence- he could be very Hammill like if shifted up the ground, he's ferocious and defensive so would help that aspect. I would love it if we could build his fitness up to the point he could play a wing /on ball role. He was good at exploiting his running ability at junior level.

I think that quarterback role is limiting Siposs at the moment and I would look at putting either Dal, Newnes or even Milera or someone with a bit of run and carry and good by foot anyway there. We don't have to have a direct Goddard replacement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think Roberton will play most games this season and especially if he takes the chance that opens up by us missing several backline players. I think Blake probably won't play because they don't really have a dominant tall forward- I think Danny Stanley is their FF but he's not exactly Cloke. Gwilt will probably play as his undersized opponent -Fisher with Tom Lynch or vice versa.

Roberton isn't as stylish as Simpkin but seems slightly taller and is a little less attacking and more staid. This might sound stupid but I would think about playing Simpkin away from defence- he could be very Hammill like if shifted up the ground, he's ferocious and defensive so would help that aspect. I would love it if we could build his fitness up to the point he could play a wing /on ball role. He was good at exploiting his running ability at junior level.

I think that quarterback role is limiting Siposs at the moment and I would look at putting either Dal, Newnes or even Milera or someone with a bit of run and carry and good by foot anyway there. We don't have to have a direct Goddard replacement.

Simpkin is a backman. He has only ever played there because it suits him. he would never make a forward and wont be tried there. And putting Dal at HB would be suicidal. We havent got enough mids as it is. And why is it limiting Siposs anyway?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I think Roberton will play most games this season and especially if he takes the chance that opens up by us missing several backline players. I think Blake probably won't play because they don't really have a dominant tall forward- I think Danny Stanley is their FF but he's not exactly Cloke. Gwilt will probably play as his undersized opponent -Fisher with Tom Lynch or vice versa.

Simpkin is a backman. He has only ever played there because it suits him. he would never make a forward and wont be tried there. And putting Dal at HB would be suicidal. We havent got enough mids as it is. And why is it limiting Siposs anyway?

I would say Siposs' output has been disappointing so far in the NAB series and think he was more effective with a less defined role. Simpkin played forward enough for about a third of his highlights reel and looks like he has some goal sense. We don't really need him there but I think he shows enough to find him a spot in the team. Dal has played back under lyon so it's a way to rebound with precision but does rob a midfielder but could possible be sent to rest there and swap to save rotations.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I would say Siposs' output has been disappointing so far in the NAB series and think he was more effective with a less defined role. Simpkin played forward enough for about a third of his highlights reel and looks like he has some goal sense. We don't really need him there but I think he shows enough to find him a spot in the team. Dal has played back under lyon so it's a way to rebound with precision but does rob a midfielder but could possible be sent to rest there and swap to save rotations.
I dont watch highlights reels. I saw Lennys once. He was an average kick, tackled well, looked pretty slow, couldnt mark overhead well and baulked beautifully. Looked a good 10 game player. All i know is Simpkin has played 5 years of AFL footy and played down back in every game and is a natural backman. If Siposs is being limited at HBF then surely others will as well. Dal plays on the ball, very occasionally forward and on the bench.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
I dont watch highlights reels. I saw Lennys once. He was an average kick, tackled well, looked pretty slow, couldnt mark overhead well and baulked beautifully. Looked a good 10 game player. All i know is Simpkin has played 5 years of AFL footy and played down back in every game and is a natural backman. If Siposs is being limited at HBF then surely others will as well. Dal plays on the ball, very occasionally forward and on the bench.

Your not a creative type are you. It has always been that way so it must always remain that way. Sam Gilbert better hurry back where he belongs and Maister should go back and play what we recruited him for.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Your not a creative type are you. It has always been that way so it must always remain that way. Sam Gilbert better hurry back where he belongs and Maister should go back and play what we recruited him for.

