Why not Hickey to full back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DK27
Club Player

Why not Hickey to full back?

I have been reading lots of posts about our lack of a tall defender. Stanley has been put forward as an option. I think he doesn't have the strength to lower his centre of gravity and hold his position in a marking contest. Basically, he is pushed out of position too easily. Hickey is quick, can hold his position well in a marking contest and is better when the ball is on the ground as well. His field kicking looks awkward but usually gets to the target. With teams rotating players, if there is no tall forward to play on, he can do some minutes in the ruck or as he did at Gold Coast, play forward a bit. If Stanley gets injured, as he does often, then we have ruck coverage on the ground already. If McEvoy is first ruck with Stanley playing forward and rucking support, there is no spot in the team for Hickey anyway. Try him back or play at Sandringham. I know what I would do.

The team looks much better balanced with Hickey or Lee taking a tall forward leaving Fisher to do what he does so well, which is be third man up and the free player to cleanly get the ball out of defence. Without Goddard, having someone with a cool head and good foot skills to get the ball moving forward looks to be a problem for us too. We need Fisher free of major defensive roles if possible.

In a previous thread I suggested Lee as the full back and many canned the idea. He is still a great option in my opinion as we have many forward options but need to sure up our defence. He has the advantage of having experience in the role too at a lower level. Until Riewoldt and Kossie are gone, a spot forward looks limited. Play him back until the forward spot is free.

Basically I don't think Stanley has the tools to play as a defender and we have a few others that have a better skill set to play defence on the gorillas. (I just saw the replay of the Geelong game where Hawkins made Gwilt look pretty bad. Gwilt is a good player but it is unfair to have him give away 10cm and at least 10kg.) (As an aside, Kossie played OK for a guy who had no possessions and was subbed off in this Geelong game. He made a few goals for crumbers by competing well in the air and using his body to open up space for teammates. Rucked OK for a bit too. Playing well is not just about stats.)

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Why not Hickey to full back?

Tippett, Cox, etc for sure. But I really cant see it happening on Cloke, Brown, Hawkins etc.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He is a ruckman who can play forward. He isnt going to be played at FB.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If we needed a Full Back we would have recruited one, Full Forwards are more important, we've recruited plenty of them...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Because he is a ruckman.

Is as a pure ruckman as any young ruck going around, and has a strength of tap-outs, something BigMac struggles with... No element of his game suits FB at all...

DK27
Club Player

A lot on here think Stanley is a FB option and all I am saying is that Hickey has a better skill set than Stanley to do the job.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Until Riewoldt and Kossie are gone, a spot forward looks limited.
Sadly I think Kosi is already gone, at least as a forward.

Wilkes was already preferred to him towards the end of last season.

Lee kicked 60 in the WAFL last season, which suggests to me he is a natural goal-kicker and should be played in front of the goals.

I haven't seen enough of Hickey to comment on whether he could hold down full back, but good on you for thinking outside the square. Would he be quick enough and have the closing speed?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we were to play Hickey at fullback, would not we be returning to the not enough ruckmen situation we have had in recent years?

PJ
SS Life Member

Robertson is more likely than Hickey

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Rosco
Club Player

Roberton? No s. The guy that's smaller than simpkin.

Can't imagine hickey would be mobile enough, not many dinosaur fwds going around.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Why not Clint Jones to full back?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I still buy the 'rumour' that Stanley will get a run there in the NAB cup and we'll see how it goes...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee started the WAFL season as a backman but really didnt set the world on fire once he was moved into the forward line he started to make a name for himself to the point where he was talked up as an AFL draft prospect (big rumour was Freo were super keen on him)... if we were to play Tom Lee as a fullback i reckon he will become the next whipping boy as he is not great as a defender and cause he came at the cost of pick 12 the usual suspects will be calling for his blood if he gets a goal kicked on him ... Tom Lee is best suited in the forward line and is a waste of a pick if played else where

