Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

ROLS-LEE wrote:
With all said and done i hope he improves, but at this point of time he needed to work on his game and not worry about being captain.
Arrhh, don't ya just love the old cliche! Let the young fella focus on only one thing at a time..lol..Being captain and the extra responsibility COULD actually improve his game. Who knows..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im amazed that NDS is kind of respected on this site but in a lukewarm kind of way. (whereas everyone is gaga for roo)
NDS is massively under rated as a player and bloke and leader imho.
Cops a tough tag every week. is consistent against good sides and usually steps up when we are losing. often alone. and we all remember who ross chose to tag when we played freo.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Im amazed that NDS is kind of respected on this site but in a lukewarm kind of way. (whereas everyone is gaga for roo)
Cops a tough tag every week. is consistent against good sides and usually steps up when we are losing. often alone. and we all remember who ross chose to tag when we played freo.
That's a good idea, let's choose the captain, based on who Ross tagged when we played fremantle last year. :D

Superstar
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Superstar wrote:
Eastern wrote:Roo for this year. Give it to Benny next year and let him grow into the job !!
The only issue with this is, I think the team are in for some tough years, and Ben is still trying to find his place in the game. Wouldn't mind seeing another captain in between Roo and Ben. Whether it be Dal, Joey or even Lenny for a year or two, with Ben and Armo as vice captains. Then make the change.

I just look at Melbourne with Trengrove and Grimes.
Why would the club give the gig to Lenny when he only has one or two years left? It defies the purpose of a change and it would be a slap in the face to Roo who has been a good captain for us.
They wouldn't. I would have Lenny as an option only if Roo wanted to step aside/retire in the next year. It wouldn't surprise me if Lenny ended up playing longer then Roo. Reckon the injuries catch up to the big guys quicker. Especially with how much ground he covers.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Im amazed that NDS is kind of respected on this site but in a lukewarm kind of way. (whereas everyone is gaga for roo)
That's a good idea, let's choose the captain, based on who Ross tagged when we played fremantle last year. :D
yeah thats what i said!

1. i think the leadership group players should choose the skipper - so its their call.
2. i was just trying to bring the thread back on topic instead of arguing over ruckean - especially when most of us haven even seen hickey play yet....
3. was just saying nds doesnt get as much love on here as maybe i think he should. we all kind of take him for granted maybe.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You said that I said Ben was better than Cox and Sandilands. Funny you forgot to put in words like at their age. Of course that doesnt change what I said. Not much. makes it a totally dofferent statement. It is pathetic that both you and evo are resorting to lying or telling untruths to prove a point. When Ben was Cox age he had much better stats than Cox. I would guess he had much better than Sandilands as well. Now instead of lying prove me wrong with some sort of fact.
You accuse people of being on drugs and then you come out with rubbish like this.
I assume you mean when Cox was Ben's age because Cox is older than Ben.

Cox in 2004 at 22/23
Disposals 13.6
Hit Outs 22.3
Goals 0.2
Marks 5.1
Brownlow votes 5

Sandilands in 2006 23
Disposals 12.8
Hit Outs 24.6
Goals 0.3
Brownlow votes 5
Marks 4.6

Ben in 2012 22/23
Disposals 12.3
Hit Outs 25.3
Goals 0.4
Brownlow votes 0
Marks 5.3

Where is Ben much better?

He isn't. The key point with the stats that you provided is brownlow votes. Both potentially had 5 great games in the umpires eyes. Ben has never been dominate in a game and very rarely beats his opponent.
To put it bluntly, no opposition fears him the same way as a cox or sandilands.
With all said and done i hope he improves, but at this point of time he needed to work on his game and not worry about being captain.

Well isnt that amazing. The key point is brownlow votes. Well why shouldnt I be surprised you would pick that stat. And to think the discussion was about hit outs. Funny you didnt pick that stat. My point is ben was as good as them and I still say better at thir age and look how good those 2 have been since. If you were following their side you would have wanted another ruckman to replace both of them before they reached their full potential. And Kosi I said a person would be on drugs if they thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Superstar wrote:
They wouldn't. I would have Lenny as an option only if Roo wanted to step aside/retire in the next year. It wouldn't surprise me if Lenny ended up playing longer then Roo. Reckon the injuries catch up to the big guys quicker. Especially with how much ground he covers.

oooh, interesting call. big call. Lets see what happens.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When Ben was Cox age he had much better stats than Cox. I would guess he had much better than Sandilands as well. Now instead of lying prove me wrong with some sort of fact.

My point is ben was as good as them and I still say better at thir age and look how good those 2 have been since. If you were following their side you would have wanted another ruckman to replace both of them before they reached their full potential. And Kosi I said a person would be on drugs if they thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now.
You actually said Ben had much better stats, at least I think so but you mangled that sentence so much who knows? But you can never be wrong if you keep claiming you didn't say stuff even when you did.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When Ben was Cox age he had much better stats than Cox. I would guess he had much better than Sandilands as well. Now instead of lying prove me wrong with some sort of fact.

