Gilbo down back

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kimberly saint
Club Player

Re: Gilbo down back

yep most saints fans thought gilbo was going to be a star in his break out year me included. Only problem was rest clubs worked out his flaws way before we could see them..
Still had good year last year think he will go ok this year to

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I've heard that the club has provided Gilbo a revolutionary program designed to improve his kicking so that he can replace Goddard.
It's a new year so it would be nice if you put some effort into your posts.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Let's face it Gilbo won't get any better than what he was. Probably regretting taking that photo and humping that whore.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Let's face it Gilbo won't get any better than what he was. Probably regretting taking that photo and humping that whore.

Yep, a young bloke getting his rocks off has regret written all over it. :roll:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I've heard that the club has provided Gilbo a revolutionary program designed to improve his kicking so that he can replace Goddard.
it would be good if he improved his kicking..

It would be even better if he developed a right foot.....before he retires or is delisted....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
millarsaint wrote:Let's face it Gilbo won't get any better than what he was. Probably regretting taking that photo and humping that whore.

in fairness... he pbly does regret that particular occasion

doesn't mean he did anything wrong though

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

in fairness... he pbly does regret that particular occasion

doesn't mean he did anything wrong though
Weren't they BF GF for a while and in love?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Ok Pavlova, I admit it, I don't put much effort into my posts. What's your excuse?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Ok Pavlova, I admit it, I don't put much effort into my posts. What's your excuse?
I'm afraid I don't have one. I really don't try though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Come on, you're better than that. That "whore" is someone's daughter, sister....someone's little trollop.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have one. I really don't try though.
Fair enough. But I do particularly like your angry tough guy posts. They're my favourite. Keep up the good work in 2013!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Come on, you're better than that. That "whore" is someone's daughter, sister....someone's little trollop.
Why is this young woman a whore? Because she rooted a bloke?

Or because she caused trouble for him on social media?

She was stupid and a troublemaker, but to call her a whore and a trollop is beyond the pale.

Didn't hear Gilbert getting called a whore or man sl*t.

Sorry guys, but temper it a bit. We all need to take into account language has consequences.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Fair enough. But I do particularly like your angry tough guy posts. They're my favourite. Keep up the good work in 2013!
What about rude, arrogant and smart arse.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Why is this young woman a whore? Because she rooted a bloke?

Or because she caused trouble for him on social media?

She was stupid and a troublemaker, but to call her a whore and a trollop is beyond the pale.

Didn't hear Gilbert getting called a whore or man sl*t.

Sorry guys, but temper it a bit. We all need to take into account language has consequences.
my post was supposed to be a joke but fair point.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the point was that Gilbo hasnt been the same player since. you can call her whatever you like, I'll do the same.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:the point was that Gilbo hasnt been the same player since. you can call her whatever you like, I'll do the same.
In fact you cant call her what you like. No woman deserves to be labelled with mysognist hatefilled words like sl*t, or whore.

She was stupid, a fool, a liar, and a fraud, but that is due to her actions not her gender.

Gilbert may have been affected by her actions, but not because she is a "whore".

These labels are part of the reason women hatred culminates in the rape and murder of women like Jill Meagher and the Indian women in Dehli.

Just think before you post hatefilled diatribes. I am sure you wouldn't want the women you are close to being called a sl*t or whore because they are sexually active.

Or maybe you would??? Who knows.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

If he was able to play fullback he would have played it by now and Fisher would have played somewhat looser permanently instead of being forced to play key tall too much for anyone's liking due to his value.

Has he?

No he has not.

That being stated, he is a first 18 player in probably every other team at the moment and is a B grader. Is that a bad thing? No of course not.

It just means he would probably struggle at fullback.

Im all for Kosi being tried somehow against the big talls and the big talls only. He is a physical beast although do we take the good with the obvious bad and he will struggle on the lead.

Is this at all possible when we have a big powerful key forward to deal with?

Hawkins is not a lead player, similarly Roughead. Is it possible to line Kosi up against these types?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
millarsaint wrote:the point was that Gilbo hasnt been the same player since. you can call her whatever you like, I'll do the same.
In fact you cant call her what you like. No woman deserves to be labelled with mysognist hatefilled words like sl*t, or whore.

She was stupid, a fool, a liar, and a fraud, but that is due to her actions not her gender.

Gilbert may have been affected by her actions, but not because she is a "whore".

These labels are part of the reason women hatred culminates in the rape and murder of women like Jill Meagher and the Indian women in Dehli.

