Kosi The Enigma

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi The Enigma

bergholt wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:The only dud is you.

0 games 0 credibility
Does that mean that none of us are actually allowed to comment on football matters?
Just mean that that any stupid comments won't be given any credibility

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I expect Kosi to be in the team for the first match for 2013. The others are yet to prove themselves.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Yaysaints wrote:Ah the "kosi phenomenon" Being concussed adds five years to your age.
You do realise that he had a fractured skull, causing him to miss almost a full season of footy, followed by repeated concussions and fainting and so on, followed by repeated injuries, don't you? Are you telling me that you know for a fact all that hasn't aged him significantly, at least physically?

There is a reason concussions are becoming a big talking point in professional sport these days and it's not because they are good for you, especially the types you are likely to get when you have your skull fractured, I wouldn't imagine.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I expect Kosi to be in the team for the first match for 2013. The others are yet to prove themselves.
Wow! That's a big call.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: assess Kosi all you want but you're assessing him against your own expectations that he should have been a much better player. Notwithstanding that he has played some poor games the last couple of years, he has probably played the role that the coaches wanted him to play which was to provide a forward contest in the air to bring the ball to the ground to create goal opportunities and to take the heat off Rooey. This type of role isn't going to win you too many B&F votes but it doesn't mean you are not contributing.

Also, the game has completely changed as well which means that apart from this role, Kosi is now next to useless in the team.

Coaches knew his limitations and realised ages ago that he was never going be a superstar which was evident in the way he was used. Some supporters have just been slow to catch on and are still clinging to his 2005 form.

And you're not assessing him against your perceptions and expectations????

If all he does is create a contest in the air and bring the ball to ground then that's not enough. I'd be pretty disappointed if the only expectation of our full forward from the coaches is to create a contest. And when it does come to ground he's next to useless. So you agree that's all he does but you're defending him as 'playing a role'. How do you know what role the coach has for him and if he's fulfilling it? Sounds like your doing exactly the same as me and assessing him against your expectations.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
SaintPav wrote: assess Kosi all you want but you're assessing him against your own expectations that he should have been a much better player. Notwithstanding that he has played some poor games the last couple of years, he has probably played the role that the coaches wanted him to play which was to provide a forward contest in the air to bring the ball to the ground to create goal opportunities and to take the heat off Rooey. This type of role isn't going to win you too many B&F votes but it doesn't mean you are not contributing.

Also, the game has completely changed as well which means that apart from this role, Kosi is now next to useless in the team.

Coaches knew his limitations and realised ages ago that he was never going be a superstar which was evident in the way he was used. Some supporters have just been slow to catch on and are still clinging to his 2005 form.

If all he does is create a contest in the air and bring the ball to ground then that's not enough. I'd be pretty disappointed if the only expectation of our full forward from the coaches is to create a contest. And when it does come to ground he's next to useless. So you agree that's all he does but you're defending him as 'playing a role'. How do you know what role the coach has for him and if he's fulfilling it? Sounds like your doing exactly the same as me and assessing him against your expectations.
:)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:How do you know what role the coach has for him and if he's fulfilling it?
If he keeps getting a game then he's probably fulfilling the role.

In the last six years he's missed about 20 games, and nine of those were suspensions. Even if he was never injured, that means he's only missed about 10 games in six years due to failing to fulfill the coach's role for him, under two different coaches.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

It's all opinion but the difference is I have realistic expectations. It's good as it leads to less disappointments in life.

I know what role he is playing as I listen to the coaches in the press conferences and interviews and I watch the game. It's not that hard.

If we are relying on Kosi to take us forward this year we are truly stuffed.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 31 Dec 2012 11:32am, edited 2 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

A lot of wasted posts in here.

He doesn't select himself.

(shrugs)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I expect Kosi to be in the team for the first match for 2013. The others are yet to prove themselves.
Wow! That's a big call.
i actually agree ... Kosi is a pretty solid trainer and for the first round i would imagine Scotty would pick the team with the players who have shown the most over the preseason training sessions , keeping the spot beyond round one is something else but i can see big Kosi being named

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Wow! That's a big call.
i actually agree ... Kosi is a pretty solid trainer and for the first round i would imagine Scotty would pick the team with the players who have shown the most over the preseason training sessions , keeping the spot beyond round one is something else but i can see big Kosi being named

I would think the 4 practice matches in the NAB cup would overide anything done at training. I think for our clubs sake we want Lee to outperform Kosi in those games.

Q-TRAIN
Club Player

I love the big lump of a bloke and i get a little bored of people bagging him. But i gotta admit , if some of our younger blokes surpass him during the practice /nab cup games and he cant fit into our Round 1 team , then we are probably in a better position than last yr.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Wow! That's a big call.
Trains a lot in Perth does he? In my opinion he's pretty slack on the training track.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Why insult Kosi? Why not insult our selection committee? Did you or do you insult people at your work who work up to it?
I'm not insulting anyone, just stating facts.

