Saints review on BomberBlitz

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maxdis 42
Club Player

Saints review on BomberBlitz

I was having a sticky beak on their forum and saw this review about us....
So where to go with a team most assume on the downward path and in the process of starting a rebuild. They had their chance and came very close but just couldn’t get that premiership their fans have wanted for so long. They certainly looked a more exciting team last year but also seem to have lost a little of the structure that made them so competitive under Lyon.

The backline is undermanned. Gilbert can get a job done but there isnt a massive amount of support for him in the KP area. Roberton looks a good pick up but he isn’t a KP player. Fisher, Demptser and Simpkin are a little undersized for mine and will make it hard to get the job done if they play a team who has multiple tall targets. The next question will be the half back line. For so long Gram and Goddard have really set them up from back there and being such quality users of the ball they set them up brilliantly. Hard to see who will take that role now.

The midfield has its problems as well. Hayes is still their most important player but he is 33, with the way he plays you wouldn’t think he has too long left. Armitage has shown signs of stepping up but after 6 years or so in the system he hasn’t shown enough. Jack Steven is a quality player and Nicky Dal is classy but rarely a match winner. Essendon fans will watch Dunnell and Ross with interest and I think both will have an impact this year. Montagna is still there for a bit of run around the outside and you have Jones for tagging but it is a midfield on the decline and one that wont worry too many teams.

The forward line also has worries now. Milne was their leading goal kicker last year. Reiwoldt seems to be feeling his age and has lost a yard. Saad and Milera both looked dangerous but we know historically you need the big men to lead the way to goal and I would think that Reiwoldt and Kosi are definitely on the decline. Stanley looks like he has a lot of potential but is still very raw. It is hard to see this forward line kicking winning scores frequently enough for them to challenge the top teams.

The rucks are thin. McEvoy is a class act. After that Blake was second in hitouts last year. Kosi seems to have lost his leap. I think Hickey was a relatively good pick up but they will be hoping desperately that McEvoy stays fit.

There isn’t a lot to hang your hat on if you are a St Kilda fan. Hard to see them not dropping pretty drastically again this year. They still have some class players who will help them across the line in a few games. I think the Saints will finish somehere around the 11-13 sort of range. Going to be a long slow rebuild.
I know its all about comment and the person has a right to provide their opinion...but really :roll: .........here's hoping we stick it right up them!! :!: :!: I'll stick my hat right up their arse :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints review on BomberBlitz

Cant see too much wrong with that if you are a pessimist. All what he said can be argued.

I tend to think he is wrong on Forwards and rucks, off the mark on the mids, and fairly spot on in the backs.

Bit low 11-13, maybe we should get Dank and Weapon over for some team building, then it wont be long and slow :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a really balanced veiw to me. Maybe the last paragraph isnt right but not much else wrong with it.

bozza1980
Club Player

Not a bad review.

I disagree with his predicted finish, but every year I think we will win the flag.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:Not a bad review.

I disagree with his predicted finish, but every year I think we will win the flag.

forgot about dal santo i think...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Fair assessment, just wonder how they rated Essendon considering by flogged them by 10+ goals last year?

Hopefully the glass is just as half empty with their analysis of Fletcher as they've done with Hayes, etc..

Club Player

Not sure Gilbert is KP back and would definitely argue about Gram being a quality user of the ball.
But everybody entitled to an opinion.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

de ja vous ?

troll ?

In red white and black from 73
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It's an ok review when you consider it's written by an opposition fan for other opposition fans. He's way off about a few things and is probably going on stats too much but a fair bit of what he said is valid. I doubt many here could be much more accurate about any team other than St Kilda.

I share his concern over tall backs, although Gilbert is part of the problem while Fisher is the only one who can really shut down a quality tall forward. Funny that he considers Gram a good user of the ball, there are plenty who can and will do a better job IMO. Siposs is an elite talent and I don't think we'll miss Goddard much at all if Arryn stays fit.

The midfield is much better than he makes out. Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Armitage and Steven make up a solid engine room with support from flankers Ray, Gilbert, Milera, Schneider, Siposs, Newnes and Geary. Then there's three genuine mids coming through in Ledger, Ross and Curren.

