At the Time I was born

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Re: At the Time I was born

plugger66 wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
saintbrat wrote:another non sensical thread- But it's holidays and better than watching Cowan and Hughes muck up good cricket day

On ( or near) the time I was born the saints had a big win
St Kilda 2.1 9.7 12.11 16.15 111
Geelong1.4 1.5 4.7 5.8 38 Win
Junction Oval Crowd 13,200 ( would that have been a big crowd at the time?) we lost the season- 7 wins11 losses

Were the Saints in a winning frame the day/ month/ Year you arrived on this earth...?
Junction Oval? surly not bratty. you're not a day over 21.

I was born on the same day as Milney.

Surely you arent 32?
same date sorry, not day.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:2 days after I was born, approx 10,000 people went to Arden St Oval Nth Melbourne celebrate the event and watched the Shinboners defeat the Saints :(

That same year, my idol in years to come - Peter Bennett - made his debut for the Saintss as a 17 year old :P
Aahh! Peter Bennett, eh Loris? i hear he was, ahem, popular with the ladies! Throughout his colourful life, I've been led to believe.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
loris wrote:2 days after I was born, approx 10,000 people went to Arden St Oval Nth Melbourne celebrate the event and watched the Shinboners defeat the Saints :(

That same year, my idol in years to come - Peter Bennett - made his debut for the Saintss as a 17 year old :P
Aahh! Peter Bennett, eh Loris? i hear he was, ahem, popular with the ladies! Throughout his colourful life, I've been led to believe.
Definitely was WW. He became an Olympic Water polo representative. He married Marjorie McQuade, an Australian Olympic Swimmer................. they were the Australian version of Posh & Beck in their day. A most handsome couple. Truly he broke my heart, though he didn't know I existed :cry: :cry: :cry:

In my 40's I became friends with Marje, we travelled overseas a number of times on Masters Swimming Competitions. She was most amused when I told her how besotted I had been with Peter, pictures on my bedroom wall, that I used to kiss before I went to sleep :oops: :oops: Marje wasn't that enamoured by her ex-husband Peter by then. Gee its sad when one realises one's idols had feet of clay :(

Gershwin
Club Player

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:

Definitely was WW. He became an Olympic Water polo representative. He married Marjorie McQuade, an Australian Olympic Swimmer................. they were the Australian version of Posh & Beck in their day. A most handsome couple. Truly he broke my heart, though he didn't know I existed :cry: :cry: :cry:

In my 40's I became friends with Marje, we travelled overseas a number of times on Masters Swimming Competitions. She was most amused when I told her how besotted I had been with Peter, pictures on my bedroom wall, that I used to kiss before I went to sleep :oops: :oops: Marje wasn't that enamoured by her ex-husband Peter by then. Gee its sad when one realises one's idols had feet of clay :(
Appreciate the post Loris.
Reminds us that our idols are only what we make of them. The ones that are really important to us are probably leave them far behind.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Yaysaints
Club Player

I was born October 1966. Did much happen that year ?
My first son was due on gf day 1997 and my second son
In another losing premiership year. Weird no ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Closest to my birthday was a win against Fitzroy by 8 points… Junction Oval.

