Why all the buzz about Mitch Brown?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why all the buzz about Mitch Brown?

plugger66 wrote:Fisher was never leaving the saints. It makes no sense at all unless we got some stupid high pick. GWS wouldnt want a 30 year old. There is no point at all. And Chips never wanted to leave.
I heard Gilbert was the other option. Would you have done that deal? Gilbo for a top 5 pick?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Fisher was never leaving the saints. It makes no sense at all unless we got some stupid high pick. GWS wouldnt want a 30 year old. There is no point at all. And Chips never wanted to leave.
I heard Gilbert was the other option. Would you have done that deal? Gilbo for a top 5 pick?

In a heart beat but surely no club would be that stupid. Gilbert is a top 20 pick at best, probably higher. It doesnt matter now but Gilbert for Brown would have been a good trade for both GWS, WCE and us IMO.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:
As I said, the last deal was for a pick in the low teens. The other one you are probably referring to was a few days earlier and it didn't get off the ground because a certain someone didn't want to go go there, so GWS had a crack at someone else that they were less keen on, but were still happy to get. As I said, they were keen on both someone to fill a key defensive spot and/or someone to provide some real run and carry out of the backline. On top of needing some extra outside midfield polish and run and carry (hence supposedly going after Delidio and Gibbs), they were the other two areas they felt were lacking on their list.

The deal might have been seen as "overs" to many, if it had gone through, but not if compared to how much we were prepared to give up for Brown, or West Coast were prepared to give up for Hooker (remembering that it was Hooker refusing to go to WC in the end that made the Brown deal fall through), or if you go by his form when he's playing his best footy.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't have been against us still doing that deal even though the Brown one didn't go through, from purely an unemotional list point of view.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:first off in my opinion Mitch Browns price was inflated due to the fact he was contracted , the WCE are not known to just help its competition out by just letting a player go so any trade was always going to have to be heavily weighted in their favour ...
as for how Brown plays at WAFL level he is good to very good depending on the role he is given he often shows that class that highlights he is above the WAFL level but at time (an this is just my feel on it) he kind of gets disheartend by the fact he is stuck in the WAFL , i remember him having a few very very good games and there was talk of him getting recalled up to the eagles but it didnt quiet happen the following week he really looked to me as if he was just going through the motions ... i dont think he is going to come to the saints now as i have a feeling he will get an extention put under his nose mid year that he will sign ....
Why would he sign an extension if he's stuck in the WAFL when a Victorian club like us might give him a better go at it?
because Glass is getting older ... the word is he is very happy at West Coast it was only his lack of games in AFL that had him looking elsewhere ... my money will be on him getting more games this year in the Eagles as the WCE manage Glass through the season
I was told that Worsfold and Watters really dislike each other. And that it was Worsfold who refused to deal with the Saints because of it.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I've heard that as well, but in the end they came to the table and it was a done deal as far as our two clubs were concerned, by the night before the final day of trading, but it was all dependent on Essendon and Cale Hooker being that final piece of the puzzle.

West Coast understandably didn't want to give up their only back-up option for FB/CHB when going into a season where they were going to have a huge crack at a flag, without getting someone in to replace him immediately and this is where Essendon and Hooker (who comes from Perth) came into it. The picks that we were going to give WC for Brown (25 and 26) were offered to Essendon for Hooker (to go to WC) and apparently he agreed to go, but then changed his mind at the last minute (even Essendon admitted on their website that Hooker had the option to go, but knocked it back- Essendon would have been pissed I reckon- they could afford to lose him and getting 25 and 26 would have been a brilliant return) and that is when it pretty much fell through, because West Coast were not prepared to go into next year without anyone as back-up to Glass and co. Even Geelong were brought into it in the end, as they were prepared to swap their pick 16 for our 25 and 26, so that we could offer 16 to WC for Brown, but they knocked that back as well.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:because Glass is getting older ... the word is he is very happy at West Coast it was only his lack of games in AFL that had him looking elsewhere ... my money will be on him getting more games this year in the Eagles as the WCE manage Glass through the season
I was told that Worsfold and Watters really dislike each other. And that it was Worsfold who refused to deal with the Saints because of it.
thats a load of crap.. Hutchison Baines were running the show with regards to the trades and for WCE Craig Vozzo and Rohan O’Brien were doing the wheels and deals ... Watters and Worsfold's relationship had nothing to do with it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If true, what a stupid dumb arsed deal that would have been for us. Little upside for a selleys gap filler.

