Jackson Ferguson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lloyd21
Club Player

Jackson Ferguson

I noticed a lot people on this forum mentioning a big query on Jackson Ferguson.

Have watched this kid at Sandringham a number of times ,think he is going to be a gun , very cool under pressure , athletic , good mark , hits targets , very quick
and by all reports over the summer has now developed shoulders .

Greater Western Sydney were making enquiries ( trust me ) during trade time, very confident about this guy going forward.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Jackson Ferguson

Apparently Con Gorozidis doesnt rate him...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:I noticed a lot people on this forum mentioning a big query on Jackson Ferguson.

Have watched this kid at Sandringham a number of times ,think he is going to be a gun , very cool under pressure , athletic , good mark , hits targets , very quick

Greater Western Sydney were making enquiries ( trust me ) during trade time, very confident about this guy going forward.
You bettya lloyd21!
This kid can play. Only just turned 20.
http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/476551/jack ... -round-19/
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 03 Jan 2013 4:31pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Apparently Con Gorozidis doesnt rate him...
:D :D

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Heard he plays small... despite his size. If GWS want him desperately, s/swap with Dom Tyson would be fine thanks.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Heard he plays small... despite his size. If GWS want him desperately, s/swap with Dom Tyson would be fine thanks.

He runs but doesnt play small. Plays on talls at CHB.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:Heard he plays small... despite his size. If GWS want him desperately, s/swap with Dom Tyson would be fine thanks.

He runs but doesnt play small. Plays on talls at CHB.
How many months do you reckon he is away from a senior appearance?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SuperDuper
Club Player

played as a 19 year old KPD in the VFL and did well... Not too many players in the country did that, AFL listed or not... all the talk about us recruiting the best young KPD in VFL/WAFL/SANFL.... well maybe we had him already!
Seems to be developing nicely, remembering he is NSW product which should put his early development behind in all likelihood.... certainly a chance to play games next year and is a possibility of becoming a gun KPD...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
How many months do you reckon he is away from a senior appearance?
Considering he is a rookie 12 months.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SuperDuper
Club Player

Considering he is a rookie 12 months
we can upgrade one rookie already for Markworth... and another after 11 rounds I believe....
So he will play (even round 1) if his form warrants it

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Considering he is a rookie 12 months
we can upgrade one rookie already for Markworth... and another after 11 rounds I believe....
So he will play (even round 1) if his form warrants it
Maybe, but on last years form he's not ready yet. He will be a good player, but no need to rush him.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

NSW scholarship player...

A lot of them don't make it.....

This one might, he hasn't as yet...

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Kernal75
Club Player

Is this his 2nd or 3rd year as a Rookie? If it's his 3rd then don't we have to either draft / delist him at the end of this year and if so then this really is his year?!?

batman

This is his thrid year as a rookie. Basically missed half his first year with a shoulder injury.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

batman wrote:This is his thrid year as a rookie. Basically missed half his first year with a shoulder injury.
Only just turned 20. Arrived at the club as a 17 year old. So his progression is steady but heading in the right direction.
I think he looks more likely than not at this stage.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He's both the son of Jack and the son of Fergus

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Megamaguire
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:I noticed a lot people on this forum mentioning a big query on Jackson Ferguson.

If Sheedy managed to get a talented player from the Saints at our expense i'd be disappointed.
i still remember the character reference sheedy gave our club for the essendon castoff who self imploded - we lost a potentially significant draft pick for that debacle.

I'd be very wary regarding any dealings with the Sheedy way of doing things.
it would be great for the club to see J F come through the development process and be able to establish himself at the highest level.
This sort of development reinforces belief that the development program is a good one.
With the poor junior dev. under R.Lyon (I still appreciate the 2 grand final appearances mind you and the chance to win one...) it would mark a successful improvement in this oversight from the career coach.

GO JACKO!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it is a bit of a myth that RL didnt care about player development. If it means playing games then you may claim that but i still claim the reason many didnt play games is that we were winning the younger guys werent ready for such a strict game plan. If it means player development off the ground then I totally disagree. Under RL the younger guys did a lot more off the ground than under GT. That doesnt mean GT didnt care about player development, it means we had more money under RL for that department as we have even more money in that department under SW. I dont beleive that is much to do with who is coaching but more how the 18 AFL clubs have moved in that area.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Megamaguire wrote:If Sheedy managed to get a talented player from the Saints at our expense i'd be disappointed.
i still remember the character reference sheedy gave our club for the essendon castoff who self imploded - we lost a potentially significant draft pick for that debacle.

I'd be very wary regarding any dealings with the Sheedy way of doing things.
this gets thrown around a fair bit the blame of the Lovett fiasco being pushed to Sheedy for going in to bat for Lovett while we were tossing up weather to take the risk on him... i dont get it its not like ANYONE could foresee what was going to happen with that not even Lovett himself i would imagine would have felt it would turn out like it did ... im sure Sheedy told the saints the truth about Lovett as they believed it to be and im sure he was as shocked as all of us when it went sour for us ..

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think the Ross lyon anti player development is more in tune with the clubs drafting during his time where we went for the more experianced role players over the raw kids , blokes like Begley, Pattison , Jesse Smith getting drafted instead of looking at the 18yearold longshots ... the fact is either way i doubt it would have made much differance in where we are now list wise

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think the Ross lyon anti player development is more in tune with the clubs drafting during his time where we went for the more experianced role players over the raw kids , blokes like Begley, Pattison , Jesse Smith getting drafted instead of looking at the 18yearold longshots ... the fact is either way i doubt it would have made much differance in where we are now list wise
Also a resource allocation issue.

Im not saying throwing money at something is the be all and end all but we had hardly any resources (staff or $$) in the recruitment area for quite a few years. I think we didnt even have a recruitment manager at all for at least 6 months at one stage.

With more resources, expertise and research etc you are increasing your chances of success. With our low resource allocation we were really picking in the dark and relying on luck (also known as plain ass).

And the result - hardly any players aged 21-26 - hence we poached Pelchen who then went and recruited Dunell, Saad, Milera, TDL, Hickey and Lee to fill the gaps.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think it was plainly obvious during the Lyin years that player development wasn't a high priority, finding the next batch of one trick ponies was though...

I believe Freo mentioned player development in their conversations with Lyin because of his distaste for it, Freo management want to win and they want the next crop developed.

Who cares anyway, those at the club now have a better overall focus than what Lyin delivered.....

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think the Ross lyon anti player development is more in tune with the clubs drafting during his time where we went for the more experianced role players over the raw kids , blokes like Begley, Pattison , Jesse Smith getting drafted instead of looking at the 18yearold longshots ... the fact is either way i doubt it would have made much differance in where we are now list wise
Begley?

He was traded to the Crows

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Begley?

He was traded to the Crows

Yes he was but they are referring to the Irish man Colm from the Lions.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Colm Begley..

SW had a definite crack about lack of player development after he arrived, he has basically had to reshape the list with strategic drafting. And beef up player development, improve relationship and alliance with Sandy..... Of course he came from a club where player development was a priority, and even in premiership years a 4 year apprenticeship (stagnating in the VFL) wasn't required.... Kids got games, bit like Geelong in 2011