You dont get it do you? Simpkin is doing well in the backline so why move him. Maister was terrible in the backline so why not move him. Dal is a mid and we are short there so why move him? Siposs is in his third year and is doing pretty well at HB. He is just new to the position and you want to move him. He has already moved. Give him a chance. gibert is going to play HB and wing. Dont know what you are meaning by mentioning his name.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Anything less than a 5-goal win would be a disaster.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:Anything less than a 5-goal win would be a disaster.
After last seasons opener, I'd take a one point win :|

Middo
Club Player

Will be interesting to see what Coach does with Jones , I know our skills were terrible but Jones really stood out again and he was also dropped late last year . I would think Schneider comes in for Jones as we need his foot skills and goal sense and not sure about Kosi as it strikes me as a game where he can bully a young Suns back and maybe kick 4 or 5...Gunna be a pretty humid game temp wise so maybe we run the two rucks of the bench and rely on the three talls being Roo , Kosi and Maister....We will be top heavy but think this may work out ok against the Suns backline ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we shouldn't try and be too cute with our selections just play the best 22 avail and I believe the best 22 will include CJ however not Kosi. I really hope Schnieder is match fit cos he is in our best 10 players and probably our best user, along with Dal.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Will be interesting to see what Coach does with Jones , I know our skills were terrible but Jones really stood out again and he was also dropped late last year . I would think Schneider comes in for Jones as we need his foot skills and goal sense and not sure about Kosi as it strikes me as a game where he can bully a young Suns back and maybe kick 4 or 5...Gunna be a pretty humid game temp wise so maybe we run the two rucks of the bench and rely on the three talls being Roo , Kosi and Maister....We will be top heavy but think this may work out ok against the Suns backline ..
I reckon if we play all of Roo, Kosi, Maister, Mac & Hickey we will be in trouble. They are a young fast side and will punish us if we play 5 slow talls.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:Anything less than a 5-goal win would be a disaster.
Anything less than 4 points would be a disaster.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Middo wrote:Will be interesting to see what Coach does with Jones , I know our skills were terrible but Jones really stood out again and he was also dropped late last year . I would think Schneider comes in for Jones as we need his foot skills and goal sense and not sure about Kosi as it strikes me as a game where he can bully a young Suns back and maybe kick 4 or 5...Gunna be a pretty humid game temp wise so maybe we run the two rucks of the bench and rely on the three talls being Roo , Kosi and Maister....We will be top heavy but think this may work out ok against the Suns backline ..
I reckon if we play all of Roo, Kosi, Maister, Mac & Hickey we will be in trouble. They are a young fast side and will punish us if we play 5 slow talls.
Most definitely. The best setup will always be 4 talls in total....2 x forward & 2 x ruckman (one ruckman resting forward & assisting primary ruckman)....I've got a suspicion that Lee gets an early game as the medium forward despite being quite tall...He's agile enough to play that role if good enough.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Anything less than 4 points would be a disaster.
QFT.

Early games are always dangerous, we often see the upsets occur first few rounds when clubs are finding their feet. I won't be surprised to see the Hawks, Swans, Eagles and the likes drop easy games (so-called) at the beginning of the season.. I'll be happy with a 1 point win over GC.

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

Middo wrote:not sure about Kosi as it strikes me as a game where he can bully a young Suns back and maybe kick 4 or 5...Gunna be a pretty humid game temp wise so maybe we run the two rucks of the bench and rely on the three talls being Roo , Kosi and Maister....We will be top heavy but think this may work out ok against the Suns backline ..
Take a closer look at the Suns' backline - average age 24 - same as our backline unless you include Blake

Broughton and Murphy are seasoned players, Harbrow and Prestia are genuine young guns and Warnock and Thompson are serviceable talls

Think it far more likely that Kosi will be the one getting bullied

Middo
Club Player

Gwilt Edged wrote:
Middo wrote:not sure about Kosi as it strikes me as a game where he can bully a young Suns back and maybe kick 4 or 5...Gunna be a pretty humid game temp wise so maybe we run the two rucks of the bench and rely on the three talls being Roo , Kosi and Maister....We will be top heavy but think this may work out ok against the Suns backline ..
Take a closer look at the Suns' backline - average age 24 - same as our backline unless you include Blake

Broughton and Murphy are seasoned players, Harbrow and Prestia are genuine young guns and Warnock and Thompson are serviceable talls

Think it far more likely that Kosi will be the one getting bullied
Reckon Warnock gets Roo , so Kosi gets Thompson and Murphy goes to Maister ..?
I would be happy with that mix and I think Prestia is more of a mid than a back unless you think he may take one of our smalls ..?
I think we make take a gamble and have Kosi as the go to target in the square ....

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!