Luke Ball could captain Collingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Re: Luke Ball could captain Collingwood

All this hate towards ball is idiotic,
He could have been the difference between us winning that 09 GF, instead after having a cracking first half, he had to sit off for the second because Ross Lyon was worried about his lack of ability to spread.

He left for MORE money and MORE opportunities (I can hardly see that as sooking, thats not only smart business, but a good career choice)

He is a natural leader. If he was still at the Saints, I would of chosen him over BJ to be the next skipper.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:All this hate towards ball is idiotic,
He could have been the difference between us winning that 09 GF, instead after having a cracking first half, he had to sit off for the second because Ross Lyon was worried about his lack of ability to spread.

He left for MORE money and MORE opportunities (I can hardly see that as sooking, thats not only smart business, but a good career choice)

He is a natural leader. If he was still at the Saints, I would of chosen him over BJ to be the next skipper.
Exactly. Bigger loss than BJ IMO.

resaintlee
Club Player

At what stage during the season did RL realise that Ball was in negotiations with the Pies?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:At what stage during the season did RL realise that Ball was in negotiations with the Pies?
Probably after multiple games for Casey.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pies next captain is Pendles surely?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

+1

Bally was and is a leader and was and is a great finals player. Ross Lyon 'blamed' the whole playing group after 2009. He came out swinging and every player was to blame for denying him the glory of being a premiership coach.

I couldn't believe my ears prior to the 2010 start when he came out with the biggest load of crap at the family day down at Frankston. His words went something like; 'If you don't want to be here and don't want to help us win a premiership, you can find yourself another club to play for!!' WTF...how could he say this to the blokes who were committed to the club and gave their all for the club a long time before he even stepped foot there. Yep...RL is a dirty turd

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't like how Ball left...

However I still scratch my head that why when your number one inside mid is copping the heaviest of tags in the biggest game of the year, your second best inside mid sits on the bench for much of the second half.

I can't blame him for feeling unloved while he sat there watching the game slip away, he must of been itching to get out there....

Just wish he could of put it behind him.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't like how Ball left...

However I still scratch my head that why when your number one inside mid is copping the heaviest of tags in the biggest game of the year, your second best inside mid sits on the bench for much of the second half.

I can't blame him for feeling unloved while he sat there watching the game slip away, he must of been itching to get out there....

Just wish he could of put it behind him.
Lyon should have had his contract terminated and paid out as soon as the siren sounded in GF 2009.
His leavinjg Ball on the bench for most of the second half was as bad a coaching blunder as I have ever witnessed in a final.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Have no idea why you would say that. Strange indeed. If you left one job for another for more opportunity you are a sook. Now that is very strange indeed. Hope you have never done it. I certainly have.

If my boss had helped me out and carried me like Ball and then when I was fit asked me to lift my work rate and change a few aspects of my work Id never leave.

Even if another job offered you an extra 70% wage and if your current job took you for granted. Your a better man than I or a liar.
Speaking of liars who offered him 70% more?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:

+1

Bally was and is a leader and was and is a great finals player. Ross Lyon 'blamed' the whole playing group after 2009. He came out swinging and every player was to blame for denying him the glory of being a premiership coach.

I couldn't believe my ears prior to the 2010 start when he came out with the biggest load of crap at the family day down at Frankston. His words went something like; 'If you don't want to be here and don't want to help us win a premiership, you can find yourself another club to play for!!' WTF...how could he say this to the blokes who were committed to the club and gave their all for the club a long time before he even stepped foot there. Yep...RL is a dirty turd
Great finals player, really???
Go watch gf1 and watch him there, great is not a word I would use.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

If my boss had helped me out and carried me like Ball and then when I was fit asked me to lift my work rate and change a few aspects of my work Id never leave.

Even if another job offered you an extra 70% wage and if your current job took you for granted. Your a better man than I or a liar.

300k to 500k. What is that difference?

saintbob
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FFS Curly. He left because he couldn't meet Lyon's totally inflexible benchmark for running as a mid. Lyon demanded that his mids run flat out 50 % of their on-field time. Ball couldn't do it. Was in the mid 40's. So Lyon sent him back to the twos to 'think' about his game. Didn't make a jot of difference. Ball still couldn't do it. Some guys just can't I guess. Doesn't mean he isn't still an invaluable in and under mid. But Lyon starved him of opportunity and regarded him as of lesser value. What a farkwit.
Ball didn't want to leave and was in tears at having to play against his mates in the 2010 GF.
If you want to blame anyone for Ball leaving, blame Lyon. We lost Ball because of Lyon's rigidity and wouldn't he be a handy guy to have now.
Absolutely spot on!!!!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

300k to 500k. What is that difference?[/quote]

Apparently there was no difference over 3 years or did he lie now...

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Spot on st Byron.

