Open Training Fri 18/1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Re: Open Training Fri 18/1

Is Blakey too nice to be a coach, he's always smiling

BTW, Wilkes didn't mark anything when opposed to Rhys in their 20 min drill together

StGoddard18
Club Player

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Is Blakey too nice to be a coach, he's always smiling

BTW, Wilkes didn't mark anything when opposed to Rhys in their 20 min drill together
I watched the replay of our game vs Essendon last night. Wilkes doesn't mark much all the time :p. But I am excited to see how Stanley goes.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Not a lot of physicality (shepherding/heavy bumping/tackling) out there this morning, although it was probably part of the plan with so many new faces to get the fluency happening a bit. Didn't see Gilbert out there either, but I got there late.

Gilbo was out there the whole session and one of last to leave autograph hunters,

There is an extensive specific report on Bigfooty by aussierulesrules unders 2013 news
how about providing a link?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
PJ
SS Life Member

So with Stanley training as a defender does that open up the possibility of playing all of Ben, Stanley and Hickey together?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

We were lucky enough to be holidaying in Melbourne and got down to have a look at the team!

1. The first thing that I noticed was that as a list we definitely look taller and apart from the obvious the majority are quite a bit thinner than past footballers.

2. If there is a change in the captaincy this year - Nick Dal Santo is the player most likely to take over from Roo.

3. Player observations (newer players first)-

Most impressed with Jordan Staley - he looks like he will be player! For a tall he has a real burst of speed and has a real presence to him and a big frame which he will grow into. He trained the house down, running down Montagna in one drill. He trained with the forwards and looks another solid KPP coming through.

Brodie Murdoch really stood out also - he has a real burst of speed good skills and a frame ready to play. Has a bit of Patrick Dangerfield look about him.

Tom Lee looks ready to go - very self assured and extremely quick off the mark.

Jack Newnes in another who looks ready to step up and trained with the midfield group.

Tom Hickey is a very mobile tall (thin) and was all over McEvoy in the rucking drills - with McEvoy noticeable becoming frustrated with his inability to get a hand on the ball.

Nathan Wright appeared very focussed on the drills and would appear has improved his kicking routines already.

Samuel Dunnell is another with surprising speed. He is another who looks like he belongs and is a lot stronger in appearance this year.

Beau Wilkes looks like he is ready for a big year - he is really physically cut and trained the house down.

Spencer White needs a year in the gym but you can see the ‘Buddy’ likeness, a very exciting prospect.

Josh Saunders has a different body shape with a long torso and short legs similar to a Peter Daicos build. Didn’t notice him much during the drills.

Lewis PIERCE noticeably the tallest player on the list - has a good frame just needs time to develop an AFL body.

Dylan Roberton trained with the forwards looks uncoordinated and I still cant see what our list managers saw in him - time will tell.

Trent Dennis-Lane quick and highly skilled but looks like he could do with some core and upper body strength. Reminded me of X Clarke with no muscle definition at all !

Seb Ross just does enough doesn’t seem to be a natural runner and doesn’t seem to have a 2nd or 3rd effort. Doesn’t work to the next contest enough!

Jay Lever had his calf heavily strapped, but still looks like a bean pole (long way to go).

Jackson Fergusson is another great KPP prospect and looks about 6 months away from making an impact.

Stanley, Siposs and more of a surprise Tom Ledger were all training with the defensive group. With a plethora of quality tall forwards and another ruckman it makes sense that Stanley will be our CHB this year with Fisher at FB.

Stanley looks strong and fit - ready for a big year.

Ledger seems to have fined down and looks fitter. Works hard at every contest lets hope he makes the next step this year. Ledger is a midfielder with a small tank and may be eased into AFL via a back pocket position playing on the small forwards to fill the Geary role if he goes into the midfield.

On what I saw expect Siposs to fill the Goddard role and trained with real purpose and intensity.

Tom Simpkin is a tank and looks strong lets hope it's not to the detriment of his mobility. Nicknamed 'Head' I wonder why?

Jimmy Webster nothing special at all - no physical development not quick and not overly skilled. Looked like a club player training in an elite squad.

McEvoy has looked really cut and in great shape. Let’s hope the extra ruckman at the club takes him to another level of football.

Geary is announcing himself as a club leader - he goes flat out at everything and lets hope he grabs his midfield chances.

