What Must Goddard be Thinking Now???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kos
Club Player

Re: What Must Goddard be Thinking Now???

If they are found guilty what are the real possibilities for punishment?

Really you couldn't ban a whole squad from playing, maybe start their next 2 seasons with minus 20 points putting them 5 games behind the rest of the comp and shifting their draft picks to the end of each round for those 2 seasons. Thoughts?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:If they are found guilty what are the real possibilities for punishment?

Really you couldn't ban a whole squad from playing, maybe start their next 2 seasons with minus 20 points putting them 5 games behind the rest of the comp and shifting their draft picks to the end of each round for those 2 seasons. Thoughts?
yes if the punishment were to come from the afl however it wont. the investigation and the punishment given will come from the anti-doping agency who won't care what's in the best interests of the afl or the competition.

Gershwin
Club Player

ASADA will decide the penalty for each player found guilty of doping. It could be 18 months or 2 years who knows. If there are enough players that Essendon can't field a team then I guess they forfeit and they decide who to delist at the end of the year.

summertime and the living is easy ........
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
paddy wrote:No Chance they would remove a side from the comp, nor will they ban any of their players.... it will be swept under the rug with fines and good behavior bonds etc....

The very most they will get pinged will maybe be loss of draft picks, but that wont happen either IMO
I agree, the AFL lacks the balls to actually crack down on that and other clubs.

You actually dont understand the performance enhancing drug code do you? What has the AFL got to do with this?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: What has the AFL got to do with this?
A lot less than even they would have us believe. As the controlling body, they will be the first contact point for ASADA, meaning that ASADA will report their findings to the AFL prior to making these, and any sanctions public. The only dealings ASADA will have with Essendon will be for INVESTIGATION PURPOSES ONLY. Like I've said in other posts, once ASADA is involved ASADA takes COMPLETE CONTROL of the investigation. Brett Clothier (AFL Investigation Officer) might go along for the ride, but with NO REAL AUTHORITY !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
A lot less than even they would have us believe. As the controlling body, they will be the first contact point for ASADA, meaning that ASADA will report their findings to the AFL prior to making these, and any sanctions public. The only dealings ASADA will have with Essendon will be for INVESTIGATION PURPOSES ONLY. Like I've said in other posts, once ASADA is involved ASADA takes COMPLETE CONTROL of the investigation. Brett Clothier (AFL Investigation Officer) might go along for the ride, but with NO REAL AUTHORITY !!

I am not 100% sure but cant the AFL give the penalties and if ASADA agree then that is what they will get or do ASADA have the only say in the penalties? Either way ASADA basically get what they want.

St Lenny
Club Player

I hope BJ is regretting his decision, when you choose money over loyalty it can bite you on the bum.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:

I am not 100% sure but cant the AFL give the penalties and if ASADA agree then that is what they will get or do ASADA have the only say in the penalties? Either way ASADA basically get what they want.
I think it will be a case of ASADA determining any penalty and the AFL delivering/administering that penalty !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:

I think it will be a case of ASADA determining any penalty and the AFL delivering/administering that penalty !!

Thanks.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
paddy wrote:No Chance they would remove a side from the comp, nor will they ban any of their players.... it will be swept under the rug with fines and good behavior bonds etc....

The very most they will get pinged will maybe be loss of draft picks, but that wont happen either IMO

So ASADA which is connected to WADA will let the AFL do what they like but Lance Armstrong, one of the biggest names in the world, gets banned for life. It will not be up to the AFL. It is up to ASADA.
Finally we agree on something. It is not the AFL's choice whether or not to go hard or give them a slap on the wrist. If, and it is still if, there has been any wrongdoing, there will be a mountain of penalties coming their way, and it will hit them very hard. Of course in any case such as this there is and must always be the presumption of innocence, but watching their panel on the news last night and listening to our ex-coach on the radio this morning tells me that they are worried that something has gone down.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Goddard probably has legal grounds to ask for his contract with Essendon to be nullified on the grounds that they failed to disclose the potential negatives that would reduce the likelyhood of success.

But why would he? He can stay with the bummers, count his cash and play golf.

Richter
SS Life Member

I have only a smidgen of feeling for BJ, based on the memories of 10 years of service. The bloke I have most sympathy for is Jobe Watson. Their equivalent of Lenny. Top fella, admired by Bombers and opposition supporters alike. Even if 39 of their list are rubbed out I hope he isn't and he gets to keep little Chas Brownlow.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Who paid for his education at Xavier Richter? We endured one of the worst seasons I have ever seen as a 45 year old St Kilda supporter (and I have seen plenty, believe you me) in 2000 when his father coached us. And he was on a very good wicket thanks to Plympton who sacked Stan unfairly.
As St Kilda supporters who bought memberships and supported the club during the Watson years I don't feel sorry for Jobe at all. We have paid enough.
That is all.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

So as to be consistent with my naturally contrary nature :wink: ... I'm taking an alternative view to all this re BJ...