But I just saw this too…

Round 6 1978
Melbourne 21.15 (141) St Kilda 31.18 (204) MCG 24,852 6 May 1978

What a scoreline! Anyone remember that game at all?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I remember it alright. We kicked 11.5 in the second quarter and IIRC, were 19.12 at half time! Russell Greene kicked 5 that day, playing as a ruck rover. I think the only reason we didn't get the record that day was because of exhaustion and leather poisoning. Sidebottom, Hunt and Young all running riot. I really believe that 1978 outfit was capable of winning the flag. We didn't even finish in the five in the end. Missed by half a game. That season we beat the Grand finalists, with the win over Hawthorn at Waverley late in the year being particularly impressive (57 points). The last game, where we thrashed Carlscum by 40 at Moorabbin, and killed there premiership push was particularly satisfying. That was also the day Robbie Muir supposedly decked Dennis Collins. I still maintain he missed him and I had a good view. Side on to it and about 20 metres away in the animal enclosure. I think it was the breeze generated by his haymaker that sent Collins to the deck. Anyone else in the AE that day who witnessed it?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I remember it alright. We kicked 11.5 in the second quarter and IIRC, were 19.12 at half time! Russell Greene kicked 5 that day, playing as a ruck rover. I think the only reason we didn't get the record that day was because of exhaustion and leather poisoning. Sidebottom, Hunt and Young all running riot. I really believe that 1978 outfit was capable of winning the flag. We didn't even finish in the five in the end. Missed by half a game. That season we beat the Grand finalists, with the win over Hawthorn at Waverley late in the year being particularly impressive (57 points). The last game, where we thrashed Carlscum by 40 at Moorabbin, and killed there premiership push was particularly satisfying. That was also the day Robbie Muir supposedly decked Dennis Collins. I still maintain he missed him and I had a good view. Side on to it and about 20 metres away in the animal enclosure. I think it was the breeze generated by his haymaker that sent Collins to the deck. Anyone else in the AE that day who witnessed it?
That was also the Rex Hunt 2 thumbs up game when Barkes kicked a goal into the wind at the south road end. I remember waiting around to see if Fitzroy could beat Geelong for us to make the the 5, or visa versa. Big sigh of angst as the final scores went up on the Moorabbin scoreboard and we missed the 5. :cry:

Muir didn't touch Collins.

White Winmar wrote:I remember it alright. We kicked 11.5 in the second quarter and IIRC, were 19.12 at half time! Russell Greene kicked 5 that day, playing as a ruck rover. I think the only reason we didn't get the record that day was because of exhaustion and leather poisoning. Sidebottom, Hunt and Young all running riot. I really believe that 1978 outfit was capable of winning the flag. We didn't even finish in the five in the end. Missed by half a game. That season we beat the Grand finalists, with the win over Hawthorn at Waverley late in the year being particularly impressive (57 points). The last game, where we thrashed Carlscum by 40 at Moorabbin, and killed there premiership push was particularly satisfying. That was also the day Robbie Muir supposedly decked Dennis Collins. I still maintain he missed him and I had a good view. Side on to it and about 20 metres away in the animal enclosure. I think it was the breeze generated by his haymaker that sent Collins to the deck. Anyone else in the AE that day who witnessed it?

He missed. Straight from Robbie Muir's mouth and he admitted to most things so I doubt he would lie on that one.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

He missed. Straight from Robbie Muir's mouth and he admitted to most things so I doubt he would lie on that one.
Dennis Collins is the only bloke I've ever seen who could not be run down, even when bouncing the ball, and could never catch an opponent running away from him. He took a dive, if Robbie had connected he'd never have gotten up.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

There should be a retrospective hearing that would clear our Robert.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

I was born June 8th 1984.

St Kilda

13.13 (91)

Melbourne

19.13 (127)

Moorabbin Oval

9 June 1984

The day after my birth we lost to the Dees by 36 points.

The year of my birth we finished on the bottom of the ladder.

I'm very thankful i wasn't old enough to "enjoy" the 80's.

2013 year of the saints!!!

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
SunburySaint
Club Player

The year I was born (1986) we won only 2 games and finished last.... Ironically one of those games was against eventual premiers Hawthorn.... cant remember much else since I was in the womb all year (Until October)

Now lives in Geelong...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

unless we played in ten days time in 1973 id say there was no game around my time
and yes...40 in ten days time

ive been growing a mullet in preparation for the inevitable comb over

SunburySaint
Club Player

matrix wrote:unless we played in ten days time in 1973 id say there was no game around my time

Does it match this?

Now lives in Geelong...
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:unless we played in ten days time in 1973 id say there was no game around my time

just a litle bit older than Lenny.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:

Does it match this?

mines longer than yours
but you look good
up to date with the fashion i see

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

2 days after I was born, Fitzroy rolled us by 10 goals at VFL Park in front of 20000 pretty dedicated fans.

Lockett kicked 6, while Geoff Cunningham got 25 touches. Danny Frawley was playing his 7th game (in number 49)

We went on to be successful in our quest for the wooden spoon later on that season...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i reckon more than a few of us were born in wooden spoon eras i was born in the year we came second last the next four years we took out the spoon though
funny stat though every time we have finished top of the ladder Geelong has also finished in the top four with us and the last two times we have finished top of the ladder it has been us Geelong and the Bulldogs.... also the first and the last time we finished top of the ladder collingwood have finished top the next year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/