St Kilda pre Season -AFL . com.au

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda pre Season -AFL . com.au

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: St Kilda pre Season -AFL . com.au

Plenty of promising news in there, including how well most have gone since returning from Utah. I feel that camp is going to be great for the group, not just because of the physical benefits, but also the bonding that will have gone on with everyone being away with each other for an extended period. Will have been especially good for those new to the club, as it makes it a lot easier for them to get to know everyone quickly and feel a part of it.

Glad to hear that CJ is going well, too. He needs to be right back to his best to be a chance of playing most of next year I believe and will benefit us if he is back to his best, because we could do with his clearance/inside abilities and also his tagging.

Will be interesting to see how much Wright, Murdoch and Saunders play next year, too. With Gram and Cripps gone, we may be looking to inject some more pace and Wright and Saunders in particular provide breakaway speed and also a liking of run and carry, by the looks of them, so they may get a few games each. Murdoch has a ready made build, so if he plays well at Sandy he could also get himself some games. On the other hand, the likes of Ross, Dunell, Ledger, Newnes, Curren, Webster and TDL will probably have "dibs" on them, or be more likely to play ahead of them, so they may have to bide their time. Been a long time since we've had so many "kids" that would be a good chance of playing seniors I reckon, though, which is really exciting.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I genuinely cannot wait to see Saunders, something just has me really looking forward to watching him develop, upgrade on Cripps IMO.

Interesting that the article states Murdoch as a medium backman. Pretty sure he was a fwd playing juniors so there is Grammys replacement.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:I genuinely cannot wait to see Saunders, something just has me really looking forward to watching him develop, upgrade on Cripps IMO.

Interesting that the article states Murdoch as a medium backman. Pretty sure he was a fwd playing juniors so there is Grammys replacement.
Yeah, someone gave us the tip on BigFooty that we were interested in Saunders a week or so before the draft and I immediately had a bit of a read up on him and a look at his highlights package and I loved what I saw and read from the outset and was really keen for us to grab him, if the rumour was correct. Just looks like a clone (albeit taller) of Foley from Richmond and I loved the way he would just get the ball and look to charge through a gap and bolt out of the pack and run and carry with the ball. Those that can break the lines and run and carry like him are invaluable and also terrific to watch. Possibly like a taller and more inside version of Aussie Jones, potentially (but probably without the natural goalkicking and brilliant disposal).

He just seems to tick so many boxes. Can play both inside and outside, has the great and fairly rare combination of both genuine speed and also outstanding endurance, gets a good amount of the footy, kicks it well, has good disposal efficiency, excellent tackle numbers (5 per game this year) and according to the club has a really great attitude, character and work ethic.

By the sounds of what I read about him he hasn't been in the elite junior system for long though, so that is why he probably wasn't taken earlier, or on more club's radars. According to his junior club (Geelong Falcons) he apparently really improved as the season went on and "improved his understanding of the game significantly" throughout the season, so from reading between the lines of all I read, I have the feeling he may not have played a heap of footy and may be from more of an athletics background (when I first googled his name it brought up junior athletics results- 100m and 200m and relays), so the scope for improvement with him is probably pretty high.

Many will say "oh he was only taken at pick 43, so he probably won't be any good", but just to give an idea of some of those taken at 43 in previous drafts, we have Adam Goodes, Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Gilbee, who have gone alright and nearby or later we have Jack Steven and Nathan Vardy at 42, Rory Sloane and Heath Scotland at 44, Kade Simpson 45, Corey Enright and Rhys Stanley at 47, Sam Fisher at 50odd, Ryan O'Keefe 56, Andrew Embley 57, Dane Swan 58, Adam Schneider 60 (originally), Jimmy Gwilt at 60 or so, Brian Lake 71, Siposs at 75, etc, etc, so the fact he was taken in the 40's doesn't necessarily mean a whole hill of beans.