If things blow up 'suitably' (as I hope they will :twisted: )...
Up to 80% of Effndum players on this 'stuff'...
Any that weren't almost certainly fringe players on low $$$...
Salary cap ~$10mil, of which ~94% has to be paid...
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Oh to be BJ...
EFC captain, B&F winner, best clubman award, most improved award..., ay-and...,

could lay claim to maybe $8-9mil of that salary cap that needs to be paid each season...? :mrgreen:

Sheer genius by BJ's manager, who clearly had wind of what Effndum were up to. :idea:

Oh, and where did The Pharmicist and The Weapon (and Bummer Thompson) come from before Effndum...?

Yep, the Hillbillies...

Have we been dudded again...? What a bummer.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Richter
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:Who paid for his education at Xavier Richter? We endured one of the worst seasons I have ever seen as a 45 year old St Kilda supporter (and I have seen plenty, believe you me) in 2000 when his father coached us. And he was on a very good wicket thanks to Plympton who sacked Stan unfairly.
As St Kilda supporters who bought memberships and supported the club during the Watson years I don't feel sorry for Jobe at all. We have paid enough.
That is all.
Good point. OTOH, him being such a crap coach led us to getting picks 1 and 2 in the 2000 draft. Tim Watson is directly responsible for Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke coming to the club... :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WHo cares what he thinks

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Who paid for his education at Xavier Richter? We endured one of the worst seasons I have ever seen as a 45 year old St Kilda supporter (and I have seen plenty, believe you me) in 2000 when his father coached us. And he was on a very good wicket thanks to Plympton who sacked Stan unfairly.
That is all.

So lets get this straight. We shouldnt like Jobe because our club, yes our club, picked Tim to coach us. A person who had no experience in coaching at all so unless he lied to them about experience and we didnt follow it up to me it is our clubs fault he coached us. I have no idea why you wouldnt like his Son because our club picked his Dad to coach.

I too like Jobe. Havent met him but comes across as nice guy and I also really like Tim. Heard him on SEN for about 8 years now and he seems like a nice guy and a very funny man.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:I have only a smidgen of feeling for BJ, based on the memories of 10 years of service. The bloke I have most sympathy for is Jobe Watson. Their equivalent of Lenny. Top fella, admired by Bombers and opposition supporters alike. Even if 39 of their list are rubbed out I hope he isn't and he gets to keep little Chas Brownlow.
...unless he's shown to have cheated to win the Brownlow.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I'd doubt Goddard would have any regrets.
Afterall, he ONLY went for the money and that's still there. He must have known about this controversy when he signed up with them. Us mug punters didn't but players, Adrian Andreson and some media like Gerard Healy were aware.
I'd be amazed if most AFL players didn't know.
To me it really spells out clearly what Goddard's motive was and it wasn't a better chance at a premiership.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

That is all.
Drawing a very long bow there. :?

wolfpup
Club Player

howlinwolf wrote:I'd doubt Goddard would have any regrets.
Afterall, he ONLY went for the money and that's still there. He must have known about this controversy when he signed up with them. Us mug punters didn't but players, Adrian Andreson and some media like Gerard Healy were aware.
I'd be amazed if most AFL players didn't know.
To me it really spells out clearly what Goddard's motive was and it wasn't a better chance at a premiership.

didnt think of that and its a valid point

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
That is all.

So lets get this straight. We shouldnt like Jobe because our club, yes our club, picked Tim to coach us. A person who had no experience in coaching at all so unless he lied to them about experience and we didnt follow it up to me it is our clubs fault he coached us. I have no idea why you wouldnt like his Son because our club picked his Dad to coach.

I too like Jobe. Havent met him but comes across as nice guy and I also really like Tim. Heard him on SEN for about 8 years now and he seems like a nice guy and a very funny man.
Didn't Tim forgo his money for the last year of his contract, where at least a payout was due.
My memories of him are; poor coach, honorable guy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Tim Watson looks to me to be playing the they didn't know card. It has ben revealed that WADA and ASADA have the discretionary power to let players off if they were accidentally or with out their knowledge administered drugs. thats why everyone from Warne to cyclists say they had no idea of what happened to find a positive test.

Watson has started to protect his club over the legal system and is using his position for a campaign to clear his clubs liability. i find it hard to believe that there isn't a lot of administrators there that knew what was happening. The stories of this have been coming- Essendon got on the front foot when they were cornered IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He did make a selfish decision.... His right

He has to live with it......

I hope Essendon is bought to their knees..... and he sees NO success there..

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Tim Watson looks to me to be playing the they didn't know card.
More than that, he seems to be playing the "criminal culpability on the part of club staff" card. He's suggesting that Jobe was told what was being injected, was happy with it, and then Danks or Robinson or whoever injected something completely different. That would surely be some sort of criminal offence?