David Armitage and Jack Stevens both workman like mids - showed nothing more than expected.

Deja vu from the older players Hayes, Dal Santo, Blake etc

Worst on track were - Justin Koschitzke and James Gwilt. Both look overweight and slow and IMO both will struggle to make the side this year.

Summary:
With some luck and our back line holding tight we will make the finals this year. But IMO we are two high quality mature midfielders away from being able to challenge the tops sides. In time perhaps the younger players like Newnes, Ross, Wright, Murdoch, Ledger will get there?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

When I watch training I hardly notice anything to prove they will be good or bad players. They all seem to train well and they all seem to have great bodies except maybe a few first and second year players. Its not as if an AFL footballer is training in a local comp. Then I could understand then standing out.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:When I watch training I hardly notice anything to prove they will be good or bad players. They all seem to train well and they all seem to have great bodies except maybe a few first and second year players. Its not as if an AFL footballer is training in a local comp. Then I could understand then standing out.
No point reading your training reports

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:When I watch training I hardly notice anything to prove they will be good or bad players. They all seem to train well and they all seem to have great bodies except maybe a few first and second year players. Its not as if an AFL footballer is training in a local comp. Then I could understand then standing out.

I wouldnt post any unless it was to say who did or didnt train. If you had a brain you wouldnt read anything I wrote.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Gilbo was out there the whole session and one of last to leave autograph hunters,

There is an extensive specific report on Bigfooty by aussierulesrules unders 2013 news
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2 ... 43/page-12

and one on Page 13

interesting how duifferant people look at what happens- I actually thought Kosi did well- was out there the whole session - and I felt Gwilty looked heaps better than the last couple of games of 2012 when he really seemed to struggle-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
spot on
Club Player

Thanks for the reports guys, did anyone stand out as being the leader out there? Would be great to see Nicky dal as captain or vice captain. His been a very reliable play for years now, deserves some recognition

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I felt Gwilty looked heaps better than the last couple of games of 2012 when he really seemed to struggle-
He is probably progressing perfectly normally, not everyone can be Lenny and make such a freak return from a knee.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

I wouldnt post any unless it was to say who did or didnt train. If you had a brain you wouldnt read anything I wrote.
Unlike the others, i don't take your posts seriously...does that count for a brain...

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the great report.

Im very interested in trialling rhys as a defender.
And also ledger to back pocket and geary to midield.
I really like this idea. Back pocket is a good way for a mid to start their career and I really think Geary is ready to become a good midfielder now.

Also im lovin Brodie Murdoch already.

lefty
Club Player

And that's why I've said in the starting best 22 thread, that Kosi still when he is switched on is a better option at FF, because when you're at FF, you get the long bombs to the top of the square, and usually its against more than 1 opponent. Kosi seems to be able to grab those marks, but Wilkes doesn't seem to. However Wilkes by the end of the year was very good, and Kosi was great at the beginning.

lefty
Club Player

How about Tommy Curren?
The photos imo show that he's ready, and we're lacking some mids, so I don't see why not. How good is his kicking skills, and awareness of what to do, etc?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2 ... 43/page-12

and one on Page 13

interesting how duifferant people look at what happens- I actually thought Kosi did well- was out there the whole session - and I felt Gwilty looked heaps better than the last couple of games of 2012 when he really seemed to struggle-
thanks

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saint6709
Club Player

Liking the reports that Stanley seems to be looking good as a key back

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Liking the reports that Stanley seems to be looking good as a key back
We will need to see him in that position over a number of games in the season proper before it becomes likeable...

Unfortunately he could tear something the first time he defends..or the second....or the third....etc....

saint6709
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
saint6709 wrote:Liking the reports that Stanley seems to be looking good as a key back
We will need to see him in that position over a number of games in the season proper before it becomes likeable...

Unfortunately he could tear something the first time he defends..or the second....or the third....etc....
This is true Bob - but it could also happen to him if he was playing forward or ruck or it could happen to any other key back prospect....but agree - with his history - keeping him on the park is probably the most important aspect of his footy development this year

jimmy_slats
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:

have it on very good authority that he will be tryed as our new CHB they are really trying to put alot of work into him with it and hopfully that means a few years there and then unleashed as the new Nick but he wont ruck to much this year by the sounds

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I would see JB rather than Football department.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107