As for Murdoch, he did previously play as an "undersized full forward" (kicked 31 goals in his 6 games in the SANFL Colts last year, after moving there from the bush late in the season), but they realised he was likely to be too short to play that role in the AFL, so this year he was reportedly played a lot across HB and on the wing, to give the AFL clubs something else to go on. He didn't do as well in those roles, but he obviously has good footy ability and recorded very good endurance, speed and jump results at the combine, so I think we're just banking on him improving in those other roles as he gets more used to playing them, given that he has the endurance and so on to be suited to them. If he doesn't though, we can always go back to him playing as a "lead-up half forward", a-la Ryan O'Keefe.

There is some good reading on him in this thread here, for those that want to know a bit more about him: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/m ... ie.981748/

defacto
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
St Ick wrote:I genuinely cannot wait to see Saunders, something just has me really looking forward to watching him develop, upgrade on Cripps IMO.

Yeah, someone gave us the tip on BigFooty that we were interested in Saunders a week or so before the draft and I immediately had a bit of a read up on him and a look at his highlights package and I loved what I saw and read from the outset and was really keen for us to grab him, if the rumour was correct. Just looks like a clone (albeit taller) of Foley from Richmond and I loved the way he would just get the ball and look to charge through a gap and bolt out of the pack and run and carry with the ball. Those that can break the lines and run and carry like him are invaluable and also terrific to watch. Possibly like a taller and more inside version of Aussie Jones, potentially (but probably without the natural goalkicking and brilliant disposal).

He just seems to tick so many boxes. Can play both inside and outside, has the great and fairly rare combination of both genuine speed and also outstanding endurance, gets a good amount of the footy, kicks it well, has good disposal efficiency, excellent tackle numbers (5 per game this year) and according to the club has a really great attitude, character and work ethic.

By the sounds of what I read about him he hasn't been in the elite junior system for long though, so that is why he probably wasn't taken earlier, or on more club's radars. According to his junior club (Geelong Falcons) he apparently really improved as the season went on and "improved his understanding of the game significantly" throughout the season, so from reading between the lines of all I read, I have the feeling he may not have played a heap of footy and may be from more of an athletics background (when I first googled his name it brought up junior athletics results- 100m and 200m and relays), so the scope for improvement with him is probably pretty high.

Many will say "oh he was only taken at pick 43, so he probably won't be any good", but just to give an idea of some of those taken at 43 in previous drafts, we have Adam Goodes, Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Gilbee, who have gone alright and nearby or later we have Jack Steven and Nathan Vardy at 42, Rory Sloane and Heath Scotland at 44, Kade Simpson 45, Corey Enright and Rhys Stanley at 47, Sam Fisher at 50odd, Ryan O'Keefe 56, Andrew Embley 57, Dane Swan 58, Adam Schneider 60 (originally), Jimmy Gwilt at 60 or so, Brian Lake 71, Siposs at 75, etc, etc, so the fact he was taken in the 40's doesn't necessarily mean a whole hill of beans.

As for Murdoch, he did previously play as an "undersized full forward" (kicked 31 goals in his 6 games in the SANFL Colts last year, after moving there from the bush late in the season), but they realised he was likely to be too short to play that role in the AFL, so this year he was reportedly played a lot across HB and on the wing, to give the AFL clubs something else to go on. He didn't do as well in those roles, but he obviously has good footy ability and recorded very good endurance, speed and jump results at the combine, so I think we're just banking on him improving in those other roles as he gets more used to playing them, given that he has the endurance and so on to be suited to them. If he doesn't though, we can always go back to him playing as a "lead-up half forward", a-la Ryan O'Keefe.

There is some good reading on him in this thread here, for those that want to know a bit more about him: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/m ... ie.981748/
great post. i do not follow the juniors closely. but i remember seeing saunders highlights package and being blown away thinking how did this kid slide so far. same with white.

but hey proof will be how they go in 8 years time.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know anything at all about Jimmy Webster? Played three Sandy games last year, eight for the dev squad.

Is he looking OK? Did he ever? What sort of player is he? What was he drafted as? How's his training? Where does he fit in line with the rest?