I don't think his concerns over the forward line are warranted at all. Riewoldt has another year or two of elite footy left in him as does Milne. We have a ridiculous list of promising small forwards and an array of medium options as well. Then the tall stocks are fine even if there is no stand out; Stanley, Kosi and Beaumaister have all played very good footy at AFL level and we only really the one or two in the best form.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

A pretty good summary and hard to argue with. I have us finishing 13th, as the likes of Richmond and Carlton will most likely leapfrog us, and I see North Melbourne just about holding their ground. Mind you, there won't be a great deal of difference between 13th and 8th. Our draw is far tougher than last year, and our emerging talent cannot be automatically counted on to deliver consistent performances of real worth. Talent wise, are we a stronger unit than last year? There's nothing to suggest we are.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:A pretty good summary and hard to argue with. I have us finishing 13th, as the likes of Richmond and Carlton will most likely leapfrog us, and I see North Melbourne just about holding their ground. Mind you, there won't be a great deal of difference between 13th and 8th. Our draw is far tougher than last year, and our emerging talent cannot be automatically counted on to deliver consistent performances of real worth. Talent wise, are we a stronger unit than last year? There's nothing to suggest we are.

Have a very similar view.

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Reasonably balanced write up.

However I think their view on our forward line is way too harsh.
Beau at the end of last year looked to be a handy third tall.
Roo should still be good. So with Kosi, Stanly, Beau and Lee our talls should be good.
Saad should be more well rounded in his second year. Milne still looks good...and what about Schneider whom they seem to have forgotten. Add in Milera and others.

That all equals a well rounded forward line with good depth to it.

It is the other parts of our team that I have question marks on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Glass completely realistic, not half-full or empty. 6-10 wins depending on injuries & luck I would think, top 8 would be a great result at this point in time.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Talent wise, are we a stronger unit than last year? There's nothing to suggest we are.

Oh but there is... -Hickey, Lee and TDL for starters
-A fit Schneider, Gwilt and Stanley (hopefully) second
- A solid pre-season for saad, milera, newnes third
- And finally... this is the first pre-season since '08 that we've avoided controversy... that's gotta count for something!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

absolutely! we've had a tremendous pre-season. Watters first with coaching staff settled in. Seaford settled in. Young bucks in Ross, Wright, Ledger, Ferguson all pushing the older blokes. AND the trips to Colorado and NZ plus some of the community stuff. only black eye is Markworth injury. we're in a happy place. I'm enjoying it.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, what would he know, unless he's been to training sessions, the practice match, or has some source of knowledge from within the club? The so-called preview reads more like a review from the end of last year. This is why even the so-called experts are usually off the mark with their preseason prognostications. The truth is, very few people are in a position to make an accurate assessment of where we're at right now, let alone predict where we'll finish. I'm willing to bet he's no insider and is making the standard generalisations about our list, based on commonly held opinions by fellow opposition supporters. There's enough evidence in there to suggest he has very little idea about the talent on our list, let alone the individual stages of development. A bold try, but a D- at best.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought the summary was quite fair, especially since it was coming from an Essendon supporter. I dont entirely agree with it though.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Fair assessment, just wonder how they rated Essendon considering by flogged them by 10+ goals last year?
Good point.

We've also addressed several of the potential problems he's pointed out with Hickey and Lee and he fails to mention players such as Siposs, Maister and Newnes.

We may be able to sneak under the radar a bit if this is the general feeling among opposition clubs.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Seriously, what would he know, unless he's been to training sessions, the practice match, or has some source of knowledge from within the club? The so-called preview reads more like a review from the end of last year. This is why even the so-called experts are usually off the mark with their preseason prognostications. The truth is, very few people are in a position to make an accurate assessment of where we're at right now, let alone predict where we'll finish. I'm willing to bet he's no insider and is making the standard generalisations about our list, based on commonly held opinions by fellow opposition supporters. There's enough evidence in there to suggest he has very little idea about the talent on our list, let alone the individual stages of development. A bold try, but a D- at best.
No doubt this is posted by a troll but…

I don't think he's trying to pass being the chief football writer of a major newspaper… just a fan of another team trying to place us on the ladder against their side for this year…

Do you think the 11-13 range is way off the mark?