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Tom Lee started the WAFL season as a backman but really didnt set the world on fire once he was moved into the forward line he started to make a name for himself to the point where he was talked up as an AFL draft prospect (big rumour was Freo were super keen on him)... if we were to play Tom Lee as a fullback i reckon he will become the next whipping boy as he is not great as a defender and cause he came at the cost of pick 12 the usual suspects will be calling for his blood if he gets a goal kicked on him ... Tom Lee is best suited in the forward line and is a waste of a pick if played else where
disagree, lee was very serviceable down back for claremont circa 2011. spent alot of time down there whilst wilkes was the main fwd target after they gave up on him being a backmen. as for making a name for himself, what player ever makes a name for themselves in the WAFL as a KPD that gets the attention of recruiters?

i completely disagree that playing lee down back is a waste of a pick. playing lee down back could be very helpful in his development and you just never know how good he could be down there. now is the time to do it, now that we still have roo who looks back on the up form wise.

having said that i think people are starting to believe some of the misinformed hype coming from certain people about lee. i've heard words like "elite athleticism" "elite agility for his height" "elite jump" "freak". same words have come from people who have probably seen him in the foxtel cup and thats it. the guy was good as a fwd in the wafl but a couple of things need to be taken into consideration:
a) he had the best delivery coming from the best midfield in the wafl by a pretty decent margin,
b) the wafl lacks decent KPD. the eyes have been picked out of the wafl and the talent pool is starting to suffer. its still a decent comp but its been a while since the KPD stocks have run deep.,
c) and most importantly going from the wafl to the afl will be a huge jump for lee. his endurance will be a big question mark,

saint6709
Club Player

I think he will be great as the third tall forward - sure the afl kpp's will be a big step up from those in the wafl - but he is likely to be matched with the oppositions 3rd string 'big backman' - which should give him a crack

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Image
Missed your sense of humour mate! Happy Easter!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Between Simpkin, Fisher, Gwilt, Roberton, Gilbert, Dempster & a chop out from the ruckman we should be able to get by with a team defence. Fingers crossed it would be good to see a Ferguson, Lee, Hickey, Stanley or any other new player see an opportunity there and put their hand up for a crack at it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Tom Lee started the WAFL season as a backman but really didnt set the world on fire once he was moved into the forward line he started to make a name for himself to the point where he was talked up as an AFL draft prospect (big rumour was Freo were super keen on him)... if we were to play Tom Lee as a fullback i reckon he will become the next whipping boy as he is not great as a defender and cause he came at the cost of pick 12 the usual suspects will be calling for his blood if he gets a goal kicked on him ... Tom Lee is best suited in the forward line and is a waste of a pick if played else where
disagree, lee was very serviceable down back for claremont circa 2011. spent alot of time down there whilst wilkes was the main fwd target after they gave up on him being a backmen. as for making a name for himself, what player ever makes a name for themselves in the WAFL as a KPD that gets the attention of recruiters?

i completely disagree that playing lee down back is a waste of a pick. playing lee down back could be very helpful in his development and you just never know how good he could be down there. now is the time to do it, now that we still have roo who looks back on the up form wise.

having said that i think people are starting to believe some of the misinformed hype coming from certain people about lee. i've heard words like "elite athleticism" "elite agility for his height" "elite jump" "freak". same words have come from people who have probably seen him in the foxtel cup and thats it. the guy was good as a fwd in the wafl but a couple of things need to be taken into consideration:
a) he had the best delivery coming from the best midfield in the wafl by a pretty decent margin,
b) the wafl lacks decent KPD. the eyes have been picked out of the wafl and the talent pool is starting to suffer. its still a decent comp but its been a while since the KPD stocks have run deep.,
c) and most importantly going from the wafl to the afl will be a huge jump for lee. his endurance will be a big question mark,
My thoughts when i saw the Foxtel games was that he seemed like he got a lot of his goals roving the pack like Milne. He did a bit of Jack Riewoldt like jumps and play ons but wasn't exactly a tall type to me. Looked like an over sized small forward. He has super clean hands for his size and seems to control the ball beautifully when he gets it. More super efficient than dominant. doesn't look a backman but I don't know how hw played there in the WAFL.

Hickey would be the best option of the talls as he isn't exactly dominating anywhere yet and it is easier to play as a defender if you don't know the game inside out.