Seems to be the sort of guy who went in there a year ago and just disappeared. Hopefully not a Paul Cahill-type story where he has some injuries, doesn't show much and then disappears from the list without ever making an impression on anyone.

defacto
Club Player

bergholt wrote:Does anyone know anything at all about Jimmy Webster? Played three Sandy games last year, eight for the dev squad.

Is he looking OK? Did he ever? What sort of player is he? What was he drafted as? How's his training? Where does he fit in line with the rest?

Seems to be the sort of guy who went in there a year ago and just disappeared. Hopefully not a Paul Cahill-type story where he has some injuries, doesn't show much and then disappears from the list without ever making an impression on anyone.
had injuries last year i believe

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I love his highlight reel Saunders. Plays like Joel Selwood. Wright plays exciting footy and has a bit of x factor, if he can kick straighter and improve his disposal count he should be a beauty. I'm not sold on murdoch yet but they must see something.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:Does anyone know anything at all about Jimmy Webster? Played three Sandy games last year, eight for the dev squad.

Here is what one of the "draft watchers" had to say about him in their mock draft last year on BF:

"# 59– Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy / 187 / 72 / 93)

Love watching Jimmy play and think he might go a bit higher than this. Ex AIS kid who is a one touch hands and then becomes one of those 70m types who then just finishes it off really well. They are good attributes to have and whilst I think he is probably a couple of years away and will start off HB he will work his way into the midfield group with a bit extra weight. The knock is he probably just needs to influence games more and for the Div 2 kids this is where the champs are important and unfortunately he didn’t have a great one. But look he is an exceptional athlete and a beautiful kick who has shown he could be an A grader.
AFL Comparison – Clint Young sort of player" (Snoop Dog)

He is a good height (listed at 188cm, but may have grown a touch since), but is very lightly framed and doesn't look like he'll ever be much more solidly built than say a Farren Ray, so basically he is likely to be best suited to an outside running role, where he can use his excellent endurance, good speed and beautiful long left foot kick to advantage.

12 months before he was drafted he was quite highly regarded and consequently he was one of a select number to be invited to the AIS Academy, but he then had a very interrupted year leading up to the draft ("Shin splints kept me out for eight weeks, then had my appendix out as well so that was another three weeks.") and I'd say largely as a result of that he didn't perform as well as previously expected at the champs and also probably being a bit out of sight out of mind, playing at club level down in Tassie, he slid down a fair bit lower than he probably would have been taken otherwise.

This is what the club have to say about him in his bio on the club website:

"Jimmy came from a long way behind. Two years prior to being drafted he hadn’t played a lot of footy because his body hadn’t fully developed. This year he had some issues with his shins so it was all about managing his workload. He managed to play 11 games of footy, which was more than he had played in his previous two seasons."

So basically he's played bugger-all footy in the past 3 years, but has a lot of ability and great athletic attributes (came 4th at the combine in the standing vertical jump, 10th in the 3km time trial (Jack Newnes came 6th) and came equal 2nd in the kicking test), so the club are obviously hoping that it and he get his body in order so that he gets out on the park and shows what he's got. He was probably what you would consider a "high risk high reward" type pick. With all the issues he's had with his body he could easily never play a game, but on the other hand, if he gets his body in order and gets somewhere close to his potential out on the park, he could be very good and damaging.

Here is the rest of what the club have to say about him in the bio:

Jimmy Webster was drafted from Glenorchy (TAS) as pick #42 overall in the 2011 AFL National Draft.

A running defender/wingman from country Mangalore in Tasmania, Jimmy has a good speed, knows how to hit targets by foot and has clean hands.

In 2010, Jimmy’s strong Club performances gained him entrance to the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) AFL scholarship, where he toured Europe with the AIS squad.

