Illicit drug loophole - which club?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Illicit drug loophole - which club?

Eastern wrote:I'd be VERY SUPRISED if it was just Collingwood and it is ONLY 4 players !!

Of course there would be many more and it would probably be every club. I think that loophole will be closed tomorrow. I suppose the question that has to be asked is should the AFL even test for these type of drugs. I think they should myself but I can see other peoples point of view if thet said they shouldnt.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:I'd be VERY SUPRISED if it was just Collingwood and it is ONLY 4 players !!

Of course there would be many more and it would probably be every club. I think that loophole will be closed tomorrow. I suppose the question that has to be asked is should the AFL even test for these type of drugs. I think they should myself but I can see other peoples point of view if thet said they shouldnt.
All clubs nation-wide have players taking recreational drugs.

All workplaces nation-wide have employees taking recreational drugs.

So be it. Just don't let it f*** up your performance as I am a paying customer via membership and expect the club that I support to be good enough not to get into crap like that.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

It just surprises me that 4 players from one club self report - they take advantage of the loop hole without any advice from the club ? Doubt it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:It just surprises me that 4 players from one club self report - they take advantage of the loop hole without any advice from the club ? Doubt it.
No Eddie said he has no idea at all about it. Why wouldn't you believe him! :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It was always going to be Druggywood the way Pert was carrying on, that filth lot talk in riddles when it's there own dung heap.

They moralise when it's someone else's problem....

never mind Ed......maybe you can sign up Pfizer as a sponsor of your state of the art training centre....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
bungiton
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
bungiton wrote:A certain player from the club not mentioned turned up to his home town footy club presentation and dropped party biscuits in front of a number of people, only drama I have with it is when he was offering it to my then 15 yo daughter
Which club?
Sorry I haven't been sooner but it was a Collingwood player and I'd probably get steel shoved in my bottom or side if I name the player

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

A few questions?

Are the Pies on the front foot, because they know what's really going on with their players? Why on earth would a Collingwood CEO make such bold statements, otherwise?

Did Adrian Anderson bail out because he knew the shite was going to hit the fan over drugs in the game?

Was Franklin's mystery 6-week injury last year anything other than an injury. Oh, but most players need rehab to get over an injury.

Are Richmond's recent comments regarding Dustin Martin anything to do with his white line fever?

In my opinion, the AFL is doing everything in it's power to hid the truth from the public, and had gone very soft on some players and clubs in order to protect the image of the game.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:In my opinion, the AFL is doing everything in it's power to hid the truth from the public, and had gone very soft on some players and clubs in order to protect the image of the game.
"Some" clubs? If it's happening then it's all clubs, don't delude yourself that there are no Saints players who take recreational drugs.

oh when the
Club Player

What about the swans player who said the afl had a drug problem
And was howled down and finished up quitting footy

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think you're referring to Dale Lewis, who was working in the media at the time. Demetriou made sure he lost his job over those comments. Lewis was stitched up for telling the hard truth.

oh when the
Club Player

Yep Dale deserves an apology

SunburySaint
Club Player

bungiton wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
bungiton wrote:A certain player from the club not mentioned turned up to his home town footy club presentation and dropped party biscuits in front of a number of people, only drama I have with it is when he was offering it to my then 15 yo daughter
Which club?
Sorry I haven't been sooner but it was a Collingwood player and I'd probably get steel shoved in my bottom or side if I name the player
I see what you did there....

Now lives in Geelong...
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There are a number of misinformed posters on this issue who should think twice before posting. It can't be that hard to get some basic knowledge on the topic before expressing ill informed and non sensical views on an issue that involves ALL clubs.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
jays
Club Player

lol pies

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Which club?
ha ha well played

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i cant believe the aflpa actually agreed to off season testing

what kind of morale crusade are they on ffs?
why should benny gale or luke ball or whoever the f*** is leading the aflpa care what the f*** i do during the off season?

might have worked on the car all day, done an engine change over
might have been in the yard all week, mowing weeding and planting etc
might have sat around and scratched my ass for 3 days watching movies
i then relaxed with a cold beer and smoked a joint

why the f*** should they care that i smoked a f****** join during the off season?
why the hell should they care that i decided to grab out the crack pipe and smoke some ice?

idiots, fancy agreeing to that ffs

its simple
every game a dozen or so players are randomly picked and tested test positive to what ever is on the banned drugs list youre gone

its not f****** hard is it
if you wanted the drugs out the sport you wouldnt of had the loop hole in the agreement
and dont go try to tell me the loophole was there so they could look after players that want to come out and get help
thye have shite loads of education and offer shite loads of help as an administration

the loophole was there becasue they know its rife
they know that some big named stars do drugs and do them lots

absolute farce

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i cant believe the aflpa actually agreed to off season testing

why should benny gale or luke ball or whoever the f*** is leading the aflpa care what the f*** i do during the off season?

why the f*** should they care that i smoked a f****** join during the off season?
why the hell should they care that i decided to grab out the crack pipe and smoke some ice?

its simple
every game a dozen or so players are randomly picked and tested test positive to what ever is on the banned drugs list youre gone

if you wanted the drugs out the sport you wouldnt of had the loop hole in the agreement
and dont go try to tell me the loophole was there so they could look after players that want to come out and get help
thye have shite loads of education and offer shite loads of help as an administration

absolute farce
The problem seems to be a bit more serious than smoking an ocassional joint. Unless you're trying to be sarcastic, the next point you make is bloody silly.

