stkfc Midfield 2014

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lloyd21
Club Player

stkfc Midfield 2014

Have feeling Midfield 2014 will be Newnes Saunders Markworth Steven Saad Wright Ross with assistance from Dal Santo Montagna Ray Armitage going forward

:shock:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: stkfc Midfield 2014

lloyd21 wrote:Have feeling Midfield 2014 will be Newnes Saunders Markworth Steven Saad Wright Ross with assistance from Dal Santo Montagna Ray Armitage going forward
All of Newnes, Saunders, Markworth, Wright and Ross will go from less than ten games to being a starting AFL midfielder in twelve months? Has that ever happened before at any other club?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

As Dennis Cometti might say, "That's ambitious".

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
shmic_s
Club Player

I'll go with Dal Santo, Montagna, Ray, Armo, Steven and Ross with help from the others.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Curren probably ahead of Saunders & Wright at this stage for 2014, also think that Markworth will be used nearly exclusively as a forward.

Also this list forgets that we trade CJ for Fyfe at the end of this year. :D

lloyd21
Club Player

Would think they will have a crack at Dion Prestia (GC ) Will Hoskin Elliott (GWS) with salary cap opening up

Did not say they will all start Steven Ross Newnes Markworth ( will have been in system as long as Dane Beams was when given same involvement)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:As Dennis Cometti might say, "That's ambitious".
Very ambitious!
Saunders strikes me as another Crocker. Hopefully I am wrong.

And to think all (if any) these guys are just going to whizz past someone like Armo - who was a first round pick and has been working his butt off getting fitter and stronger for 5 years is probably somewhat optmistic....

I really like the idea of Milera in the midfield - but someone else suggest Tezza might make a decent backman (replacing gram). He could play on small fwds and his excellent kicking would be an upgrade from Grammy so this idea is also growing on me a bit too.

I also think Geary is now ready to step it up into the midfield. He is certainly well advanced of all the youngsters.....

Curren could maybe play as a stopper or nuggety small backman and take over from bakes and geary (if geary can play mids).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Very ambitious!

And to think all (if any) these guys are just going to whizz past someone like Armo - who was a first round pick and has been working his butt off getting fitter and stronger for 5 years is probably somewhat optmistic....

I really like the idea of Milera in the midfield - but someone else suggest Tezza might make a decent backman (replacing gram). He could play on small fwds and his excellent kicking would be an upgrade from Grammy so this iodea is also growing on me a bit too.

Con we havent played a game, I doubt you have seen any training and you are writing off Saunders and making Murdoch another aaron hamill. How do you come to either of these conclusions?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Very ambitious!

I really like the idea of Milera in the midfield - but someone else suggest Tezza might make a decent backman (replacing gram). He could play on small fwds and his excellent kicking would be an upgrade from Grammy so this iodea is also growing on me a bit too.

Con we havent played a game, I doubt you have seen any training and you are writing off Saunders and making Murdoch another aaron hamill. How do you come to either of these conclusions?
Hardly 'writing him off'.
One of my rules is I never write anyone off until their 3rd year or they hit 21.

Just going on gut instinct so far which of course is not entirely accurate. It is a discussion board. Not a science journal!
But lets be honest - not many smallish private school kids make it in the AFL.
Murdoch - is a big brutish bodied and smart country kid with a good pedigree. So yeah If i had to place a bet between the two - Id be placing it on Murdoch.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Very ambitious!

Hardly 'writing him off'.
One of my rules is I never write anyone off until their 3rd year or they hit 21.

Just going on gut instinct so far which of course is not entirely accurate. It is a discussion board. Not a science journal!

Saunders strikes me as another Crocker. So it isnt writing him off comparing to him to a guy who didnt play a game in 2 years and was then delisted. What is writing him off then? Saying he plays like David Windbanks?

By the way you wrote off Crocker way before both your rules. Obviously your rules are very broad guidelines.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The words "strikes me" do not constitute writing anyone off.
They express an 'initial uninformed impression'.

But I really don't have time to be talking you through High School English pluggs. If you didnt attend class back in the 70s Im not sure what I can do now to make it up.

And AFL is a tough business - sadly these days - some guys don't get a 3rd year.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

lloyd21 wrote:Have feeling Midfield 2014 will be Newnes Saunders Markworth Steven Saad Wright Ross with assistance from Dal Santo Montagna Ray Armitage going forward :shock:
That'd be fantastic news! :D

Especially for Daniel, as that'd mean he'd have a done 'a Lenny'... though without the leaky valve..., but also without Lenny's prior experience and achievements to call on.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
shmic_s
Club Player

Was it Curren or Crocker that is the local kid who was training the house down BEFORE pre-season last year?
I'll assume it was Curren as he is still on the list.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:Was it Curren or Crocker that is the local kid who was training the house down BEFORE pre-season last year?
I'll assume it was Curren as he is still on the list.
Curren

shmic_s
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Curren
Shows what a big part of 'making it' is just simple hard yards.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The words "strikes me" do not constitute writing anyone off.
They express an 'initial uninformed impression'.

But I really don't have time to be talking you through High School English pluggs. If you didnt attend class back in the 70s Im not sure what I can do now to make it up.

And AFL is a tough business - sadly these days - some guys don't get a 3rd year.
Does that mean his parents wasted their money on his education........

Did i borrow that line off someone.... :lol: :lol:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
lloyd21
Club Player

: stkfc Midfield 2014

Would to just say this would be 2014. ....... Ok say they play by finals time 25 games.

Using recent example. Collingwood. 2010 Hate em. Blair. 12 games. Beams 25 games. Wellingham. 24 games. Thomas bugger all. Sidebottom same. ...
Armitage does not have the thing all sides are chasing .......speed. His endeavour is fantastic

gringo
Saintsational Legend

luke Ball went ok with out speed being a factor, Goddard took about 30 paces to get up to speed too.

On Saunders, I loved his style on the highlights reel, he looks to have watched a heap of Joel Selwood as he seems to relish taking on players in close and slipping away. The only similarity with Crock is that they weren't high picks.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: : stkfc Midfield 2014

lloyd21 wrote:Using recent example. Collingwood. 2010 Hate em. Blair. 12 games. Beams 25 games. Wellingham. 24 games. Thomas bugger all. Sidebottom same.
Not sure where you got your numbers from, but actually, in GF1 it was:

Blair 10
Macaffer 24
Reid 27
Dawes 28
Sidebottom 34
Beams 41
Brown 48
Wellingham 50
Toovey 65

All the rest had 100 or more, including their main midfielders: Ball, Swan, Thomas, Pendlebury. There's no way most of the zero game kids you mentioned in the OP will be at 30 or 40 games by finals time 2014 unless the plague strikes down Lenny, Dal, Joey, Armo, Jack, Faz, CJ, Schneids and Roberton. (The exception is Newnes, he could easily play 20 this year and be around 50 games at the end of next.)