Last year was a frustrating season when injury restricted him to just 7 games. However, Jimmy impressed at the 2011 AFL Draft Combine and has worked hard during his first season at St Kilda, showing much promise for the future.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

Here is what one of the "draft watchers" had to say about him in their mock draft last year on BF:

"# 59– Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy / 187 / 72 / 93)

Love watching Jimmy play and think he might go a bit higher than this. Ex AIS kid who is a one touch hands and then becomes one of those 70m types who then just finishes it off really well. They are good attributes to have and whilst I think he is probably a couple of years away and will start off HB he will work his way into the midfield group with a bit extra weight. The knock is he probably just needs to influence games more and for the Div 2 kids this is where the champs are important and unfortunately he didn’t have a great one. But look he is an exceptional athlete and a beautiful kick who has shown he could be an A grader.
AFL Comparison – Clint Young sort of player" (Snoop Dog)

He is a good height (listed at 188cm, but may have grown a touch since), but is very lightly framed and doesn't look like he'll ever be much more solidly built than say a Farren Ray, so basically he is likely to be best suited to an outside running role, where he can use his excellent endurance, good speed and beautiful long left foot kick to advantage.

12 months before he was drafted he was quite highly regarded and consequently he was one of a select number to be invited to the AIS Academy, but he then had a very interrupted year leading up to the draft ("Shin splints kept me out for eight weeks, then had my appendix out as well so that was another three weeks.") and I'd say largely as a result of that he didn't perform as well as previously expected at the champs and also probably being a bit out of sight out of mind, playing at club level down in Tassie, he slid down a fair bit lower than he probably would have been taken otherwise.

This is what the club have to say about him in his bio on the club website:

"Jimmy came from a long way behind. Two years prior to being drafted he hadn’t played a lot of footy because his body hadn’t fully developed. This year he had some issues with his shins so it was all about managing his workload. He managed to play 11 games of footy, which was more than he had played in his previous two seasons."

So basically he's played bugger-all footy in the past 3 years, but has a lot of ability and great athletic attributes (came 4th at the combine in the standing vertical jump, 10th in the 3km time trial (Jack Newnes came 6th) and came equal 2nd in the kicking test), so the club are obviously hoping that it and he get his body in order so that he gets out on the park and shows what he's got. He was probably what you would consider a "high risk high reward" type pick. With all the issues he's had with his body he could easily never play a game, but on the other hand, if he gets his body in order and gets somewhere close to his potential out on the park, he could be very good and damaging.

Here is the rest of what the club have to say about him in the bio:

Jimmy Webster was drafted from Glenorchy (TAS) as pick #42 overall in the 2011 AFL National Draft.

A running defender/wingman from country Mangalore in Tasmania, Jimmy has a good speed, knows how to hit targets by foot and has clean hands.

In 2010, Jimmy’s strong Club performances gained him entrance to the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) AFL scholarship, where he toured Europe with the AIS squad.

Last year was a frustrating season when injury restricted him to just 7 games. However, Jimmy impressed at the 2011 AFL Draft Combine and has worked hard during his first season at St Kilda, showing much promise for the future.

When I was in Hobart I had a crazy old man tell us Webster would be a gun and said best player ever to come out of Tassie blah blah. I hope he was on the money not just the grog, I have taken an interest ever since. Hope he makes a crazy old man a prophet.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Hope so too, although I don't expect him to be anywhere near as good as some of those to have come out of Tassie. I would suggest that he must have shown a lot in the few matches he did play in 2010 to have been invited to the AIS, though, so I think it's fair to say the talent and athleticism and so on are there. If we see him in Saints colours at all next year (even in the NAB Cup) I will take that as a very good sign, but he probably has a long way to go at this stage.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 01 Jan 2013 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

When I was in Hobart I had a crazy old man tell us Webster would be a gun and said best player ever to come out of Tassie blah blah. I hope he was on the money not just the grog, I have taken an interest ever since. Hope he makes a crazy old man a prophet.
better than baldock, stewart, hudson, bonney, lawrence, reiwoldt x 2?????...now that would really be something......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:

better than baldock, stewart, hudson, bonney, lawrence, reiwoldt x 2?????...now that would really be something......
Throw Roy Apted in there too stinger....................... if I recall Apted was a Taswegian. Happy New Year, you scallywag :P

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Webster better than Royce Hart too?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Webster better than Royce Hart too?

I'd be happy with better than Richo even.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'll be happy if he's a lot better than Jody Arnol

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock: