Disposal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

storm51

Disposal

The Saints are looking good but they MUST improve their disposal, you don't like to single out individuals but Clint Jones was diabolical and little Jack not much better. C'mon Saints get it together and can still be a force.
storm51

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disposal

storm51 wrote:The Saints are looking good but they MUST improve their disposal, you don't like to single out individuals but Clint Jones was diabolical and little Jack not much better. C'mon Saints get it together and can still be a force.
storm51
...add gillby and we have a real problem....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Cant see either Jones or Gilbert improving their disposal a whole lot, just hope that the new players coming into the side can lift the the standard

I love this club
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a direct result of the new gameplan.

Ross took the pace out of the game, even the most ordinary of kicks survived because they didn't have to kick so much on the run?

I don't think Raph survived because of his ability to turn it over, it certainly wasn't because he lacked courage...maybe that's a sign of things to come?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I actually commented on Sunday that the bad kicks stand out far more now because the overall standard of hte team has been lifted by the new inclusions. Roberton and Newnes stood out like beacons, and now that Jimmy is back to his old self and with him and Sippa booming it out of the backline it was like watching a different team. Made Gilbo, and CJ look even worse.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I actually commented on Sunday that the bad kicks stand out far more now because the overall standard of hte team has been lifted by the new inclusions. Roberton and Newnes stood out like beacons, and now that Jimmy is back to his old self and with him and Sippa booming it out of the backline it was like watching a different team. Made Gilbo, and CJ look even worse.
That's a really good point...

busso mick
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
True Believer wrote:I actually commented on Sunday that the bad kicks stand out far more now because the overall standard of hte team has been lifted by the new inclusions. Roberton and Newnes stood out like beacons, and now that Jimmy is back to his old self and with him and Sippa booming it out of the backline it was like watching a different team. Made Gilbo, and CJ look even worse.
That's a really good point...
+1

With the exit of Peake, Clarke and Polo our kicking stocks have definitely improved since last year. A comparison to Hawthorn with their cluster of left footers with laser like kicks is what we should be aspiring for. It was a pity that young Crocker couldn't make it as his kicking was a delight. I get extremely frustrated when it takes a lot of work to win a 50/50 ball, only to turn it over with a bad kick and see it come back the other way.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'm very concerned about Gilbert. He has always been a dodgy kick but it now outweighs the good work he does IMO. His kicking has gotten worse while the importance of skills has gone up. Jones has always been a hopeless kick and hasn't been able to tag since early 2010 - simply should not be in the team. Steven is such a good ball winner and has the ability to kick well, but shanks far too many. Jack's spot in the side is safe, but his kicking will determine whether he is a flawed B grader or a gun mid.

jays
Club Player

not much has changed

evo
Club Player

Ledger and Curren spray it anywhere under pressure and Dunnel, Ross and Webster are not far behind. Its are worry because they are our future hope.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ideally every player has perfect disposal but it can be over rated. I still feel the Hawks have gone too far with elite kicking at the detriment to natural ball winners. It's still the missing piece that stops them being a super team.

You don't want to turn over the ball but every other team does it too. The way footy is played now is about pressuring the ball carrier and removing space to work into. Young guys like Ledger should get better with experience as they can get a bit overwhelmed when corraled and do silly things. jack steven too should get better under pressure with more game time.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Ledger and Curren spray it anywhere under pressure and Dunnel, Ross and Webster are not far behind. Its are worry because they are our future hope.
And you know this based on what? :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
evo
Club Player

Observation !

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Observation !
How many times have you seen Webster kick it? You must have been watching Sandy reserves a bit.

evo
Club Player

Saw a few Sandy matches last year.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Saw a few Sandy matches last year.
He was injured for half the year, played at Sandy reserves for most of the rest, played three games for Sandy seniors. Even if you saw all three of those, I reckon that's probably too small a sample size to come to a final conclusion about his disposal.

evo
Club Player

We will see, hope I am wrong though.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

from what I have seen reckon Ross and Dunell can kick well. the nature of play for Ledger and Curren is that some kicks are out of danger in close. Ledger admittedly can panic. however, they both can kick the ball skilfully, and on both feet. think anything here can be fixed.

for me Jones as a tagger I can probably live with. Gilbo is the most frustrating.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:from what I have seen reckon Ross and Dunell can kick well. the nature of play for Ledger and Curren is that some kicks are out of danger in close. Ledger admittedly can panic. however, they both can kick the ball skilfully, and on both feet. think anything here can be fixed.

for me Jones as a tagger I can probably live with. Gilbo is the most frustrating.
Geary is still a worry for me too. First class attitude. Kicking must get better though. Shanked a few on the weekend.

Steven worries me the most, he undoes any good work in winning the ball, by his bad habit of trying to outrun one-too-many opponents and ends up being tackled as he kicks, and then sprays the ball instead of delivering correctly. I hope Watters can break him out of that habit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Steven worries me the most, he undoes any good work in winning the ball, by his bad habit of trying to outrun one-too-many opponents and ends up being tackled as he kicks, and then sprays the ball instead of delivering correctly. I hope Watters can break him out of that habit.

I like how he takes players on. He is fitter again this year so should be able to beat most he takes on. His one problem isnt actually his kicking its his decision making. Goes accros the ground to much which in todays footy is far to risky unless you are a backman and the switch is on nearly every single time.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

We are in a world of trouble if this thread is accurate re poor disposal

In twenty posts we got these names as bad disposers of the ball

Ledger
Curren
Dunnell
Ross
Webster
cj
Gilbert
Geary
Steven

WTF are the recruiters doing if this is the case?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't have Ledger or Dunnell on that list?

Steven just freaks out IMO, more composure that he needs to learn.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I wouldn't have Ledger or Dunnell on that list?

I reckon Ledger's disposal is the reason he doesnt get games. I dont think he is bad kick or handball but he panics or tries to do far to much. It is big season for him as he has a lot of deficiencies IMO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I wouldn't have Ledger or Dunnell on that list?

I reckon Ledger's disposal is the reason he doesnt get games. I dont think he is bad kick or handball but he panics or tries to do far to much. It is big season for him as he has a lot of deficiencies IMO.
It's not because he can't kick though, that was more my point..