Just think before you post hatefilled diatribes. I am sure you wouldn't want the women you are close to being called a sl*t or whore because they are sexually active.

I understand the point you are making JB and I couldn't imagine there would be many men around that would disagree with you regarding proper behaviour towards women however isn't the particular girl in question the one that used her sexuality in a calculating and hate-filled way with only the intent of causing as much harm as possible and also trying to profit from such actions? The hatred for this particular women is for a very well known reason which I doubt will culminate in rape and murder by those who have and will continue to harbour such emotion toward this particular women for the things she did to their beloved football club.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not only am I not expecting Gilbo to be playing key defence this year, I'm not even sure he will be playing all that much in the backline, as he played a lot on the wing last season and with all of Fisher, Simpkin, Gwilt, Dempster, Geary most likely "locks" down back, I pretty much expect the other spot to be out of Siposs (who ended the season so well there) and Gilbo. (With Roberton next in line, closely followed by Newnes and hopefully Wright, if he hits the ground running). If someone like Stanley gets played there then that is one less spot up for grabs and may see Gilbo out of there almost full-time.

So unless someone like Stanley ends up being successful there over the preseason/NAB Cup, I see Fisher, Simpkin, Gwilt playing "tall", with Geary to play the role he played this year and Dempster to go back to the role he played so well the previous year (2011) on the "mediums" and "smalls", basically taking over the role Gram has now vacated. That leaves one spot (the "quarterback" role) and I think it's between Siposs, Gilbo and maybe Roberton and for mine the best choice is probably Siposs.

He has only just turned 20, but he looked terrific off HB in the last couple of games we played this year (40 possies, 13 marks, in his first two there in the seniors) and his kicking is probably as good as anyone in our team and only likely to get better, which is a huge asset coming off HB. Like BJ's was, in the times he played there. He'll be in his 3rd year on the list next year and looks ready to be able to step up and play a more consistent and responsible role.

Pretty much everything that has made Goddard good at the times he has played there, Arryn also has in abundance (almost identical size, similar speed, strong overhead- with longer looking arms and marking at the highest point- great reading of the play, cool under pressure, excellent vision, fantastic kicking), but then sitting there in the stands for those last two games just sold me on it. For me they were a "wow" moment, to be able to play like that in his very first games there in the seniors and make it look so easy. I left the ground after that last game and was just convinced that we had to start him across HB from R1 next season (form and fitness permitting), when he ought to be even more ready for it, with another preaseson under his belt. His defensive abilities may not be that great, but neither were BJ's.

We need to replace the run and carry and long kicking into the forward line that Gram gave us out of the backline and while he doesn't have as much breakaway pace as Gram, what Arryn does have is more of a precise, thumping kick. When Grammy went the bomb, he would just sort of thump it to a general area and it would often wobble and go really high, giving the other team time to get to the drop, but Sippa seems to have the ability to both spot someone 60m away and also hit them with a more accurate and penetrating kick, that gets there more quickly, spinning properly. Some of the 55-60m+ passes he's done to someone over the back in his first two years have been tremendously good. Gram improved his short passing of late, but I still expect Arryn's to be better than that, as well.

I watched the Carlton R23 game again the other night and Arryn ran off HB and through the centre of the ground at least a couple of times and delivered the ball into the F50, one of which was a low bullet pass that hit someone leading up to him smack in the guts. I think he might have also hit Wilkes with a long 55m pass over the back in that game as well. Arryn also kicked a thumping, Jason Gram-like goal from 55m out in one of those last two games, after slipping forward and getting a sneaky handball off someone who was lining up for a set shot from 50m out near the boundary. So he definitely doesn't have to be playing in the forward line to be putting the ball inside the F50 with thumping roosts, or precision passes, or to be our new Gram, getting the sneaky handballs from anyone that doesn't want to have a shot from 50m out.

So for mine, this leaves the wing for Gilbo. Just let him gallop up and down the ground and use his pace, size, marking, endurance, tackling and so on to advantage. He may even be an option for "run-with" roles, having done one of those quite well on Chris Judd in the past, thanks to his pace and big tank.

Another reason he probably ought to continue to play on the wing a fair bit is that, as I said, he played there a fair bit this year and with Goddard gone now, (who spent so much time on the other wing, or else in the middle) and possibly CJ no longer in the team, that could be as many as 2.5 midfield spots that we have to effectively replace this season, which is a lot.