I have a lot of respect for Bally after the 2010 GF.

As for Lyon - well he's just a dirty turd who unfortunately is still in the AFL system. Karma will bite his arse at some stage though.
Not nice.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Have no idea why you would say that. Strange indeed. If you left one job for another for more opportunity you are a sook. Now that is very strange indeed. Hope you have never done it. I certainly have.

Who offered 70% more?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 5826527463
The fact a contract was on the table was irrelevant. As it happens, he will play for Collingwood for less than he was offered by St Kilda. What does that tell you?
It tells me that Mike Sheahan got it badly wrong or Plugger got it badly wrong.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

CARE FACTOR: ZERO

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ball left because he is a sook plain and simple. He was asked to lift his game so the coach could use him the way he the coach wanted to. Ball rather than taking note and work on these like thousands of other footballers have done in all levels of football decided to turn his back on his mates and leave. A lot of the blokes he burnt and left had watched him get far more money than them for years prior for minimal out put due to injury. Ball had the choice to prove Lyon wrong and win a flag with his mates but was selfish and sooked off to Collingwood where apperently he worked harder than he ever has to get fit. What a dog why didnt he do that at the Saints. Got no time for the likes of Ball at any level of football.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Who offered 70% more?

The fact a contract was on the table was irrelevant. As it happens, he will play for Collingwood for less than he was offered by St Kilda. What does that tell you?

Did he get about 70% more in his first year? Yes. Did he leave for opportunity? Yes. So i got both things right. I only argued about his first year and not his third as that would have destroyed the first part of my argument.

Yes i am wrong. I actually forgot about the third year and i also forgot what I said about 4 years go and that was the money had little or no effect on him leaving. It was always opportunity. Im 51 and the alzheimer's is kicking in early. Got any tips for me?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who offered 70% more?

Did he get about 70% more in his first year? Yes. Did he leave for opportunity? Yes. So i got both things right. I only argued about his first year and not his third as that would have destroyed the first part of my argument.

Yes i am wrong. I actually forgot about the third year and i also forgot what I said about 4 years go and that was the money had little or no effect on him leaving. It was always opportunity. Im 51 and the alzheimer's is kicking in early. Got any tips for me?
Stay off the Internet.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I would love to still have Luke Ball at the club, he was one of my favourites & a great leader but: had he stayed, being only a year younger than Roo, I wouldn't see the point in him taking over the captaincy as he'll probably retire at the same time as roo anyway...

Ideally the next captain will have the title for 5+ years.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Zero chance.

Maybe buckley sees a need to pump up ball's tyres... is he taking a pay cut this year?
Last edited by markp on Fri 18 Jan 2013 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

good player and a good leader. Would be a top 5 player if was still at the saints.
The fact that he left has no relevance to his football ability.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's not the first to walk out the StK FC doors and prosper..... He is a great player and good man.

Maybe instead of pointing fingers at the people, look for the reasons at least a dozen have walked....

The administrations at StK have the worst record in the AFL with respect to running a successful organisation, only really got it right a few times, and even then only fleeting......

Coaching has improved in the past decade or so, the list has been gifted..... But in many areas STK have been poor.

Simple as that, and it's why we have had no success...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's not the first to walk out the StK FC doors and prosper..... He is a great player and good man.

Maybe instead of pointing fingers at the people, look for the reasons at least a dozen have walked....

The administrations at StK have the worst record in the AFL with respect to running a successful organisation, only really got it right a few times, and even then only fleeting......

Coaching has improved in the past decade or so, the list has been gifted..... But in many areas STK have been poor.

Simple as that, and it's why we have had no success...

If it was that simple wouldnt we have fixed it. I reckon it isnt that simple. And unless anyone was involved in the club for 114 year, which I doubt, then I doubt it is that simple.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

People rarely leave great organisations if they are not asked to...... People leave StK

Often that is how great organisation are judged, by how many want to be there... Or retention

A little story,

I grew up in the NW Coast of Tasmania and played in the NTFL. A club called Ulverstone were and still are the powerhouse.... At all levels. Hated by all other clubs (jealous), loved by their supporters and Ulverstone players were loyal to the core, ruthless and unrelenting. The expected to win... Never hoped!
I distinctly remember them having over 100 players training in 1990 and 40 alone in the under 19's many missing out on games whilst at Penguin only 10 minutes away they could barely get full teams... Why didn't fringe players just travel down the road and get a full game?? They wanted to wear the great jumper, the wanted to be a part of a successful club, they wanted to be a part of premierships... The wanted to represent the mighty Ulverstone and wear their jumper. They wouldn't consider leaving. Whilst basket cases can't keep players, great clubs have players knocking down there doors....

Collingwood, Vermont, Clarence, centrals, subiaco, noble park, Frankston YCW, Man U..... People want to play for them