My point is ben was as good as them and I still say better at thir age and look how good those 2 have been since. If you were following their side you would have wanted another ruckman to replace both of them before they reached their full potential. And Kosi I said a person would be on drugs if they thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now.
You actually said Ben had much better stats, at least I think so but you mangled that sentence so much who knows? But you can never be wrong if you keep claiming you didn't say stuff even when you did.
I would have thought both were second rucks not the only ruckman so afforded more time on the ball so stats should be higher for Ben. He might still be a gun but hard to measure when he has played as the primary ruck compared to being a second string ruck.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Have no idea why you have it in for me but I happy to admit when I am wrong. I have no idea about the stats part. May have said it. I know I said I thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands at his age. I stick by it. Its only an opinion anyway. I never said Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now and said a person who thinks that must be on drugs.

Im sorry for sticking up for a player who I think has done a great job for someone so young. I mean it really is illogical thinking Hickey will be first ruckman at the end of the year based on about 98% of ruckmen over the last 20 years. Cant remember to many ruckmen being first ruck after their 3rd year.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have no idea why you have it in for me but I happy to admit when I am wrong. I have no idea about the stats part. May have said it. I know I said I thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands at his age. I stick by it. Its only an opinion anyway. I never said Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now and said a person who thinks that must be on drugs.

Im sorry for sticking up for a player who I think has done a great job for someone so young. I mean it really is illogical thinking Hickey will be first ruckman at the end of the year based on about 98% of ruckmen over the last 20 years. Cant remember to many ruckmen being first ruck after their 3rd year.
I don't have it in for you, I actually think you are the second most insightful poster here. There are probably more insightful posters but I don't read long posts.

But you apply such harsh standards to other posters, you should apply them to yourself sometimes.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't have it in for you, I actually think you are the second most insightful poster here. There are probably more insightful posters but I don't read long posts.

But you apply such harsh standards to other posters, you should apply them to yourself sometimes.
That must make me the most insightful yeah?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Wasn't Spider Burton their number 1 ruck then???

What's not to prove. Gardner was in AA form. There is a good possibility that Ben won't even get nominated.

Name a GF winning team plugger without a dominate ruck bar hawks in 08 .
Sydney 2012.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I take it you are number one?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Naturally.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Roo can certainly have it for another year.

His leadership is up there with the best in the AFL and I just love him.

Therefore with his leadership and my love = captain.

Who else can really take over?

People ramble about Big Mac however I wouldn't mind a season of him not getting slaughtered most weeks in the ruck before we make him captain.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

CURLY wrote:

What's not to prove. Gardner was in AA form. There is a good possibility that Ben won't even get nominated.

Sydney 2012.

So you dont rate Mumford then.

Mike Pyke Sydneys second string ruckmen, that has played 46 games and was never a footballer until he came to Australia has stats similar to Ben McEvoy

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:Roo can certainly have it for another year.

His leadership is up there with the best in the AFL and I just love him.

Therefore with his leadership and my love = captain.

Who else can really take over?

People ramble about Big Mac however I wouldn't mind a season of him not getting slaughtered most weeks in the ruck before we make him captain.

Exactly.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Sydney 2012.

Mike Pyke Sydneys second string ruckmen, that has played 46 games and was never a footballer until he came to Australia has stats similar to Ben McEvoy

Both had little influence in the Grand Final.

Also your being silly now comparing Pyke to McEvoy.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Name a GF winning team plugger without a dominate ruck bar hawks in 08 .[/quote]

Sydney 2012.[/quote]

Mike Pyke Sydneys second string ruckmen, that has played 46 games and was never a footballer until he came to Australia has stats similar to Ben McEvoy[/quote]

Both had little influence in the Grand Final.

Also your being silly now comparing Pyke to McEvoy.[/quote]

Both Pyke and Mumford beat their opposition in the GF.

How is that silly, the stats are very comparable between the two and he is second fiddle with less time on the field

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Pyke competed well but he was far from being in the top dozen on the ground for Sydney and Mumford was subbed off. Both where beaten by close to the worst ruck duo going around.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Pyke competed well but he was far from being in the top dozen on the ground for Sydney and Mumford was subbed off. Both where beaten by close to the worst ruck duo going around.

Cant agree there. Pyke was very good in the GF. Have no idea what any of this has to do with Ben though apart from prove you dont need to be a great ruckman to play well in a GF.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Pyke competed well but he was far from being in the top dozen on the ground for Sydney and Mumford was subbed off. Both where beaten by close to the worst ruck duo going around.

Cant agree there. Pyke was very good in the GF. Have no idea what any of this has to do with Ben though apart from prove you dont need to be a great ruckman to play well in a GF.

Pyke was good for Pykes usual and expected level of output.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pyke was good for Pykes usual and expected level of output.

No he was good for a ruckman and also proves that players can improve or rise to a different level. What it doesnt do is back up the people who say Ben cant ruck because they would have replaced Pyke before the GF.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have never read an opinion that was generated from an internal thought. All his posts are criticisms of others ideas- I can't imagine anyone thinking that was insightful -incite fools maybe. you mustn't read anything over one line posts.