Q-TRAIN
Club Player

You might get a few young tall 'utility' type players who are switched around in different positions from their junior to senior careers . But you dont get many 'Genuine' ruckmen playing anywhere other than the Ruck or Forward. Off the top of my head i cant think of a 'genuine' ruck becoming a decent backman.
Cant see Hickey playing anywhere else than forward and ruck. ( lets hope he does a bloody good job as well :D )

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

in 2011 Lee was good in the back line in 2012 he had pretty poor run of games against the Royals (i think it was Josh Smith who have a feild day on him) East Freo and South Freo where he was one of the tigers poorer players when he was moved up forward he just looked more comfortable and more composed .. ill agree he does get hyped up a fair bit but thats not exactly a bad thing as i think he id very much a confidence player.
i will agree he did get some cream service from the tigers midfield and the key back spots are not the strongest in the land (although from memory he did kick a few on some AFL listed players in 2012
the pace of ALF is going to be the test for him thats why i think playing as a key back is going to be madness as he will get run into the ground early on by the more agile and endurance gut running forwards in the comp .. i reckon as mentioned before a role as the third tall in the forward line is going to be his best spot

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote:

in 2011 Lee was good in the back line in 2012 he had pretty poor run of games against the Royals (i think it was Josh Smith who have a feild day on him) East Freo and South Freo where he was one of the tigers poorer players when he was moved up forward he just looked more comfortable and more composed .. ill agree he does get hyped up a fair bit but thats not exactly a bad thing as i think he id very much a confidence player.
i will agree he did get some cream service from the tigers midfield and the key back spots are not the strongest in the land (although from memory he did kick a few on some AFL listed players in 2012
the pace of ALF is going to be the test for him thats why i think playing as a key back is going to be madness as he will get run into the ground early on by the more agile and endurance gut running forwards in the comp .. i reckon as mentioned before a role as the third tall in the forward line is going to be his best spot
thanks for the insight

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote: in 2011 Lee was good in the back line in 2012 he had pretty poor run of games against the Royals (i think it was Josh Smith who have a feild day on him) East Freo and South Freo where he was one of the tigers poorer players
so you want us to ignore an entire season when claremont was stable and write him off as a backmen after 3 games when claremont were under a new coach and all the issues that brings along with them trying to readjust the fwd line after losing wilkes. right.....
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:.. ill agree he does get hyped up a fair bit but thats not exactly a bad thing as i think he id very much a confidence player.
i doubt tom lee and the st kilda football club give two s***s about what st kilda fans think of him and the hype that surrounds him. all that matters is what the coaching panel and the team internally think of his output and performance. my point was not about tom lee or the club but again the fans having an "Expert opionion" on a player they probably havent seen play for more than 5 games.
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i will agree he did get some cream service from the tigers midfield and the key back spots are not the strongest in the land (although from memory he did kick a few on some AFL listed players in 2012
ok. so you agree with me. and those afl players he kicked bags on arent worth much chop, including one we were reportedly willing to through away cripps, pick 25, pick 26 for. absolute insanity.
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the pace of ALF is going to be the test for him thats why i think playing as a key back is going to be madness as he will get run into the ground early on by the more agile and endurance gut running forwards in the comp .. i reckon as mentioned before a role as the third tall in the forward line is going to be his best spot
because you know, that worked so well for jack watts when he was struggling to keep up with the pace of the game. the game is littered with examples of young fwds having to go down back to build their tank and learn the running patterns that are required to be a fwd. lee would do very well to play some games down back like wilkes did.

DK27
Club Player

Hickey at his draft camp came second in the clean hands exercise, top 10 in 3km time trial (along with Jack Newnes) and the highest ranked tall in the agility test. So one would assume he has good hands, great endurance and agility. Listed as 96kg so unlikely to be pushed around too. All he has to do as our full back is make high ball contests and spoil effectively. Dawson did it well so I think he could too.

saint6709
Club Player

DK27 wrote:Hickey at his draft camp came second in the clean hands exercise, top 10 in 3km time trial (along with Jack Newnes) and the highest ranked tall in the agility test. So one would assume he has good hands, great endurance and agility. Listed as 96kg so unlikely to be pushed around too. All he has to do as our full back is make high ball contests and spoil effectively. Dawson did it well so I think he could too.
Cheers for the stats they are impressive - for me it sounds like he is an outstanding rucking option - Stanly at FB for me