Ray & Gilbert best 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ray & Gilbert best 22

Will be very surprised if the young guns can displace either of these 2.
Roberton Ok, Maister looked good but so did Gamble a couple of pre seasons ago!

saint6709
Club Player

Re: Ray & Gilbert best 22

whiskers3614 wrote:Will be very surprised if the young guns can displace either of these 2.
Roberton Ok, Maister looked good but so did Gamble a couple of pre seasons ago!
maister will be good this year gamble was always too small to play the role he was meant to

I'm not yet sold on roberton

Quixote
SS Life Member

I actually thought Roberton was Shenton until the last quarter. Was thinking, He's never gonna make it off the rookie list! Must be said, was also thinking, Gee, he gets it a bit.

So yeah - sorry I can't be more illuminating on the matter.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Maister competed against two GF talls and beat them !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert seemed to play a bit in the middle and on the wing today.

I like him at stoppages, he has good sense of winning the ball in tight.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Gilbert seemed to play a bit in the middle and on the wing today.

He still butchers it something shocking. Can we have two lefty butchers on the ground at one time?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I heard Ray played well?! WTF

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Gilbert seemed to play a bit in the middle and on the wing today.

He still butchers it something shocking. Can we have two lefty butchers on the ground at one time?
I think if it came down to Gilbo v Jones, I'd go with Gilbo because he can play a couple of roles....

Is Jones the other butcher you're referring to?

Think Scott won't play a full on tagger in 2013, showed signs to be giving up on it last year...playing Joey head to head on opposition best mid instead.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I think if it came down to Gilbo v Jones, I'd go with Gilbo because he can play a couple of roles....

Is Jones the other butcher you're referring to?

Think Scott won't play a full on tagger in 2013, showed signs to be giving up on it last year...playing Joey head to head on opposition best mid instead.
Yes, yes and yes. I still would have traded Gilbo after 2010.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Play Jones as a small forward. Apparently we're real short of them!

felix
Club Player

Thought Jones was really good today he made a few mistakes as did most but won plenty of the ball , In our best for sure . Armo BOG ? Geary was great as well .

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Armo BOG ?
I'd agree with that felix...

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Thought Jones was really good today he made a few mistakes as did most but won plenty of the ball , In our best for sure . Armo BOG ? Geary was great as well .
Can somebody just ask Jones to count to 3 whilst looking forward a nd considering options.
Love his hardness and running if only his decision making and disposal could improve even a little.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Michael Gleeson‏@mickgleeson
Watters also liked the game of Seb Ross on Josh Kennedy

Jones v Ross?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Michael Gleeson‏@mickgleeson

Jones v Ross?

I'll take Ross, because he can use the the ball on both sides of his body, actually just because he can use the ball.

Seb is a developing player and by no means top 22 yet, but he's better than CJ.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Jones just gets into every contest that's why he plays still. If anyone could just contest as often as him he would be gone. Roberton was very good. He looks slow and has a plodding gait but can get to where the ball is going to go. He looks like Shenton bred with Simpkin but he was a bit of a general in defence and was instructing his teammates when he left his man to go out to others.

Wright didn't do much but he looks classy doing nothing much. Mc evoy played well at times and does play well when not rucking for a big guy. Ray just tries his arse off although looks messy but deserves a spot. Same with Blakey but might not get a spot. Armo is a beauty his tackling is frightening up close he looks like he's trying to whiplash them, he's so fit now he looks like he's on the Essendon supplements- same with Rhys.

Rhys' speed makes him a great backline option shame about the injury- it happened up the other end of the ground and I thought it was dempster at first. Geary is possibly unhinged- he doesn't seem to have any regard for his own safety.

TDL was really lively as was Saad and Milera at times. Hickey looks a player with massive potential. Beaumeister is a proper defensive minded tall forward option and keeps presenting and will menace plenty of backlines if he does. Gilbert is a nice size and can move and is quick with his hands not hard to see why he gets a game. Fisher and Joey are guns.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Michael Gleeson‏@mickgleeson

Jones v Ross?

I'll take Ross, because he can use the the ball on both sides of his body, actually just because he can use the ball.

Seb is a developing player and by no means top 22 yet, but he's better than CJ.

Seb had about 5 nice touches from where i was watching but was largely unsighted for most of the night, clint was at every contest and backing up over and over- he is messy but he is a work horse and deserves his spot because of the workrate. Melbourne has heaps of good ball users.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think if it came down to Gilbo v Jones, I'd go with Gilbo because he can play a couple of roles.
I thought both were among our best today. Gilbert may have reinvented himself as a winger/onballer

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I must have been at a different game because Gilbert was a dead set liability! Kicking was awful! Just looked lost and twice he butchered a two on one in our favour simply to due lack of game awareness. Based on today, Roberton is streets ahead of him and I really liked Dylan's game. Rarely beaten one on one, did the small things well and understands the game very well - big tick based on today.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tough to get a game in our backline.
Assuming we play a 7 man backline with Siposs as a floater - this is how I rank them . We have 10 good players on the sr list who can play back. So 3 decent blokes have to miss out barring injury. For the record im not including Ray as he is more in the midfielders group.