We do have a big problem in the backline - no FB, our midfield depth is shallow, our ruck stocks were disgraceful last year, hopefully Hickey helps… Our best 2 key forwards are 30+ one a fading star with a degenerative knee, the other so slow he was in the 2's by the end of last year…

Maister, TDL, Roberton, Hickey & Lee probably aren't going to get it (top 4) done this year

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Too early to call. I think we could finish anywhere from 6th to 12th depending on luck and injuries, but what would I know? All I'm saying is it's a fairly crappy, shallow analysis, in which he clearly demonstrates he has little insight or knowledge of our list. Just another piece of footy flotsam and jetsum, floating through the ether. I really look forward to see some in depth analysis from the so-called experts. At least wait to see some exposed form in the NAB cup. Otherwise, you ay as well ask the cat for an opinion, FWIW INMHO.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Too early to call. I think we could finish anywhere from 6th to 12th depending on luck and injuries, but what would I know? All I'm saying is it's a fairly crappy, shallow analysis, in which he clearly demonstrates he has little insight or knowledge of our list. Just another piece of footy flotsam and jetsum, floating through the ether. I really look forward to see some in depth analysis from the so-called experts. At least wait to see some exposed form in the NAB cup. Otherwise, you ay as well ask the cat for an opinion, FWIW INMHO.

The problem is a lot of these analysis from the so called experts have to be done before the the pre season games and the other thing is as much as they know a lot about footy they arent going to know as much as a very informed supporter because they have to comment on 18 clubs and we have only one to look at. And IMO the pre season is only a poor cousin of a normal seasons game. I thought the guy did pretty well considering he isnt going to spend 10 hours a week on a Saints footy site to see how we are looking in pre season.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

maxdis 42 wrote:I was having a sticky beak on their forum and saw this review about us....
So where to go with a team most assume on the downward path and in the process of starting a rebuild. They had their chance and came very close but just couldn’t get that premiership their fans have wanted for so long. They certainly looked a more exciting team last year but also seem to have lost a little of the structure that made them so competitive under Lyon.

The backline is undermanned. Gilbert can get a job done but there isnt a massive amount of support for him in the KP area. Roberton looks a good pick up but he isn’t a KP player. Fisher, Demptser and Simpkin are a little undersized for mine and will make it hard to get the job done if they play a team who has multiple tall targets. The next question will be the half back line. For so long Gram and Goddard have really set them up from back there and being such quality users of the ball they set them up brilliantly. Hard to see who will take that role now.

The midfield has its problems as well. Hayes is still their most important player but he is 33, with the way he plays you wouldn’t think he has too long left. Armitage has shown signs of stepping up but after 6 years or so in the system he hasn’t shown enough. Jack Steven is a quality player and Nicky Dal is classy but rarely a match winner. Essendon fans will watch Dunnell and Ross with interest and I think both will have an impact this year. Montagna is still there for a bit of run around the outside and you have Jones for tagging but it is a midfield on the decline and one that wont worry too many teams.

The forward line also has worries now. Milne was their leading goal kicker last year. Reiwoldt seems to be feeling his age and has lost a yard. Saad and Milera both looked dangerous but we know historically you need the big men to lead the way to goal and I would think that Reiwoldt and Kosi are definitely on the decline. Stanley looks like he has a lot of potential but is still very raw. It is hard to see this forward line kicking winning scores frequently enough for them to challenge the top teams.

The rucks are thin. McEvoy is a class act. After that Blake was second in hitouts last year. Kosi seems to have lost his leap. I think Hickey was a relatively good pick up but they will be hoping desperately that McEvoy stays fit.

There isn’t a lot to hang your hat on if you are a St Kilda fan. Hard to see them not dropping pretty drastically again this year. They still have some class players who will help them across the line in a few games. I think the Saints will finish somehere around the 11-13 sort of range. Going to be a long slow rebuild.
I know its all about comment and the person has a right to provide their opinion...but really :roll: .........here's hoping we stick it right up them!! :!: :!: I'll stick my hat right up their arse :shock:
Can't really argue with that synopsis....
We are definitely rebuilding the list, but are we recruiting anything top shelf, which we will need to help us climb again........

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Think it will be hard to get an in depth analysis of our future from anyone at this stage because the guys we are looking to, no-one has seen enough of…

Saad looks the real deal… imo

Siposs, Newnes showing the right signs…

but Dunell, Ross, Ledger, even Milera we really don't know enough yet…

Hickey, TDL, Roberton have been just okay elsewhere so far…

Lee, Markworth, Ferguson and the new draftees… we still wouldn't have a clue what they will look like if they ever get a run at the top level.

The next core of Armo, Steven, Mac, Geary, Simpkin are solid, but none are really looking genuine stars… and stanley, well he's just a tease at this stage.

Our biggest issue now is that our best 7 or so players have a year or two left… while a big chunk of the rest of the list are still a few years away from their best.

paddy
Club Player

For an opposition supporter, that is a pretty unbiased review....

so good on them, i can only imagine what i would write if asked to write an article about the dons, it certainly wouldn't be as kind as that was...

lol

jays
Club Player

lol really