On the Slide?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

On the Slide?

Got told by a Tiger supporter we are on the slide and they are going for top 4!! Roar for 4 their slogan is apparently.
What a great time January is!!! I have to admit with several changes its hard to know how 2013 will pan out but I am happy with the direction we are going and if any of the new recruits can be as good as Saad and Milera I think we will be ok.

felix
Club Player

Re: On the Slide?

It seems our coach is leaving no stoned unturned to get the best out of the players this year . Leaving nothing to chance just doing the hard work , the boys are looking fit from what I have seen albeit on media only ..the perception out there is we have had our shot so naturally we will fall. Opposition fans generally don't analyse our list or what's been happening off season or who we recruited , they presume we will slide because we were at the top 2 years ago, we have had a slide but I wouldn't be suprised if we came out and blew a few top teams off the park especially early in the season. I think our list is already looking better than 2010 . We will be quicker and stronger this year I reckon. No slide for mine.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Roar for 8th should be more like it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Roar for 4. Four wins that is. Gotta love those delusional tigers. 9th at best!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Roar for 4. Four wins that is. Gotta love those delusional tigers. 9th at best!
indeed. guess there is nothing wrong with a stretch goal but roar for 4 when you haven't been in the 8 for donkeys years is being a little bit ambitious. anything to sign the members up right?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Pine for Position Number Nine!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Megamaguire
Club Player

I'm Expecting each round will be a development round for the Saints and Watters in his second coaching year rather than a simple charge towards the best ladder placement at the end of round 22. I think we will see good positive development with St.Kilda's team structures and game statistics that will see us progress up the ladder but i'm hoping we also see startling and inspiring 'development' as well.
Mind you I'll be 'Very' interested if we tip out the Tigers for a spot in the top 4!
Also will still be interested plenty if we make the 8 after a year off too.
I think it'll look a fair bit different with new faces appearing from week to week this year but this should be fascinating in itself. Just going to enjoy each round - one at a time and hopefully be there to witness something special emerge.

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Kickit
Club Player

I see Richmond as a team with more potential than say, Carlton, Essendon, etc.
But Watter's seems to think the Saints can improve on last season too. Lets hope he's not delusional.

Trixilver
Club Player

If you're worried about what opposition fans say about where we'll finish, take a look at this thread and have a chuckle.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2 ... ad.483261/

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but the truth is there's no way of knowing how well we'll do this year. We have every chance just as Sydney did at the start of last season.
Last edited by Trixilver on Tue 22 Jan 2013 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Got told by a Tiger supporter we are on the slide and they are going for top 4!! Roar for 4 their slogan is apparently.
What a great time January is!!! I have to admit with several changes its hard to know how 2013 will pan out but I am happy with the direction we are going and if any of the new recruits can be as good as Saad and Milera I think we will be ok.
Richmond have been a basket case on field for nigh on thirty years. One finals series or something like that.
It isn't what you say that counts, it's what you do.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Harves Man
Club Player

When it comes to the Tigers, I feel that Whine for 9 is pretty accurate. :lol:

Harves Man
Club Player

I don't think we'll slide this year. When it comes to coaches, I feel that we got the absolute best going around at the time - I was very pleased at the time. Recon we'll surprise a few teams this year, when some of our players and new game plan click.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Richmond have been a basket case on field for nigh on thirty years. One finals series or something like that.
It isn't what you say that counts, it's what you do.
St Kilda have been a basket case on field for nigh on 120 years. One premiership or something like that.

It's just not realistic for us as Saints supporters to use the "history" argument against other teams. We have as bad a history as any other team, worse than all of them to be completely honest. If you use that argument on BigFooty you'll be eviscerated and rightly so.

What happened thirty years ago has no bearing on what happens today. Which is lucky because we were shitful thirty years ago. Exactly the same goes for Richmond.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: What happened thirty years ago has no bearing on what happens today. Which is lucky because we were shitful thirty years ago. Exactly the same goes for Richmond.
Nice theory and I would have agreed with you because all these guys have won flags in under age comps and as juniors but it has nothing to do with all the weight of expectation and St Kilda history. Just ask Nick Riewoldt about the pressure of expectation of not having won a flag in 44 years from the ex players to all the diehards. He admitted it got to him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Nice theory and I would have agreed with you because all these guys have won flags in under age comps and as juniors but it has nothing to do with all the weight of expectation and St Kilda history. Just ask Nick Riewoldt about the pressure of expectation of not having won a flag in 44 years from the ex players to all the diehards. He admitted it got to him.
Fair point, so each year that passes makes that a little bit harder... I don't like the sound of that.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WOW! those dullbogs look good for the flag! :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:WOW! those dullbogs look good for the flag! :roll:
Poor doggies can't even get past a Prelim. All they want is to get into a GF. So could be worse.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the next couple of years are going to be pretty difficult. It's not impossible for some unexpected talent to come to the fore (either from among the newer recruits, or a sudden unexpected improvement in some of the current more mediocre players): these things have happened before to us and other clubs. But the odds are always stacked against it. On the face of it, our lineup this year is less experienced and less talented than last year. All things being equal, they will perform less well than in recent years.

But, as I said, it isn't impossible that I'm wrong.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
loris
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
No that is only a rumour MB.

So thrilled to see you posting again me lad. Have you been on sabatical? Or just having a pre season rest? Hope the bushfires didn't threaten you.

Look forward to your insightful posting once more :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
meher baba wrote:
No that is only a rumour MB.

So thrilled to see you posting again me lad. Have you been on sabatical? Or just having a pre season rest? Hope the bushfires didn't threaten you.

Look forward to your insightful posting once more :P

+1...happy new year mate... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:WOW! those dullbogs look good for the flag! :roll:
Poor doggies can't even get past a Prelim. All they want is to get into a GF. So could be worse.
Yup. The poor bastards have waited 58 years since their last flag and 51 since their last Grand Final. That's a lot worse. Even Melbourne have been in a couple of Grand Finals in the 48 years since their last flag. Our 46 year wait with a few recent Grannies feels like luxury in comparison.

noob
Club Player

Be even harder in a few years when we start to climb back up the ladder with the likes of GWS and Gold Coast having all their young kids dominating the comp.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

noob wrote:Be even harder in a few years when we start to climb back up the ladder with the likes of GWS and Gold Coast having all their young kids dominating the comp.
Well lets hope the integrity of the salary cap won't be compromised, or that dimwit doesn't turn a blind eye to third party deals. As a matter of fact if the bastard that created these two teams were to " disappear" then perhaps there may not be a need for both these two teams to win premierships " at any cost" .

If all is fair, then free agency should see teams , if well managed, have a fair and realistic shot at the top four at least once every 5 years on average.

IMO