"Did you or do you insult people at your work who work up to it?" Please explain or rephrase the question.

an opinion is an opinion

it's not a fact as you can't prov eit

your opinion is different to the coach's (GT, RL and SW) opinion

now that's a fact

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Why insult Kosi? Why not insult our selection committee? Did you or do you insult people at your work who work up to it?
I'm not insulting anyone, just stating facts.

"Did you or do you insult people at your work who work up to it?" Please explain or rephrase the question.

an opinion is an opinion

it's not a fact as you can't prov eit

your opinion is different to the coach's (GT, RL and SW) opinion

now that's a fact
Is it? I think that the fact was they didn't have other options. The other fact is that he's been untradeable since '08.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

this tread should be retitled: "Kosi the Enema"

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:this tread should be retitled: "Kosi the Enema"
Funny your mind would go there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Is it? I think that the fact was they didn't have other options. The other fact is that he's been untradeable since '08.
Really? Is there some publicly available source of info which confirms that? Because otherwise it's indistinguishable from an opinion.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Is it? I think that the fact was they didn't have other options. The other fact is that he's been untradeable since '08.
Really? Is there some publicly available source of info which confirms that? Because otherwise it's indistinguishable from an opinion.
It sounds likely.

Who would want him? Maybe GWS??

Problem is his trade value is next to nothing so it wouldn't have been a viable option over the past couple of seasons.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i actually agree ... Kosi is a pretty solid trainer and for the first round i would imagine Scotty would pick the team with the players who have shown the most over the preseason training sessions , keeping the spot beyond round one is something else but i can see big Kosi being named

I would think the 4 practice matches in the NAB cup would overide anything done at training. I think for our clubs sake we want Lee to outperform Kosi in those games.
depends on the path we choose to take in the NAB cup ... we might rest all the older players until the last game , we might have a rotation of the older guys in place .. i guess time will tell

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i actually agree ... Kosi is a pretty solid trainer and for the first round i would imagine Scotty would pick the team with the players who have shown the most over the preseason training sessions , keeping the spot beyond round one is something else but i can see big Kosi being named
Trains a lot in Perth does he? In my opinion he's pretty slack on the training track.
Kosi has had 4 coaches each one has played him , each coach come accross as the type to not take slack training lightly , in fact you would imagine he would not have got a game if he was a "slack" trainer ... my theory given the run big Kosi has had with regards to injury he would be on modified training that may seem like its "slack" from the outside but internally i would guess he is training to the standards expected of him for his age body type and history ... but hey lets just call him slack .... :roll:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Kosi has had 4 coaches each one has played him , each coach come accross as the type to not take slack training lightly , in fact you would imagine he would not have got a game if he was a "slack" trainer ... my theory given the run big Kosi has had with regards to injury he would be on modified training that may seem like its "slack" from the outside but internally i would guess he is training to the standards expected of him for his age body type and history ... but hey lets just call him slack .... :roll:
Wasn't it GT who said that Kosi had not fulfilled his potential through a lack of optimal preparation? I think that's where the impression, that he's not a good trainer, comes from. That goes back to 2006 at the latest. Can't imagine a driven disciplinarian like RL would've consistently played a poor trainer. Can't imagine cuddles would either. Can't imagine any current coach would. These days if your preparation isn't up to scratch, you don't play.

I reckon Kosi's had a pretty fair career. You don't get 195 games gifted to you at this level. I still believe his head injury in 2006 diminished him as a player. The incredible potential he showed in 2005 was doomed to remain unfulfilled because of that, IMHO. I think we often underestimate it's true impact. It was a devastating injury, similar to the type we see in car crash victims. Personally, I reckon he's done we'll to get this far.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kosi did have a good run in terms of selection over the years given we simply had no one else who could play his position. So granted he didn't pick himself but often the selectors simply had no choice. I think after that Geelong match the team mgt finally said enough is enough and formed a resolve to trade hard for options for this position - and the result - we spent high picks on Hickey and Lee so that they wouldn't be in that position again. In Hickeys case I suspect we also offered some fair coin to seal the deal. Needless to say - the days of picking Kosi based on no choice are over. He will have to really earn it from here on.

(On a side note I don't think hes the most meticulous of preparers in the AFL. Id put him in a mini-group with Schneids as a typical country knock-about bloke who doesnt mind sinking the piss.)

But when Kosi retires - he still played 200 games and kicked 250 goals and had a good career. Better than almost all players to pull on a boot in the VFL/AFL.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

heres the thing we have had other options ... from the days of Rix to the early McEvoy days to Pattison , Tommy Walsh even Rhys Stanley... there have been other options but Kosi has always been the better option so he hasnt been gifted games .. lets be honest at this level no player is gifted games especially not in teams who are playing regular finals

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:heres the thing we have had other options ... from the days of Rix to the early McEvoy days to Pattison , Tommy Walsh even Rhys Stanley... there have been other options but Kosi has always been the better option so he hasnt been gifted games .. lets be honest at this level no player is gifted games especially not in teams who are playing regular finals
Rix, Pattison and Tommy Walsh? I rest my case.