Mitch Brown is worth around pick a 40. What other great deals are these guys planning if true.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dont get this link between SOS and the saints ..... i would imagine he would have little to no interest to helping any team other than the one he is currently an employee with
+1. ive seen so many posts along the lines of "Sos doing us a solid" "mates rates" etc. nothing can be further from the truth. SOS is out to get the best deal he can to build the list to the profile they want. if that means screwing us, he'll do it. thats his job. the reason why we got the trades we did, is because it suited what SOS was after. he wanted as many first round picks as possible and had no interest in the players he traded to us
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:first off in my opinion Mitch Browns price was inflated due to the fact he was contracted , the WCE are not known to just help its competition out by just letting a player go so any trade was always going to have to be heavily weighted in their favour ...
as for how Brown plays at WAFL level he is good to very good depending on the role he is given he often shows that class that highlights he is above the WAFL level but at time (an this is just my feel on it) he kind of gets disheartend by the fact he is stuck in the WAFL , i remember him having a few very very good games and there was talk of him getting recalled up to the eagles but it didnt quiet happen the following week he really looked to me as if he was just going through the motions ... i dont think he is going to come to the saints now as i have a feeling he will get an extention put under his nose mid year that he will sign ....
+1 again. although i have seen some shockers from mitch and plenty of brain fades, like his kick out on the full during a crucial moment of the WAFL GF. i agree he was way way way way over inflated simply because, as you said, he was contracted and in a position everyone is after at the moment. the problem with mitch is, he is a reportedly a bit of a flog. had a poor attitude at east freo towards the non-afl listed players to the point he wouldnt even take his man, after his man got on a roll. then there was the mason shaw incident where he broke a 17/18 year olds jaw behind play, that started alot of back and forth between the south freo wafl players and the eagles boys. then the fact he entertained another clubs advances when he was contracted, shows me he isnt the type of character we want at the saints, when were trying to build a very very solid culture than has a strong alignment to the VFL.

personally i dont think he is KPD were looking for but he may be the only option available. the rumor i have heard is that mitch was actually plan b and frawley was the first port of call (although they couldnt get him out of the contract he was in).

as you have suggested trav, i think mitch will have a contract extension put under his nose and he will re-sign for another 2 years. vozzo will end up regretting not taking pick 25 and cripps as i truly believe someone else will surpass mitch at wce (free agency?). i think we will land someone else in the next off season and actually draft a few KPD in the next draft (apparently its a bumper crop of KPF/KPD, the best KPD often get drafted as KPF).

defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:because Glass is getting older ... the word is he is very happy at West Coast it was only his lack of games in AFL that had him looking elsewhere ... my money will be on him getting more games this year in the Eagles as the WCE manage Glass through the season
thats a load of crap.. Hutchison Baines were running the show with regards to the trades and for WCE Craig Vozzo and Rohan O’Brien were doing the wheels and deals ... Watters and Worsfold's relationship had nothing to do with it
where did this watters worsfold rift come from? very wierd. i've never heard of it before and i find it surprising given both players played alot of football together very early on

Richter
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:Thanks APS. Didn't expect you to put yourself on the spot or betray a confidence. Enough said.
Likewise.

:D :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what the buzz is based on, not enough consistency to his career to predict either way.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: I was told that Worsfold and Watters really dislike each other. And that it was Worsfold who refused to deal with the Saints because of it.
where did this watters worsfold rift come from? very wierd. i've never heard of it before and i find it surprising given both players played alot of football together very early on
the rumour i think RF is talking about might have stemed from a supossed rift about a subiaco p the season[/quote]layer who was delisted by WCE and the way some WCE players were being played while a subi also i think there was a bit of dislike from when Scotty was in the media .. but as i said theres nothing really to it although its said that the 92 premiership team are very tight but those who missed out not so much

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/