1. Dempster
2. Fisher
3. Simpkin
4. Geary
5. Gwilt
6. Gilbert
7. Siposs
8. Roberton
9. Stanley
10. Blake

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Tough to get a game in our backline.
Assuming we play a 7 man backline with Siposs as a floater - this is how I rank them . We have 10 good players on the sr list who can play back. So 3 decent blokes have to miss out barring injury. For the record im not including Ray as he is more in the midfielders group.

1. Dempster
2. Fisher
3. Simpkin
4. Geary
5. Gwilt
6. Gilbert
7. Siposs
8. Roberton
9. Stanley
10. Blake
Swap Roberton with Gilbert and you've got it I reckon.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
andrewg
Club Player

gringo wrote:Jones just gets into every contest that's why he plays still. If anyone could just contest as often as him he would be gone. Roberton was very good. He looks slow and has a plodding gait but can get to where the ball is going to go. He looks like Shenton bred with Simpkin but he was a bit of a general in defence and was instructing his teammates when he left his man to go out to others.

Wright didn't do much but he looks classy doing nothing much. Mc evoy played well at times and does play well when not rucking for a big guy. Ray just tries his arse off although looks messy but deserves a spot. Same with Blakey but might not get a spot. Armo is a beauty his tackling is frightening up close he looks like he's trying to whiplash them, he's so fit now he looks like he's on the Essendon supplements- same with Rhys.

Rhys' speed makes him a great backline option shame about the injury- it happened up the other end of the ground and I thought it was dempster at first. Geary is possibly unhinged- he doesn't seem to have any regard for his own safety.

TDL was really lively as was Saad and Milera at times. Hickey looks a player with massive potential. Beaumeister is a proper defensive minded tall forward option and keeps presenting and will menace plenty of backlines if he does. Gilbert is a nice size and can move and is quick with his hands not hard to see why he gets a game. Fisher and Joey are guns.
Agree with all of this except the Wright comment. He was very composed in the last quarter when the game was in the balance, one particular time deep in our back line. He was explosive around the packs and had 20+ touches. While it is a big call, if you haven't seen him play yet he plays very similar to Chris Judd however his kicking needs work. Would not be surprised if he played senior games this year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
gringo wrote:Jones just gets into every contest that's why he plays still. If anyone could just contest as often as him he would be gone. Roberton was very good. He looks slow and has a plodding gait but can get to where the ball is going to go. He looks like Shenton bred with Simpkin but he was a bit of a general in defence and was instructing his teammates when he left his man to go out to others.

Agree with all of this except the Wright comment. He was very composed in the last quarter when the game was in the balance, one particular time deep in our back line. He was explosive around the packs and had 20+ touches. While it is a big call, if you haven't seen him play yet he plays very similar to Chris Judd however his kicking needs work. Would not be surprised if he played senior games this year.

I was behind the goals and didn't realise how many touches he got. Wright obviously was getting more touches up the ground. He did a couple of beautiful things from where I was. happy to be wrong on that.

Vazelos
Club Player

Ray & Gilbert will play plenty of games this year and it will be up to the young developing players to dislodge them & let me tell you some are coming fast.

Wright looked a likely type & Hickey will be a huge player for St Kilda over the next 10 years, i dont think thats a bold statement form what I have seen already.

Saad is a beauty, definately not a one season wonder. Love the options we have up front on the deck; Saad, Milera, TDL & Milney with Schneider at times makes it very interesting in that department. Beau Maister is an excellent tall forward option & will displace Kosi as a starting 22 player. He is not A Grade but he is becoming an excellent Key Position forward for mine & along with Roo & Tommy Lee playing on the 3rd forward at times we have some real options up front. We will kick plenty of goals this year.

We may have found our backman who can take the power forwards in Rys Stanley & I took a huge sigh of relief when it was anounced his knee is ok.
Gwilt will be back to his best this year, Fisher & Dempster are A graders & Simpkin & Geary are excellent players & fierce competitors.

As for the mid field I like the fact Jack Steven is on the verge of taking the next step & Seb Ross will play games this year as he gets use to the physical side of AFL football. Montagn, Hayes & Dal Santo are still at a high level so I am looking forward to this season as everyone has written us off.

Go Saints, its always positive after a win & I hope memberships reflect the positive attitude after this NAB Cup win.