I do not understand the distinction you make between the regular and off season.

Education won't solve this problem alone.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:I think you're referring to Dale Lewis, who was working in the media at the time. Demetriou made sure he lost his job over those comments. Lewis was stitched up for telling the hard truth.

So you think 70% of footballers take drugs? It was way over the top but also way over the top is only 1% take them as well. My guess is about half the normal population percentage.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No I don't think more than 70% take drugs, and probably not during Dale Lewis's time in the game. My point is that people high up in the the AFL scoffed at (and took offence at) the mere fact that Lewis said that players were taking recreational drugs. Lewis was a popular player who was in the actual AFL system and was in a position to make a call on what he had seen. He wasn't being mischievous, but responding to a question someone put to him. He lost his job for being honest. Some people keep their high paid jobs in the AFL for being dishonest.

Unfortunately, recreational drug use is commonplace among 18 to 35 year-olds these days. Why would it not be among AFL players, who have plenty of spare time and cash compared to most people their age? I'd day your suggested figure of 50% would be unsurprising within the AFL and is probably close to the mark.

Although I've suggested that Eddie Maguire has gone on the front foot because he knows his club has a problem, I'm glad that he and Gary Pert have done so, as it's definitely a problem across the board. Why was it reported on this site that Sam Fisher was in Thailand and not at pre-season training? After recent newspaper reports, that worries me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:No I don't think more than 70% take drugs, and probably not during Dale Lewis's time in the game. My point is that people high up in the the AFL scoffed at (and took offence at) the mere fact that Lewis said that players were taking recreational drugs. Lewis was a popular player who was in the actual AFL system and was in a position to make a call on what he had seen. He wasn't being mischievous, but responding to a question someone put to him. He lost his job for being honest. Some people keep their high paid jobs in the AFL for being dishonest.

Unfortunately, recreational drug use is commonplace among 18 to 35 year-olds these days. Why would it not be among AFL players, who have plenty of spare time and cash compared to most people their age? I'd day your suggested figure of 50% would be unsurprising within the AFL and is probably close to the mark.

Although I've suggested that Eddie Maguire has gone on the front foot because he knows his club has a problem, I'm glad that he and Gary Pert have done so, as it's definitely a problem across the board. Why was it reported on this site that Sam Fisher was in Thailand and not at pre-season training? After recent newspaper reports, that worries me.

Firstly was Dale Lewis sacked from his job because of what he said? I have never seen or heard that before. And because Lewis said such a ridiculous figure he was scoffed at. Maybe if he said 10-20% people would have listened. There is no way it would be near 50%. I never suggested that figure or maybe I did if that is the national average They may have the money but I doubt they would be anywhere near the national average. They are elite sports people and that is why they drink no where near what they previously did. I dont think you can then assume they take drugs because they cant drink.

I have no idea about the Sam Fisher. I said he was in Thailand but it was their break. He was there for a wedding. I cant see a problem with that.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i cant believe the aflpa actually agreed to off season testing

its simple

absolute farce
WHY? Because the AFL give the AFLPA around $12Mill pa to run their association/programs. What the AFL wants from the AFLPA, the AFL gets !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Maybe my timing was wrong about Fisher, but I recall the post about him being in Thailand was in a period when the rest of the players were in full training. Glad to hear his absence was for a wedding.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Maybe my timing was wrong about Fisher, but I recall the post about him being in Thailand was in a period when the rest of the players were in full training. Glad to hear his absence was for a wedding.

Reece Carters wedding. Matt Ferguson was also there as well as Grammy and the 2 Pendlebury's. Not sure that will fill you with confidence.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Gotta love Demetriou - on 3AW he said he was unaware of how many players had self-reported - he then says the loophole is not being abused to the extent reported based on the briefings I have had from our medical officers,"

How the hell can he not know how many players have self reported given he apparently knows the loophole is not being abused as per the briefing by his medical officers - surely that's the first question you ask - How many players have self reported??

Sprung bad flat out lying!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Which club?
The Goulburn Valley Highway between Kialla & Yaroweah is a nice drive !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!