(Almost everyone I talk to about BJ (even those who follow St Kilda) reckon that Goddard was still playing down back this year, but that is a long way from the truth, as he lined up for the great majority of the season on either the wing (mostly), in the middle (especially late, in the games against WB, Collingwood and Geelong), or even forward of centre (especially at the very end of the year, when he effectively replaced Riewoldt in the forward line against Melbourne, GWS and Carlton) and very, very little in the backline.

I noticed this during the year, as I generally look around the ground at most centre bounces to see where everyone is lining up and it was very obvious that he was lining up in the midfield from our first game in Melbourne in R2 and that he basically stayed there (except for short spells either back or forward) until he was moved forward at the very end, once Roo went down.

Some still wouldn't believe that he wasn't playing down back though, once I told them that, or even once I pointed out that our back 6 for the year was basically Fisher, Simpkin, Gwilt/Blake, Dempster, Geary and Gram, with Gilbo the one in there the next most and a smattering of Raph Clarke, Newnes, Polo, Siposs also playing down there at times, so I started taking note of where he lined up at centre bounces when re-watching the replays of our games on Foxtel in the past few months and watching them confirmed exactly what I saw at the ground (or on TV, for the interstate games) and that was that BJ spent by far the majority of his on-field time lining up in the midfield and following the ball all over the park.)

So with that being the case, we need to replace him in the midfield area and while Gilbo doesn't have his ball winning abilities, or kicking skills, he did, as I said, play on the wing a fair bit last season hmself, so with BJ being gone now and Siposs possibly a better option down back, I see Sam as one of not a lot of options to help cover for Brendon's loss, along with Farren Ray getting more games and hopefully Schneder playing more as well and maybe Milera pushing up to the wing more. Ledger and Ross will hopefully start to demand games, but if CJ isn't played they would probably be taking his spot on the field more than perhaps BJ's.

So I think Gilbo will be one of the leading candidates for a wing, perhaps alternating with Siposs, who I would really like to see given more time on the wing as well as down back (if we can do without him up forward).

B: Gwilt Fisher Geary
HB: Dempster Simpkin Siposs

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
defacto
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

because she is a whore. she was rooting older blokes not because she liked them, but to get things she wanted. she has some very serious issues

like the police officer that was later dismissed without pay. like tricky ricky. like a certain not to be named journalist at the hun. she is by all acounts someone who uses sex as a way to get what she wants no matter how ugly, old or repulsive that person is. when she gets it, she has no problem throwing the person under the bus

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:If he was able to play fullback he would have played it by now and Fisher would have played somewhat looser permanently instead of being forced to play key tall too much for anyone's liking due to his value.

Has he?

No he has not.

That being stated, he is a first 18 player in probably every other team at the moment and is a B grader. Is that a bad thing? No of course not.

It just means he would probably struggle at fullback.

Im all for Kosi being tried somehow against the big talls and the big talls only. He is a physical beast although do we take the good with the obvious bad and he will struggle on the lead.

Is this at all possible when we have a big powerful key forward to deal with?

Hawkins is not a lead player, similarly Roughead. Is it possible to line Kosi up against these types?

Kosi couldnt play against these guys even if they dont lead for the ball. All he could do is punch it away. If the ball ever hit the ground near him he wouldnt be in the contest so we are a man short in the backline. Kosi will play forward, the occasional burst in the ruck or for the Saints to improve, at Sandy. Now that isnt having a go at Kosi, it is hoping the replacement gives us more than Kosi. For us to improve some young, probably more than some, players have to improve a lot and quickly. We know what we will get out of our stars and they wont improve and that wasnt good enough last year so our older recruits, second, third and fourth year players must come on as well as Steven, Armo and Ben.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I understand the point you are making JB and I couldn't imagine there would be many men around that would disagree with you regarding proper behaviour towards women however isn't the particular girl in question the one that used her sexuality in a calculating and hate-filled way with only the intent of causing as much harm as possible and also trying to profit from such actions? The hatred for this particular women is for a very well known reason which I doubt will culminate in rape and murder by those who have and will continue to harbour such emotion toward this particular women for the things she did to their beloved football club.
You should put more aqua in your reds before you hit the key board. :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

You should put more aqua in your reds before you hit the key board. :D

Have you ever considered a sex change?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm not interested in being your b!tch Cairnsman so just forget it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I'm not interested in being your b!tch Cairnsman so just forget it.
It's interesting you see yourself as a b!tch too. Oh well they say admitting to one self is the first step. :P